Becoming a Forensic

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by JamesiBoi, Apr 23, 2007.

1. JamesiBoi

JamesiBoi Civilian

Hi guys well just a couple of questions which I hope someone might be able to help me with. I am 21 years old and was wondering if you think that is too late to find a career in forensics? also I smoke ciggarettes and do you think that would be fine, im sure alot of forensics smoke right?

Thanks James

2. everclaire

everclaire Rookie

of course, whats wrong with smoking cigarettes?!

Plenty of universities do courses in forensic science, forensic art, criminology, forensic anthropology,etc, however A-Levels in Chemistry/Biology/Physics/Art etc would be necessary to get in!

3. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

If you must smoke, you might have to do it in a breakroom or outside the building. You don't want the ashes falling into the evidence. And many public buildings these days are not allowing smoking inside. Since this is a forensics topic, I won't get into the debate about smoking.

4. JamesiBoi

JamesiBoi Civilian

I left school at 16 with only GCSE's (UK) how do i go about doing A-levels? do i just go and ask at a college or university? whats grades do I need to go for my A-Levels, or can u start whatever education u have?

Thanks James

5. eggbe4thechicken

eggbe4thechicken Pathologist

Hey. I'm from the UK too. You can apply at any college you want to to do A levels. Usually they want 5 GCSE's at grade C and above, but if you don't have that, they may want an interview.
    I don't think a university would take you on right now with only GCSE's sorry. Although there are some science foundation courses you can do at a university that might be possible, which I don't know anything about. Have a look on www.ucas.ac.uk. Brilliant website, shows all the courses availiable at every university. You can also apply through this website. ;)

I am going to university in September/October to study Forensics at Lincoln. I applied to 6 universitys, I got offers ranging from 220 points (e.g. CCD) to 300 points (e.g. BBB). Lincoln wants 240 points from me. So that's an incling into what grades they want. ;) Also most universities want Chemistry at A2 level, Biology at at least AS level, and Maths and English at grade C and above at GCSE.

There is another option though, which you could do straight from GCSEs which is going to do a course, I don't know much about it, but it is a 6 week (approx) course where you qualify to become a SOCO.

So it depends what you want to do in forensics. I think that's all I know, someone will probably come in in it a bit and correct me, lol. :lol:

I hope I helped. :D

6. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

Many adult courses for forensic science are accessible from a foundation degree or by way of an indroduction to higher education certification.......my daughter is on a forensic science degree course at UCLAN in Preston.......It's amazing, there's an entire row of terraced houses that are used as crime scene houses and Preston and Chorley are major centres in the UK for forensic science teaching....

7. greg_sara_love

greg_sara_love CSI Level One

in order to be a forensic...u need some diplomas right...can somebody please name all the diplomas :D

8. eggbe4thechicken

Oooh! I applied there! :D Prefered Lincoln though. :rolleyes: Is she enjoying it there? Does she know what she wants to do afterwards? I'm very curious if you couldn't tell. :lol:
    I think most universities that do forensics have crime scene houses, just to let you know. ;)

9. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

She loves it.......She's not quite made her mind up as to what direction to take afterwards though.....The houses in Preston were featured in a documentary, that's why I mentioned them.. ;)..I'm sure the set up pretty similar wherever in the country you study.......It's just that we live in Preston so she can study without racking up a load of debt

10. eggbe4thechicken

So she still lives at home? :eek: I would hate that personally. :lol: I've gotta get away! :lol:
    I'm going to be living 2 and 1/2 hours away from home, and it's not far enough, lol.

The debt is going to be hell. Guess I'll just have to live with it like the rest of the population. :rolleyes:

11. greg_sara_love

greg_sara_love CSI Level One

oh yes i really wanna apply forensic diploma!!

12. ElinWaffle

ElinWaffle Witness

I don't think smoking will be a problem as long as it doesn't effectively interfere with your work. Like, you cant leave a crime scene to go smoking each ten minutes. But I think you understand that. :D

Crime scene houses, eggy ? Cooooool...I wanna! *cries because I am just 15* Sounds fun. The profs stages crime scenes inside them, you investigate? Which I could too. But I have about a thousand years left. Sadly.

Do you need A-levels in a specific subject to apply for forensics programme? Can't you just take the forensic and then decide what you want to specialize in? Maybe you realize that DNA weren't the thing for you and you want to switch to forensic art instead. Year of studying DNA and genetics to waste. Ok, maybe not entirely, but the feel of waste.

13. eggbe4thechicken

Yep, that's how it works, then the students go in and do the investigating whilst being filmed, you watch yourself back and notice what mistakes you make. The watching yourself back bit doesn't sound like so much fun though. :s

There are foundation programmes you can do before the forensics degree, but you can also go straight to the degree from A levels, most unis want Chemistry at A2 and Biology at at least AS, it varies though.

14. ElinWaffle

ElinWaffle Witness

*points at eggy's new avatar hand laughs* Hodges. Gotta love him.

Believe me, I know. I was filmed at our musical last year, and I looked like hell. Normally, people tells me that I am photogenic. At least when it comes to pictures and photos. Film? Not very much... :D But, remember it is for a good cause.

So...not Physics then? :( Cause that is my best subject. We haven't even begun studying chemistry. :lol: And I'm in 9th grade (8th here in Sweden). but then again, my school is kind of weird.

15. eggbe4thechicken

Chemistry is the main subject, they seem to want that one most of all. I think it was Biology or Physics, I don't remember. :rolleyes:

Have a look here. Adzix made them. She's a genius! :D