The Football Thread #4 - It Is Not Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Sep 28, 2006.

1. grssom89

grssom89 Pathologist

Fantastic game! Gotta admit I was worried by Reina in the first 20 mins but after that we were amazing!
    Vidic had an absolute nightmare, Ronaldo was nowhere and Rooney was nothing more than average.
    Torres and Gerrard...what can I say. If only they were fit this season who knows hey
    But like Rafa i have to say this team performance was immense and the way Dossena took his goal was a great way to end the game :)

2. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Just wanted to say that my heart goes out to everyone who was affected by the Hillsbrough disaster 20 years ago this week. I watched the events unfold on the TV and it is a vivid memory that will stay with me forever, RIP.

3. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

So, Champions League Final tonight!
    I want Man Utd to win. Mainly because I live in Manchester and I love the atmosphere when there is a win.
    Its very rawdy here already, lots of fans in the pubs.
    Hopefully it will be a good game.

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^^ I hope ManU wins as well - just because it's a kickass team and me loves 'em

Been mad at Facebook when all my friends seem to support the other team :p

5. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I support Man U but Id predicted before the game that Man U would dominate to start but be over done with a Barcelona spark of brilliance.... also guessed 2-0 which is silly concidering i support Man U :lol:.... But the best team one the night won and I loved the second goal!

6. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Its a shame Man U lost, but I agree Nattybatty, the best team won on the night.
    There are quite a few people here happy they lost though- they had planned a victory parade that would have had loads of roads closed today, so obviously they wont be having that now!

7. Yurek

Yurek Pathologist

Quite late but. Werder Bremen won the DFB Pokal!! *whoohoo* [​IMG]

Maybe not that great as winning the CL cup but still it's a nice cup. :D

8. Ducky

ALrighty, soon there'll be lottery for groups of WC 2010 in South Africa so I think I can revive the thread again :lol:

Anyways, I saw news about one of the "all time" legends, Diego Maradona and found the clip from YouTube that shows his goals and tricks. How amazing he was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GEWW43ZKwc

I don't remember much Maradona playing but as seen in this vid, you can see how he always went to the end, no matter how badly the others tried to stop him. I don't think you see that kind of playing anymore... they start to be like Christiano Ronaldo, wind blows bit harder and he fells ;)

Which leads to the other questions.. is anyone else annoyed that Christiano Ronaldo is called just Ronaldo? I am... because Ronaldo is Ronaldo, the kickass Brazil player (even I hate Brazil with a passion)...

9. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

I am not annoyed if people call Cristiano for only Ronaldo. I can normally understand if people are talking about the brazilian or portuguese Ronaldo, without asking. Something which annoys me though is when people still spells his first name Christiano, when there is no h. It's actually spellt Cristiano. I know, it's a silly thing to find annoying. But I have a name which almost everyone else spells wrong. They assume it shall be spellt a certain way, but they are wrong. It has affected me a lot.

10. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

the groups were picked for the World Cup and the US and England are in the same group. i am so excited to see this match up! i'm a traitor i'll be rooting for England to win, i love the squad, all the players are excellent.

here's the groups for the World Cup 2010:

Group A
    South Africa
    Uraguay
    France
    Mexico

Group B
    Argentina
    Nigeria
    Korea Republic
    Greece

Group C
    England
    US
    Algeria
    Slovenia

Group D
    Germany
    Australia
    Ghana
    Serbia

Group E
    Netherlands
    Japan
    Denmark
    Cameroon

Group F
    Italy
    Paraguay
    Slovakia
    New Zealand

Group G
    Brazil
    Korea DPR
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Portugal

Group H
    Spain
    Switzerland
    Hondorus
    Chile

11. Ducky

Ohoh, Group A and G are tough :eek:

And looks like my Holland and Germany got bit easier groups.. tho you never know what surprises "small countries" can do (e.g Greece and EC)

12. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Speaking of Greece and small countries, they just become a surprise if they are underdogs. If we expect that these countries will fail or simply won't be good at all, then they have no expections. Bigger countries like Netherlands and England are always classed like great teams, no matter the players in their teams. Therefore we barely focus on smaller teams/countries, who often can have some really good players. But most of all, solid teamwork. I think that's why Greece managed to win EC.

13. Ducky

Exactly! (I wonder when FInland manages to do that) I mean - we have a team full of very good players and they just always... fail :p :lol:

I don't think that today's Hollan is as good as it used to be when they had Bergkamp, Stam, DeBoer twins, Overmars etc.

14. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

That's exactly how I feel for Sweden. I mean, everyone says Sweden has such amazing team with some great players and so on. But we always fail, as people have higher expections and we don't live up to them.

Netherlands (yes, I say Netherlands as Holland is just a part of Netherlands, and don't have theír own national team. Not like England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales, even if they are one country/ United Kingdom. But anyway) is still classed as a very good team, who have some of the best youngsters too. People in general think so, even if Netherlands get bad results sometimes. Don't ask me why, as I have no idea. people just expect that Netherlands and some other countries always will succeed in bog tournaments.

15. Ducky

Well in our language it's commonly used and it's just shorter to write and easier to say. And our Research Institute for the Languages of Finland says that in Finnish language "Holland" can be totally used as alternative for The Netherlands :p

*le sigh* Well there are some countries that have football in their veins and having wonderful systems and lots of juniors and the knowledge... Brazil, Germany, Holland, England, Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France...

And I don't think Sweden always fail... they've played in EC and WC as well, right? I think football is probably the only game wheer I can cheer for 'em :lol: Almost bought Sweden's jersey with name Ljungberg just to annoy friends :lol: (I have Tre Kronor hockeyjersey for that ;) )