CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--'Pilot'

CSI Files

Captain
With the strike delaying any new CSI franchise episodes until late March/early April, <font color=yellow>CSI Files</font> is taking the opportunity to go back to the beginning, offering reviews of episodes from the early seasons of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and CSI: Miami, many of which aired before the site's 2003 founding! The retro reviews will run until new episodes of the franchise start to air in the spring, and then pick back up in the summer while the shows are on hiatus.

Synopsis:

The body of a man, Roy Harmon, is found in a bathtub, the apparent victim of suicide. Gil Grissom, the nightshift CSI supervisor, plays Harmon's taped suicide note for his distraught mother, but she says the voice on the tape isn't Roy's. Grissom returns to the lab to meet his newest recruit, Holly Gribbs, the daughter of a traffic court cop who has just graduated from with a forensics degree. She's overcome at the Harmon autopsy, where the coroner confirms Harmon's death was indeed a homicide--and rushes out, only to get herself locked in the morgue. Holly's first night on the job only gets worse when Captain Jim Brass gives her a dressing down and dismisses her as a legacy hire. Grissom sends her on what should be a simple robbery case, but the owner aims a gun at her to get her to hurry up her processing and CSI Catherine Willows comes in to intervene and offer the new CSI a few words of encouragement.

CSIs Nick Stokes and Warrick Brown are in a fierce competition for a promotion to CSI Level 3. Both men are just once case away from closing the deal. Nick works a robbery where a man has been robbed by the prostitute he brought up to his hotel room. His lips are discolored, but when Nick takes the swab to tech Greg Sanders, nothing comes up. Nick lucks out when a young woman named Kristi Hopkins passes out while driving and gets into a minor car accident. She's sent to the hospital and the doctor observes a discoloration around her nipple. Nick gets her to admit to drugging the man who hired her, and agrees not to press charges if she returns the man's belongings and turns over the solution she used to drug him.

Warrick doesn't fare quite as well on his case; he's called to the scene of a home invasion turned deadly. A husband has shot the drunk friend of his wife who was staying with them for six months before the husband threw him out. He claims the drunk man returned to attack his family and he shot him in self-defense, but Warrick has his doubts. He notices the victim's left shoe has been retied and also notices that the husband's left pinkie toe is hurt. The man admits to retying the shoe after it flew off during the shooting, but denies ever putting the victim's shoe on his own foot. When Warrick finds a broken toenail inside the victim's shoe, he's convinced the husband kicked the door in himself using the victim's shoe to make it look like the victim broke in. But when Warrick goes around Brass to a get a warrant from a judge in exchange for placing a bet for him, Brass calls him out and gets him removed from the case. Grissom sends Warrick with Holly to the scene of a robbery and finishes the case up for him, going to the house and collecting toenail clippings from the husband and confirming that he did indeed wear the victim's shoe--and kill him in cold blood.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

:lol: Awesome! These retro reviews could be very interesting indeed. :D

It is weird looking back, to be honest I find the Pilot episode to be very strange now, as it is too different and things have progressed so much with the show that it just seems, well, weird... I find that with a lot of the first season actually. For me, the second season is where it all falls into place and the show really took off, although it is easy to see from some of the highlights of season one why the show is so popular. :)

This is a cool idea, great review. :D

I didn't see the Pilot to CSI until the show was already almost in its third season, so even seeing it for the first time was weird to me. I didn't follow it from the beginning so I had a lot of the same thoughts and feelings as were mentioned in the review. :cool: Again, great job. :D

Thanks, guys!

Elsie said:
:lol: Awesome! These retro reviews could be very interesting indeed. :D

It is weird looking back, to be honest I find the Pilot episode to be very strange now, as it is too different and things have progressed so much with the show that it just seems, well, weird...

It really does feel like a different show--much less stylized and a little...geekier, I guess, for lack of a better word. Grissom definitely seems a little more open in this episode than he does later on...not less odd, but a little less closed in.

speed_cochrane said:
This is a cool idea, great review. :D

I didn't see the Pilot to CSI until the show was already almost in its third season, so even seeing it for the first time was weird to me. I didn't follow it from the beginning so I had a lot of the same thoughts and feelings as were mentioned in the review. :cool: Again, great job. :D

I'll be honest, this is only my second time seeing the pilot, and I did not see it first run! It's easy to see how the pilot pulled people in right off the bat though.

Oh what a good idea! I'm excited hehe.

I love 'blasts from the past' so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for these.

Good way to fill in the missing episode times hehe.

J x

Back