Band Geeks United!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by araSgerG, Sep 18, 2006.

1. araSgerG

araSgerG Lab Technician

Hey, we got any band geeks out here? Concert, marching...anything like that. If so what instruments do you play? How big is your band? What music are you playing? What was your band's ranking? Is anything big going on in your band?

I'm a percussionist, preferably a timpanist. Our band's got maybe fifty students. We don't do much marching as our school doesn't have a football team. We've just started some Grade One music to get back into the swing of things, playing Horoosh, Phantom Ship and El Rey de Francia. But the coolest thing of all was that our band was selected to perform at the National Anthem Project finale in Washinton, DC! Oh and our ranking two years ago was 1-1-2 and 3 in sightreading. Last year we sank to 3-3-4 with a 1 in sightreading. Maybe we'll be up to 1's again this year.

What about you?

2. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

I play bass. I don't have a band yet. I'm also in choir. Music rocks!

3. ShuriyuCSI

ShuriyuCSI Judge

*flies through the door and crashes into a bean bag* Dammit, I have sweatpants from the band department at school that say "Band Geek" on the butt. I live in the band room.

I'm in concert, Wind Symph, and Musical theater. I can tell stories about each and every one :p

4. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I played clarinet in middle and high school concert band and HS marching band. I have a couple interesting stories too...mostly involving broken down buses and hot uniforms lol. (no not *that* way, you gutter freaks lol)

Now I play trumpet in church orchestra. My clarinet is gone now 'cause the last one I bought turned out to be cheap and unfixable when it broke :(

5. drkate

drkate Corpse

i play the violin in the large strings group and the good strings group at school... i'm co-strings captain.

i'm in the good choir at school (the chorale) although i'm very tempted to quit right now for various reasons.

i'm also just joining the concert band (brass, woodwind and percussion) to play the glockenspiel in one song because they dont have enough percussionists for that one song and, since i play the piano which is very much like a glockenspiel, i have to play it... heh...

yeah, i've always been a band geek since i was in my first violin group in grade 4. I LOVE MUSIC!

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i play french horn in my universities concert winds, played in high school too. i dont think we have ranking here, but the last two years in kiwanis we won golds and silvers in march and open classes, and won best performace by a band (but since were the band and not vets or aggies my school doesnt think its good enough to put our trophy in one of the cases :() my favourite was in my first year we played the 1812 overture, being a horn player i loved it :D
    in high school we won lots at kiwanis and went to nationals in montreal one year.
    we never had a marching band, its not that big in canada (at least where i live) there is band that comes out to the western games (the university in my home city) but they kind of suck, especially when ive seen american university marching bands :lol:

7. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

Guitar, but I'm bad. I do love impro music and jamming with friends, I actually have several friends who play in bands. Mostly I play for myself though, it's kinda embarassing when you've got so little talent and try to keep up with people who are so much better...
    Sometimes I write with my friends though, a befriended band even played one of my songs :D I rock hehe. No, actually they rock.

8. grissoms_gurl

grissoms_gurl Coroner

I was a total band geek in high school (.. still am!) I played Trumpet in both the concert and jazz band, and was 'senior trumpet'. I was legendary for my playing, and improvisation solos! I participated in junior, regional, and national honor bands held in Canada and played the trumpet solo at all of our remembrance day assemblies. Last summer I joined a drum corps, Allegiance Elite, and we toured the United States - it was my ultimate band dream!

9. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

I played clarinet in my high school band.. but of all my instruments, it's my least favourite. I also play guitar, piano, violin, trumpet, saxophone, flute, and drums (I was a music major). I lived for music in high school, I was the lead singer and bass player of two bands- "Secondhand Banana" and "Big Freakin' Crisis". I did nothing but music lessons and band gigs all the damn time. When I graduated I did my degree in classical vocal music. Music is my greatest release and my favourite passtime.

I name all my instruments too.. my clarinet is George, my flute is Rozalinda, my pianos are John and Gabriel, my guitars are Angelica, Robin, Holly, and Sidney, and my bongo drum is Bob. I'm a nerd like that. hee.

10. drkate

drkate Corpse

heh, ziggystarduzt.

i name my instruments too (although i only have two) my piano is named fredrick after fredrick chopin and my violin is called lilly... just because i can... hehehe :)

11. Roosey

Roosey Captain

Me plays the drums. I really, really love it, but I'm bad at it. I don't have names for my instrument, like certain people here.. *not to mention any names* :eek:. :p

12. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

You're just jealous of our coolness, Roos! Don't you know that all the cool kids name their instruments? :lol:

13. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I did that too. But stupid me forgot the names... I got 3 guitars but I only remember naming the 1st I got "Kiki" (I was about 10 back then...) The others constantly changed names because I kept forgetting... so I guess I'm not that cool.

14. Roosey

Roosey Captain

I wanna be a cool kid too! LOOL. Okay, how shall I name my lovely drummy instrument?

15. araSgerG

araSgerG Lab Technician

My best friend's clarenet is named Bob. The little timpani at school (the 26 in.) is named Cute Baby Timpani. Oh, and drkate , how do you stand the glockenspiel? Ooooh I lothe plyaing keyboard percussion. Like *shudder* xylophone. But I love the timpanis! That I do. (He he Kenshin speak)