The Fort for Nick/Greg Slash Fans #21

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by Deirdre, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seabird

seabird CSI Level One

Just my two cents.

I think that we'd never had nine years of Nick/Greg subtext (NINE YEARS! ) without the actors' collaboration. And there's a very recent example of it, in the dinner scene from "For Gedda" that many of us have mentioned before. It's all about the looks.

Other thing is that CBS, a network that has a very conservative audience, doesn't want to take the risk of losing viewers, showing Nick/Greg in a more explicit way. Which is sad, in my opinion.

I also hope that "return to basics" that Eric mentioned in Montecarlo (less personal lives, more science) means more Nick/Greg subtext like we had in earlier seasons.

Here's a example of it in the episode "Face Lift" from season 1:

GREG: "Don't you ever goof off, huh? Do you ever get a little lost in life?"

NICK: "No"

GREG: "Well, you should."

And then, Greg looks at Nick as saying: "baby, I'm gonna rock your world" :lol::

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

^I agree with Seabird. I don't think either actor would have to worry about being typecast as gay based on what we see as flirtation between the two. The flirtation is subtle enough for a huge chunk of the audience to miss it. Also, I agree that the flirtation we got in earlier seasons couldn't have happened without some support from ES and GE. I'd think that Eric Szmanda probably played an especially large role in it since he has said multiple times that he was told to really sculpt Greg's character around his own personality. Perhaps both actors are just flirtatious in general. Greg certainly seemed to flirt with just about everyone in earlier seasons. Still, that's neither here nor there and we probably should avoid comments on the actors themselves. They're both artists who found a way to create a chemistry onscreen that is amazing to watch, whether or not you support the Love as a romantic ship.

I would blame TPTB for giving Nick and Greg less opportunities to showcase that chemistry, but I think that general character development (which I'm quite happy about) played a role. Greg has really matured as a character, while Nick has become more hardened, and I think that the combination of both characters' changes has made them less flirtatious in general. Still, I can't say I mind. I like that they've both developed, and I can imagine them having more of a stable, established relationship where they don't need to flirt at work so much at this point.

3. egeria

egeria This mod is Ready for the Laughing Gas!

That was beautifully put happyharper. I agree with everything you've just said.

We all know that actors can create amazing chemisty onscreen without having any offscreen. There are plenty of examples of that, and I'm talking both heterosexual and homosexual films. Straight or gay chemistry on screen is part of the art of acting.

I must say that despite the lack of flirting and touching as in earlier seasons, I do like how Nick and Greg separately and together have matured. It's a more realistic approach to life and relationships and is one more thing about the show that I relate to personally. It's also one of the reasons I love the Love. Rather than being an unrealistic romance that no real couple can aspire to, the Love has shown a realistic progression from first flush and flirting to being a deep and meaningful partnership. It's beautiful really.

4. love_fan

love_fan CSI Level One

I completely agree with you on that. Considering what happened to both of them (stalkers, explosions, being buried alive, being beaten) it only understandable that they matured. It would be weird to have them flirting (shamelessly :p) like they used to in earlier seasons. They're in a strong loving relationship. And as long as we have episodes like A La Cart and Bull where their "playful" side shines through I'm happy.

Back to the basics sounds always good :thumbsup:

5. egeria

I really love the relationship part of N/G, as much as the flirting subtext moments. It's what I try to write about in my fics.

Since WMTDB is down for the moment I can only upload to FFnet...but you guys might be happy/interested to know the second chapter of A Love So Good is now up. (That's the story I'm writing with Stokes4Me). My pen name is Seshat3 as you probably all know. Hope to see you there and if you like it, please do leave a comment!

And now I think I'm going to watch some of the early stuff, for the flirting and the hot-eyed looks and the touching. :drool:

6. seabird

seabird CSI Level One

Thanks for the heads up, Egeria :devil:

The same here. It's what makes The Love special ;)

In the first seasons, Nick and Greg had, at least one scene (if not more) in almost every episode and usually, there was a lot of flirting, glances and touching. And speaking of this early stuff and hoping we'll get more of this next season.....

The "What I'd win" scene from "Cats in the Cradle" (season 2). We know WHAT Nick WON, right?

[​IMG]

You couldn't pass a razon between them in this scene from "Primum Non Nocere" (season 2):

[​IMG]

The subtext wouldn't exist without the actors' collaboration. The ass checking in "The Hunger Artist" (season two):

[​IMG]

The look of love from "Slaves of Las Vegas" (season 2):

[​IMG]

7. egeria

Thanks for the caps seabird...ahh the Love in the early years. I love how it's deepened and grown so meaningful, but I do love those early days of flirting and looking.

(clickies! From Season 3 - Precious Metal)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:adore:

8. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Greetings and Salutations!

I've recently discovered The Fort. I like! I'll just take a few moments to state something ironic. It was a year ago this week that I 'discovered' The Love and CSI. Prior to, I only had a passing interest with the show. I caught an episode here and there on SpikeTV, which was on as background noise. My reaction: "oh, a murder mystery show with cool science. Sweet!" Still never got into it. My brother owned the first two Seasons on DVD and when he got married, his bride had the first four. He gave me his copies. Having never seen the first season, I sat down to watch. My reaction: "Those guys have to be gay."

