Favorite Episode of Season Five?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 15, 2009.

?

Which episode was your favorite this season?

1. Veritas

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  2. Page Turner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Turbulence

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. Sex, Lies and Silcone

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. The Cost of Living

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Enough

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Dead Inside

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. My Name is Mac Taylor

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. The Box

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  10. The Triangle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Forbidden Fruit

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. Help

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Rush to Judgment

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  14. She's Not There

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  15. The Party's Over

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  16. No Good Deed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. Green Piece

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  18. Point of No Return

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  19. Communication Breakdown

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  20. Prey

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  21. The Past, Present and Murder

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  22. Yahrzeit

20 vote(s)
    16.0%
  23. Greater Good

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  24. Grounds for Deception

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  25. Pay Up

23 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. CSIinator

CSIinator Victim

Seeing Angell die was really sad. Lol I think most people hate the cliffhangers. I was yelling at my tv, Wondering who got injured or hurt or whatever :eek::lol:

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Tough to choose. :p

Ultimately voted for Enough.

Was well-written, with interesting, muddy, implications, screentime and case involment across the whole team, including Angell, humour, drama, a prior victim I actually felt for, internal strife, a twist I didn't see coming, no easy cut or dried answers. Strong performances all around. Wasn't about shiny important people or city politics or big business or mysterious artefacts, but three less than sympathetic men gunned down simultaneously a week after they attacked a woman who was going to testify against them. Was a case that provided some good material and moments for our core cast.

As for the internal strife, Adam had a range of moments from fun to distressing about his pink slip, and Stella and Mac had a nice back and forth about the whole thing too. Humor-wise, Angell was great with "bitch, biatch," and happy not to be a labrat; I liked there was a perp named Scooby, Flack liking Scooby Dooby Doo, Hawkes preferring Mighty Mouse. Good moment between Don, Mac and Danny discussing the three brothers and whether a jury would convict, and what would they do if it had been their sister attacked; Flack and Messer chatting on the swingset was fun; was interesting to see Mac thwarted and feeling helpless in the face of the law after a promise made he couldn't keep where Maggie was concerned; and of course the twist in the lawyers killing their clients, and the fact that one suggested he could get a younger, keener version of himself to handle his defense and work the system to get him off.

The ep had a great case, not reliant on anything flashy, anything but black and white; there were moments of tension and moments of commiseration and insight within the team, there was even a dash of humor. A good balance. Was just a great hour of tv, and one of the very best NY aired this season. There was little I didn't like about this one. It was among the earliest eps of the season, and six months on it still stands out to me.

Runners up:

Yahrzeit
    Absolutely outstanding performances by the supporting cast; all were great but Ed Asner, McTighe, Shelley Berman in particular stood out and were excellent. Solid performances by our regulars too, Gary, and Hill come to mind, though all were good. Some pretty deft handling of a delicate subject; was challenging for both the characters and the viewers. Some really smart writing for and nice contrasts between the characters; was a good ep for Hawkes; also some humor with Sid and Pluto. It was a compelling hour of tv, but in some ways it was predictable, and did flirt with being heavy handed; for that I ultimately couldn't say it was tops in this poll for me, but it was indeed very near for how well done it all was. Definitely one of the best of the season.

Pay Up
    Action packed, intense, poignant; great ep for Eddie Cahill, and a decent team ep that did have some great moments; the pacing rarely flagged; set up a good cliff-hanger. Visually and stylistically a treat, sound was fantastic; good guests; not much of a mystery, but it was a helluva ride, the chase was fueled and relentless, and the end, with both Flack and the drive-by, will keep me mulling into the off-season. Very sad to see Emmanuelle go, but Angell got a solid ep as an exit for her, even if she had very little to do with it. Ended the season on a high note after a few disappointing preceding eps.

Also good:
    Point of No Return
    Ep shone when Pino was featured, Jonah Lotan was excellent; great reveal in just how close everyone thought they were to him, and just how deep the slide he suffered was; Sid and Hawkes in particular were memorable. Was a great idea to bring back a former character, even if he turned out to be a rather gruesomely industrious perp in the end. Or maybe because of it.

Memorable:
    Cost of Living
    Compelling, was evenly paced and not the yo yo some eps were, but verged on slow in places for it's complexity; archeology was a nice change of pace, but a false flag in that the main murder had to do with the archeologists more than what they were after; Don showed a softer side to him with the suspect, Hawkes was great, Adam had paper airplanes; nice supporting appearance by Wilford the Rat Fisherman; Stella's mystery was at that point still intriguing, gritty and perplexing. Ended with foreshadowing and promise, and I think at the time that translated into a cautious hope for the season. Possibly rated it higher than it merited for that reason and for it being so early in the season. Hadn't yet been ground down by the increasing mediocrity that made up the bulk of the season.

