8x02 - 'Hostile Takeover' **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

Quite a good episode.

I adore the actor who played assailant (Ted, right?). I loved him when he played Gallant on ER and I loved him now! He's gotta be one of the best actors I've ever seen on TV.
    WOW this year casting is awesome.
    Anyway, I loved Ted and I felt for him especially at the end

As for our characters well...Calleigh scared me. Her behaviour wasn't normal, at all. Natalia's face when she told her "well...I did shoot him..." was pierceless :lol:

Natalia, I loved her throughout the episode and I think she had quite a decent screentime.

Jesse. OMG he's freaking ubelievable. Yep, I love him. He's hot, he's such a good person, he's charming...I still have to find something negative about the guy.

I loved the end especially when everyone laughted, it was so genuine...gosh if only we had more scenes like this. Ryan :guffaw:, you're the best :lol:

Just one question, can they use new music themes for our CSIs working or doing anything else? 'cause they're always the same lately :lol:

2. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Maybe he ran over a few deranged squirrels in his lifetime?:guffaw:

wait a minute, no no....running over squirrels is not negative, in fact, that would actually be positive......ummmm maybe he ran over a moose? no wait, where the heck would you even find a moose in LA or Miami, no that won't work.......:shifty:.....oh oh I know....maybe he kill the Verizon Wireless dude!:eek:

3. Composer1234

Composer1234 Witness

I also really liked this episode!~

and I have to say, Jesse is growing on me. He is such a charming guy in the first few episodes! Not how I imagined his charater - big headed and arragont. The bit where he took his shirt off, I didnt feel that it was done on purpose to show his amazing body etc. its just something he had to do to save the poor woman.

I am glad that it isnt ALL Jesse, Jesse, Jesse this episode, at least I didnt feel that way. Calleigh and Ryan had their fair share of the screen time as well!...Nat is a different story....

Haha! the look on Nat's face when Calleigh said 'but I did shoot him!' was priceless! i was laughing so hard!!

4. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I'm gonna take a chance most of you have seen this episode by this time, so now I'm gonna share Ryan's joke at the end.

Horatio: Ma'am? I'd like to buy the next round.
    Ryan: Sorry, H, but the new guy buys the next round.
    Jesse: Hey, technically, I was here way before you were, but I'll buy.
    Jesse[to Horatio:] What are you having?
    Horatio: A club soda.
    Ryan: Oh, come on, H.
    Natalia: We're off the clock. Come on.
    Horatio: Somebody...has to drive.
    Ryan: Well, I would. I'm not tall enough to reach the pedals. <---That's the joke.
    *team laughs screen fades to black*

I stand by the grade I gave this episode.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. kljmiami

kljmiami Dead on Arrival

Just finished rewatching the episode here are a few thoughts

In the beginning when Nat and Cal are discussing why Cal didn't take a personal day to be with Eric Cal responds "I did shoot at him, he was a suspect fleeing a crime scene." The way she says it sounds to me like she and Eric have already had this conversation; Cal is defending her actions and she sounds a little irritated, like she and Eric have been snipping at each other over the upcoming internal affairs investigation and she is over it. I think next week
    will show the investigation proceedings and we will see Eric and Cal's relationship start to crumble.

One more thing, I may be in the minority but I like Jesse. I think his performance in this episode was great. Even the shirtless scene was well done. When I first saw the promo I thought "of course the new eye candy lands in the middle of a situation which requires him to remove his shirt:rolleyes:" I mean happens to everybody right?:shifty: But actually it was not badly done, I was pleasantly suprised. It is not crazy to see a man use his shirt to stop bleeding and he redressed quickly so he was not half naked through the entire episode. I will miss Eric but Jesse is working for me!

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree totally. I think Cibrian is doing a fantastic job! He had me with the premier and this second episode just confirmed for me that his addition to the cast is going to work fine with me. He's a perfect fit in my book! :)

I really enjoyed how the whole team worked together last night. Still not seeing the comfortable, easy-going chemistry of the first 3 seasons with Horatio and Calleigh. (I think that wonderful chemistry they shared is irreparably damaged.) But Horatio teamed with any or all of the rest of the team is awesome!

Eddie Cibrian did a great job. I'm very impressed.

David did an amazing job again last night. The subtle interaction with Jesse, the compassionate approach with the child (that's MY Horatio) and with Matthew, and I actually heard Caruso's laugh along with everyone elses at the fade out! Amazing. :thumbsup:

I could have used more Natalia, but I'm going to be patient and hope that will be coming in the near future.

I do as well. But I really enjoy Horatio working with Ryan, Frank and Natalia, too. Horatio has proven that he trusts Ryan totally and I'd enjoy watching that relationship progress. I feel that Horatio "brightens" just a little (in a non-shipper way) whenever he works with Natalia, so seeing them team up is always a pleasure for me. And Horatio and Frank are always perfect.

Horatio and Jesse seem to have a comfort and trust with each other born of shared experiences and long term friendship. I'm really excited to see where this goes. (Oh, and where the heck is Kyle? :()

Yeah. I wasn't too sure how that shirtless scene would be played out, but I thought it was fine. Gave me enough of a gratuitous peak, but got back to business immediately.

I'd give the episode a perfect score except - sorry, gotta take of a little for the H/C interaction - so how about a 4.999999...:lol:

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, I give the ep 3 out of 5 cause they took out several scenes that I wanted to see. Ryan/Cal and the driving crazy part, an important part of the Nat/Cal talk and the thing about Eric phoning Nat to ask if everyone is okay after the hostage situation and Cal being upset that Eric didn't call her instead.

Okay, here's my review as I wrote it down while watching the ep:

Stetler is a LT. Yay!

Hostage taker reminds me a bit of Jamie Foxx for some reason.

OMG! Ryan's in casual wear and not a suit and tie! Nice! And the green shirt makes a comeback. I believe that's the same green shirt he wore in another episode (can't think of the ep name offhand- think it might have been the one where he said "a boat? seriously?"). Looking good there, Ry! :D

Jessie's pretty good at coming up with a lie on the spot. Telling the HT that he's just there on vacation. Good idea to ditch the badge too. :lol:

The shirtless scene- It didn't seem too gratuitious. They didn't even pan in really closely on his chest. And he wasn't shirtless for too long before someone else brought him another shirt. I still wonder where the heck that other tee came from out of the blue like that. :lol:

Loved Horatio with Danielle and calling her sweetheart. :adore:

Frank: That money's not worth the lint in my pocket. :guffaw:

Aww at H hugging the boy. So sweet. But, Horatio, where's YOUR boy?

:lol: at H saying he won't drink alcohol because someone has to drive. And Ryan's "I would drive but my feet won't reach the pedals." :guffaw: Loved hearing the whole team laughing after that... and even Horatio laughed which is rare to hear. I think the end scene has to be my fave cause the whole team going out for drinks after work is just awesome. Too bad they didn't do that earlier.

Walter: Man, those cougars are hungry! :guffaw:

It looked like he was in a lab coat, so I guess he's gonna be another CSI instead of a cop? He better not be a lab tech if they are adding him to the opening credits. Valera should be the first lab tech added to the opening credits since she's been there longer than everyone but H and Cal and Eric.

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I didn't really care for this one. The case, if you want to call it that, was too scattered for my taste. Going from hostage to confiscated money to marital issues to abuse was too much for me, it felt like 5 different cases all thrown into one episode & none of them seemed to have proper endings for the charged felon (the bank teller, the wife, the step father).

Knowing this is Miami & they tend to sway into the land of unbelievable, I was still "wtf-ing" over a man who would go to the length of holding hostages at a police station, & shooting one of them, all so it would lead the police back to the bank teller guy which would then lead them to the ex-wife.....all just to "free himself".

The hostage situation itself felt too forced & wrapped up too quickly. I would have expected to see them evacuating the building for safety purposes, but instead they all seemed to be there at work as if there wasn't a wierdo waving a gun around in the next room. Swat team was inside, but nobody on the outside surrounding the building. That may have been helpful when the guy escaped....from a police station....with NO ONE seeing him.

The characters, our team that is, was ok, save for the apparent dark force Calleigh. I liked the team effort, though Natalia could really have been used more (she must have went on one hell of a long lunch break!). H was ever the kind & gentle man he always is, hearing him call the woman 'sweetheart' made me "aww". Liked Jesse as well. He seems to have great potential & his chemistry flows nice & easy with the rest of the cast. Liked seeing Stetler also & having Dave in there was an added bonus. Ryan was typical & loved him as always -- Natalia just needed to be used more, she's a CSI & should be far more involved with the cases & storylines.

The ending scene, the moment Miami fans have waited for. It didn't reach my expectations. Something felt off. It wasn't that it was new members or old members missing, it just didn't come off as memorable as I would have liked it too. Kudos for the attempt though. ;)

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Forgot to mention that I thought it was a nice change of pace that they weren't dealing with dead bodies here. Nice to switch it up every once in a while. :)

I think that Matt accidentally shot the woman though. The look on his face seemed to say "OMG what did I just do?" His finger was on the trigger, but I don't think he ever intended to shoot her. He was just upset and pointing the gun and it just kind of went off.

10. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I wasn't too enthusiastic about this one as I found the premise a little out there (Hostage taking in H"s home base? That's like someone taking hostages in the Batcave) but I liked it in the end mostly because I thought the actor who played the HT did a great job and you actually felt for the guy.

Other stuff
    -Lots of Frank scenes, Ryan too
    -Jesse and Ryan: The beginning of a beautiful friendship?
    -Horatio drinking ginger ale: I don't know why but I loved that bit!!
    -Stetler doing something other than "You really did it this time Horatio!"
    -Dave stepping up to the plate. Loved it.

Quibbles
    -Where did that dude get the blueprints for the PD?
    -Natalya checked waaaaay too late. I think someone mentioned Ryan taking someone and expected Nat only for it to be someone else. I agree, Nat should have checked in at this scene but the scenes she did appear in were pretty good.

11. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

Am I the only one who noticed Bruno? Well ok, he wasn't Bruno in this episode like he was back in Season 2 epi 'Bait' he was Darren Ripley the counterfeit money guy. :lol: Guess it's cause I'm a Speed freak and remember Speed talking to Bruno, lol! I yelled out 'Bruno' when I saw him, lol! Made me miss Speed even more especially since I'm not fond of the new guy.

{Just noticed my fellow Speed freak Geni noticed him too!]

12. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Wow! What can I say? Two for two, guys! :thumbsup:

I love how you used Dave Benton as the listen-in instead of recycling the CSI's all the time. You at least MENTIONED Michael Travers. I hope that means you're gonna bring him back eventually. Even though the other techs were little more than hostages, you let them do at least something besides walk around. See? Techs are useful for something.

WOOHOO!! Rickypoo finally made Lieutenant! Bout time!! :drool: And thanks for letting DLS do more than just walk in and say a few lines like he's been doing the last two or three seasons. He's capable of so much more.

Rick, Rick Rick! How in the world do you expect to find a girlfriend if you keep dressing like a bad blue light special?? :wtf::scream::angryrazz: Somebody please reach over and slap the wardrobe guy!! But even under a life-or-death situation, H and Rick are butting heads again. :adore:

Jesse did a great job, I think. I too was worried they were gonna milk the "shirtless" thing and turn a forensics drama into Beefcake CSI's On Parade. But it was all tastefully done and fit into the plot.

Nice to see Natalia interacting with the team and being a CSI instead of just smiling for the camera. Eva LaRue must be getting sick of that.

And hopefully this is the beginning of Horatio protecting women and children again. I love how he interacted with the little boy and was really able to understand what he was going through, based on his own past.

Ryan looks much more comfortable in his skin wearing casual clothes.

Just two things: Why would Horatio carry his shades in his fingers while in the SWAT gear? Also, Calleigh should know not to discuss the details of a pending investigation with ANYONE, let alone with Natalia in front of the crime lab.

That last scene with the team having drinks together and blowing off some steam was great. I for one am SOOOOOOO sick and tired of the coldness, the distance, and the high school cliques that marked S6 and S7.

Excellent job, writers. Now keep some balance. Don't forget to bring back Kyle every now and again, since you went through hell and high water to make him center stage the last two seasons. You did a great job with him toward the end of S7. Please stop making things just "go away."

Welcome back, old CSI Miami. I missed you. :cool:

I thought that guy looked familiar. But then again I watch all three CSI's, and they tend to use the same actors between the three shows.

13. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I liked:

- Jesse was a lot more interesting this time. I'm still not convinced but he's growing on me. The actor is ok, although I don't find him that attractive. I'm weird :lol:
    - Screentime was more balanced, except for H. He was everywhere and in every minute :lol:
    - No Eric meant more Calleigh paired with everyone else. And that's good because E/C was starting to feel too much. Loved Calleigh and H together.
    - Yay for Rick Hoffman again. Love the actor.
    - Case was classic Miami.
    - H it's starting to seem more and more human with every episode. So having a kid and a psycho ex-girlfriend was a good thing after all. BTW did they fell in the black hole of continuity or what? :lol:
    - H with the kid and the ending. DC is really good with this material.
    - Stetler. We need more Stetler. I do find him attractive. I'm weird :lol:

I didn't care:

- Shirtless Jesse. And yes, he has ripped abs. :rolleyes:
    - Natalia doing lab job. I don't understand why she isn't doing any field work. I will forget about her by the end of the season if she doesn't have more screentime. What a waste.
    - Too much H meant too little of almost everyone else.
    - No M.E. I probably read the wrong spoilers but wasn't Alexx supposed to return?

14. kljmiami

kljmiami Dead on Arrival

I knew I had seen him before!!:lol::lol:

15. kljmiami

kljmiami Dead on Arrival

LOL :guffaw::guffaw: