Harper's Island

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Half, Apr 10, 2009.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, I would (and chances are I'll be signed on), but there is no tv in the computer room. So the only time I'd be able to come in here and comment would be during commercials. Though I'm not sure I'm gonna watch when it's on. Most likely I'll tape it and watch it later... or not watch depending on how it ends. If the ending is predictable, I probably will not bother watching.

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, so... whoh. Alright, no spoilers... no spoilers...

So, um... Hmmm. Well, I guess I can say that I liked the first hour better than the second. The second hour was OK I guess, but the first hour ends sort of big, so that's probably why.

I wasn't totally surprised by how it turned out, but I think I am still OK with the ending. As in, I wasn't disappointed, so that's something I guess.

And... meh. I guess I can't say anything else! :lol: OK, we'll see what you all think after Saturday night. Happy viewing everyone. :)

3. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^^ I saw your name in here & got scared. :lol:
    I'm so psyched for the finale, 4 1/2 hours to go for me! I'll have my popcorn & beer ready in hand. :p

4. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

Okay, into the first 1/2 hour and what do ya know.... It's A Boy! If it turns out to be who I don't want it to be... :scream: But it would make sense seeing as how the killing started before everyone came to the island.... Yes I'm being cryptic as not to spoil. :lol:

5. mjszud

mjszud Captain

^^^I said this, & now I'm taking it back!!!
    Henry NOOOOO!!! :( I didn't want it to be Jimmy, & I think I said a page back that I'd take it being Henry, but that was just...uhhh, I wasn't expecting him to be that crazy!! & Trish in her wedding gown ....that was so awful to watch -- very powerful performance on the actress though, & on the guy who plays Henry cause he really took on a whole new character in the second hour.

I hated to see Danny & Sully go too. I was screaming "no" at the tv when Danny got it. :(

Glad Madison & Shae made it out safe though, & Jimmy & Abby also; still that was heartbreaking to see Henry that way, & so sad that he loved Abby that much. I nearly cried hearing Henry tell Abby he loved her after she killed him. Yes, he was nuts, but it was still so incredibly sad.

I wasn't disappointed, I guess. It wasn't too much of a shock finding out he was John's son, but I wasn't expecting him to kill off his friends that way, especially poor Trish. All in all, I'd say that was a great little series, it's a shame that it's over.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  6. GregNickRyanFan

Wait. :wtf: How the hell is Henry the son of Wakefield? How is that even possible? How did they explain that? I guess it wasn't predictable because I never saw that one coming. I was so expecting Wakefield's son to be Sully. :lol:

Please tell me that Henry had nothing to do with Abby's dad dying! That was all Wakefield, right? Did Wakefield get it in the end too? I hope he bit the bullet.

I'm so glad that it wasn't Jimmy though. I knew he was a red herring. :D

Was Henry the one that killed JD or was that Wakefield? Is that why JD said it was all about Abby because he knew Henry and Abby were half sibs?

So Shae, Maddy, Jimmy and Abby are the only ones left?

Did they tie in the Harpers Globe thing? I'm just wondering if it was Henry I saw in the one video in the background. Because it was some younger guy with longish dark hair. And Henry did talk about college. I suppose it could have been the same college that Robin went to. I thought the guy in the background of that video (he was blurry) looked kind of like Jimmy which is why I was worried, but I can kind of see now how it was possibly Henry.

So, it was Henry that killed the cops, right? Who all did Wakefield kill this time? Just Charlie, Nikki, Shane and Cal (and I guess sort of Chloe too)? And Henry killed everyone else?

Poor Shae though (and Maddy too for that matter). Her father is murdered and right on top of that she learns that her hubby is cheating on her with her stepmom. Then she finds her hubby dead, then her little girl goes missing and now her sister's dead and her almost brother in law did it. I could see Henry wanting to kill Trish's dad at first, but he was coming around in the end. And I can totally see Henry wanting Hunter dead. :lol:

How did they explain all of this though? Was Henry actually in love with Trish or what that part of the plan to get back to the island and start a killing spree?

