Nick Song Fic Ch #8 - "Angel"- Now up!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge #3 - "The Change" - Stories Up!

I'll have the last of my reviews later tonight :D

What’s the Point?

I like that you wrote this in the present tense, it drops the reader right into the action. Nick in a stunned kind of daze isn’t hard to imagine, and you’ve kept him in character with his anger and disillusionment over the bungling of a case.

You really brought across that feeling of being so internalized that the outside world holds no interest. Nicely written.

I also like how you have the question ‘what’s the point’ running throughout, even in Nick’s journal – and the journal itself which is a very creative touch. It’s obvious Nick is comfortable being honest with himself.

Your resolution of the story with Cassie appearing just when Nick needs her the most is really touching. Catherine is one smart woman to know exactly what Nick needs. You’ve ended the story with a sense of renewed hope and determination. I like that because it’s something we all need at times in our lives.

So The World Will Know

You are a very descriptive writer…I like that :D You’ve brought to life Nick and his environment; the people around him. I felt like I wasn’t reading a story, I was watching it happen!

It broke my heart when Nick asked to sit up, and Catherine knew right away the reason why. Again your description of Nick’s condition, through Catherine’s eyes, was really detailed. And the change of his own eyes is rather shocking, proof of the ordeal he’s been through.

Your dialogue is really strong, it flows so naturally. You really do a marvelous job of subtly reminding us how the team interacts, Nick understanding right away the sacrifice Catherine made to get the money, it’s like he read her mind.

The interaction between Nick and his parents is really sweet, brought tears to my eyes.

I love your ending, with a very plausible reason for Nick to visit Kelly Gordon, as is the obvious effect it had on him. It was a positive change which you effectively brought back to Nick’s eyes. It’s brilliant.

Brian
    Nice start! Making us visualize Nick in a uniform! Two thumbs up ;)

I really do like your setting, giving us a glimpse of a much younger Nick in his Dallas days.

I like how you’ve brought these new characters to life. Immediately the reader feels for Brian, and it’s very believable how Nick is so invested in him.

You set your story well, with a lot of detail into Brian’s life and his interaction with Nick. Your officer Daniels is very easy to dislike, proving your skills as a character writer.

You definitely brought some tension into your story, as it wasn’t certain which brother had been killed. A good tactic which kept me reading on to find out what happened!

It was a really lovely touch to have the other policemen come to the funeral, showing support for both Brian, and also Nick. I really like that, as I really like you story.

Starfish
    This is a great story! I love the conversation between Nick and Warrick, the flow is perfect and natural, both men are in character and I can see them in my mind’s eye as I read.

Star(fish)…is a great name, and the story behind it is absolutely inspiring. (I think the valedictorian at my high school grad used this story in her speech.) Tying the starfish story in with your inspiration from the song was great.

The ending, with Warrick understanding and Nick being so modest, was really sweet and heartwarming. Your story left me smiling.

2. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Awww it's sad I reviewed them all... wish we had the new one already :D

I liked the stories this round... We had many Cassie stories but also lots of stories with animals... :)

And then we had Nick as a child as a young adult, like we know him and older :)

That was great and I really enjoyed reading and reviewing all the stories :D

3. egeria

Aww NickyFan I feel the same way, and yeah I loved seeing Nick across the ages!

Ok..my last two reviews:

You’ll Never Change Things

I really like that you set your story in the future. You’ve shown us a very weary and believable Nick. The changes you’ve wrought are sad, as change like that usually is. The sense of sorrow and loss is evident, though painful to imagine such a different crime lab.

The appearance of Cassie was perfect, as an adult she seems decisive and confident. She re-appears in Nick’s life at the perfect time. I have a feeling she’s been thinking about Nick all this time, which is completely understandable!

Their conversation is really deep, and I like their interaction. I feel like you’re building a beautiful friendship here, with Nick as a mentor to Cassie, who is bound to make a brilliant CSI. I love how you turned the song’s lyrics into part of the dialogue. It really drove the message home.

