Grade "Epilogue"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Sep 21, 2009.

?

How would you grade Epilogue?

1. A+

27 vote(s)
    21.6%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. A-

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. B+

14 vote(s)
    11.2%
  5. B

14 vote(s)
    11.2%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. D

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  12. D-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. F

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. kljmiami

kljmiami Dead on Arrival

I could not agree more. I had to rewind that scene because I was sure I was suffering from hallucinations. I mean HUH?:wtf:

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

First off, Jake... I saw Andrew Lawrence's name in the credits, but had forgotten about him being on there by the time they showed Jake, so I didn't connect it till just now. Wow! Andrew grew up! The whole time it was showing him, all I could think was "that kid should have been the one in Mummy 3 cause he looks like Brendan Fraser right down to the haircut." :lol:

The sister Risa, I didn't notice it at first, but when she was on Sid's table, I totally saw the resemblance between her and Angell that Stella mentioned.

Danny, please shave! That much facial hair does NOT suit him.

Okay, this episode was totally anti-climatic. I didn't care that much for it. I hated the fact that the shooting had nothing to do with anything. Just some people trying to scare the city into paying them? :wtf: ZZZZZZZ!!!! Boring! :yawn:

Loved it when Adam was all hyper when he first came to the scene and then when he said "chicketa" or whatever it was his said. :lol:

Stella and Adam- at least we didn't have to see a kiss there. I think I totally would have puked. :lol: That whole storyline seems pointless to me. You know, in a primetime soapy show, the only reason this kind of storyline would happen is so that the woman would later turn up pregnant. Really hope that doesn't happen here. So, I think it should have been left on the cutting room floor like the Cath/Nick kiss from the CSI premiere ep was. :lol: It was totally out of place and had nothing to do with anything. They didn't show enough of it to make anyone think "okay this is them just dealing with the aftermath of the shooting". It just looked like instead of picking up a random guy in a bar, she picked up Adam (or vice versa, whatever). I think the point would have been better if it had been a random guy that she barely knew because of the fact that Stella's had shady boyfriends, one she even had to kill to protect herself. That would have been the "oh no she's dealing with almost dying very badly". This Adam/Stella thing was just pointless and didn't prove the point they were supposedly trying to make at all.

Liked the scene with Lindsay rocking Lucy. My first thought was "OMG they didn't SORAS the baby!" :lol: She's still tiny! Yay! :lol: And the thing she said about the 10% chain of rain and bringing her umbrella cause that's enough of a chance for her to believe it as a way of telling Danny that a 10% chance of walking is still a chance. Then I liked the way they tied that in to the end where Danny was trying to walk and then saw it raining and smiled. Nice. :)

New girl did not impress me all that much. She may grow on me, but I dunno. She doesn't strike me the way Riley Adams did on her first day. I instantly liked Riley. Haylen on the other hand may take some time. I didn't hate her and at least they didn't cast someone I couldn't stand, but I'm not super-impressed either. I did like how quickly Adam got annoyed with her and was like "buy-bye". :lol:

And I find it amusing how everyone else has picked up Danny's catch word "boom". We've heard Flack and Lindsay say it... Now I wanna hear Adam say... just once.

And :lol: that Adam once again mentioned how he's the low man on the totem pole. I still snicker every time I think of that scene where he told Danny that and Danny asked what that made him and Adam said "low man on totem pole's friend" in that cute silly voice. Adam = :adore: :D

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  3. Nat_attack

Nat_attack Rookie

Excuse me if my thoughts are a little jumbled, I'm just going to type out all the thoughts I had, feel free to reply to me back and start a discussion. :p

* I thought it was interested when they flashed back to the shooting how perceptive Flack was, he noticed Danny's injury before Lindsey even did, and then Lindsey came over and shooed Flack away a bit.

* I thought the brother (I'm not sure what the actor's name is, forgive me) of Risa's performance while being interrogating was so refreshing, usually the perp's just sit there and snark while their in the room, but I thought the crying and the unsureness of being in that situation was so much more real than usual for the inter. scenes. I loved it.