I went online to see if they were, infact, a couple. Long story short, I found WMTDB and got hooked. A year later, I'm writing fanfic and am totally obsessed with the show. I can't watch an episode without looking for subtle clues involving Nick and Greg. It's almost like a game:lol:.

Haven't seen an episode in about two months though, and I was losing my interest. I think it started effecting my fic. Found this forum and was instantly hooked again. Anyway, thank you all members of The Fort!!:thumbsup:

9. seabird

seabird CSI Level One

Welcome to The Fort, PraetorCorvinus :)

There are many people who think like you everytime they see Nick and Greg together in the screen. There must be some reason, don't you think? ;).

The same happened to me when I watched my first CSI episode; it was "Scooba Doobie Doo" and when I saw the Nick/Greg scene at the lab, I thought to myself: "who are these two and what's going on between them?" :lol:

Starting from the beginning:"Pilot". Two words: anal swabs :devil: In their very first scene together on the show, Nick and Greg talk about anal swabs, of all the things. And they're so comfortable with each other and yet, there's so much sexual tension and they're so flirting.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SuckerMe

SuckerMe Dead on Arrival

Welcome to the Forth, PraetorCorvinus

Isn't it The Love so obvious ? Starting from Pilot and the first promotion pics, the writters have been throwing hints every now and then.
    I agree with you, It such a funny game to play the detective everytime I watch a CSI episode (espacially the early ones with lab tech Greg).

Thanks Seabird for the great caps, I love Greg's hair that way.
    "Anal swabs = money" , flirty nasty greg, what are you promising here ? :devil:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  11. all falls down

all falls down Dead on Arrival

I just wanted to reiterate the "subtexty" goodness that CBS has provided for the fans. :x

Remember in the episode "Grissom's Divine Comedy" [8.12] when Grissom, Nick, and Greg all got sick? Grissom is the most ill (being confined at home for a lot of the episode), and Nick and Greg have clearly contracted the virus some how. Now of course they could have gotten it from Grissom since he's their boss & they see him all the time - but I think that they got it from each other. >:] They come into contact with each other all the time, and if they kiss/share food/drinks, they'll obviously get sick. :x It's just OBVIOUS the way the scene is set up that Nick and Greg contracted the virus from each other, rather than Grissom. Right after Greg processes the scene with Warrick (making fun of him for wearing a scarf, btw), the scene turns to Nick who sneezes loudly and hopes that "he's not getting sick." In one of the later scenes, it shows Grissom, Greg, and Nick gathered around the table. Grissom in the middle, N&G on either side. All three very very sick. ;x

SUB TEXT x1,000. SRZLY.

[​IMG]

12. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Welcome to the Fort, PraetorCorvinus!

I totally agree, all_falls_down. I was rewatching some old Greg clips while trying to find stuff for fanart and I felt like I was always finding new subtext that I didn't notice before. I mean, come one -- swapping spit?! Even when Nick just met Kristy, he still ends up swapping spit with Greg (and having said swap viewed by the audience). And then he proceeds to feel up Greggo's chest. And I love the look between them in the scene where Greg talks about being well-rested and having a fancy dinner (rack of lamb & merlot). The amused, I-know-what-you're-talking-about-but-can't-say-anything-about-it look on Nick's face? Priceless. I don't think many people have that kind of dinner alone, and, given Greg's propensity for college cuisine, methinks he was definitely sharing that dinner with someone. :devil:

13. LoneWolfe001

LoneWolfe001 Pathologist

I watched the first eppie of season 9. I am just mad, is it too much to ask for, for Nick and Greg to sit next too each other. I thought Nick handled Warrick's death better than I thought. Maybe he had Greg's support behind the scene.

Tell me if I understood this correctly. Since Warrick was shot after leaving the diner and Greg was at the airport when Catherine called. That means Greg left straight from the diner to the airport. *growls* That means Nick did not see him off, so he stayed behind to "pretend" to flirt with the waitress. What are the writers thinking. It makes no sense.

14. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the welcomes! I never really thought about the illness in "Grissom's Divine Comedy." It sure does make sense though. I remember being disappointed with the episode mainly because I figured they could play up the disease a little and really make it a comedic episode. Also would have been funny if Cath and Warrick were both sick too. Now that I see it in this new light, I enjoy the episode more:lol:.

The rack of lamb line reminds me of the episode where Sara was all grouchy and tired. Nick mentions he got sunshine all night (or something like that) and smiles at Greg. Yep. Sunshine:rolleyes:.

15. all falls down

all falls down Dead on Arrival

Hahaha. Seriously though guys, "Grissom's Divine Comedy" has to be one of the best usages of subtext EVER. xD I mean, only Grissom, Nick, and Greg are sick. NO ONE else. Not even another lab rat, uniform, or lab personnel.

So this is my theory. Grissom is obviously the host (he's the most ill out of the 3), then Greg contracted the flu from Grissom. (Probably through helping him with his experiments, the usual sucking up to Grissom, etc etc) And then late one night when Nick and Greg were...er...getting frisky (or even just sharing food), he gave it to Nick. THUS N&G got the Grissom flu. Hahahaha.

Give me an episode and I'll find all sorts of subtexty goodness no matter what. :p That's why I'm doing all these recap-caps from all the N&G-filled episodes from the past. I wanna show the world the love! Hahahaha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.