This was a really beautiful story in a quiet sort of way. A simple conversation yet full of meaning, and hope. Two people, with so much in common, finding a way to help the other through a rough time. It’s beautiful.

From Sorrow, Born Hope
    I’ve been dreading this…because the story is shocking. Shocking in that you killed Nick :( and shocking because it’s so beautiful.

Firstly, you really did a number on us, making us think it was Warrick’s funeral and then revealing it’s Nick’s. Catherine giving a eulogy for Nick was really thoughtful, but it was heart wrenching when she couldn’t speak.

You killed me. Really killed me with this story. The sorrow is tangible, and I love how you describe the team and their grief. You made us a part of it too, because I was crying like a baby at Catherine’s beautiful speech. I love how you took parts of the song and incorporated them into the eulogy.

I particularly love how Brass was the one to read Catherine’s words. And his discomfort and grief were so raw and poignant. I can really imagine him standing there and tugging at his collar, or coughing while he speaks. You have an eye for detail which heightens the effect of the story.

Having Cassie at the funeral was really heart breaking. It makes me wonder if they kept in touch? But of all the people Nick saved, and affected, Cassie is the most poignant. It seemed so appropriate that she was there.

The ending, despite the sorrow, was really hopeful, with the sun coming out to warm the team and remind them Nick isn’t really gone so long as he lives in their hearts.

All in all, your story is a beautiful tribute to Nick as a person. It hurts like hell to read, but it’s beautiful.

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Alright, sneaking in another review while at work. :shifty: Shhhhhh!

A Day Mid-Day: Ok, I had to pick another heartbreaking story? That was a wonderful story. A different perspective being that most of the story was about a young Nick. I knew, I just knew when he heard the squealing and saw a bag, I knew what was going to be in there. Though I thought it would be puppies. I don't know how someone does that and that it still goes on even today.

Being ten-years old and so brave. He couldn't save them all and wondered if he did everything he could. That is so Nick, you captured him perfectly. It's nice to see that even at age ten he was such a caring person. I'm sure what happened to him at nine had a lot to do with that.

You did a great job with the story. Very well written and heart-wrenching and sweet and happy all rolled into one. This was an interesting interpretation of the song.

That's what I love about this challenge, seeing everyone's interpretation. It just astounds me.

Uh oh, the boss, more reviews later.

5. Jacqui

Jacqui Police Officer

Just in case anyone's interested in this kind o' thing, here's my guesses for who wrote what:

Two Lost Souls: Sandra
    The Change That Led to This Moment: NicksFriend
    A Day Mid-May: NickyFan
    Holding Out Hope: GNRF
    Help and Hope: KFK
    In His Sister's Eyes (By Saving Just This One): LLK
    What's the Point?: Speedy
    So The World Will Know: Jacqui
    Brian: Smokey
    Starfish: Pattie
    You'll Never Change Things: Princess
    From Sorrow, Born Hope: Egeria

And just in case anyone thinks they're wise, I swapped my name with someone else's. :D

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Some more reviews. They're just trickling in from me. :)

The Change That Led To This Moment - This song has brought out so much of Nick having enough. I can't imagine him ever leaving CSI Vegas. I like how you mentioned his doctorate. You did a great job capturing Nick in this story. I could see him struggling with his decision, I thought for sure he'd change his mind in the end, but he didn't. At least he didn't quit because he was burned out. Sometimes you have to change something in your life. I can totally relate to that at this point in my life.

You captured Catherine well too. She's always been there for Nick and those two have always been close. I really liked how she considered Nick her favorite but would never say it out loud. Hmmm, seems Grissom should have done that. Love this story. Great job!

Holding Out Hope - I really liked this take on the Cassie McBride story, though Greg wasn't with Nick when he found Cassie. I liked that take, though, cause if Sara was the lead on this case, Cassie may never have been found. Love, love the way Nick proposed, putting the ring in the ice cream container, very clever and the greeting card with him singing. I love when a guy goes out of the way to propose and the adopted her. I always wished they would bring Cassie back for an episode or something. I think Nick needs it.