I remember Page Turner as being pretty good too for some reason. Another early season ep, and, one with Sid. Points right there.

Thinking back on the season I'd not have guessed there were that many that I liked :lol:

Yeah, I was initially surprised, but after a moment's thought no longer, that it would so split people's opinions... :lol:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  3. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I gave three episodes A grades this season:

"Enough" A-
    "Yahrzeit" A
    "Pay Up" A

In the end, my vote went to "Yahrzeit." Considering the subject matter, I thought this episode had a higher bar to meet and also greater potential for failure. Despite those factors, the writer and actors produced an interesting and compelling episode, which stood out as a highlight of the season.

4. CSIChick

CSIChick Dead on Arrival

I voted Greater Good but it was a choice between Greater Good or Yahrzeit... they're both amazing episodes!

5. bonasera9946

bonasera9946 Civilian

I like Veritas, Enough, Yahrzeit, GROUNDS for DECEPTION (alot) and Pay up.

But I have to say that one of my favorite scenes of season 5 is the ending scene in Veritas.
    MAC TAYLOR:
    "You are under arrest for the murder of Derek James, Lauren Salinas, kidnapping and attempted murder of crime scene investigator, armed robbery, grand theft auto, assault and battery, but most of all... for PISSING ME OFF."

LOL!!!!! LOVE MAC TAYLOR.

Overall I have to say that my favorite would be "Grounds for Deception".

6. danny-lindsay4e

danny-lindsay4e Witness

i went for greater good, i know shame on me but i kinda liked it having a lil girl of my own i know how it feels to bring a life into the world and brought some happy memories back.

i did like Sex Lies and Silicone the whole Lindsay and flack was funny was a very different side to lindsay and i liked it. :eek:

7. lowey

lowey Hit and Run

Yahrzeit. Without a shadow of a doubt. It was so emotionally touching and so well acted by everyone. It really got to me- in a good way though. I loved it. I've watched it so many times. :) Brilliance!!
    xxx

8. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I'm gonna have to say the finale "Pay Up".....

Flack crying....Eddie Cahill was totally brilliant!

The Flack/Angell scenes!

And that ending! I knew something was gonna happen, but damn that shooting was totally jaw-dropping!

9. Dany

Dany Victim

My fav was The Box because I liked the way of telling the story by Danny. It was different and had a personal touch.

But I also liked Yahrzeit very much. It was a real well done epi.

10. Duke

Duke Witness

I voted for Yahrzeit. It was an exceptional piece of writing. Normally I'm ducking into the kitchen every 5 mins to check on the washing or to take the food out of the oven, but I never moved once off the sofa during that episode. It was in a word, incredible. So moving at the end when Mac realised it was his father who had helped that man. I cried for about 5 mins after the credits rolled up.

11. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

I voted Point of No Return.

It's no secret that I love Pino...the fact that they brought him back at all made me happy. Granted, then ended turned out gruesome, and Pino ended up being the (very) bad guy, but still, the episode was great (not the Greek stuff. I didn't much care for that).

Jonah Lotan did a really great job, and he acted the part realy well. Sid and Hawkes were also great, both having worked with Pino in the MEs office, and both clearly affected by what happened.

note: I voted this in spite of the stunt casting. Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz can't act.

12. Remke79

Remke79 Witness

i dont have seen all of the episodes of season 5 because its not yet airing here only a half season. but some i have seen on the internet

i have more faves of season 5:

Yarheitz, greater Good, Pay up, no good deed(Mac's Boom)

13. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I can't vote twice, but it's a total tie between Point of No Return and Pay Up.

Point of No Return because, hey, Pino! And given how moving his performance was...why did they kick this guy off the show again? I really missed him from Season 2. And I loved the extra tidbit of Sid-storyline that we got.

Pay Up because that was easily the best finale CSI NY has come up with.

14. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Yahrzeit would be my all time favorite.

Then Pay Up

I really don't remember much of the first couple of episodes but these really stand out in my mind.

Yahrzeit- this was so moving. I'll say here what I said on the episode thread. It was tastefully done. Not overly graphic and horrific like some things can be about the Holocaust.

Pay Up- Was very emotional but on a different level. Very much the opposite of Yahrzeit. There was lots of action and suspense but it wasn't over done. I love to see Flack get emotional and Danny come to his side. I have always loved the friendship between Danny and Flack. Even Mac got emotional when he was talking about Jess. I thought this episode was very well done.

15. lowey

lowey Hit and Run

I totally agree with you. :) I love the Pino too. And i totally agree about Ashlee and Pete. They ruined it a bit. ok, a lot. But I loved the storyline. But I got so irritated about the greek stuff. Enough already! Okay I'm repeating 'totally agree' a lot. But what you said hit the nail on the head, IMO. :)