The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

We think he had some sort of kitty virus. :wtf: Or he felt like scaring us - and we scare easily. It's just that he's been through so much with 4 different operations in just over 1 year. :( Monday we went to the vet and they found nothing that would warrent more tests than the x-ray they took. Wednesday he refused to eat anything until around 5pm. Today he seemed perfectly normal. :confused: The only thing we're doing different is that each meal is given in thirds with a half hour between each portion. We now have to plan an hour and a half to feed 1 cat into each morning and night. :lol:

Susan

2. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

my cats are long haired and both of them *hate* brushing, they will not let me do it - if i'm lucky i can get 30 seconds worth of brushing before they bolt and don't come back for hours. as a result their fur was getting quite matted and if it went on much longer they'd have to have fur shaved off and all that stuff which would be kind of a shame.

anyway my best friend visited this week with her son and she is (or was) a vet. she's now a sales rep for a vet drug company, and her dad is a vet as well so she really knows her stuff. she said she could drug the cats as if they were having an operation so she could give them a serious brushing. obviously i trust her completely and i know she knows her job very well, but it was so hard seeing my cats lying there totally limp and with their eyes open, it was like they could see but not react, like they were in a coma or something. she gave them another drug after brushing to wake them up again and although they were a bit wobbly for a little while they were back to normal within a few hours.

it was just weird because even though i knew they were in good hands, i was soooo worried about them. she said it's much harder to see them like that if you're their owner than if you're a vet - she used to do this to dogs and cats all the time and it was routine but she hates seeing her own pets that way. i felt like i should be pacing outside the room with a paper cup of coffee! they're absolutely fine now tho and look lovely :D

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Seeing cat under operation is the freakiest thing to see... When I got my 2nd cat "snipped", there was tiny clear spot in the glass to operation room and I looked thru it and there was my little cat. Poor thing had her front legs shaved.
    Even I've seen lots and lots horrible looking work with our cows

Ohoh! My youngest cat. He is the most adorable cat ever. He loves humans so much, he loves attention so much and he has even lost weight! (god he was fat in age of 6 months, 4,8kg ) Anyways, when in kitchen he meows kind like "he isn't there" then in front of fridge he falls over on your toes (talk about desperate)
    So my bf went to eat breakfast one morning, cat had been down on the carpet and meowed slowly and all sudden my bf saw then a frog moved... then cat put his pawn over the frog and my bf had asked, if he has found a friend, he meowed and my bf removed the pawn and took the frog outside.
    Seriously...frog? Of course this cat catches and eats flies (I believe my mom has taught him :p ) and he eats dust and everything he can find on the floor but he is the first cat who has eaten ryebread. I got frustrated when he kept meowing while I was eating so I gave him a piece of my ryebread... it really was one of those wtf? moments with cats.

Heh, the middle cat (female, snipped one) is just trying to be plain cute and the oldest (turning 10 soon) is just.. she arrives, lets you know that she is here so you can give her food. Of course she has sometimes need to attention and no matter where I sit, she climbs to my lap. A bit over a weekago she had been attacked, probably by another cat. Poor thing was hurt but she is now better. I guess some strange cat came to our yard and they had argument whose yard it is ;)

oh this was totally random about my cats. Have been now a week away from home and I miss my cats :(

4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

my boy cat (boobs) is so friendly and into humans that i think he thinks he's a puppy. he does a lot of very puppyish things and not so many catlike things. he's just brilliant. he also miaows, usually if he can't find me (he tends to follow me around a lot!) and it's such a cute miaow, a bit like when a child whines because mummy's gone into another room for about 3 seconds. i have to miaow back so he can find me. we have quite long conversations in his language...