Help and Hope - “Please tell me I didn’t sleep with a hooker again,” :lol:Classic, just classic. Nick just isn't the type to just open like that. He does it so rarely, but it's funny how easy it is to open up to a stranger. I'm glad he opened up to her and loved her name.

You captured how much the events in "Turn Turn Turn" affected him. Love that twist at the end too.

In His Sister's Eyes (By Saving Just This One) - This was a great story. Love the 'butt' dialing. You got that from a commercial, didn't ya? :lol: I loved how this story had his sister telling him how she feels and loved how Nick was looking at all the family photos. You felt like you were there. I could see Nick being stubborn as his dad, just like I think George has a lot of his father in him too. I'm glad to see that Nick isn't the only CSI in the family.

The hug between the two as children, so sweet. The picture of the family around dad's birthday cake and seeing the guilty parties looking at each other before the cake blew up, too funny. Now they should've had a picture of how everyone looked afterwards right next to it. Kids, you gotta love 'em.
    Well written and this was such a sweet story. Different than all the rest as it was just Nick and sister.

More later! I promise! :thumbsup:

7. egeria

Is it just me....or is reading all the reviews as fun and interesting as reading the stories?!

:D

I'm already thinking about the next challenge....I heard a song the other day and immediately thought of sending it in. But then, I like the one I already submitted, I'm hoping it'll come up soon!

Decisions, decisions!! :lol:

8. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I agree. When I'm done reading all the stories I go back and read all the reviews. Just like how the song affects everyone differently, so do the stories.

9. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

It's not just you. :)

Same with me and my song, although if mine does come up, even *I* don't know what I'll write yet! :lol:

As soon as all of the reviews are in, I'll reveal the authors and we can tell how we all came up with our stories. Then we'll get the next song picked. :)

10. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

Two Lost Souls-
    I loved it. You know, I once wrote a fic about Nick rescuing a dog. It’s one of my favorites I’ve ever written, even if it’s not as widely accepted as some of my others. Anyway, there’s something about Nick (and George Eads too, I guess) that just tells you that he’s the kind of guy who loves animals. Granted Warrick, Sara, and Grissom are the only CSIs to have ever said they had a penchant for pets–still, you can just see it all over Nick. He’s a big lover–kids, pets, people–he loves them all. And I know he’s slowly losing that aspect of himself as his story moves on through the seasons but I never think he’ll lose it completely. You highlighted this side of him even better than I ever could have. I loved it!
    Oh, and his neighbor Mr. Milan–classic. I’ve always wanted to be "Mr. Milan" when I grew up. Or, just to spend the day with him... or an hour... haha. :-D

The Change That Led to This Moment-
    I didn’t like it!
    Okay, I’m lying... I loved it. But, well, I don’t want Nick to go. Whatever would we do without him? I feel like Catherine did, I guess. I love Nick. The thought of losing him, however much I loved the piece, was kinda horrible.
    But you made me feel completely awful in a good way! Haha. I mean, a really good way. It was so well written and powerful. Very formula and very, very Nick. I loved how he encountered each person in stride how each member of his team shared a moment with him. Riley’s smile, Greg’s eager love of the job, Ray’s withdrawn warmth. It was all very indicative of the relationships he does have with each of them–and like I said, well written to boot.
    I guess that’s why I liked and hated it so much. You wrote it so well it was all the more believable. All the more difficult to accept. Great job!

A Day Mid-May-
    Wow! This was so good! Intense. :) But so good. It was a very tragic thing. I really loved the writing. I loved how clearly you could tell it was a depiction of Nick as a child even before you gave that information to us. And, I loved the idea that he’d risk so much for saving something that needed him. It’s a trait I firmly believe Nick has always had and probably will always have.
    I also love that this is a very vivid detail about why he became what he did. I feel like you’ve just handed us the answer to a question we’ve always wondered about for each of the CSIs. Why? Why become a CSI? I love that you answered that question for us. And it’s so incredibly believable. I feel like this *is* the true reason.