* I'll admit I was a bit squicked out at the Stella/Adam thing. :p But at the same time, it was classic Adam after Stella talked to him about it and said how fun it was that he was all giddy, like a dork being excited about a 'older woman'. Still, ew. Come on Adam, you can do so much better. :lol:

* The Danny and Lindsey scenes were alright, but did anyone else notice that as Lindsey was making her speech about loving him and everything, Danny was looking away a bit, he almost seemed a little unsure?

* I don't care if it was corny, foot wiggle + the most adorable Carmine smile yet through the rainy window = awwwwwwww :adore:

Overall I give this episode a B+, but in the past I've never liked the premiere's the best, it's always an episode mid-season that makes me happiest. Dunno why, might just be the actors get back into character and it makes for a better episode.

4. dannicalliope

dannicalliope Victim

My mouth dropped open when I saw them "hook up" and I almost threw something at my set. Then I yelled at Stella.

5. NypdFlackie

NypdFlackie Hit and Run

First off, I must say, it sure does feel good to have wednesdays to look forward to again. The beginning of this episode sort of confused me. i would've thought that they would've went into more detail as they all fell to the floor of the bar from the shooting. I would've thought we would've seen more of what happened to Danny and maybe more concern from the team...ie...Flack or Mac, or even Stella aiding him as he was laying there bleeding from his leg.

Mac, as always...the leader of the pack, he did seem more ambitious this episode and just wanted some answers as to what happened, but what boss wouldn't want to.

Stella and Adam....how the heck did that happen? I can't even imagine what sort senerio could bring them into the bedroom together.

Lindsay....meh....could do without her, sorry. Although her speech on the 10% chance was sort of heartfelt, but for Danny's sake of course.

Danny. Dude....I love ya man, but shave and cut that hair! I know being in the wheel chair and only having 10% chance to walk again can be depressing, but I really do miss the cut and clean look, anyone else agree?

Flack. Why? The lady at the bar covering his eyes at the bar, I am assuming shes the one he kissed from the previews we all saw. And than he seemed to be smiling and maybe flirting with the blond lady? i guess we all have ways of coping and dealing with death, I don't know if Angell's death hit him all the way yet and this is just a way of blocking it. Whatever the reason is, I'm not liking the "player" like behavior.

Hawkes. though from spoilers I've read, I really don't want to see him struggling with financials, but at the end, was that him doing part time work? poor hawkes :(

Sid. As always, so careful with his work, and just good ol Sid.

6. Cath

Cath Dead on Arrival

Exactly! A random bar hook up for Stella would have more sense, hell, Flack/Stella or better yet Stella and anyone else from the department would have made more sense than the absurdity of Adam/Stella. :rolleyes:

7. Nat_attack

Nat_attack Rookie

I know everyone doesn't like Danny's beard, but I do love his hair long, he should keep it long and styled but clean up the facial hair a wee bit...

You have to realize mental health does take a toll on your appearance...believe me, and anyone else here who has had problems in the past, you start to not give a **** about how you look. :rolleyes:

And considering this a TV show, and everyone's mental breakdowns are gone through with flowing locks and perfect makeup..well...I'm glad Danny looks unkempt. Because it's realistic. :p

8. LittleMax

LittleMax Victim

I pretty much think I broke some serious speed limits to get home from work in time from this!! I just wanna hug Flack...hug him and not let go lol, I feel so bad for him.
    Gruffy Danny? Mmmm, not a fan haha. But when he moved his toes, and it started raining, it was freaking sweet :)
    Stella and Adam?! OH NO!!!!!!!!!
    The new girl, idk what it is about her that rubs me wrong, but something sorta does.
    Done! All together it was awesome!

9. Kreguba

Kreguba Witness

All in all, not a bad opening episode. Frankly, I'm happy about who the shooters were and why it happened. After the whole Dunbrook drama, and the Greek coin arc, I'm glad to see that no one has it out for the team. It was just some stupid kids with a really, really bad idea. It may seem a little week, but with everything that happened (Danny's paralysis, Don losing Jess, the shooting) I wasn't expecting a huge case, knowing the focus would be on the more personal lives.

Now, on to the team:

Mac- as usual, he's only focused on finding out who was responcible. Angry, determined, and trying to take on the world. I love Mac to death, I really do, but I swear he thinks he's Batman with a badge sometimes. Seriously man, lighten up!!