I guess with the other killer being Henry, the text message that Trish got from Uncle Marty (after he was already dead) about meeting a hot one... I guess that makes more sense now. I kept thinking that it had to have been sent by someone who knew Uncle Marty well enough to know the type of phrasing and such that he would use, which is why for a tiny bit I suspected JD. :lol:

I guess I will have to watch this later. :lol: I'm kind of sad that it's over, but at the same time kind of relieved cause it was making me a wee bit nervous. I wish Wakefield hadn't killed Cal, but if he hadn't then Henry just would have. :lol:

7. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Henry admitted to poor Trish that the whole marriage thing was just to get Abby to come back to the island. Jeeze, what a guy! :lol:

8. GregNickRyanFan

:lol: I read on the harpers globe site that Henry was in love with Abby. EEEEWWWW! She's your sister, man! :lol: When MJ said Henry told Abby he loved her, I thought that meant as a sibling. But, not according to the people on the globe site. :lol: I did kind of think the show would end up with Jimmy and Trish dying and Henry and Abby surviving and then words come on the screen saying that they eventually got together and were married or something cheesy like that... which is why I didn't suspect Henry of being Wakefield's son. :lol:

So, Henry's in love with Abby, finds out she's his sister then goes nuts and starts killing people, but doesnt' give up being in love with Abby and thinking she'll be with him even after discovering they are half sibs? Yeah, real loony toons, that one. :lol:

Okay, I'm off to do the dishes and then going to go watch the ep. I will leave the comp up though cause I may have some thoughts afterward. :)

Oh and by the way, I still think Richard rigged the swimming pool cover to come up on Trish so he could rescue her and she would be indebted to him and possibly keep his cheating to herself.

Why does this thing keep showing me as offline when I"m not? :lol:

Anyway, I've watched now. Kinda wish I hadn't come to this thread beforehand though. :lol: But, I wanted to make sure it wasn't Jimmy.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Harpers Globe thing didn't tie in with the Island storyline like we were told from the beginning that it would. And the brother being in love with the sister even after he found out he was her brother is disgusting. Of course there was a true story where this couple in love found out they were half sibs and they decided to still stay together (gross). It was supposed to be true anyway. It was on some talk show. :lol:

I kind of wish at the end we'd gotten to see a scene where Abby and Jimmy met up with Shae and Madison to let them know they were still alive and that Henry was the killing partner. But at the same time, it might be best for Shae if she didn't know that aobut her sister's last moments.

Okay, I think I'm gonna go to bed now or here pretty soon. Plus it's raining and thundering. Might start lightning soon so I should probably shut the comp down.

9. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

I was crushed when Henry revealed his true self. Poor Trish. That as a nice wedding dress though. I'm still kinda puzzled what the fortune teller said to Trish and how she died... something about your love being your salvation and your betrayer. I get the betrayer but the salvation?:confused: I thought Henry and Trish were the same age. I had said in a previous post that maybe Sarah(Abby's mom) came to the island already pregnant, and we know they are not twins.. very confusing.
    The impression I got Henry had feelings for Abby as a kid. It was evident from the flashback he was very attatched to Abby. I wouldn't be surprised if he as a kid had already started down that path. He met Wakefield during his rampage another trigger. Plus he said when he was off the island he already had 'impulses of violence' and with the Wakefield revelation well that definitely continued his descent into madness. Combine that with him probably still holding a torch for Abby well that really exacerbated the situation.
    Poor Danny and Sully I was actually hoping they would make it to the end. :(
    So Henry killed the preacher, JD and most likely Trish's cousin(I forgot his name), the one attached to the boat at the beginning. Did he set up the gun in the boat to kill Hunter, he knew that he was prowling around Trish?
    Wakefield killed the others, except for Boone.
    Those last scenes with Henry and Abby really creeped me out, and I was surprised when Jimmy was alive. I thought for sure he died. I was relieved when I saw him. Not a bad ending, although the first 1/2 was a bit better than the second half.

10. GregNickRyanFan

Something I don't get. Why did Henry say to Sully "You never should have dogged Trish." What did that mean? When did he dog her?

Trish's cousin was named Ben. Henry admitted to having killed Richard and Katherine as well as Malcolm. Trish said to Henry "you killed my father", but he didn't confirm or deny that, so we don't know for sure about that. So, he admitted to Richard, Katherine, the preacher, JD and Malcolm. He said the money found on the boat was Uncle Marty's money. So does that mean that Henry killed Hunter as well? We saw him kill Trish and Sully and that man in Seattle and we know he killed several more in Seattle as well. Henry probably most likely killed Uncle Marty too. It had to be him who sent the text message to Trish that was supposed to be from Uncle Marty because Wakefield wouldn't know him that well. Oh and Henry killed Wakefield too. :lol:

I wonder which one of them hung Maggie and Kelly.

I still think it would have made more sense to have Sully be Wakefield's son. They actually kind of look alike. Henry and Wakefield looked nothing alike, though he does sorta resemble Sara. :lol:

And what's up with the globe vids? Wakefield tells Robin there's only one way off the island and there's a noose hanging there. She supposedly hangs herself, but at the end we hear her gasp. Did she survive or didn't she? :lol: And was Dangerous Wreck (the person posting on harpers globe's site sending video "messages" to Robin) actually Wakefield or was it Henry?

11. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Did anyone notice the exchange between Sara & Henry's mom in the flashback? Sara looked at Henry several times & then back at his Mom, then there'd be a small nod. My impression was that Sara gave Henry, after he was born, to that couple, & then had them bring him around the island during the summer so she could see him.

What I missed, or it wasn't expained, was how his parents were killed - did Wakefield kill them? It was said that they died when Henry & JD were young, but would Henry have killed them?

As far as the "feelings" go between Abby & Henry. My impression was that he was simply obsessed with having his real family, & to him it was strictly Abby. He said that she & the island were his home. It seems nuts to think that someone would want to spend eternity on a deserted island as bro/sis, but Henry was obviously not in the right mental state.

At first when we saw Jimmy still alive & Abby kept questioning why Henry didn't kill him, I thought that Henry had some plan where she & Jimmy could pop out a bunch of babies on the island so he'd have more family. :lol:

I also kept wondering where that house came from?? :wtf: Had Henry built it while plotting all this out - it looked new & there was barely anything in it.
    That confused me, & also I wondered how the coast guard came in when they originally thought they were all dead -- was the radio still working? :confused:

Looking back though, you can see where henry could've easily been identified as the killer. Notice all those times that they would have to seperate, he'd always go with Abby, & send Trish off with someone else!?
    Wellington's death also -- Henry used the perfect time to kill him to avoid having to actually marry Trish. It struck me that butthead Wellington was right from the very start - he didn't trust Henry nor did he want Trish to marry him. It's kinda sad to think that he was the one looking like the jerk, but he was right about Henry all along.

One thing confuses me though -- JD & Carl had seen the diary, & they both kept saying that it was because of Abby, so did they know it was Henry? I just keep thinking that someone had to have known who he was. :confused:

Actually in the flashbacks I kept looking at their eyes, & while Henry & Abby both had dark hair & very dark brown eyes, Sara & Wakefield's eyes were both blue. Granted, not every kid has to share the same eye color, but still...

12. GregNickRyanFan

I noticed that too and thought the same thing.

I was figuring that it did still work.

I hadn't thought of that. But, I'm not sure Wellington mistrusted him so much as he didn't want Trish marrying down.

13. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Are you sure you don't mean a brown-eyed child? I think it's the other way around.
    My sister & brother-in-law both have blue eyes, but 2 out of thier 3 children have brown eyes (their a little hazel, but more on the brown side), the third child has blue eyes.
    Myself & my husband have blue eyes (though mine are more on the green side), & 2 of my girls have blue eyes, the other has green.
    I think it's if the parents both have brown eyes then they wouldn't have a blue-eyed child. I think I've read that somewhere.

14. GregNickRyanFan

Yeah, I think I realized that sounded messed up, so I must have gotten it confused. :lol: I was just thinking that I remembered seeing a show where both parents were blue eyed (though one had dark blue and the other lighter blue) and all of their children had blue eyes. :lol: Except when they recasted one of the daughters, the recast had brown eyes. :lol: But yeah, brown eyed parents not having a blue eyed child makes more sense since blue eyes is supposedly a recessive gene. :lol:

this site explains it somewhat

So according to that site, either Sara or John had to have had a dominant gene (for brown eyes) for Henry to have the brown eyes. As for Abby, I'm not positive, but I think Charlie had brown eyes, so that's where she got them I guess. But, two blue eyed parents who both have bb (the recessive genes) cannot have a brown eyed child. But if one or both parents is Bb (even if their eyes are blue) their child can have brown eyes. :)

15. SciFiChick

SciFiChick Witness

I miswrote in an earlier post, but I thought Henry and Abby were the same age. It would seem like in the flashbacks that they were. But Wakefield did say that she got pregnant before Abby. So were they a year apart in age?
    But that's just it when Abby innocently said to Henry as children that she wished he would never leave and he felt the same way. For Henry those 'feelings' started developing then. Somewhere along the line it changed to obsession.
    Shudder... I don't think that was Henry's plan. Jimmy was gonna die. The rest I'll leave to speculation. :shudder"
    I thought that house was where that girl got hung. It looked like it. Maybe another part of the house. Since that house had basically already been cleared as a crime scene it would have been empty. I don't think the radio at the boathouse was destroyed by Henry seeing as how the fire at the church was supposed to have killed everybody.
    That was really a bummer.

There was nothing in the diary to indicate the child that Sarah/Wakefield has was a boy, so a logical conclusion was Abby was the offspring.