Nick Song Fic Ch #8 - "Angel"- Now up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge #3 - "The Change" - Stories Up!

Okay, I'm up early so I will begin.

Mine was based on a few stories from the Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers' Soul, not one story in particular, but a few of them put together. Add in a spice of CSI case story, with some Grave Danger as a base and voila, my story was complete, a Chicken Soup for the CSI's Soul-hmm..I thought of it first!!!

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Well, I wrote "So the World Will Know". I pondered over trying to write some sort of "hero" story for this one, but it just wouldn't come. I've always thought one of the worst things about Nick's ordeal in "Grave Danger" must have been not even knowing why he was there or who did it. So I wanted to show him getting those answers, since they didn't provide us with answers on the show.

And then I thought the lyrics illustrated perfectly that not even something like this could really change who Nick is at heart...and that's one reason he went to see Kelly. Even tho I think it was to provide himself some closure, as I wrote in the story, I think too that he wanted to help her in some way as well, as is true to his character. :)

So after all was said and done...he got his answers and he tried to help her some...the light and life came back to his eyes, the windows of his soul, which is going to be just fine. :)

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Okay, I totally thought the one about the kitten was MyFutureCSIs fic. :lol: I didn't expect her to write one about a dog. :lol: And I'm totally shocked that Egeria is the one who killed off Nick. :lol:

As for my idea, the song just immediately made me think about the Cassie case. Well, technically the lyrics at first made me think of Nick saving someone in a fire because Garth Brooks did a song on the Frequency soundtrack in which one character died in a fire (cause he was a fireman) even though the song wasn't "The Change". :lol: But, when I actually listened to the song, then I thought of the Cassie storyline.

As for the proposal, I don't know where in the world that came from. The idea about the ice cream thing. I was just writing that scene and out it came. :lol: My pen kind of had a mind of it's own on that one. :lol: But, it is my romantic side showing through.

4. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge #3 - "The Change" - Authors Revealed!

The idea for mine came from something egeria said, I can't remember if she pm'ed me or posted here in the thread in response to my frustration over not being able to come up with something.

She said the song was about hope. So that got me thinking, I thought about all the things Nick has gone through over the nine years of the show and the four that I think really had an affect in one way or another were Warrick's death, being buried alive, Cassie's case, and Haley's death.

And having had seen the show for these nine years, we all know Nick isn't really the sharing type and I didn't want to do the typical Nick gets drunk meets some girl and they go off and sleep together (mainly cause I can't write that kind of stuff) but what if they just end up talking instead.

So I named her Hope and made her gay.

So thanks egeria.

5. KFK

KFK Witness

I was surprised by who wrote what stories, very interesting.

"You'll Never Change Things" was a difficult write for me. For some reason I couldn't come up with an idea, and then when I did, I couldn't find the words... a ghastly experience.

I was listening to the song for the 100th time when the thought of setting the story in the future seemed like an intersting way to view Nick. What would the characters life be like 16 years in the future, how would the job and time effect him, and who would bring hope into his life. It took awhile, but the story finally flowed.

Everyone wrote fantastic stories, and I don't know about all of you, but I can't wait for the next challenge.

Take care all,

Kell

6. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

I've always loved the starfish story but never made a connection to The Change until I was listening to the song this time around. In the first version of my fic the starfish was going to be a tattoo :D but i couldn't see it in my minds eye so i scrapped it and moved on to a different approach....which didn't work at all. I was trying to find a different way in and the idea of adding a dog made me smile, literally smile while I was driving to work. That's always a winner in my book :)

And thanks for all the really encouraging reviews. I always feel silly sending in such an insanely short story, and then you all are so fantastic and say such kind things.
    I think my mind works in scenes right now instead of story archs, but I'm trying to embrace my attention span :)

7. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

My idea came out of my original idea. I was going to just have Nick at home writing in his diary, it was going to take place after he got home from saving Cassie.

Then I woke up one morning and had the idea of him being frustrated and Catherine thinking that Nick really wasn't ready to leave yet and just needed a little boost.

So I took my original idea and incorporated it into this one and wrote in a few hours. :lol:

Apparently, Nickyfan thinks I need to work on my ending. I'll have to ask my beta about that. Jacqui?

8. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

Well, as probably a lot of you know I came to a decision not to write CSI fic anymore, except in this song fic challenge. This song helped me to make that decision, I no longer have the heart for the show, it is going in a direction that I have problems with, I am not a Ray fan, but with that said he might grow on me and I might come back to writing CSI fanfic again, but for now this is it...this song fic challenge is the only CSI Fic I will write at this time.

My unfinished fics will be erased soon, I will not be finishing them. It is a hard decision to make because I love Nick and his character, he is the unsung hero. I will miss writing CSI fic.

Two years of writing CSI and this song changed it all....I for one appreciate it. It was time for me to move forward, time for a change. Thanks for the song!

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Thanks also to everyone who left nice reviews for my story. :) It's much appreciated!

Nicksfriend, I was sorry to hear you're moving on from writing the CSI fics. You were one of the few Nick writers out there, and you'll be missed. But I understand how it is when the motivation is no longer there. Just promise us if you ever feel the calling again, you'll follow it! :)

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I know you feel nicksfriend..I'm getting to the end of my csi fanfic days..it's not there anymore..I have one more story in me and then a few one shots..and then I'll probably just write for this thread.

I don't like the Ray Langston show. I feel the originals have been slighted big time and the character of Nick is not being properly utilized.

11. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

I've always known Nick's family in my own mind. That is to say that I have always had an idea about what each of his sisters and his brother are like. I've always know who he was the closest with and I've always known that Becky and Nick had a unique connection.

Since I've worked this out years ago, this story naturally made me think of Grave Danger and of Becky. It was an easy trasition from her to the piece I wrote.

Meanwhile, I've always been comfortable with writing for any CSI character because I have a pretty good bond with all of the characters. That being said, I've pretty much kept writing fanfic for it all these years because I *love* YoBling. Without Warrick there really isn't much keeping me with the forum. Especially given how much I detest Langston.

But, I don't think I'm ready to leave just yet. There's always *cringe* A/U.

But, your fanfic's will be missed Nicksfriend.

12. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ugh, now I'll never know what they did to Nick to make him so happy all the time.

Good luck with your NCIS fics, Nicksfriend. Your Nick stories will be missed.

13. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Actually, it was Jacqui who first mentioned hope as a concept for the song...so credit where credit is due :D

Now, I just want to thank everyone for being able to come up with nice things to say about my story. Originally, and at the last minute, I almost didn't submit it. I know I upset a lot of people with my story, and for that...I'm sorry. :(

Thinking about the song and applying it to Nick was really easy. It seems to epitomize his character. But I didn't know how to write that without getting sappy, and Nick is also a modest guy so I thought any story I wrote that shows what a compassionate, caring and empathic man he is...I could imagine Nick squirming with embarrassment.

So I thought, what if Nick were out of the picture?

And so. Yes. I did it. I killed Nick. :( And somehow, no one is surprised. :rolleyes:

Trust me, I was in tears while I was writing it, but once I had the idea, the words wouldn't stop pouring out of me. I started by writing as if it were Warrick's funeral, because I wanted the pure *shock* of Nick's death to hit my readers, trying to convey the shock the team would have felt on hearing about it.

Catherine's speech is essentially the song, but I wanted Brass to read it, because it creates an incongruity that reflects the confusion of grief and loss.

Cassie had to be there, as she is the living example of Nick's unfailing trust in his own instinct, his dedication and determination that makes him more than just a CSI. He truly goes above and beyond. (I almost included Eli too, but I couldn't do it in a way that added to the story instead of detracting from it.)

For the purpose of my story Nick died in the line of duty, for those of you wanting to know. The flag over the coffin was the only clue.

I want to thank everyone for reading, and writing such nice things about my story. Smokey will tell you, I was expecting people to hate my story, and I thought most of you wouldn't leave a review at all, let alone nice ones. And if you *did* hate my story and left a nice review anyway, well...you have my utmost thanks.

Those of you leaving CSI fandom because of Ray Langston will be missed. For my part, the way the show is going isn't desirable, but that only inspires me to write *more* fics, not less. But we all react in different ways, and I hope you can find inspiration elsewhere that's as fulfilling as CSI has been.

Sincerely,

E.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  14. PrincessJ88

PrincessJ88 Coroner

Jacqui, I'm sorry. Thank you for the idea....I guess my memory isn't as good as I thought

15. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Honestly I wish it *were* my idea! Jacqui's post was also inspiring to me :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.