Holding Out Hope-
    *A side note. I was going to make fun of he typo in the title of this one on the page with the list of the stories then I looked up and saw that I’d made the same typo. My bad.*
    It was adorable! First, I love Nick and Mandy together. :) And I love the idea of her being pregnant with his child. I’ve always kinda wished that Nick would have a baby before the series ended. I kinda always thought he’d be like the best dad in the world. But, I digress. Great fic.
    Meanwhile, I think we all immediately thought of Cassie when we first listened to the song. But, I also know that I never felt like I could tell that story well enough–so I went with a different avenue. You did something that I know I could never have done. You retold that story even more beautifully than the episode.
    I loved it. :)

Help and Hope-
    I like Hope.
    I just liked her. I liked the story. I liked Nick getting things off of his chest. I liked Hope. I genuinely liked everything about this story.
    Plain and simple. It’s a fantastic story. I don’t feel like I have to say anything else.

In His Sister’s Eyes (By Saving Just This One)-
    It was really good. Very descriptive. I liked that. I also loved the idea that Nick’s family kept a lot of pictures around the house. A part of me knows that’s what his family life was like. I guess I’ve always believed that aside from certain instances we learned about in Burked, he had a relatively fantastic childhood and strong home life. How else would Nick poses that innocence that we’ve all come to love so much in him?
    Also, I really liked how you used someone who loved Nick to tell him how much he meant and how perfect that song truly was for him. It sorta reminded me of the relationship I have with my own brother–and with my baby sister, too. How much we all five mean to one another even though there are heaps of years between us.
    Anyway, it was pretty good. I really enjoyed it. Especially the pictures–and the way it ended. I liked the way it was abrupt and awkward at the end–like the conversation probably was for Becky.

What’s The Point?-
    First–I love that it was written in the present tense. I almost never do this–okay, I never do it. Except rarely if I’m writing in first person, which I equally almost never do. Usually people end up getting so confused and mix tenses like a fiend, you didn’t. Incredible job. I can honestly say that this was the first, and only, piece written in the present tense that I have ever liked. I hope that it’s the start of a trend though.
    Second–I guess people have been saying it a lot about this piece but bringing Cassie back to tell and show Nick that he IS making a difference was a stroke of genius. I think, especially after the death of Haley Jones it’s exactly what Nicky needed. I kinda just want to thank you for giving that to him.
    So, thanks. I think you did a really great thing for him and gave him back a bit of the innocence that died along with Haley.

So The World Will Know-
    Okay, I expected a Grave Danger fic out of this song, I did. What I wasn’t expecting was one as good as this one. We know so very little about what happened to Nick in the time between when he was found and when we see him visiting Kelly. I won’t say that I particularly liked seeing this, because I’m not sure I could ever like seeing a sad Nicky. But in a way I feel like it was necessary, you know? I feel like I’ve gotten to know him just a bit better now–and I like it.
    Meanwhile, I’d like your permission to lock Nicky up in my bedroom and er–snuggle him until the end of time. I want to protect him.
    Warrick and Catherine were the right choices for secondary characters in this piece too, by the way. They were so significant in his rescue and he’s so important to the two of them (Warrick especially) it just felt like these moments were shared with the perfect people.
    Fantastic piece. Truly.

Brian-
    Just one is more than enough. And, so much less than Nick accomplished in his life. But he was young and didn’t know that yet. Still, I love the way this story told us that very same moral. How eloquently it told us. And how well this piece ties to the song as whole. :) Great job with that.
    Brian was a believable kid, something I personally don’t think I could have done. You know what I like most about him though? He didn’t let Nick down. At least, not in this piece. Too many people over the course of the show have let Nick down. Even if it was at no fault of their own, truly. Sara, Krissy, Haley, and especially Warrick. In a way I also think that Grissom might have (a wee bit). But, especially Warrick and Krissy–both dying before Nick could save them. Not just their breaths but their whole lives. Their futures.
    Thankfully Nick’s had Cassie and Brian in his life. Thankfully he’s had at least two people in his life who he really did something for.
    You gave him just one more. Kudos for that.

