CSI and it's representations

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by magicmelieste, Apr 8, 2010.

1. magicmelieste

magicmelieste Victim

Hello everyone, i'm fairly new here. I’m doing a research report on CSI and I could do with a little help from other CSI fans. I want to know if any of the CSI shows have influenced your views about crime and safety in the U.S. For example; do you believe they really use the forensic methods used in the show to solve real crimes? Does CSI highlight the dedication of the police forces' efforts to solve real crimes? Are forensics really that good at cracking crime?

Generally I’m just looking for some views and opinions that I can work with.

I would really appreciate any replys, whether it's a simple yes or no. I don't expect massively long answers or anything like that.

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

That is what we were discussing in the CSI, Too fake? thread in this section of the board. The producers have admitted to having real forensic advisors on the show and having access to real equipment loaned or given to them. But they do take shortcuts because they usually have to tell a story in 45 minutes or so. That is why DNA tests take a few minutes instead of days or weeks, or the fingerprints are among the first few to be displayed. I have learned a lot by watching these three series.

3. magicmelieste

magicmelieste Victim

Fair point. What i'm trying to get at is whether or not you think the police force (be it forensics, detectives, cops, etc) are anywhere near as good as they are represented in this show? I mean some shows are fairly authentic when it comes to presenting what they are supposed to be representing. I personally think CSI does represent the forensics aspect fairly accurately, but if they were really that good in reality then surely the world would be a safer place? or is that just me?
    I mean they practically solve almost every crime they come across, despite it appearing 'unsolveable'.