CSI: Crime Scene Investigation--'Empty Eyes'

CSI Files

Captain
Synopsis:

The CSIs are horrified to find five Las Vegas showgirls dead in the house they all share. All five are bound and with the exception of one, have had their throats slashed. Sara is shocked when she stumbles across a sixth victim, Cammie, the final housemate, and finds the girl is alive. Sara calls for help but the girl dies in front of her, trying to tell her something about wine. The CSIs find a wine bottle in the kitchen with a custom label. Dr. Robbins determines five of the six victims died of exsanguination; the final victim, Becca, was stabbed to death after being raped. Two of the other victims, Emily and Laura, had sexual intercourse prior to their deaths, but Dr. Robbins can't tell if the acts were rape or consensual. He also notes a C-section scar on Cammie's stomach. Warrick is surprised to recognize one of the victims, Emily, as a girl from his old neighborhood and takes on the sad task of telling her grandmother that she's dead. Hodges is also forced to deliver bad news when the mother of Libby, another of the victims, calls her cell while it's in his lab.

The CSIs question Lewis Greyberg, a reporter who did an article on the showgirls when they did a charity drive for another showgirl battling breast cancer. He admits he sent the wine to the girls, but he claims it was a thank you to the girls for the article. When he mentions a kitchen-themed swag bag they gave away at the charity event, the CSIs ask to see the knife that was included in it. Mandy gets a hit off prints on the wine bottle and matches them to a man named Chris Mullins, who DJs at the club where the girls' danced. A trip to Mullins' home proves fruitless, but when they head to the bar he frequents, they find a man in the alleyway, his throat slashed. Sara comforts the man, whose name is Marlon Frost, and rides with him in the ambulence.

The CSIs track down Chris, who tells them he was seeing Lauren and met up with her that night. He claims he drank the wine then, and tells them that when Lauren was running late, he hooked up with Emily. DNA evidence backs up his story. The CSIs sit down to discuss the evidence and Sara has a revelation: Cammie wasn't trying to tell her about the wine, but a wine-like birthmark on the killer's chest: a wine-like birthmark that she recalls from Marlon Frost's chest. The killer has been right under their noses. His throat slashing must have been a failed suicide attempt. The CSIs piece it together: he followed Becca home from a bar where she stopped for cigarettes and threatened the roommates with a fake gun. Sara tracks down Corey, the man who fathered Cammie's baby, and tells him about Cammie's fate. Afterwards, shaken by the case, she admits to Grissom that she lost perspective.

Analysis:

"Empty Eyes" is a haunting, powerful entry in what has been without question a truly stellar season of CSI. Faced with steep competition--the most buzzed about drama on TV, Grey's Anatomy--the CSI writers have more than risen to the challenge and proved over and over that CSI is not only fresh after seven years, but it's also inventive and innovative, tweaking its own formula and changing with the times without giving in to flash in the pan trends.

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45\%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full reviews, please click here.<center></center>

Excellent review! I've missed those throughout the season. :)

Perhaps Greg's funny side will come out with next week's episode? It is written by Sarah "Rashomama" Goldfinger, after all....

Thanks! Yeah, I'm playing catch up. Unfortunately my Thursday nights have been busy and I've gotten behind. :eek:

"Lab Rats" definitely looks like it has potential for great humor! I can't wait. :D

I'm a really big CSI:LV fan so don't bash me for this but I had a problem with the Empty Eyes episode. Overall it was very good but the end just ruined it for me. The killer confesses that he didn't feel anything after what he did. If he didn't feel anything then why try to commit suicide? I would expect him to do that if he felt guilty but he didn't. Not only that but CSI only found/caught him because of the suicide attempt. I would have much rather had him try to attack another person and have himself slahed in the encounter. Or am I mistaken that he tried to kill himself? Other than that I love CSI and can't wait for the next one.

^No, that's a very good point. I interpreted it as an attempt to feel something--the suicide was a sign of utter despondency, because what's worse than feeling nothing? But, that doesn't quite fit the profile for a sociopath (someone who feels nothing for anyone beside himself/herself).

I'm never quite a fan of the "I did it because I could" motives, but at the same time, I think that's the horror of something like this happening--you think, surely there has to be a motive, it had to be a pissed off boyfriend, rejected lover, something to explain how someone could murder 6 people like that. But I guess there isn't always something that neat and easy, which is truly frightening. There are evil people out there, and ultimately what it comes down to is that no explanation is really going to satisfy because of the magnitude of the crime.

I had to accept the ending, because the real killer in the event that this story was based on also tried to kill himself. I don't have the links on me, but if you check my posts in the "Empty Eyes" thread, I have a couple of links there that explain what happened.

Back