Starfish-
    Once we reveal who all of the writers are will whoever you are do me a favor? Post this one on FF.net so I can Favorite it?
    I loved it. Naturally, or I wouldn’t want to favorite it, right? Well bah to you! Anyway, I had never heard the story Nick told Warrick before, but it’s a beautiful one. One that is so perfectly Nicky. One that I could see him telling his children, and even his pets. :)
    Need I say any more? It made me grin from ear to ear.

You’ll Never Change Things-
    Oh but Nicky, you will. :)
    You know those "feel good" movies? The ones that the critics are always raving about? I presume that this fic wasn’t entirely meant to be one of those but it really just made me feel good. Really good.
    And, I think Cassie is one of the perfect people to be a CSI. We already know she’s inventive. CSIs frequently have a past–like that. I dunno, it works on her. And seeing Nick help her with it just made everything feel so right.
    It was like their story (together) came full circle. Like everything Nick has worked for and ever will suddenly had meaning. Imagine if this is what I’m getting out of this Nick must be feeling like the most important man in the world. :) It was so, so, so good. Good.
    I haven’t been given the Warm Fuzzies by a fanfic in a long time! :) Nice one.

From Sorrow, Born Hope-
    Well looks like we went out with bang, eh?!
    I’m officially in tears. Hot, fat, streaming tears. My cats are looking at me funny. Church is even contemplating leaving the Strawberry Skim milk I made her to come over here and comfort me. Gideon looks mildly displeased that I’m crying. See what you’ve done! You’ve gone and caused all this upset in my home!
    And why? Because you killed Nicky! You didn’t just kill him though, oh no! You wrote this beautiful, enchanting, and oh-so-perfect rendition of the aftermath of losing him. You’ve done it better than the writers ever could. Better than anyone ever could.
    It was so good–and so bad. Not bad in the "I hated it" sense. Bad in the "what a horrible thing to even think! Nick’s never-ever going to die. Never." Sense.
    Meanwhile... it was good. Great. Incredible. Fantastic. Perfect.

11. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

What's the Point?...First of all. I love people who think like me...that said, this is well done, Nick wanting to quit,frustrated with his job,angry...sounds like our sensitive Nick.

I can so see our Nick having a journal. writing down those well hidden emotions,its probably why he can function, getting out his frustrations without going crazy, just writing them down, dealing with them with the pen on paper...I like.

Cassie...good move on Catherine's part....seems as if she always has the answer.

Good story telling...I really enjoyed the story.!

So The World Will Know....Ahh, love a post Grave Danger fic. good use of the song too. I really enjoyed your descriptions, well worded and I felt that it held true to the show/ the episode. I do love this episode and love reading psot fic....yours held up as one of the best I've read. I love the ending, his eyes, which are the mirror of his soul, in my opinion, were alive again...great story!

Brian.....Okay...three things I have to say about this fic.....excellent story, excellent writing and point on with the characterization of Nick. This is an excellent attempt at telling a story in 2000 words or less...and you did well. I would recommend this story to anyone.Great!

Starfish...a very good tale of a man who made a difference in not only a dog's life but in the life of his victims. I love this small tale of a dog who wagged his tail and got the attention of our Nicky. Excellent story telling. Starfish...I could live with it.

You'll Never Change Things ...okay, great attention getter with the first part, even had me thinking about my own mortality, though I hate doing that on a daily basis I was caught up in those lines, wanted more.

Cassie? Seems like a theme here in this fic, which really surprises me, I would have never thought of Cassie for this challenge but hat is what makes our stories different, unique.

“I have no grand idea of saving the world",...liked this line because it led this this one... but if I save one person it will be worth it.....really liked that...it hit home for me...very good.

Excellent story!

From Sorrow, Born Hope....You made me break my golden rule...Never read a death fic, ever!...I have never read one because I personally hate death, seen too much of it in my lifetime. But with that said I did read it....You owe me! Big Time!

