Big Developments Rock The Big Apple In 'The 34th Floor'

CSI Files

Captain
CSI: New York resolves season six’s nail-biting cliffhanger in “The 34th Floor”—just in time to welcome a new team member to the New York Crime Lab. (Major season premiere spoilers after the jump!)According to CSI Files sources, the premiere of CSI: New York’s seventh season picks up where the season six finale left off. “Vacation [...]

More...

It still doesn't sit well with me that Lindsay gets a medal for shooting a home intruder off duty. Yeah, Shane Casey was the Big Bad of NY, but if Lindsay gets a medal Stella should've gotten one when she shot Frankie. Also, it would be easy to show Lindsay has trouble with the shooting and its aftermath without her getting a medal. It's just another case of Mary Sue Monroe-Messer being the lab's "special snowflake." :rolleyes: :wtf: :shifty:

Yeah, Shane Casey was the Big Bad of NY, but if Lindsay gets a medal Stella should've gotten one when she shot Frankie.

A woman defending her husband and child against an intruder makes for better positive publicity than a woman killing her abusive boyfriend. Plus, while Frankie was clearly a nutcase, he wasn't a convicted criminal posing a danger to the public in general.

My guess is that the top brass saw it as a chance for some good P.R.

Yeah, Shane Casey was the Big Bad of NY, but if Lindsay gets a medal Stella should've gotten one when she shot Frankie.

A woman defending her husband and child against an intruder makes for better positive publicity than a woman killing her abusive boyfriend. Plus, while Frankie was clearly a nutcase, he wasn't a convicted criminal posing a danger to the public in general.

I'm sure that's it. But any other off duty police officer who shoots someone would be put on administrative leave pending an investigation. Unless they happen to be Mary Sue Monroe-Messer, then they get a medal. :rolleyes:

I'm sure that's it. But any other off duty police officer who shoots someone would be put on administrative leave pending an investigation. Unless they happen to be Mary Sue Monroe-Messer, then they get a medal.

Last time I checked the spoilers, they said that 3 or 4 months had passed between shooting and medal. That's plenty of time for an investigation and for Lindsay to be on leave, get investigated and get cleared. IIRC, it only took a few days for Flack to be cleared and get his badge back after being accused of killing a suspect. Can't remember any 'Mary Sue' accusations *there*. (but then, I suppose there aren't as many anti-Flack's as anti-Lindsay's around)

I'm sure that's it. But any other off duty police officer who shoots someone would be put on administrative leave pending an investigation. Unless they happen to be Mary Sue Monroe-Messer, then they get a medal.

Last time I checked the spoilers, they said that 3 or 4 months had passed between shooting and medal. That's plenty of time for an investigation and for Lindsay to be on leave, get investigated and get cleared. IIRC, it only took a few days for Flack to be cleared and get his badge back after being accused of killing a suspect. Can't remember any 'Mary Sue' accusations *there*. (but then, I suppose there aren't as many anti-Flack's as anti-Lindsay's around)

Flack didn't get a medal for shooting someone while off duty. And prior to that all of Flack's mistakes weren't just overlooked or passed off as cute and endearing. He also wasn't added to the cast to be nothing more than the super sweet, awesome love interest for the bad boy of the cast. He also isn't just a bundle of stereotypes trying to pass off as a valid character. With Lindsay, the medal alone doesn't make her a "Mary Sue." Everything about her character from her introduction on has established her as that.

ETA: And with Lindsay, we're not going to see anything potentially negative about the shooting. They're skipping anything with substance and going straight to the "isn't she the most awesomest hero ever?" crap. They don't need to give the character a medal and make her a hero to show she has trouble with the shooting.

Last edited:
I still think her being given a medal is kind of silly, and I'm a bit of a Lindsay fan, so... I still can't get over the fact that she supposedly shoots Shane while he's holding Lucy. I mean, that is very risky!

I just get the feeling that there's something a little hinky about the whole situation. Lindsay seems somewhat underwhelmed by the "OMG she's awesome" situation. I'm just wondering if the shooting itself happened the way we're being told or if Lindsay is covering for Danny for some reason.

I just think we're not getting the whole story about it.

I just get the feeling that there's something a little hinky about the whole situation. Lindsay seems somewhat underwhelmed by the "OMG she's awesome" situation. I'm just wondering if the shooting itself happened the way we're being told or if Lindsay is covering for Danny for some reason.

I just think we're not getting the whole story about it.

Now that would be interesting if there was more to the story. I doubt she'd have to cover for Danny, though, because Casey was a threat to them and their child so I'd assume either one of them shooting him would be justified. And like you said, months have passed so you'd think any investigation would've uncovered anything weird or not above board about the shooting. Hmmm. . . I really do like the idea of there being more to it than what we are initially told, though.

I think this is probably the rationale behind the medal. Casey was a serial killer who escaped multiple times from custody; no doubt that fact was an embarrassment to the police department. It made them look incompetent, so for an officer to take Casey down--even if it was in her own home, defending her husband and child--is something the department is going to want to play up.

Plus, I'm a feminist, so I love that it was Lindsay protecting Danny and Lucy and not the other way around. I'd love if her issues are with the attention, and not the shooting itself.

Back