CSI:NY Spoiler Discussion - Bring on Season 6!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

:eek: Ohnoez! A character in a wheelchair a hot chick with a seekrit! How original! </sarcasm>

I agree with you, Cyn, I hope Lindsay is not "Oh, why?! Why me?! First my dead friends and now, my disabled husband! And I have to look after the baby! And solve crimes! And... (rant goes on forever)".

As for the new character, I always wonder why TV show characters can't be normal people without dark secrets or terrible traumatic experiences behind. Thinking about NY's characters, most of them have been through so much I actually find it hilarious and beyond absurd.

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

As a person with a disability I have to say there's a fine line between dealing with a person's realistic reactions to and struggles with becoming disabled and pushing the stereotype that people with disabilities need to be taken care of and are somehow less than people without disabilities. Because this show started out with Dr. Giles as a character I am hopeful for the former, but I fear for the latter. If they intend to have Danny be disabled for an ongoing period of time I hope they don't muck it up completely. If they don't have Danny be disabled for an ongoing period of time then what's the point? They've put themselves into a potentially disasterous position with this story line I think.

3. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Exactly. It's a tricky one to manage and being that tptb aren't always great with continuity I do have some concerns.

4. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Hmmm, Danny in a wheelchair. Well. I think I am concerned as well! I liked the Giles character in S1 and wondered if the show would ever injure a character to this extent. Danny has always been a very physical character in NY, chasing suspects down alleyways, running across rooftops, hanging off the Statue of Liberty in a harness. I find it sort of ironic that in all the situations he has put himself in that were dangerous the one they choose that injures him is him sitting on a barstool.:confused:

PA, you have a very valid point that I agree with entirely. If the injury is long-term disabling, then they need to go there with the character and allow the characters to portray the grappling (for lack of a better word) that comes with that kind of change and adjustment. I think Danny is a good choice to show that kind of emotional journey.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  5. Miss Doolittle

Miss Doolittle Dead on Arrival

I don't think that Danny's injury would be a long-term one. If it is I think he can't go out of hospital to meet the mysterious caller even if Mac is with him. I'd rather think his injury is minor one and doctors put him on wheelchair for caution. :) If the injury is a long-term one... I think tptb wouldn't have mentioned about balancing jobs and taking care of Lucy and housework because Danny probably can't do those things in the first place.

6. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Is it bad that I am happy that it is Danny, only because this way I was right all along. Ha!
    All of the signs pointed to him last season. The shoot out, the baby plot, it all pointed to something bad happening to him. Top will agree. We chatted about this last April.

But gloating aside. There is a lot of potential with this storyline. I dont think it will be permanent, maybe some spinal swelling that will cause him to be out of it for most of the season. Ya know? Maybe he'll get better but never be the badass cop he used to be.

I'm hoping for some good Hawkes being a doctor scenes and some Flack scenes.

Oh yeah.. and Lindsay :/ ... her... right? I dont know what to expect there except guilt. Danny pushed her out of the way and now he is in a wheel chair. "This is all my fault. I'm sorry Danny..." Drama.

7. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

You are, and I agree. I don't want to see Lindsay painted as a martyr or going "poor me!" all the time. Yes, because she's married to Danny what happens to him directly affects her, too. But she needs to be able to put herself aside when it comes to being there for him, which is exactly what she didn't do when it came to the death of Ruben. So it will be interesting to see if she's grown at all from that.

Yeah, agreed--I kind of thought we'd see Danny face direct consequences of some of his reckless actions, but I guess not. But your point about him being a very physical character is a good one. This is going to be really hard for him to deal with, more so than it would have been for others perhaps (except maybe Flack).

8. raymakay

raymakay Dead on Arrival

This is the part that worries me. I think the guilt should be played out because it would be the normal reaction and it's something that would have to be dealt with. I'm just afraid it's going to come off more like self pity - poor me again.

I also hope that they let the viewers know from the beginning if the wheelchair is permanent or temporary. I think watching Danny gradually improve through the season could be interesting and I think Carmine could do a great job with the ups and downs involved with recovery. I just don't want some soap opera like "miracle."

9. Top41

Yeah, exactly. I can see her feeling guilty--but she shouldn't lay that on him so that he has to make her feel better. I don't want to hear the "poor me" card played--at least not to Danny's face. If she needs to vent to someone else, I get that, but making him feel worse after something horrible has already happened--I don't want to see that repeated. Let's see Lindsay really step up to the plate and prove she can be there for someone else. She's capable of it--everyone is--and if she's going to be married to Danny that's what she's going to need to do.

I hope it's temporary, but like season-long temporary. I don't want to see him chasing suspects in episode two or five or even ten. It would be nice to see him struggle to recover and walk again.

10. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

I think it will be an expected amount of angst. Kind of like when Carter was stabbed on ER. It took him the rest of the season to get better, although that led to him being addicted to pain killers... but thats not my point. CSI NY is famous for not continuing storylines, lets hope they dont screw this up.

11. Top41

^Agreed. Though I definitely do not want to see Danny addicted to painkillers! SO overdone in TV. And honestly, I don't see Danny going that way anyway. I'd rather see his emotional struggle because really--this is Danny, he's gonna be super-emotional about it.

12. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

^Agreed. He would be the type to act like nothing is bothering him and then blow up. Addiction doesnt seem like him.

13. adder574

adder574 Witness

So if the new character of Kaye is supposed to be a lab clean up tech, and Danny is in a wheel chair and stuck in the lab, I would guess that Kaye is there to cause friction between Danny and Lindsay.

As for Danny, my guess is that they will tell us its permanent but we will get an episode, either as the season finale or during sweeps where Danny is knocked out of his wheelchair, and he either has to press some button that will stop an explosion or tackle someone who is about to shoot someone, and he will be able to get his legs under him in at the last second.

I think this storyline has potential, if done right. We know that Danny is not going to accept help, and will try to push Lindsay away.

If it isn't permanent, I'm hoping they will show us some long lasting effects from the expericnce. Will Danny think twice about jumping off a high building while chasing a suspect? I don't want to see him just up and walking around like nothing happened.

14. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Hmm, injured Danny? Well, I didn't guess at that, but then again I was guessing at who might die, not who would be injured. I'm not surprised, and I can see how it being Danny makes for potentially interesting character moments etc. I'm thinking it won't be permanent, but hopefully he won't recover unreasonably quickly. Perhaps he'll work in the lab for a while (ooh, with Adam. I love Danny and Adam scenes). :) eta: I really hope they don't use Kaye to cause unnecessary friction between Danny and Lindsay. I don't think they will.

I've never heard of Sarah Carter? I'll reserve judgement until I've seen her in a couple of episodes. ;) The old 'secret' thing again. I just hope it's better than Lindsay's secret.

15. Top41

Yeah, definitely. I see a lot of emotional outbursts coming.

Maybe? I could see her being someone who spends a lot of time with Danny, and would be more sympathetic than Lindsay to his plight, perhaps? Though Lindsay spends a lot of the time in the lab, too--unless Danny being in a wheelchair means more fieldwork for her.

Oh yeah, I could see that. Or trapped with some killer or something and at the last minute he's able to fight the person off.

I don't know if he'll push her away, but his pride might definitely make him hesitate in asking for or even accepting help. She really is going to have to learn to come to him and kind of push with him, the way Flack does. Flack doesn't have an issue forcing help on Danny when he knows Danny needs it.

Agreed, completely.

Yeah, I hope we see Danny and Adam interacting a lot. Adam is one person who I can see really trying to be there for Danny.

Yeah, definitely. And that Sarah Carter can handle the material better than Anna Belknap did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.