Bagpipes were played at my father's funeral two years ago....and that line just took me down the teary eyed road...I am so mad at you for making me cry but in a good way...thinking about all the people lives my father had changed too in his lifetime. I can appreciate your words in the eulogy, they were beautiful...and wonderfully written. Okay... no more death fics for you...that was too emotional! Thanks for a memory. Great job!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  12. egeria

Jacqui, very brave of you to post your guesses!

I'd say I know about 5 stories for 99% certain (not including my own ;))...:D can't wait for the reveal!!

13. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Yup, Jacqui, is very brave and she's probably right too. :lol:

Here they are, the last of my reviews. Wanted to get them up so we can find out who the authors are and what the next song will be.

So without further ado:

So The World Will Know - This was a great story! I really liked this take on Grave Danger. So real and I could see this happening. You captured Nick perfectly. I like how Catherine saw a different look to his eyes and was concerned, but then later the warmth was back there. Nick needed closure and I think he found it by visiting Kelly.

I, also, liked how you had Nick talking to Warrick and Warrick giving him a hard time. This story showed the close friendship that Nick and Warrick have and I still miss it. Excellent job.

Brian - This was a very powerful story and very well written. What a change to have a story of Nick while he was still with the Dallas PD. Even then Nick thought he could change the world. I think he definitely made a difference in Brian's life and Brian is on the right track. I could see him coming to see Nick one day as a doctory, a lawyer, or even a cop because of Nick. No, you can't help all the wayward children, but if you can help one, you've made a difference and Nick knew that.

I thought for sure it was Brian in the coffin and I am so glad that it wasn't. I really liked how you had all the police officers, in their dress uniforms come to the funeral.

Brian's brother may have taken a wrong turn in life, but that doesn't mean you condemn him, we all make mistakes.

A really fantastic story.

Starfish - Now that thas a really sweet, funny story. You have so captured the humorous ribbing Nick and Warrick used to do and captured their friendship so perfectly. I really liked the story behind the dog's name. Just like the story "A Day in Mid-May" where he saved the kitten. You might not have been able to save them all, but you made a difference for at least one.

I love this interpretation of the song and I so wished Nick took a dog home in the episode "Laying Down With Dogs".

You'll Never Change Things - Another Cassie story, you'll just gotta love it. I wish they'd bring her back to see Nick. Wow, he's the Director of CSI, impressive, but not shocking. Man, I know how Nick feels being old and jaded, but at least Cassie came back into his life to show him he made a difference.

I really liked how you had Nick give Cassie a hard time (sorta) about becoming a CSI. He's seen it all and knows how it can eat away at you, and taking her under his wing so she can make sure this is the right decision for her. Somehow I don't think this will change her mind. This is a beautiful story and I have a feeling I know who wrote it. Great job!

From Sorry, Born Hope - Ok, I'm going to have to have a word with all of you who kill off Nick. lol I don't want Nicky dying. :( This was a sad, but powerful story. I thought at first it was Warrick's funeral, but you're a sneaky one and it ended up being Nick's funeral. I could see Catherine having a difficult time talking and nice touch with Brass being the one who got up and read her eulogy. Grissom was there? Kinda shocked at that, but that's my own issue.

Beautifully written and you capture Nick perfectly. He has touched so many lives and everyone is better by knowing him. Nick's a rare bird for sure and Catherine expressed that with her words.

Great job.

Wow, and I mean wow, these were all really great stories. This song was written with Nick in mind, I'm sure of it. :lol: Everyone did an excellent job this round. Nick so much the 'hero' and the stories all proved one thing: what a wonderful person Nick is, but, of course, we already knew that. :thumbsup:

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Sorry it took me so long to get the reviews done, here we go. They are short but sweet.

Two Lost Souls
    Nick with a rescue dog. I could see him doing that and I liked the little play on names in the beginning with Greg, or more pointedly, play on female species. It would be nice timing after his kidnapping for him to have a dog given his trust in humanity is a bit jaded at the moment. Nice story.

The Change That Led To This Moment
    Great story. I can see this happening to the character of Nick Stokes. He's more than ready for it. The story was very well written and the characters spot on. I especially liked this line.

