Baby Benefits

you're missing my point here. Im saying your country could encourage more immigration into your country so there wouldnt be a fucking problem with the non-existant workforce in 10-15 years....duh.

Have you ever thought that people may not want to come here for several reasons?

As I said, there is nothing wrong with our immigration politics/system. So stop judging it since you don't know anything about it. You are not a Finland expert. So fix your own country before you start pointing your finger at other countries.

Wow... testy people in here.

In the US, it varies by industry from what I've seen. But, the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993 guarantees up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave, but many people use a combination of sick leave, vacation time, and unpaid leave so they have a paycheck for at least part of the time they are away from the job.

i know of many aussies that cant find jobs because they are all taken by immigrants who are willing to work for less then minimum wage. they hold up the economy because they can.

That lame argument gets used in the US all the time by people who want to blame immigrants for "taking away their jobs." Quite frankly, when I go to the local fast food place, the immigrants are in there because others don't want to take the job that's paying minimum wage and isn't terribly prestigious. Granted, minimum wage doesn't pay the bills anyway, but this points to a bigger problem around the world. People are becoming more and more xenophobic but don't stop to think of the myriad reasons that people migrate in the first place. Those people from China may not have left because of the restrictive birth policies, but because they were persecuted in some way. Talk to them and ask them why they moved; you might be surprised at what you learn.

Anyway, back on topic, Ducky I'm moving to Finland. 105 working days?? Plus parental leave plus nursing leave? Seems like a very sweet deal to stay home and take time to bond with your newborn. If only the US would move in this direction, it would be amazing.

And the minimum wage is being raised from $5.15 to $7.25 over the next two years.. WHO-HOO-HOO.. who can live on either? :eek: horrible.. no one should make under $10.00 per hr.. and so it goes!!!

Yeah, really. Even at $7.25/hr if you work 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year, that's just about $15,000 a year before taxes. My living expenses alone - the mortgage - is shot right there.

Springmoon said:

Anyway, back on topic, Ducky I'm moving to Finland. 105 working days?? Plus parental leave plus nursing leave? Seems like a very sweet deal to stay home and take time to bond with your newborn. If only the US would move in this direction, it would be amazing.

There is actually one woman in our village...she turns 40 this year I think. SHe has 6 kids...and hasn't worked for6 years? Oldest turs 23 this year, then next 19 then 13 and the only boy is 8. After getting that boy, he was about 3 she worked like a...four-five months and then she was pregnant again and has got two girls after the boy. Youngest is now two years so she still has a year.

There has been discussion that these parents (mostly women) who want to be home taking care of their children under 3 year, it's hard to get back to work and that's something that needs to fixed.

I think then there is a chance to get some benefits/support for domestic help. Not sure how it works tho.

Ok.. all our benefits are shown here

Back