CSI:NY Spoiler Discussion - Bring on Season 6!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Happy to find I'm not alone but now I wonder why this in on line and who did it ... CBS ???? if they want to see our reaction well I have to say NO NO NO not her

2. Andromeda

Andromeda Police Officer

So Kaye is supposed to be a mixture of Lindsay and Peyton? Doesn´t sound good for Lindsay, obviously this Kaye girl will reduce Lindsay´s screen time close to nil, otherwise this won´t make sense. Because I would have expected Kaye to be totally different and contrary to all the other female characters of the show, past and present.

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Like Top41 said, I don't think the character is supposed to be a combination of the two characters, but those two scenes contain qualities they are obviously looking for. Look at how differently the woman on Youtube played the Monologue of Doom scene than Anna Belknap did. It's not necessarily that they want a carbon copy of past/current characters, it's that they feel the scenes they picked will test the actresses' range in different scenarios.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yeah, she's cute, but the audition did grate on my nerves a little. :lol: However, to be fair, it could be that the guy reading the other lines threw her off. These casting directors should really learn how to properly read lines if they're going to be auditioning someone like that instead of reading it so flatly. Unless they are trying to be distracting to see if the person can overcome that. :lol: But as much as her style made me cringe (except the emotional part which was okay), he made me cringe more. :lol:

Hey, new job idea: You know how they have professional singers who only do those karaoke tapes/cds? Maybe they should have professional actors whose job is only to do auditions/readings with those who are trying out for parts in movies/shows. That way it'll be easier for the casting director cause he could just sit back and watch rather than participating and reading in a style that could throw someone else off. :lol: Hey, I'd do that job. That way I wouldn't be stalked by papparazzi and I could still refer to myself as a professional actress. :lol:

I hope that too. Acting in an audition is a completely different environment than on the actual show or with the actual actors, but lookswise I don't think she meshes with the NY cast. I can't picture her with them at all. She looks and sounds way too young.

If she were short term like Ronnie Lake on Vegas (3 ep arc) maybe, but not full time. Hey, maybe Lindsay will move to another shift so she can be home with baby Lucy when Danny is working and this new girl will be from the shift Lindsay switches to like they did with Sara/Ronnie on Vegas. There were thoughts that Ronnie would end up being a regular, but she didn't become one. She was there for three eps and that was it. Personally, I think it'd be quite interesting to show two shifts all the time on the show. Lindsay and Danny being married with a baby probably shouldn't be on the same shift anyway because someone needs to be home with the baby, right? So maybe Lindsay could permanently move to the other shift, or at least until Lucy's old enough for school. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  5. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I dont think it was the best reading. I think when she did lindsay's scene I thought the emotion she brought was good, but got over the top for the monologue. If you were to say the monologue to yourself its not writin to be with you crying everywhere, its more of a this is how I feel and I have to be strong about it monologue. I just did not like it at all I think she did not get into the feel for being a CSI she just sounded like she was reading it for the first time. She has the looks for the part, but I dont think she played being a CSI well.

I think Kaye sullivan will be good to the show to have another girl on the show, I agree with some there not trying to but Payton and lindsay together in one character I think that they are going to give the character some emotional baggage.

For people who think that she should be lindsay on youtube and here thats odd because you dont like the character already and im sure the writing for that character will not change and you still will not like lindsay wether or not Anna plays the part. I think if Anna Belknap was doing so bad on the show they would have cut her from the show not kept her.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  6. PerfectAnomaly

As Top41 and others have said, good acting can make so-so or even bad writing tolerable. I thought Anna Belknap's delivery of the monologue was cold and heartless and down right mean. This other interpretation let me feel the character's hurt and maybe understand where the character was coming from even if the writing didn't flat out tell me where she was coming from.

Yeah, put the monologue back in context with what happened before it and it still doesn't make sense that Lindsay would be upset when she never tried to be there for Danny. But the one scene on it's own should make people feel sympathetic toward the character. The woman in the Youtube video made me feel that way. Anna Belknap has never made me feel that way.

7. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I think Anna performance of that monologue was good it was not healtless or cold. I think the fact that you dont like lindsay makes you think that she was bad. That everything that Anna belknap says is bad. I will also say the same goes for me I like Anna I think she playes lindsay the way she is writen and so that makes me like what she says. I like the way she said the Monologue.

You also have to remember that the writers and producers are on set so if they did not like the way she said the monologue they would have made her change it they do that all the time. Not to mention all the table reads and rehearsals they go through makes me think that, thats how they wanted it done.

8. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I think Christina Murphy's reading of that monologue makes it clear that a better actress could make Lindsay more sympathetic. As for Anna Belknap being cut--if only! There are many, many factors going into why they haven't... who knows what will happen down the line. One can hope!

Exactly! I actually felt compassion--you could see she was hurting because he shut her out. In the Lindsay monologue from Belknap, all we got was anger and cruelty... she wanted to hurt him, which given the fact that Danny was already grieving seems petty and cruel.

Exactly, same here. That hard, brittleness Anna brings to the role really prevents me from warming to the character and sympathizing with her the way I think I'm supposed to.

ETA:

Yeah, but here we're saying someone else did make Lindsay's words sympathetic. To me that shows it really is Anna's performance that's the problem more than the character.

There's only so much they can do with a weak actress. She gets a lot less meaty material to work with these days, which helps, but if they wanted the conflict with Danny, they had to give her something.

9. PerfectAnomaly

Just because TPTB may like the way AB delivers her lines and portrays the character doesn't mean I have to like it or that my opinion is invalid. ;)

I also agree that there's only so much they can do with a weak actress. One of the takes has to make it to screen even if it ends up not being what they were going for with said scene. ;)

10. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

I dont think Anna is a weak Actress. She has done many other things and no character is the same so thats a sign of a good actress not a weak one. Lindsay is a great character and Anna plays it well.

Look everything you say you believe. You believe that the other actress delivered the way you thought the monologue should be deliverd and thats fine. For me I did not like it. I liked Anna's better, but thats just me. Is there always somthing that could have been changed in Anna's performance sure always not everything is everything perfect. All I think is CBS made the choice we did not, no matter how much you hate the person they picked for the part at the end of the day its not up to us its up to the directors, producers, and the writers.

11. CdfSjaI

CdfSjaI Prime Suspect

That girl is pretty. Kinda looks like she's had botox or something, but anyway...... She was descent but i'm still skeptical. Kind of like Lindsay, i think i'm only going to like her when she is doing her job on the show. Let's hope TPTB find some other person.

On a side note, she really really reminds me of Kendall for some reason.....

12. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

Your right it does not matter wether or not we like the actor or not. Its not up to us. If someone likes the actor points for them and if they dont well that sux.

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

She reminds me of the model that had the big diamond hiding in the tree from the diamond studded bra. Remember the guy that died from swallowing one he thought was the real one but the model swiched it and they found it Danny and Stella I think? with some special light. I cant remember the episode though....I think they should bring Aiden back from the dead!!! A twin sister or somthing:lol:

14. Cyn-B-Demented

Cyn-B-Demented Police Officer

It... really didn't do anything for me, this audition. Her looks have nothing to do with it. Sometimes she raises her voice and it just make what she is saying less convincing... and more irritating. She didn't accentuated what needed to be accentuated? If that make sense at all. Not sure how to explain it...

As for the Lindsay part... Yeah, more emotions, but when you don't know what to do with them you rather not to anything with them. A little bit over the top and I felt like I was watching soap opera for teens. I guess I would have prefer more resignation?

That being said, I guess it would have been easier for the actress if she was with the other actors, on the set, etc. so she could feed on the ambiance and team's energy and whatnot. It would have probably give another impact and another perception on how to portray Kaye.

