'CSI' Fan Catches Rapist

CSI Files

Captain
Police in Leeds, England arrested the man who raped an 89-year-old woman by using DNA collected from her fingernails.<p>The woman was raped twice by <font color=yellow>Mauro Lopes</font> in March. According to the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/">Yorkshire Evening Post</a>, the woman told the police, "I have been watching <I>CSI</I> so I scratched his face so you could get DNA from my fingernails." The police were able to identify and charge Lopes within two days of the attack. His DNA was in a national database due to a 2005 drunk driving incident.<p>Lopes had been drinking and had an argument with his girlfriend. He knocked on the victim's door and asked if she called the police before barging into her home. He put a pillow over her face and raped her twice. The victim had to go to the hospital, and the attack prompted her to move out of her home.<p>The Recorder of Leeds, Judge <font color=yellow>Peter Collier</font> QC described the crime as "vile in the extreme" and sentenced Lopes to nine years in jail. The man came to England from Angola, Africa in 2002 on a false passport and later gained asylum. After he has served his sentence in the United Kingdom, he will be deported.<p>The original news is from the <A class="link" HREF="http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/CSI-fan-89-trapped-Leeds.5471487.jp">Yorkshire Evening Post</a>.<center></center>

It's hard to imagine a person doing something like this to another human being - much less an 89-year-old woman. It's disgusting, and I'm glad they were able to arrest him quickly so that he could pay for what he did.

It's hard to imagine a person doing something like this to another human being - much less an 89-year-old woman. It's disgusting, and I'm glad they were able to arrest him quickly so that he could pay for what he did.

Amen to that Fay, and I'd like to say, that at the end of the day, even here, after all the people and the relationships and words, at the end of the day it's giving people closure and justice when these terrible things happen to them. And if the CSI franchise could help that happen, well, then I think that makes it more than just a crime drama. :)

Back