Stargate

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Cat, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I'm also planning to check it out and hoping it don't suck. IMO though, since most of the Stargate fans planning to check it out are hoping it don't suck, it'll probably suck.
    I know, shame on me. But that's my opinion.:evil:

2. NM42

NM42 Prime Suspect

Oh my god I hadnt known that a Stargate one had opened! Hell my fellow stargate...ers :D

3. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I think this thread has been here a long, long time, but it sort of faded out. I tried to get it hopping again the last season of Atlantis, but I guess people's hearts just weren't in it.

I'm actually hoping for some more SG movies, Atlantis and SG1, but I'm sort of concerned I haven't noticed Ben Browder's name attached yet, and I'm sorry, but General O'Neil is just a little too... uh... round-ish for me to want to watch him in action scenes. I just can't see it. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't judge before I watch. Although I do love BB and would want to see him anyway. :)

4. NM42

NM42 Prime Suspect

I do agree for what you said about Richard Dean Anderson, after his surgeries well... he did get a bit roundish and he was somewhat noticeable, ok really noticeable in Continuum. But like you, Im not going to judge, who knows what they will do in the future films... I just hope they do :D and dont bust out an X-Files on us :shifty:

5. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

March 2005 is when Cat started this thread. There was another one before it. I'll let Cat explain:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^Ahh, its been here a while then!
    So what is Stargate Universe about then? Where is it supposed to be set?

And I agree- Ben Browder is fab!

7. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

8. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Thanks. Robert Caryle? I cant imagine him in a sci-fi show.
    All sounds a bit Star Trek Voyager to me. (which I did absolutely love)
    Hmm, not sure about it, I never liked the SG1 or Atlantis epis where they were on spaceships.

9. NM42

NM42 Prime Suspect

Everytime I think of Robert Caryle I think of his character Begbie in Trainspotting, hopefully he wont start any fights on the ship :lol:

I dont know whether I would tune into this new Stargate... I was a bit pessimistic when the thought of Atlantis came out, but I learned to like it enough that I could stand it... :(

10. Della

Della Police Officer

Favourite Character was Jack O'Neill before he did a semi disappearing act during Season 7 (without explanaton most of the time) and then nigh-on a complete disappearing act for the seasons following. Still, I am going by gossip rather than knowledge on that, because I never actually watched Season 8 or any others (were there more than 8 Seasons?) - and I also stopped watching before they made him General Jack O'Neill - Ugh! - Lazy, lazy writers.

Aaaaanyway, I think "Stargate Universe" looks like a partial carbon copy of the Star Trek Universe, in my opinion. (Star Trek Voyager/Star Trek - Enterprise) and it also completely and utterly veers off from the Stargate formula, so much so that it's pretty much unrecognisable as anything related to Stargate - in my humble opinion.

... but then Stargate Atlantis could have just been about a station full of people stationed in the North/South(?) Pole and the people not going anywhere, as in off world through the 'Gate' (You know hence the title STARgate) - I have no idea to be honest because I never watched Atlantis either.

Still, all in all, it looks to me like Stargate Universe is really piggy-backing on two successful franchises, Stargate's and Star Trek's. Hmmm, way to go in guaranteeing success I guess. :rolleyes:

:D

PS: Criminy! I think I must be getting Ooooooooollllllld, because all I seem to do of late is diss the new programs about. But then, going by the premise of the "Stargate Universe", what can you honestly say is NEW and therefore exciting about it? *shrug*

Oh well....

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  11. shippyangel

shippyangel Rookie

thanks for the welcoming, guys!
    is there a hope for a new stargate movie or not all?

12. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Yes, I believe there are 2 Stargate movies in the works, another one for SG1 and one for Atlantis.

I don't think it was so much lazy writers as it was lazy RDA when it came to making O'Neill a General... or at least, it was because RDA wanted to be on the show less and less because he wanted to spend more time with his daughter in California (and fair enough). I'm guessing making him a General gave them the route to a) keep him someone involved, but b) let him only pop in once in a while.

Here's something weird I noticed a while back. I was looking at some YouTube footage from one of the Comic Cons, and when they all entered the stage, everyone seemed glad to see each other except for RDA. I mean, I wouldn't say they looked upset at him or anything, but everyone else seemed to be high fiving and hugging and stuff (I think that's the one where Ben Browder kissed Michael Shanks! :lol: ) and RDA just seemed sort of away from all that. I thought that was sort of weird, since I just sort of assumed they'd all be close buddies after all that time.

13. Della

Della Police Officer

Yeah, I understand that, BabaOReilly, honest. The thing is, in my opinion, making Jack O'Neill a General went comepletely and utterly against character type. The Jack O'Neill I adored never ever, ever, in his wildest dreams, ever wanted to become top brass. He was always a hands-on type of character, so I would have been more pleased (though I still would have not watched) had they introduced vacation time, and/or injuries and so forth, which left him incapable of leading the team at such a time and so on.

So, in my opinion, yeah it could indeed have been laziness on RDA's part, and/or the PTBs (of which he was one wasn't he?) and/or the writers for blatantly ignoring a fundamental part of the Jack O'Neill character simply for the sake of expediency.

Golly that is weird because yeah, all of the commentaries I've listened to on my DVDs they all seemed so clique and got on with each other. Hmm, perhaps RDA's absence kind of forced him out of the inner circle of friends, which, you know, I think would be a bit crass to be honest, considering he did do so much for the SG-1 series - aaaaaaaand ensured that Michael Shanks could return to the series as well.

Hmm, weird indeed.

:)

14. shippyangel

shippyangel Rookie

hey, babaoreilly!

i can't agree with you more. :( it's like, when you watch earlier season and compare to the latest ones, you get to see a gap when it comes to jack.

but tell me, guys, is the whole gang going to be in these new movies?

take care. :)

hey, babaoreilly!

i'm glad that are two movies on the role but... gah, i'm sad about the RDA part. i mean, i loooove jack o'neill, i think that he's an amazing character, both annoying and attractive (not only physically, but also emotionally speaking). but yeah i do get what you mean! i felt like, in season 8, RDA was pretty much BORED. and i felt like it was because of his daughter (though this was just IMO, since i've never read anything about it). i was kinda hoping to get to see him in the new movie. maybe i wanted the OLD jack o'neill back, which i'm not sure is possible, right?

della, dear.

i can't agree with you more. :( it's like, when you watch earlier season and compare to the latest ones, you get to see a gap when it comes to jack.

so tell me, guys, is the whole gang going to be in these new movies?

take care. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  15. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I just read an interview with Amanda and she mentions that she'll be in the SGU pilot episode. Guess I'll have to make sure to watch then. I don't know how much I'll watch after that. I'm not a fan of the spaceship shows. Probably why I didn't care for the last couple seasons of SG-1, along with the fact that they got rid of many of my favorites - Jacob, Martouf, Janet, & Hammond.

As for the movies, Amanda says in the interview:
    "The only thing I know is that there's a third SG-1 movie that's been greenlit, as far I know. I don't know when exactly it's supposed to start shooting but the latest rumor, and it is a rumor, is late fall/early winter. And definintely, I'd like to be involved with that. And there was talk of me doing another episode of Stargate: Universe (Amanda appears in the pilot episode). I don't know whether we'll be able to work that out timewise but I'd love to do it!"

The full interview can be found here: The first Lady of Sci Fi

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009