Ann Donahue

Discussion in 'CSI Files News Items' started by CSI Files, Apr 10, 2006.

1. CSI Files

CSI Files Captain

<font color=yellow>Ann Donahue</font> has been with the CSI franchise since the beginning, starting out as co-executive producer on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation before moving over to run the first spin-off, CSI: Miami. Now in its fourth season and currently the number one show in the world, CSI: Miami is more popular than ever before. Donahue, whose writing credits include pivotal episodes such as "Cross-Jurisidictions", "MIA/NYC--NonStop" and "Lost Son" shared her insights into some of the major developments during Miami's run and revealed a few twists from the fourth season's exciting conclusion to CSI Files' <font color=yellow>Kristine Huntley</font>.

CSI Files: It's been a whirlwind year for Horatio Caine (<fontcolor=yellow>David Caruso</font>). Are we going to learn more this season about the day his parents died, and Horatio's involvement in it?

Ann Donahue: We have kept the story about the death of Horatio's mother in the background only because he's currently dealing with his blossoming relationship with Eric Delko's (<font color=yellow>Adam Rodriguez</font>) sister. Horatio and Marisol (<font color=yellow>Alana De La Garza</font>) will marry during our second episode of sweeps. She is still fighting cancer and she will meet a tragic end (not cancer-related).

CSI Files: What draws Horatio and Marisol together?

Donahue: The things that draw Horatio and Marisol together are that they are the right people for each other at the right time. Marisol, fighting cancer, needs hope, needs to not be treated like a patient, but a young woman with a future. And Horatio is able to do that for her. He's also older and wiser, and therefore more able to have fun and let her relax and forget the vicissitudes of her daily life. He also probably enjoys that their relationship is not entangled the way his and Yelena's (<font color=yellow>Sofia Milos</font>) was--yes, Marisol is a coworker's sibling, but Yelena was his brother's widow. Life with Marisol is simpler, more immediate.

CSI Files: Will Horatio and Marisol's relationship continue into next season? Can you give any hints as to what's next for them now that they've discussed having a baby?

Donahue: While Horatio and Marisol would like to continue their marriage into Season Five, tragic events ensue in during May 2006 sweeps that preclude that.

CSI Files: How did the idea to have a mole in the lab come about?

Donahue: We had the idea for a mole at the very beginning of the season. And an idea like that comes out of writers in the writers' room saying "What would be interesting, what would shake up the characters, what would I like to see as a viewer?" The Miami cast is superlative, and when we watch dailies, we see how they mesh, how they tease each other, how they interact. We began to see a real family there, headed by Horatio. And we thought, if our actors are communicating such intimacy and trust to each other, wouldn't it be interesting if that trust were thwarted? The tough decision was choosing who the mole is, because that person would definitely have to leave the show. We think we found a good way to reveal the mole, and then reveal people even "worse" than the mole, for their part in causing a mole to be installed at the Miami lab in the first place.

CSI Files: Will the identity of the mole be revealed before the end of the season?

<HR ALIGN="CENTER" SIZE="1" WIDTH="45%" COLOR="#007BB5">

To read the full interviews, please click here.<center></center>

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Just throwing in an extra spoiler warning for this interview...if you don't want to be spoiled on some of the developments for the end of the season, beware! :) Obviously the spoilers don't give away the mole or anything like that, but there are some in there.

3. midnight_tiptoes

midnight_tiptoes Head of the Day Shift

Oh my God, this interview left me horrified!

Natalia is going to become a main character? WHY?! The woman is SO useless and annoying! A love triangle, is that the best thing they can do with this character? Are you kidding me? And she sounds so proud of that storyline, too. Dude, if I wanted to see love triangles I'd watch soap operas. Thank you.

I'm thinking the mole might be Alexx. If it's related to Ryan's eye, and it's not a secondary character but someone we love, then it has to be someone from the main cast. I can't imagine they'll get rid of anyone else, so I'm thinking Alexx, because she's already shown mole-ish tendencies this season. Damn. That fucking sucks. Why can't they get rid of Natalia? Poor Khandi.

So Marisol gets killed in the finale, along with her unborn child? Horatio is going to be freaking unbearable next season.

This interview was the biggest turn off ever. I think I'm done with Miami. Clearly the writers have no clue what the definition of a good storyline is, and they don't give a crap about what the audience wants, so that's it for me.

4. Top41

I figured you wouldn't be happy about the stuff she said. :(

I was kind of surprised by that, too. After the love triangle stuff came out, I figured for sure she'd be the mole. Screws with the guys and then turns out to be evil, right? I guess not. I'm so glad Rex is going to be in the credits though. He's deserved it forever! :D

Man, you really think it's Alexx? I was leaning more towards Valera or Dan Cooper--someone we really like, but not someone who's in the main credits. I guess it's possible one of the main cast got pink slipped, but :eek: ! The only ones we know it can't be are Horatio and Ryan (and now Natalia I guess).

