Canadian Students Investigate ‘CSI’

CSI Files

Captain
Six students from Canada’s <font color=blue>Capilano College</font> advanced diploma Motion Picture Production program spent a week in Los Angeles making a film on the making of a CSI episode. CSI star <font color=yellow>William Petersen</font> is a close friend of the manager of Capilano College’s Film Centre, <font color=yellow>Bill Thumm</font>. The students shared their experience on the CSI set in a daily online production diary.

Film students <font color=yellow>Jon Ancil</font>, <font color=yellow>Scott Mainwood</font>, <font color=yellow>Tom McLeod</font>, <font color=yellow>Rebecca Nield</font>, <font color=yellow>Hiroko Oda</font> and <font color=yellow>Malcolm Oliver</font> spent an amazing week on the set of CSI, filming the filming and interviewing key people involved in the writing, production, acting, editing and scoring of the popular crime drama and also enjoyed dinner at Petersen’s house.

Once on set, the students broke into two teams: one to conduct interviews and one to film the behind the scenes action. Their production diary spans four days and mentions each of their interviews and the excitement they felt being in Hollywood on the famous <font color=blue>Universal Studios</font> back lot, where CSI was filming in the western town.

Dinner of pizza and beer at Petersen’s house was definitely a high point of the trip. Petersen was described as “incredibly friendly,” spending a few hours with the students discussing CSI, golf, dogs, politics, TiVo, film versus digital, hiring directors and writers, episodic TV versus serial TV and how people get started in the industry.

Head over to to read the story and be sure read the students’ <A class="link" HREF=http://www.capcollege.bc.ca/programs/film/news.html>production diary.<center></center>

I'm about 20 minutes away from the college & I had no idea either. I figure they'd have a segment on it on the local news but I guess not. Nontheless, those cap college students are pretty frigging lucky!

They got to go to a Csi filming? That's so unfair!! I studied that and all I got was to make a mini tv program in an exam. Bad thing I didn't studied in america, I suppose. ;)

Aw, man. Im kinda jealous. Im in a Cirminal Justice program, my school should be on the set of a crime drama! CSI:NY, preferably :lol:

Mayte said:
They got to go to a Csi filming? That's so unfair!! I studied that and all I got was to make a mini tv program in an exam. Bad thing I didn't studied in america, I suppose. ;)

Cap College is in BC, Canada, actually.

Back