Stella- While I'm not entirely sold on the fact that she slept with Adam just to feel better, I am glad that it was only a one time thing. Her scene with Mac however was true to her character. Too many times Mac has the tendencey to try to fix everything himself, and I'm glad she called him on it. I do wish though that we could have gotten a response from him rather than having the phone ring.

Danny- Not too terribly surprised by any of Danny's actions. He angry at being in his chair, which is understandable, but so far he's not taking it out on anyone or allowing it to affect his job beyond reason. Granted, the ending was a little cheesy, but it was nice and done tastefully so I'll let it slide.

Lindsay- I gotta say, she really surprised me. The bar flashback was a bit stale, but otherwise her acting was spot-on. Being Danny's 'cheerleader' is pretty in character for her. And her saying that she'd kick his butt is better than have her guilt trip him by saying that she and Lucy needed him to get better for them.

Adam- a poster above me mentioned that he seemed a little darker since the shooting. Which is completely understandable, after all he's used to the relative safety of the lab. Fieldwork and the dangers that come with it is still new to him. I was glad to see that he didn't just automatically become smitten over Haylen (still not fond of the name :(). Darker Adam is nice, as long as that quirkyness remains. I can imagine him happily "pimpin'" out Danny's wheelchair:lol:.

Don- apparently TPTB belive that only unhealthy things can help get over the pain of loosing someone special. Stella and Adam, Mac obsessing (more than usual) and now Flack hooking up with a girl in a bar. Not sure if it was a one time thing or if he's dating already. I was glad to see that she didn't look exactly like Jess (though there were a few similarities). Mac knew that something was off, but it wasn't the time or place to discuss it. Other than the constant flirting, not too bad.

Hawkes and Sid, not too much to say about them. Same old characters we've come to know and love, though I wish they would have gotten more screen time.

Can't wait for next week!

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: That's great!!

Don't worry, you're not the only one! I had the same reaction when Joey popped up in season three!! And if you feel old, I still remember when all three Lawerence brothers were on Brotherly Love. Man I miss that show...

10. CCA

CCA Police Officer

I knew I forgot to comment on something. I also agree on that! I thought he did a wonderful job of potraying somebody that just did not want to be there and truly was sorry of the entire outcome of it all. I really did feel bad for him :(

11. Sam-Maddy

Sam-Maddy Rookie

It was an okay eppie. I wasn't thrilled with it.

I hate the idea of Don having a bunch of random hook-ups to get over Jess. It's so played out. Maybe it the part of me that's still pissed with TPTB for killing her off, but I'm not liking where this is headed right now. :scream:

I don't mind the Stella/Adam hook-up, but I fear Adam is going to end up with a broken heart b/c it's obvious that Adam has feelings for her.

I liked the D/L scenes in this eppie and I like Lindsay's optimism. I think he needs that and maybe that's part of the reason he didn't tell her that it wasn't a sixty percent chance he was gonna walk, but a ten percent chance.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Oh yeah, I didn't like the Flack/random girl thing either. What is with the cliche that when a guy is hurting because his gf/wife cheated, hurt him otherwise or dies, he goes and hooks up with some random chick or chicks?

Off-topic, but Sam-Maddy, I just have to say that your EV icon is absolutely stunning!

13. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I thought it was a good season opener!!
    I thought that the fact that Mac's Office unorganized was interesting to see.Danny really needs to shave!!! I liked Anna's performance tonight, I thought it was really good. I also liked that Danny call Lindsay "Montana" again.
    The whole Adam and Stella thing well I dont see it turning into anything big. Stella does belongs with Mac that I will agree with!!
    I dont know about the new girl yet.

14. eyewitness

eyewitness Rookie

I hated it! (sorry, gotta be honest)
    The Adam/Stella thing made me want to puke.
    The fact that they put Flack drikning beer in a bar by the side of another girl already, made me want to puke.
    Lots of cheesy I love you scenes bewteen Lindsay and Danny. More baby scenes. YUCK!
    More of the same old Mac always trying to change the world and make things right by himslef.
    It couldn't have been any worse. IMHO, TPTB totally screwd up.
    This is the episode where I say goodbye to CSI: NY.
    :-(

15. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

So. Teh Premiere. Ramblings. Cos that's all I can manage at the moment. And I'll forget all about the ep by tomorrow.