Clearly, this one line emphasized the deep friendship between Nick and Catherine, with Catherine looking out for Nick, always.

A Day Mid-May
    A very sweet story and I loved the orange kitten given how much I love orange cats. Very descriptive details of a young Nick Stokes and how nice interpretation of his mother's inkling something was wrong with her youngest. It's sad to say that at nine kids do tend to hide things from you whether you like it or not so good job on the characterization of a nine year old kid.

Great job. I loved it.

Holding Out Hope
    Yipee, a Nick and Mandy story. I loved the idea of them adopting Cassie. It would be kind of cool to see Mandy with a kid and definitely the love would be there for all three of them.

Help and Hope
    Hahahah..I loved this story. Nick waking up in some strange woman's apartment only to find she has a girlfriend. Hilliarious! Would love to see something like that on the show, just to see Nick's face.

In His Sister's Eyes (By Saving Just This One)
    Butt dialing..that's funny. Another nice tale of Nick as a kid. Nice to see his family recognize his good deeds.

What's the Point?
    Great job on writing in the present tense. Like lostladyknight, I rarely write in past tense anymore ever since my writing instructor told us unless we are writing in first person, it's best to stay in past tense. Nevertheless, you did great here. It sounded like Nick needed a reminder from the past as to why he should continue doing what he does.

So The World Will Know
    It's very rare for me to get emotional over atv show episode, but I think Grave Danger struck a nerve with me at a time when I was having health problems and my emotions were raw. One of the scenes that always struck a chord with me was the end when Kelly walked away so coldly from a sobbing Nick. I really felt for him in that scene. I think I cried my eyes out during that scene along with the ones with his parents watching him on the webcam.

It's nice how wrote an after the burial scene in the hospital. The show missed that one and it would have been nice to see, but alas we fans are left with fanfiction to fill the gap and you did a great job of doing that.

Brian
    Another great story of Nick's past. It goes to show how cool this guy given how much we want to know more about what made him become the great Nick Stokes he is. Interesting twist in the end how we didn't know which brother had been shot. I liked that little twist. Cool story.

Starfish

I never pegged Nick for givng such a name to a dog, but why not? I liked the bantering between he and Rick. I really miss that guy. Another Nick and dog story. It's known that George loves dogs, but we can tell Nick loves them too from Burked when he commented on how can anyone care for dogs if they are strung out on drugs all the time to Laying Down With The Dogs when you could see the sadness in his eyes as the young kid told him of how the fighting dogs were trained. Great story. Loved it.

You'll Never Change Things

Wow we're all over the place this time with young Nick to old Nick. I like the idea of Cassie going into foresnics and certainly Nick would be a great mentor to her. Great story.

From Sorrow, Born Hope

Oh God. Nick dying. Parish the thought. I found it difficult to read this story given all that's going with my childhood singer gone, and so it would be hard to read a story about Nick's death. Catherine's eulogy was beautiful and it was nice to see Cassie going into the field. Lovely story.

15. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Thanks to everyone for reviewing! And now, drum roll please.... [​IMG] ...it's time to reveal the authors!

I could just repost Jacqui's guesses, because they were right on...except for where she tried to fool you by switching hers and mine. :)

Two Lost Souls - MyFutureCSI
    The Change that Led to this Moment - Nicksfriend
    A Day Mid-May - NickyFan
    Holding Out Hope - NickGregRyanFan
    Help and Hope - Princess
    In His Sister's Eyes (By Saving Just This One) - LostLadyKnight
    What's the Point? - Speedy
    So the World Will Know - Smokey
    Brian - Jacqui
    Starfish - Bookgirl
    You'll Never Change Things - KFK (Kell)
    From Sorrow, Born Hope - Egeria

Awesome job, everyone!! [​IMG]

Now before the next challenge goes up, we can leave a post telling how we came up with our stories. There was such diversity this time!

Also, if you're so inclined, you can publish your fic elsewhere now. If you'd like a link to it on your Nick Fic Song Challenge page, let Egeria know. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.