a few question about CSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

yxhua7711

Civilian
I am Chinese girl and I teach English in China. I use CSI as the listening material for my students, but I have some difficulties in it, anyone can help me ? Thank you very much! All these questions are about CSI Season 1,1 pilot
1.Warrick said "I'm up about 4 G's", what is the meaning? about betting?
2.Grisson said to Gribbs"I'm your supervisor on graveyard", Does "on graveyard" here mean "night shift"?
3.Warrick wanted a warrant, and Brass said"I mean, who gives a corn cob?" Does that mean "nobody would pay attention to this"?
4.I can't understand the converstion between Grission and the women lab technician. She saind "alot better than ours did." then Grisson said "I know, Pink floyd's not your thing." W:"I have on cowboy boots. I wok in a lab. What makes you think 'Dark side of the Moon' synched to the Wizard of Oz is going to warm my damn barn?" What's her meaning by saying that? G:"I just thought it'd be something different." W:"You want to be different? Pin me up against a wall; lay one on me like you mean it. You're slacking, pal." I really can't understand the meaning though I know every word.
5.in the end, Brass came to tell everybody that Gribbs was shot. He said:"sorry to break up your party but I need grave to pull a double." I know it means "I have a bad news to tell you" but how to understand the word "grave" and "pull a double" here, is it a phrase? or a slang?

If anyone can help me, thank you!

Re: a few question questions about CSI

4 G's is slang for 4 thousand, as in $4,000. G stands for Grand. Over here in the UK, we call a thousand pounds a 'grand'.

Graveyard is indeed the night shift.

As for Brass - I think thats just a polite way of saying 'who gives a damn' :)

The thing with Griss and the technician seems to be a reference to him taking her on a date (yeah, who knew!), and the 'warm my barn' thing is just a way of saying, did you think it would be something I'd like.

She wanted him to pin her against a wall ( who wouldn't!), and lay one on her, which you could take as meaning a kiss, or maybe more :eek:

'Pull a double' means - take a double shift, just another way of saying it. Grave is just slang for graveyard (nightshift)

Let's see how I go.

1. Up 4Gs means he's up four thousand dollars
2. Graveyard is nightshift, yes
3. Not sure on this one - I think it means 'who cares'
4. Grissom went on a date with the woman and it didn't go well. She wishes he'd just kissed her instead of taking her out to a bad concert.
5. It means he wanted graveyard shift to pull a double - otherwords, he wants the night shift to stay and work another shift without going home.

Hope that helps.

GameFace and Clarrisani, thank you so much! I rally appreciate your help very very very very very very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back