I'm thinking maybe she dies in childbirth, though that wouldn't make sense timeline-wise, unless they do a 9 months later kind of thing. But yeah, that's going to devastate both Horatio and Delko.

I think they're trying to play up the drama. Miami is so different from the other CSIs now. I guess in some ways, I like that...stuff actually happens. It's just no always the stuff we want to see happen, I guess.

5. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

Well, our Ann D. certainly doesn't mind spoiling her own show! :lol: What kind of showrunner is this?

So, we learn that all the entire Marisol and baby thing is probably David's idea...Who'd have thought that!
    Marisol dieing about something other than cancer is even WORSE! How misterable can Horatio's life be?

I am confident that the mole is Calleigh.
    She had hardly anything to do this season and is a beloved character. And it really would be the most shocking thing ever. Not to forget the biggest screw up ever.

I'm glad I quit this show...

6. Sillie

Sillie Pathologist

*twitches* o_O;

7. Top41

I was surprised by how much she revealed, but it was a refreshing change from people who won't say anything about what's coming up. If these are the twists she revealed, it makes me think the ones she didn't are even more shocking.

He's getting like that legless armless boy from the chain e-mails...his dad killed his mom, his brother married and then ran away with the love of his life, he falls in love with a dying woman... Horatio's a one man country album. :eek:

That would be a *huge* shocker, but I can't see Emily leaving the show. Emily is one of the best things about the show--they have to know better than to get rid of her, unless she wanted to go or something like that. I doubt it's Delko because of the love triangle. Alexx is a possibility.

8. Fabian

Fabian Pathologist

Here is my Calleigh theory:

Calleigh (maybe) talks to Peter Elliot, who is married to Monica West. So Monica knows all the ins and outs.
    I know, it's not a sophisticated explanation, but then again, what is on this show?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

^ Calleigh would not talk to that rat bastard. She... no. I'm not ruling out the possibility that she's the mole, but after what happened in 'Urban Hellraisers' it doesn't seem likely to me that they remained friends.

10. Top41

I can't really see Calleigh talking to Peter Elliot, especially after what happened. He really did mislead her, and she seemed pretty thrown.

I admit, the idea of Calleigh being the mole is giving me a lot to think about. I think she'd pretty much be the most shocking person they could pick. I still think Emily would be too great a loss for the show, though...I can't imagine Miami without Emily. If she wanted to leave it would be one thing--they wouldn't really have a choice, but I can't see them writing her out. I could be wrong, though.

11. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

i think Alexx is the mole of the lab.....that's too bad if Khandi has to leave the show.....but i think Alexx is the one we are looking for .....as for the Drama on the finale..god can't they let Eric having some happyness in his life.....he only has drama this season

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Calleigh and Alexx would both be shocking choices for the mole. I don't want to see either of them go, especially Calleigh, who seems to be the only sane one on the show these days. But neither character has had much development this season, which could be because they're the mole and the writers are saving all the drama for the finale.

But then there's the question of motive. Why would either of them have a reason to 'betray the trust' as Ann Donahue put it?

Damn, it'd really suck if they write Calleigh off the show. I've liked Emily Proctor since she did her bit on The West Wing as Ainsley Hayes. If Calleigh goes, I'm going too.

13. Top41

I agree that both Calleigh and Alexx would be shocking choices, and both are definitely beloved. But both have a lot of integrity, too, so it would be really out of character.

And as Jadyn points out, why would either Calleigh or Alexx betray the others? What reasons do they have? I still like the idea of it being Valera, bitter over being fired last season. It would make sense, at least.

I've liked Emily since The West Wing, too. Emily is just awesome. The show would not be the same without her.

14. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

im sure it won't be Calleigh, it's almost impossible....she is the only CSI female fo the show.....they can't write her out of the show......im sure it will be Alexx....she is Horatio confident, Ryan confident etc....she has that mother side everybody loves on that team...so the shock of her being the mole will be HUGE

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd like it to be Valera too, but I think she'd be an obvious choice. And then there's this:

I consider Valera to be a secondary character, correct me if I'm wrong. So in my book that excludes her because Ms. Boss said so.

Alexx as the mole is starting to make more and more sense to me though. Donahue did say that Ryan's "eye situation will play in helping us reveal the identity of the mole." And who else has been the most involved in Ryan's injury? That has to be she who prescribed him antibiotics for it - Alexx! But why? I still can't wrap my head around that.