computer games w/Vista

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Steph, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Steph

Steph Prime Suspect

I recently purchased a Toshiba notebook with Windows Vista. Now that I have a computer of my own I'd like to start getting into the world of computer games. I know absolutely nothing about them so I was wondering if I can get some basic advice from people who are more familiar with computer games.

I also have two important questions:

1.) How do you know if a certain video game is compatible w/Vista? I've heard that sometimes if the game says "compatible w/XP" you can play it if you have Vista instead.

2.) I've heard it's hard to play games on laptops because there is not enough hard drive space. As of now, I have 85 GB free. Is this enough for a couple of games?

Thanks so much! :)

2. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Your best bet is to head on over to the Merchandise thread, as they can probably answer your questions better than anyone.

Hope that helps!

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Good questions, Steph. I have not used Vista, so I can't speak about that. But I once worked at a store that sold computer games and know a little bit about them.

1) If you see the box the game comes in sitting on a shelf in a store, it will usually have printed on it somewhere, maybe the side edge, top, or bottom, the minimum requirememnts:

* operating system
    * amount of hard disk space needed
    * amount of RAM required
    * any special pieces of added equipment needed like video accelerator cards
    * any files required on your computer like DirectX

If you do not have the box in hand, go to the manufacturer's website and see if they list the requirements. Also, if the game was released before Vista, the site might have updated files to allow you to run it successfully with it.

And there will be some websites for gamers that review the games as they are released, mention the requirements, tell you some secrets that the instructions do not tell you about, and tell you about some bugs in software that may or may not have been fixed with a patch.

2) That is a lot of hard drive memory, but could be greater. Some games don't take up much hard drive because you just load a small part of the game onto it, for example drivers, and run the rest from the disk in the CD drive. Others require the whole game loaded onto the hard drive. And some give you a choice of the above.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add: CSIVegasMiamiNY, if the games do not have to do with CSI, it would not belong in Merchandise. But there was a Gamers unite thread here in Miscellaneous once, and those posters might be able to help.

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I would think that if games work with XP (like all the new games) they also work with Vista.

I think the laptop's problem is the "fast games" - it comes very blurry.

I haven't had any new games for few years (I don't have much time to play so I play my old games. Newest I have is GTA:Vice City)

85GB will be ok for few games,those take few GBs when installed (don't know exactly how much new games need)

Otherwise it's like Dynamo said, gamecoverbox usually tells what you need. There is minumum requirements and then what's the optimum

5. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

I can tell you from experience, Steph, some games don't work on a laoptop. I had to used my mom's desk top with Vista and they work just fine. So it's a bit or trial and error, also contract the localcomputer help group they might have some answers as well. Geek Squad at Best Buy is one of my favorites.

6. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Me = geek :p

if you could post the specs of your laptop here it would be a lot better to help you!

Most computers running vista have the latest components which are also required to play games. But there are still a lot of different components.. And the fact that Vista is pretty heavy.. XP is lighter and takes less usage overall. But you can run Vista proper with 1gb or memory but also with 3gb of memry but then games will most likely be better at 3gb than 1gb since vista takes 600Mhz of memery without any extra's.. and so on with all the desktop/laptop's components...

So maybe I can help you further along with the laptop specs...

Laptops can be used to play games.. Generally... but because they are so compact they can become very hot inside and my previous laptop actually said *poof* after a while with some smoke and stuff :lol: I do play games on my laptop but not that often. Just when I am really bored at school and I have to stick around there... My desktop none the less gets all games and I use my desktop about 95% of the time to give my laptop a longer life.

ETA:
    The thing that games cannot be played at laptops solo is true but it is the same with desktops... Take a 5 your old desktop and try to play the newest/heaviest game.. that won't work either. It is just that the components together needs to be new enough to play the latets games and such.

7. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

I have Windows Vista and it works fine with older games but sometimes it adjusts to the game. For example if it says compatible with XP then It turns back into Windows XP. Its not confusing but its okay I guess. But the problem is that my computer is about 2 years old and I can't use the Windows Media Center. I've gone to the website to download the driver and it still doesn't work. But when I had Windows XP it worked so I guess it's either my computer of Windows Vista that's messed up.