CSI: New York--'...Comes Around'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

A bachelorette party goes horribly awry when the woman's fiance is killed in the men's bathroom after he crashes the party. Even more shocking is the identity of the suspected killer: witnesses say they saw tennis champ John McEnroe with the bride-to-be, Angie Cusato, just before her fiance, Tony Rosso, stormed into the bar. McEnroe went to buy a condom for Angie as part of the bachelorette festivities, and somehow Tony ended up dead, impaled on the comdom machine. When Danny and Stella track down McEnroe, the tennis champ denies any involvement, and he has an alibi that holds up. Gravitational blood drops at the scene match McEnroe, puzzling the CSIs, until Danny uncovers a website that sells the blood of famous people. He and Flack track down the man selling the blood, who gives up the P.O. box of the man who bought it: Jimmy Nelson, a McEnroe doppleganger. Jimmy fought with Tony over Angie and then fled the scene after inadvertantly killing Tony, hoping to protect both himself and McEnroe.

While the rest of his team works the McEnroe case, Mac faces a hearing for his involvement in serial killer Clay Dobson's death. Departmental investigator Natalie Greer goes in for the kill, questioning Flack, Danny and Stella about Mac's conduct in the case. She's quick to point out that Dobson has suspicious injuries clearly not obtained in his fall and that Mac broke procedure when he left a crime scene to pursue Dobson without telling anyone. Mac feels the walls closing in--until he receives a call from none other than Dean Truby, the corrupt officer he put away. Truby leads him to a key piece of evidence: a belt Dobson used to try to hang himself, with Deputy Inspector Gerrard's fingerprints on it. Gerrard covered up the fact that Truby slipped up and forgot to remove Dobson's belt before locking him up--not an illegal move, but one Mac tells both Gerrard and Captain Brigham Sinclair won't look good to the press. Having beat Sinclair at his own political game, Mac is cleared of all charges.

Analysis:

The CSI shows aren't known for spending significant amounts of time on character development, but I have to hand it to the four writers who put together "...Comes Around": Mac's trial, which I thought might take up a few scenes here and there, is actually just as much--if not more--of a focus as the murder mystery in this episode. And guess what? It's every bit as gripping--if not more so--than a regular episode of the show. In fact, the last episode of CSI: NY I enjoyed this much was probably "Raising Shane", which was similarly focused on the cast as an ensemble.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

What? No mention of the fact that the writers are finally listening to us and that Danny/Flack bar scene was actually a date? :( :lol:

Great review! You touch on all the character-driven moments that make this a truly compelling episode.

MrsGiovinazzo said:
What? No mention of the fact that the writers are finally listening to us and that Danny/Flack bar scene was actually a date? :( :lol:

That was definitely a man-date :lol: and the writers have my eternal gratitude for that scene. There's something really fun about watching these two interact, in part because they're such opposites and yet such good friends at the same time. The more Danny and Flack scenes, the better.

Great review! You touch on all the character-driven moments that make this a truly compelling episode.

Thanks! :) I really enjoyed the hell out of this one. :D

I enjoyed this episode a lot, plenty of Flack scenes, and we finally get to see him off duty and enjoying himself - what's not to love!
But I was dissapointed in the way they cleared up Mac's hearing. So basically Mac is off the hook for violating procedure, simply because he managed to prove that the other cop had done something worse? I expected better. But then, maybe it was too much to hope for that anybody would stand up to Mac and tell him that he did mess up and just because he's a cop, doesn't mean that people have to take his word for what happened. But no, instead we get pissy self-righteous Mac, and while yes, he was being used as a scapegoat, it still doesn't negate the fact that he screwed up. Dissappointing.

Great review!

Top41 said:
MrsGiovinazzo said:

That was definitely a man-date :lol: and the writers have my eternal gratitude for that scene. There's something really fun about watching these two interact, in part because they're such opposites and yet such good friends at the same time. The more Danny and Flack scenes, the better.
Of course it was a man-date. Were we supposed to think otherwise? They have such great chemistry together.

Ceindreadh said:
I enjoyed this episode a lot, plenty of Flack scenes, and we finally get to see him off duty and enjoying himself - what's not to love!

More Flack is always a good thing, and I love seeing him off-duty, especially with Danny. He really is much more relaxed, and it's nice to see him enjoying himself.

But I was dissapointed in the way they cleared up Mac's hearing. So basically Mac is off the hook for violating procedure, simply because he managed to prove that the other cop had done something worse? I expected better. But then, maybe it was too much to hope for that anybody would stand up to Mac and tell him that he did mess up and just because he's a cop, doesn't mean that people have to take his word for what happened. But no, instead we get pissy self-righteous Mac, and while yes, he was being used as a scapegoat, it still doesn't negate the fact that he screwed up. Dissappointing.

You're right, and I'm hoping from this point forward we'll see a less sanctimonious Mac. I think he knows he screwed up--how could he not?--and that that was part of his defensiveness about the whole thing. If he really had nothing to hide, the hearing probably would have still bothered him, but as more of an irritant than something he actually had to worry about. I do think it's interesting that the solution was as unethical as what he did on the roof--not entirely wrong, but not entirely right either. There was a lot of grey area in this episode, and I appreciated that.

[/QUOTE]
DragonflyDreamer said:
Great review!

Thank you! :)

Of course it was a man-date. Were we supposed to think otherwise? They have such great chemistry together.

They really do. I could watch a buddy cop drama about these two for years! I think it would be fun to see an episode with just the two of them on some sort of case. They're hilarious together, but I like more serious scenes between them, too, like this one, which illustrate the depth of their bond. So, bring on the man-dates. :lol:

**if i have posted this twice sorry having trouble with my dsl**

i haven't watched it (csi ny 3 is brodcasted late in asia) but as per reading the review and synopsis i think it would be great... seeing mac on the edge...exciting.. hmm.. hope i can watch it asap.. :(
i strongly agree with danny/floack chemistry.. a lot more compared to the romantic chemistry between danny and lindsay.. :p

^Danny and Flack definitely have better chemistry than Danny and Lindsay. :lol: The bar scene is a great scene--two characters hanging out, talking honestly, with no "agenda" like the romance one the writers are constantly trying to push with Danny and Lindsay. Maybe if we'd seen Danny and Lindsay interacting honestly as friends first and not with the "witty/flirty/cutesy banter" all the time, I might have bought them as a couple. The scene between Danny and Flack is a much better illustration of appealing interaction between the characters than anything between Danny and Lindsay has ever been.

I also like how Mac and Peyton interacted in the diner scene the next morning. Yes, they're romantically involved, but that wasn't the focus of that scene--she was giving him support, bolstering him up--much like Flack was with Danny the night before. The two scenes work so well together.

Back