Army National Guard

Calihan

Captain
Any one know anything about the ANG, I got some literature from them and it looked like a good thing to do. I was hoping to get some unbiased information from you all, but I'm seriously considering joining next year when I turn 17.

I just thought of another thing i wanted to ask, if I join should I join the Army National Guard or the Massachusetts Naional Guard which is more like a state militia.

I know some people who are in the Guard and I'll tell you right now, if you join, plan on missing a lot of school. I'm not sure what they do as far as education, but this kid is almost never in school, and I don't think they give you as good of an education, since you're missing so much school. So you'll probably learn more skills there. I couldn't tell you about state militia, because I have no idea. But at our school, they came in a helicopter to pick the guy up, pretty cool if I do say so myself :D

I actually don't think I'd join the Army, because the ANG webiste syas thew National Guard is for people who don't want to make the army a carrear but still want to have some experience. I don't want an army carrear, which is why I'm more wondering about the National Gard. I suppose I should have made that clearer.

In US, are you forced to stick in the army for longer time if you go there?

Because here army is compulsory for every man (except those who have some illness, such as diabetes or are Jehova's Witness) they serve min. 6 months and then they are free.

Here it's completely volunteer as to joining. I know if you join and serve a certan amount of time, they'll help you pay for college. According to the National Guard webiste if you join before college the time you have to serve would be almost done by the time you're done with college. They sya you'd need to serve one weekend a month and two weeks ovwer the suumer. Right now I'm just looking for people who've done it nd could tell me how ccurate that is.

The Army National Guard still deploys over seas at this time. I have several friends that are currently serving in Iraq with the Texas Army National Guard. The ANG is just a State division of the Army. If you decide to join expect to deploy to exciting exotic foreign lands. ;)

If you don't want to end up in Iraq, join the Navy Reserve.

Back