See. The problem, or a problem, a downside if you will :p, of leaving unfinished business at the end of a season, is that it means you'll be shovelling and sorting thru the mess once it starts up again. To re-establish what happened, and then set up where things are at, set up the tone of the season. All that stuff clutters up offices, takes up characters' desk space and whatnot, covers their whiteboards, fills cardboard boxes that they hafta stack and step over, increasingly tricky given that none of them will have slept since we last saw them, and takes up screentime all over again. Which is fine. If it's exciting to watch. What's supposed to happen, in the wait between, is that interest and anticipation make ya wanna tune in. And then, having tuned in, ya feel like ya got some sort of pay off for your interest. That ya got some answers to stuff ya mighta been mulling, and some new things to wonder about.

...I was bored. Bored by the answers to half hearted questions.

Q. Who shot everybody up, put Danno in da chair?
    A. Self styled Wanna Be Terrorist Mobster whatevs. Three guys and a girl with innaccurate automatics and a nice car randomly shooting up crowded establishments. The city didn't feel that terrified to me. The press mob seemed more of a gauntlet to run. No, you've not got my attention now, billboard in Times Square notwithstanding.

Q. Will Danno walk again?
    A. Of course he will. It always rains in September. It's been raining here all week actually.

Q. Will Haylen Bacall be an annoying presence cheaply introduced?
    A. Early indications are yes. Yes she will. She may get better. She may not. She's definitely coming across as a plot device more than a potentially interesting and challenging character. Hope she evolves if she's gonna become a regular of any sort.

Q. Where is everyone's wardrobe?
    A. The drycleaners, after being released from evidence. They'll apparently be picking it up again sometime next week, just in time, when Casual Friday isn't every day of the week. Cos people just forget to shave and dress in anything other than polycotton pullovers and the like when Dealing With Shit.

Q. Are we going to continue to be subjected to mass amounts of shiny ubertech and unsubtle soundtracks?
    A. Why yes. Funny you should ask.

Sigh.

:p

Alright. Fer real, lessee.

Within five mintues, everyone who had been brooding, preoccupied, away, on leave, in bed, volunteering, meeting strange persons in dimly lit areas in teh wee hours, yada, found their respective ways into the case.

Some nice visuals, nice lighting in the processing scene. Throughout the whole ep it did kinda feel like each character was operating on their own wavelength, and I'm on the fence at the moment if that was a deliberate direction. It could be that the direction overall just felt really deliberate.

I liked a lot of the Stella/Hawkes scenes. They seemed to consistently help a lot with a little thing called plot advancement. Poor Sheldon. Early hints at his money issues. Volunteering as a cure for insomnia, due cash woes in addition to worry for Danny, Flack, grieving for Angell, and a near death experience. As a side note, it would seem that insomnia is a very common side effect the team suffers from. Live and breath the city that never sleeps I guess.

A nice Mac/Don moment, Flack finding his own way into the case. An interesting parallel between the two men. Mac obviously knows what it's like to have little but the Job at points in his life.

Adam was on a bit of a rollercoaster in this one for sure. A little whack at the scene :lol:, but I'm happy he's becoming more involved in general CSI activities and not just in the labs. Think the point was partly to come across as enthusiastic and perhaps even (over?)confident just to be taken down a notch by a Kleen Up Tech.

Had to laugh at one point in the ep pretty early on, after the second shooting. Mac earnestly suggesting "...They know we're onto them." :wtf: Wha, 'scuseme? This was but a short time after "...and despite all this evidence I'm no closer to knowing the identities of the shooters." I know time is relative in teevee, but this nearly made me snort my drink. Still, it's entirely possible that my attention had wandered it had been longer than I'd thought.

Said my piece on Bacall. Not currently enjoying her time onscreen at the moment, not finding the dynamic being established compelling. And that's not hackles on behalf of Adam, that's just waiting for things to kick into gear. Hopefully they will.

Regarding forensics. Flack doesn't wanna step on your territory, but he's got some observations to make :lol: Everybody wants to be a CSI, huh? :lol: Aw, Flack. Was a pretty good scene with him and Stella. And wow, but Albert was one supremely tough & dedicated SOB!