millie is much more reserved and hates people - even after two and a half years she sometimes won't let me near her, and if new people turn up she's gone. she is improving and is much better than she was but she's still pretty shy. the biggest improvement recently is that she practically lives in my bed - if i can't see her she's 90% sure to be there. she always used to sleep by my feet when i sleep, but over a few weeks she has got further up the bed so that more recently she sleeps near my arms. the last week or two she's back by my feet which is nice for her as i keep kicking her in my sleep :wtf: but then when she was at the top of the bed i'd put the covers back to get up and forget where she was and i'd just see two ears poking out from under the covers :lol:

she is the hunter really, she brings me mice and bluetits (sometimes in more than one piece which is just so pleasant first thing in the morning). boobs tries to hunt for me but is totally crap at it - he brings me his trophies too: empty cigarette boxes, empty crisp/sweet packets and stuff. he likes things that make crinkly noises and he likes shiny stuff. he did try for a mouse once, but instead of hunting it he was playing ball with it. i managed to rescue the poor little thing. it's very cute but he's a bit dim :D

5. Mac's Girl

Mac's Girl Witness

I have 2 cats and a hamster. The cats are called Tiger and Rusty. The hamster is called Nipper (for obvious reasons lol) Unfortunately I dont have any piccies but when I take some I will put them up (once I get posting privillages :) )

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Mac's Girl, until you get pic posting privileges (try saying that three times fast), you can put pics on Photobucket or some similar hostiing website and then just post the link.

7. heartcore

heartcore Prime Suspect

i want a dog...now :(
    i kinda...never had any pet, though, my parents didnt really like it and my moms really afraid of dogs...
    but i want one, lol

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

heartcore, I know it's not the same thing, but there used to be software called Dogz, and another program called Catz, where you take care of virtual pets. If your mom likes to use the computer, she and you might like this software. You take care of your pet, feed it, pet it, play with it, etc. (And you don't have to get your carpet shampooed from accidents.) It might give you practice until you live on your own and get the real thing.

9. heartcore

heartcore Prime Suspect

that practice argument is pretty good, though.
    i live on my own and the only problem atm is that i would probably have enough time for my dog :( and i dont want HIM to be alone all the time....
    i really hope i can have a dog one day....
    and i know dogz, haha, i love that program! :D

10. rockyshadow

rockyshadow Hit and Run

I have two dogs named Tru and Penny and taking care of them is a big deal to me. It always makes me very nervous when I take them to the vet. In a few weeks they're going to meet my brother's fiancee's dog and I'm very anxious about their reactions to him. They're only comfortable around seven people so far, (my parents, my brother and his fiancee, my two cousins and me) and I'm trying to get them used to more people.

11. GoodLittle Wench

GoodLittle Wench Coroner

I have two cats and a dog. They all came from shelters.

This is Stella. Half Collie. Half something else. She is a little embarassed in the photo. It was taken right after she got her hair shaved for summer.
    Stella

Cara. My oldest cat. Queen of the known universe, at least in her own mind. That's her patented 'I'm sorry, did you need something?' look.
    Cara

And Sohphie. The youngest. And the anti-social princess. She is half bobcat, and the wild genes make her less than cuddly. But I adore her anyway.
    Sophie

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  12. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

All your pets are cute but I'm partial to this little lady :) We have two tortoiseshell as well and I so do know this look.

13. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Oh great...I come back from a week of vacation to find that my cat, Ellie, has peed in my bedroom!!!!! :scream: I know it's her and not Cricket. She's done it before. Man...there is no smell on earth worse than this! And to make matters worse, I can't seem to FIND where she did it! I found one small spot and treated it with that Nature's Miracle stuff, but I don't think I found it all. :( And in my bedroom, no less. Yuck.

14. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i have new kittens! i am fostering a momma cat and her three week old baby boys until they can be weaned and adopted. i named them after house characters!

house
    wilson
    foreman
    and of course momma cat is cuddy!

i am so excited to have them! the momma is very sweet and the babies like getting cuddles too!

15. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Very cute allmaple :) I'm sure they'll have you properly trained in no time :lol: