AFL-CIO Resolves To Increase Diversity

CSI Files

Captain
The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO) passed resolutions this week to increase diversity, and CSI: Crime Scene Investigation’s Robert David Hall (Dr Al Robbins) is hopeful that the entertainment industry will grow to feature more disabled performers.One of the resolutions calls for member unions to strive for greater diversity, including [...]

More...

I think the disabled diversity is good.

I think they can improve the CSIs by having more than just one token black person on each show for one.

The GLT thing is going to be more controversial...some of us, like me, don't think TV needs to be pushing on everyone what some of us still consider a sinful and unnatural lifestyle...I don't think there will ever be a way to avoid fights and angry letters.

I think there are other things that should be addressed too. Give some future characters decent family lives...it's insane that every CSI is divorced, single or widowed...let someone have a wife and kids and be happy. And these shows also too often don't have enough balance in their portrayals of Christians. Don't always portray us as wierd people or criminals. People of faith should be portrayed positively at times as well.

I'm glad to hear there is going to be a conscious effort to include more diversity on TV. I can't imagine anybody but Robert David Hall playing Doc Robbins, and I think he is a perfect example of how an actor with disabilities can come in and not only do his job but really bring something special to a show. Most of the time, his disability isn't even an issue - and every once in a while, it adds a little something extra to his scenes and his interaction with the others. I would love to see more of that on my TV screen. :)

And that includes other groups as well, in addition to disabled actors. Minorities are underrepresented - and misrepresented - on TV far too often, and I think TV needs to start reflecting real life more. Yes, it's fiction - and in some cases, fantasy - but minorities have a place in that fictional world just as much as white people do. There are so many talented actors that fit into so many groups - and I think the world really deserves to see them on their television screens. :)

When it comes to women, I'm glad to see some strong female characters on a show like CSI, but I can't complain if there is going to be a conscious effort to include more female characters overall - and hopefully to be more conscious of the way in which women are portrayed on television. :)

LGBT characters need to show up on TV as well. Especially when you watch a show that takes place in NYC or another huge, diverse city, it's a glaring omission to see so few non-heterosexual characters. Excluding gay characters seems so stupid in 2009. It is nice to see gay characters come along on some shows, but I hope these resolutions from the AFL-CIO indicate that the unions will deliver on their promises and really push for more inclusion of diverse actors and characters that represent all of these underrepresented groups. :)

I think the disabled diversity is good.

I think they can improve the CSIs by having more than just one token black person on each show for one.

The GLT thing is going to be more controversial...some of us, like me, don't think TV needs to be pushing on everyone what some of us still consider a sinful and unnatural lifestyle...I don't think there will ever be a way to avoid fights and angry letters.

I think there are other things that should be addressed too. Give some future characters decent family lives...it's insane that every CSI is divorced, single or widowed...let someone have a wife and kids and be happy. And these shows also too often don't have enough balance in their portrayals of Christians. Don't always portray us as wierd people or criminals. People of faith should be portrayed positively at times as well.

So, cripples are acceptable for public view--especially if they're to be used as pity props or Inspirations--but not gay people, because the fact that gay people exist might make tight-pantied, narrow-minded people angry?

Your magnanimity astounds.

Actually, your assertion that gay people should be kept out of public view because they make others want to go HULK SMASH is not only grossly offensive, but illogical in light of your oh-so-charitable embrasure of disabled folks on TV.

Why? Because there are people who don't want to be reminded of the existence of disabled people, either. They harangue schools to segregate them into separate classrooms so that they don't "slow down" their perfect child, and so that little Johnny doesn't have to re-evaluate his perception of humanity, of what it means to be "normal." When I was in college, outraged parents left obscenity-laden messages on the Disability Services voicemail and threatened to withhold donations because the university wanted to include them in the Union with the rest of the student organizations. Nasty, vile, hateful messages from people who thought they were protecting their children by denying disabled students the right to be seen with other students in the university commons. It was wrong and hateful and deeply painful for those who had to hear that their inclusion in the Union offices was a threat to the safety of other people's children because they might give them cripple cooties.

It was discrimination. The disabled were denied equal opportunity for the comfort of ignorant people. Clearly, if you think that disabled diversity is good, then you understand that such treatment, based on a fundamental and immutable part of someone, is wrong. If you believe it is wrong to treat disabled people as pariahs better kept in closets and basements, then why is it acceptable to ask gay people to hide in the closet or basement because you find their choice of life and love partner icky?

And why, prithee, are Christians entitled to a positive portrayal, but not gay people? Why is inclusivity in the greater social discourse only a right when it applies to your standards of acceptability? It's only a right if it's granted to everyone, even the pin-headed jerks and "distasteful" people. Otherwise, it's a privilege, and a rage-inducing one, at that.

I was going to make a reply, but LaGuera covered it better than I could ever say it. I'll just say I concur with that post.

ETA: I will add that wanting television to acknowledge that LGBT characters exist and lead lives like other people is not being against Christianity or people who call themselves Christians.

People have every right to disagree with the way other people live their lives, but that doesn't mean they have the right to expect the rest of the TV audience to ignore that segment of the population's existence.

Last edited:
Back