The Rest In Peace & Remembrance Thread #2

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by sandersidle, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Political columnist Robert Novak dies at 78
    Aug 18, 12:56 PM (ET)
    By BARRY SCHWEID and WILL LESTER

WASHINGTON (AP) - Political columnist Robert Novak, a diehard conservative and pugilistic debater who became a household face on TV, has died after a battle with brain cancer.

His wife of 47 years, Geraldine Novak, told The Associated Press that he died at his home in Washington, D.C. early Tuesday. He was 78.

Long known as the co-host of CNN's "Crossfire," Novak had been a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times for decades.

He was diagnosed with a brain tumor in July 2008, less than a week after he struck a pedestrian in downtown Washington with his Corvette and drove away.

Full story at Iwon/AP News.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

From TrekBBS.com:

Ed Reimers Passes
    By T'Bonz on August 17, 2009 9:04 PM

Ed Reimers, best-known to original Star Trek series fans, passed away yesterday at the age of ninety-six.

As reported by Recordpub.com, Reimers died at the house of his daughter in Saratoga Springs, New York. The cause of death was not immediately given.
    Star Trek fans recognzied Reimers from his appearance in the original series episode The Trouble With Tribbles, where he portrayed Admiral Fitzpatrick.

Reimers is best-known as the spokesperson for Allstate. He could be seen in commercials for the insurance company, telling viewers that "You're in good hands with Allstate."

Born in Moline, Illinois in 1912, Reimers lived in Los Angeles for most of his life, only moving to Saratoga Springs after the death of his wife in 2007. He is survived by his daughter Kathryn, two grandsons and a niece.

To read more, head to the article located here: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_REIMERS?SITE=OHRAV&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. xoxobaby

xoxobaby Victim

This has been a rough week for celebrity deaths. They seem to come in groups of three, but not usually such big star power threes

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
  3. Dynamo1

CBS News pioneer Don Hewitt dies at 86
    Aug 19, 12:07 PM (ET)
    By DAVID BAUDER

NEW YORK (AP) - Don Hewitt, the CBS Newsman who invented "60 Minutes" and produced the popular newsmagazine for 36 years, died Wednesday. He was 86.

He died of pancreatic cancer at his Bridgehampton home, CBS said. His death came month after that of fellow CBS legend Walter Cronkite.

Hewitt joined CBS News in television's infancy in 1948, and produced the first televised presidential debate between John F. Kennedy and Richard Nixon in 1960.

He made his mark in the late 1960s when CBS agreed to try his idea of a one-hour broadcast that mixed hard news and feature stories. The television newsmagazine was born on Sept. 24, 1968, when the "60 Minutes" stopwatch began ticking.

He dreamed of a television version of Life, the dominant magazine of the mid-20th century, where interviews with entertainers could coexist with investigations that exposed corporate malfeasance.

"The formula is simple," he wrote in a memoir in 2001, "and it's reduced to four words every kid in the world knows: Tell me a story. It's that easy."

Full story at Iwon/AP News.

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Senator Edward Kennedy dies
    8 mins ago

HYANNIS PORT, Mass. – Massachusetts Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, the liberal lion of the Senate, has died after battling a brain tumor. He was 77.

Kennedy's family announced his death in a brief statement released early Wednesday.

For nearly a half-century in the Senate, Kennedy was a dominant voice on health care, civil rights, war and peace, and more. To the American public, though, he was best known as the last surviving brother of a storied political family.

Kennedy was elected to the Senate in 1962, when his brother John was president, and served longer than all but two senators in history.

Over the decades, Kennedy put his imprint on every major piece of social legislation to clear the Congress.

5. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

God Bless Ted Kennedy, you will be missed!

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Man, that's sad. First Eunice two weeks ago and now Edward. :(

7. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

That's sad about Ted Kennedy :(

R.I.P. Senator Kennedy. You will be missed.

8. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

From someone who lives in MA - we knew it was going to happen sooner rather than later. He did not look good at Eunice's wake the other week. :(

R.I.P. Ted Kennedy!

Susan

9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

RIP Ted, our thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends, in their time of need. May you find peace and may you meet up with those family members that went before you and know that you will be missed.

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Another Kennedy passes. :(

RIP Senator Kennedy.

11. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Former Dolphins Lineman dies

12. Dynamo1

Ellie Greenwich, co-writer 'Chapel of Love,' dies
    Aug 26, 1:33 PM (ET)
    By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY

NEW YORK (AP) - Ellie Greenwich, who wrote such classic pop songs as "Chapel of Love,""River Deep, Mountain High" and "Be My Baby" with Phil Spector, has died, according to her niece. She was 68 years old.

Jessica Weiner says Greenwich died of a heart attack at St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital in New York. Greenwich had been in the hospital fighting pneumonia.

Greenwich was a member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame and was considered one of the industry's most successful songwriters.
    She is survived by her sister, a brother-in-law, her niece and nephew.

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Another great Kennedy, Ted, 46 years in the Senate, and a force to be reckoned with the "LION" I heard the news when they cut in on Primetime, and broke down and cried. I was hoping he'd beat this, although deep down I knew he wouldn't:( On July 15. the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions committee, which Sen. Kennedy chaired, passed health care legislation that he had helped write and it may be one day regarded as the capstone to Sen. Kennedy's government career~ He also electrified the opening night of the Democratic National Convention in Denver, [to endorse Pres. Obama] in August, a year ago, with an unscheduled appearance and a speech that had delegates on their feet.. many cried~The last brother of this famous dynasty. May he RIP he'll be sorely missed:(

14. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

We've lost Ted, now we lose another.

Dominick Dunne Dies

By POLLY ANDERSON

NEW YORK (AP) - Author Dominick Dunne, who told stories of shocking crimes among the rich and famous through his magazine articles and best-selling novels such as "The Two Mrs. Grenvilles," died Wednesday at his home in Manhattan. He was 83.

Actor-director Griffin Dunne said in a statement released by Vanity Fair that his father had been battling bladder cancer for some time. But the cancer did not prevent Dunne from working and socializing, his twin passions.

Here's the link to the rest of the story. It goes on about his life and the murder of his daughter. (In case you don't know he's daughter was Dominique Dunne, she played the eldest daughter in the move 'Poltergeist'). I've read one of his book, he's a good writer and he'll be missed on TruTV, as well.

15. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I admit I haven't read the Dominick Dunne books but I watch/ed him on Tru tv, "Power, Privilege and Justice."

My thoughts and prayers go out this his family, and friends, he is with his daughter may his family find peace in their hearts.