But I feel bad criticizing Christina Murphy's audition like that. I bet all my money that auditions are dreadful, specially for a franchise like CSI, and this leak is probably not making it better for her lol

15. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Wow. Lotta people rankled by this? Honestly. :lol: When was this from? Yesterday? Yesterday's news. Sure is. :lol: It means absolutely nothing of the sort. The scenes are part of the process of finding someone who'll work in the realm and can handle prototypical CSI dialogue and scenarios. This only tells me that the writer of the article had beyond nothing new to offer us.

Meh. Call me when there's something worth getting riled over. I'm still open to seeing what new avenues the introduction of a new character will bring to the show. The character won't be fully drawn ahead of time. My bet, they've cast by now and are madly writing and in pre-prod notes for filming. We might eventually get real casting news, but nothing that's sanctioned, leak or otherwise, till their damned well good and ready to start the game again, or until they start shooting and have a harder time keeping a lid on.

You want something to be rankled at? Try NBC for a momentary diversion. How about the new Jay Leno show for NBC, taking five slots of prime time real estate off the market in an effort to have one's cake and eat it too, and save $$$ in the process. This isn't a personal attack on Leno. Zucker's the bastard.

This kills off a couple dozen writing jobs and I can't tell you how many hundreds of production jobs. That's worthy of being wary of and concerned over.

Suffice it to say even while there are those who will happily tune in to Jay or at least record him whereever he happens to be, there's a lot of people waiting and wanting NBC and Leno's show to go down hard. The stone in the stomach is that I don't think it will be as drastic as everyone's been predicting. In the interests of brevity, remaining topical to the thread, and general kindness, I've gone back and cut my long observations and reasons why. If that sounds like a cop out, say the word and I'll indulge in another of my infamously long posts detailing what's been simmering for months.

The bottom line is, everyone will be watching to see what happens; it's possible other major networks will eye other non-scripted projects in the future. Bodes ill on so many different levels. Nuthin' personal Jay, you're human, can't blame you for staying with who and what you know (or thought you did), taking the millions offered (eases teh hurt some, no?), nor for wanting to work. Thing is, lots of other people like to work too. Winds of change are indeed troublesome.

I'm far more apt to rant about this than letting loose or fretting about what kind of character Kaye Sullivan is or isn't.

As for CBS and the snippet above. I'm at least on topic with that cos someone else brought it up first :p. I'd suggest that Project L.E.N.O is (a) about finding a way to stomp NBC as far into the mud as possible to take as much of the share of ten pm as possible, while (b) trying to hugely buff for their news affiliates at eleven, and (c) therefore the road to the late nite. How many hours per night of funny talk show guy do we need. By we I mean I. No more than I need excessive volumes of crappier second-tier reality teevee programming, a la you're fired john and kate and big brother bachelorettas I can't even keep track puhleeeeeeease get me the average teevee viewer tf outta this drek on television. Chef Ramsay demands you all go into the Wipeout Zone. At least that's funny. Go on. The tribe has spoken. Bring me your torch. I just wantsta borrow it momentarily. I gives it right back. Promise. After setting a few things alight. BTW. Heard even Survivor suffered budget cuts. So much for the torch. So. Um. Don't suppose you got a couple of twigs left? Sorry. Mini-rant slipped the filters there. :p

While it will only help CBS to promote their 10pm slot and moreover call it Project L.E.N.O for pseudo cheeky trash talking, that's not necessarily indicative of economic woes being behind them. I'd say it's more a tool than evidence of a result, a return against NBC's opening media salvo of 'more laughs/less murder' or whatever it was.

The only thing I was initially curious about in CBS' schedule was Thursdays. Guess they're really trying to go Mentalist on Jay's ass. Put the next newbie show in the ever amorphous Tuesday slot and move Mentalist over. I'd wondered initially if that was a comment on both CSI waning and Mentalist growing, but I'm guessing now that they think Mentalist will beat Leno, but won't hafta pit it against the Office, which I think had higher numbers, and feel more comfortable and still confident in banking on CSI there instead.

Every show got a scrutinizing going over. Without A Trace was cut at the very very last minute because they couldn't find a way to trim the costs, and because the network woulda had to move the slot it aired in yet one more time, and didn't think it could survive it. So says Jonathan Littman, anyways. Exec at Bruckheimer Television. From end of May, here:

Interview With Jonathan Littman

He also talks about the new shows Bruckheimer Films are doing, including the Forgotten, which Danny Cannon of CSI hall of fame also had a hand in. The interview didn't stream terribly well for me but it's possible to get thru it.

Maybe things have finally bottomed out, economy wise, but the slow climb back up is only beginning. Maybe they waited as long as they could. For the Unit, for Eleventh Hour, for Without A Trace, and possibly EV on NY too.

Um. Lindsay's got attitude of her own, if I can observe :lol:.

If Kaye butts heads with Lindsay it could be a good thing for both of them. Honestly. A newbie with some spine and Lindsay having someone challenge her (will anyone?), if only for perfection and haughtiness. I'd like the new girl to go attitude on Lindsay if Lindsay continues to pull the same crap on Adam that she has in the past. ;) Works for me. Stir it up, as da man sez. La la la.

I don't think it's been done so hastily. I think there's time to develop Kaye, especially with what's learned thru her casting. If there really is a new emphasis on characters show-wide this season, I'm thinking the dynamics will be much more interesting. But I agree. I hope she's more New York than LA. Hope she's sharper even if she's polished and glossy. Hope it's deliberately done. For a change. I think a lot of characters in S5 suffered for being used to service stories and plots and soap boxes in ways that subverted them or oversimplified them. Hope they all see some improvement.

The only character that immediately annoyed me on NY was Kendall, well, her and the mayor aide woman. So long as Kaye (and what is it with all the "K" names? Writer's block got stuck half-way thru the baby names dictionary for inspiration? Near "L" for Lucy by chance?) -- anyways. So long as Kaye is better than Kendall or some of the other recurring women they've written (Jordan? Was that her name? Man. Been stuck in the middle of that dictionary for some time. Turn some more pages please) then I'll keep nurturing some nugget of hope.

I think the cliffhanger and the timing of it all could be a very smart way to bring Kaye in, a smart way to intro a new outsider, especially when they're all raw and now stunned and potentially injured further. Do they band together and keep her on the outside, even subconsciously? Do they welcome her into the fold? Is she coming in to fill a slot for an injured character or would she have been coming in anyways? Even though Adam and half a dozen techs were gonna be let go for budget cuts? Maybe a mix of reactions and welcomes or not so welcomes?

I'm not convinced anyone's dying in the season opener. I think Kaye will hafta come in against the death of Angell, a major case incident against a big time player in Dunbrook, and a team beset and pushed to the brink. I think that could and should be interesting, moreso for someone new having to find a way to navigate it. I think it's also smart to have an actress come in as a CSI with Angell having been a detective. I think the residual grudge will be against tPTB until more info about EV's release is doled out and spun. But I still think the show can live without her.

The transistion will just be a helluva lot easier if Kaye Sullivan comes in strong. That's a lot of pressure they've put on themselves. If it goes poorly it'll be on them, but because of the writing of the new character and how she works her way in, not because the let go of another in a financial crunch who'd managed to do so over several seasons. If they could write Angell to be decent and innocuous enough in S3 and then grow on viewers in doses after that, the same possibility exists for Kaye as well.

My gloves wil come off, if there's reason to, once we've met her. Not gonna bother now.

Btw thanks for the link to Murphy's audition. Can you imagine having to sift thru abunch of those? I just hope they cast someone who at least helps return them to New York. I think the new girl could be far stonger for being from somewhere in NY, already knowing the city, than being an outsider having to learn that too.

An odd post I know. Odd days. Either I delete it all or leave. Can't delete it so I guess it stays.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.