American Horror Story

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by mrsjrewing, Oct 7, 2011.

1. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

Did anyone catch this show on Wednesday night at 10pm eastern on FX (cable channel)? I watched because of the lead actress Connie Britton. I loved her on Friday Night Lights. It has this weird horror movie vibe, with a touch of the classic Twin Peaks. I finished watching and was just wondering what the hell I had just watched. It was slightly scary in an odd way. WARNING if you try it: it has a MA rating so kids cannot even be close by. All I can really add is WOW.

2. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

I watched it after reading your review :) I don't know if I think I love it or hate it. Maybe both. I really liked the freaky characters, especially the girl, the patient guy and the housemaid. The only problem is, some of the turns have been used so much in really cheap horror movies that these kinds of scenes made me feel like I was watching one of thoe low-price films. But if I can overcome this, I'll definitely like the show. Not to mention this was just the pilot. Looking forward to this weeks episode.

3. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

I watched it, and boy, what a unique show. I didn't really think it was that scary, I just thought it was REALLY weird...but I liked it. :thumbsup: The critics gave it bad scores but I still plan on watching it.

Plus, the old lady who plays the maid was from one of my favorite TV shows, "Happy Town".

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I tried to watch it, but after about thirty or forty-five minutes, I switched to repeats of "Friends" lol. I found it incredibly boring to be honest. And I really didn't need to see the guy "taking care of business" after seeing the young version of the maid. I'll never understand why tv/movie writers think the audience wants to see people doing that or using the bathroom (or puking for that matter). It's unnecessary. But if the show had been interesting, that scene would not have stopped me from watching it. As much as I like Dylan McDermott, I just couldn't get into this show.

5. AFIS

AFIS Lab Technician

Hmm...surprised to see a thread about this show.:lol: I love FX's ability to take shows like this and give them a chance (anyone remember Nip/Tuck or The Shield) but after watching the first episode, I couldn't help laughing at some parts and being disturbed in others. Fans of CSI already know I have a strong dislike for men in latex bondage suits (Sqweegel...eugh *shudder*) but I decided to give this show a chance despite the promo featuring a man in a latex bondage suit. Well...the acting is top-notch at least, but sometimes the show felt a little forced like it was trying to make me feel something, anything. Overall, I think I'll stick to The Walking Dead for my scares this season, but I do like the potential behind AHS to develop into a really nice psychological thriller.

6. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I figured I would get some I would get some different opinions on this one. It is out there. I am gonna give it another episode before I decide if I am gonna keep watching.

7. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I finally got around to watching the pilot (right now it's the only episode offered on line, so I will have to catch up).
    I really liked it. It's definitely out there, but the developing storylines are intriguing, and the cast is first rate. (I expect an Emmy campaign for Connie Britton and Jessica Lange). And I'm sure nothing is as it seems on this show, which I love.
    It seemed to have all kinds of allusions to other horror movies, which I thought was fun to note. I can't wait to see where the 'Rosemary's Baby' storyline goes. That was one of my favorite movies ever.
    I just have to find another time to watch it since Wed at 10 is already filled up.

8. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I just now got around to watching the first two episodes, I have to say that I don't really like it all that well. It's hard to tell if I truly dislike it, or if I need to give it a chance with a few more episodes.

9. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I'm still liking it; it's sort of Twin Peaks meeting American Gothic with a side of... True Blood R-rated factor?

I am wondering though- what happened to the family dog? It's been MIA since the first ep.

10. Hardline Pro

Hardline Pro Lab Technician

*SPOILERS*

I was wondering the same thing.

Also, I stick by my word by saying this show is VERY weird. Hardly scary, IMO. I also hate how they just kill characters off and then act like nothing happened. The woman who the guy cheated on just gets killed by old burnt face, and that's it. Seemed very dull I think. But the montage with the music at the end of episode 3 was very creepy.

11. mrsjrewing

mrsjrewing CSI Level One

I know I started this thread, but I have quit watching the show. Hubby and I tired to make it through the second episode and about half through it we were so bored. We decided not to waste our time on it anymore. I hope those who are still into it enjoy the thread.

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Still watching and really liking this show. It's more weird than scary, I'll admit, but it suits my taste. After last week's episode, just give Jessica Lange the Emmy already! The ratings have improved each week, and the show has been renewed for a Season 2.

Also, FX is re-airing the 4 episodes tonight for a Halloween treat! I wish they were airing the 2nd part of their Halloween episode tonight instead of Wednesday (WTH was on that ultrasound!?), but like it or not, I guess I will have to wait.

Happy Hallow's Eve to all!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  13. BabaOReilly

Yeah I'm digging the weird too! :lol: Glad to hear it's been renewed. And yes, Jessica Lange is amazing.

And seriously... what did that doctor see in the ultrasound?!! :eek:

14. mulder42

mulder42 Corpse

I finally caught the 1st episode, and loved it very much! It's creepy and weird, and all kinds of awesome. I was a little confused about something, though. The guy in the rubber suit was Dylan McDermott, right? When they had sex? I was wondering at the end when Connie Britton told him she was pregnant; got a funny feeling that the Sqweegel lookalike :devil: wasn't her husband...

15. BabaOReilly

No it wasn't her husband. I think it's some weirdo ghost...