CBS Sees Summer Ratings Slide

CSI Files

Captain
CBS’s "CSI" is no longer the most-watched show on television. The ratings slump that began during the second half of the regular season worsened over the summer with ratings for reruns significantly down from last year.

While declining ratings for repeats aren’t necessarily an indication of things to come, the fact that the trend continued into the summer can’t be too reassuring as "CSI" prepares to face off against ABC’s "Grey’s Anatomy" when it slips into the Thursday 9 p.m. timeslot this fall.

According to Nielsen numbers crunched by Horizon Media, "CSI" averaged a 2.9 in adults 18-49 last week, down 29 percent from last summer’s 4.1 average. Over the past five weeks a regularly scheduled "CSI" has peeked above a 3.0 only once. This continues a trend that began during the most recent season, when "CSI" finished out of the top five several times and the season finale average fell 22 percent from last year, from a 10.6 to an 8.3.

"CSI"'s declining ratings speak to a general trend among CBS shows, which are beginning to show their age after years of dominance. CBS is not expected to fall behind NBC this season in adults 18-49. However, there are signs indicating a weaker year.

Some of the decline can be attributed to tougher timeslot competition. Fox’s "So You Think You Can Dance" and NBC’s "America’s Got Talent" are both outperforming the competition from last year, making reruns more difficult for CBS to sell.

The CBS shows "Without a Trace," "Survivor" and "Two and a Half Men" also declined at the end of last season.

For the full story, see Media Life Magazine.<center></center>

Perhaps the majority of CSI fans are busy this summer and don't have time to tune into re-runs. Also, maybe the ones who do watch 'em don't have that nielsen box that shows the number of viewers who watch the re-runs. I'm sure things will pick up once the new season begins next month and CSI will once again be at the top.

Ratings don't matter. I'm not watching a lot of reruns this summer 1.) It's hot (Tucson) and I don't have A.C. at home.
2.) I use Netflicks and have Season 6 cued. DVD's are a blessing when working 3 jobs. What do the ratings people know?

I can't believe they're even measuring the summer ratings. CBS shows reruns; NBC does not. I don't watch the CSI reruns because I'm waiting for the DVD's to come out and would rather watch them again without commercials. I'm also using my Thursday nights to go out more, something I rarely do when the new season starts.

Let's face it. Everything has a life cycle to it. Even CSI. And trends change and viewership tastes change and so forth.

^ I agree. And this is not the first time they measure summer ratings. They have been doing it for years and I believe the slide does say something.

The slide does say something, yes. I think the summer reruns aren't worth the watching, because the episodes were just crappy this season. Except for Gum Drops.

I don't usually watch the reruns because in the summer I do other things and watch a lot of baseball. I'm sure things will pick up in the fall.

I occasionally watch the summer reruns, but mostly for pieces of a show I might have missed (channel surfing and bathroom breaks) or episodes that I missed (anxiously awaiting Heroes, damned work events!). But while LV slips in the ratings over the summer, Miami and New York don't show any such ratings slides - in fact, they both show up in the top ten regularly over the summer, where New York in particular used to hang out in the 11 - 20 slot during the regular season.

well i know i watch the reruns on spike all the time, during the regular season too. i wonder what the ratings for those are like? i watch the thursday ones on cbs too, but not all of them. ive been studying for the mcat and my break would be an episode of csi, and since season 6 wasnt the best theyve ever had i usually chose whatever was on spike :lol:

Speaking of Spike, weren't they in negotiations last year to start running New York episodes? Whatever became of that idea?

I think this article only refers to the flagship show? It seems to me I read that NY has actually improved in the summer rerun ratings over last year.

As for LV, I think for so many it's appt TV for so many, they don't need to watch reruns in the summer, also, there are the Spike reruns. I don't think CBS needs to worry. My two cents.

I don't think CBS needs to worry at all. Ratings always drop during the summer, because let's face it- If you've already seen the episode, there's a good chance you won't watch it again. :p

What do they have to worry about anyway? When the new season rolls around, they'll have plenty of ratings so really, is counting the summer ratings even worth it? I know they have to measure them all year round, but they should know that a lot of people don't have time to watch re-runs. :rolleyes: They don't need to have a freak-fest over it. :p

^ LOL. You didn't read carefully enough.

According to Nielsen numbers crunched by Horizon Media, "CSI" averaged a 2.9 in adults 18-49 last week, down 29 percent from last summer’s 4.1 average.
They were comparing this summer's ratings with last summer's. ;)

Back