A fun Adam/Hawkes moment, the fist bump, when talking about Albert with Stella.

And then. It hadda happen some day. Sigh. Plz. Tell me. Tell me I did not just hear Lindsay Monroe go "....boom?" She did? You're supposed to tell me she didn't, to deny the existence of such a thing. PTB, wtf ru doing. No. No no no no no. AAAAAAAAAaaaaghrl. No. :lol: F*ck. Just. F*ck. No. When. When will it end. Stilll wringing mileage from it.

Oo. More treats. Broody Lindsay. More DL. Math. 10% vs. 60%, and a forecast of rain. Words I always wanted to hear from her: "Now I'm here to stay, and nothing will ever change that." :rolleyes: The joy. And geez. Now she's all up in optimism? Where the hell was that last season? Her faith in Danny and in their relationship and all that? :lol: I don't care. I'm jus' pointing it out. The magic of Lucy. Unimpressed and waiting to be. Well. I would be waiting. If I cared. I'll just be pleasantly surprised one day mebbe.

And what else.

Q. What are the odds. Of the cops showing up on scene at a suspect's house in the middle of an armed stand-off. What are the odds of Flack being in a situation to watch a guy shoot another in vengeance, just like he did before he started bar hopping, and not being able to talk him down?
    A. High. Very high, when ya really want a scene of Flack being in a situation of watching a guy shoot another in vengeance, just like he did, before he started bar hopping, and not being able to talk him down.

More brooding music. More frowning, intense team members. Unexpected mild amusement at the slo mo lab montages, a teeny tiny segment within it, of a uniformed cop walking in the hallway behind Mac's office and doing the finger-point greeting at someone. In slo mo. I'm sorry. But I was bored, and I happened to notice that and it amused me. :p

So. A voicemail confession. All that done in a hugely and stupidly misguided attempt by a handful of amateurs to hold the city hostage. After a finale that showcased utter professionals. Nice contrast in efforts at ransom I suppose, but not terribly engaging. Epilogue for Pay Up indeed.

Show ends on yet another round of slo mo scenes and a soundtrack. Yawning in my beer. But, look, it's Stella helping Mac, to clear up the last of the clutter in his office, on his desk, the bulletin boards, the (transparent) white boards, the walls, the boxes, all the now-answered questions left over from shovelling thru the mess and unfinished business of last season.

And rain. Powerful stuff. Golly I wish I could control the weather thru my digits too.

-

I don't want to see more of Stella and Adam. Not together anyways. Dealing with the fact that they were, if it comes up at some point, fair game. But really, not interested, not sure what it brings.

I would rather any Adam drama stem from his job security (or job insecurity) than from getting together with Stella. That said, I won't begrudge either one possibly smiling at a certain inner thought from time to time. :lol:

I hope Stella gets better material as the season gets underway. Rather, gets more and different kinds of material then, as far as giving her new character revelations, and things to do. Gets used better by the show. Cos I think she often has been, past and present. And I was :rolleyes::lol: at the first montage, the flashbacks, the slo mo adjusment of a high heel while in her bra and a man in her bed. So typical of NY and tptbs in general.

Mac wasn't an overbearing presence. Was about all I can really say tonight. Ep's already fading. Nothing new or different or oustanding for him or from him, just helped steer the show.

Hawkes similarly kept the train rolling. He often seems to, while the show runs others about in various directions. He had some good moments tonight though.

Sid. We got some scenes with Sid. Not enough.

Hope I don't hafta seen any more interiors of the Messer-Montana residence. AB, Lindsay and the writing for Lindsay didn't sway me particularly. It was predictable. DL was predictable. Would have been leaped on if they hadn't had scenes, hadn't had an obligatory combating of doubt etc. Do I want to see more of them? No. Do I expect to? Yes. Cos she's here to stay and that isn't ever going to change. :shifty::lol:

Hope that the show, having gotten all that out of the way, or at least established what's underway for people, can get into a rhythm for the season. And now I really am rambling and feeling it. Apologies.

Disappointing episode. Especially for a premiere.

C. Average teevee.

Looking forward to next week.

nypdflackie, I'm quite liking your banner. :) </random>

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009