CSI:NY Spoiler Discussion - Bring on Season 6!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Definitely... it's all kinds of wrong. And I really hope this is just rumors and that there isn't any truth to it. I have a bad feeling that if it is true, considering their so-called reason for axing Angell, I think they could lose quite a few viewers over this kind of debacle. Some people are going to be very disgusted with them having axed a recurring character (who really wasn't on that many eps to begin with) due to so-called budget problems only to turn around and hire a new full time cast member. It just doesn't sit well with me. And quite frankly, no matter how much I love Adam, if they do go this route, I may quit watching myself. I'm undecided at this point.

Another thing: Why does the character have to be in her 20s? What is wrong with 30 and 40 year old women? Why couldn't they bring in a CSI Level 2/3 from another state and have her be 30-40 and hot? There are women in those age ranges that are considered hot. :lol: Contrary to popular Hollywood stereotypical beliefs, a woman's life isn't over as soon as she hits 30.

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Adding a series regular when you kill off a recurring character due to budget cuts does not make sense to me whatsoever. If you don't have the money to pay for someone who isn't making nearly as much as someone who is in nearly every episode, then why hire someone who is going to be paid more and be in nearly every episode? :confused:

The character sounds like a rip-off of a early described Lindsay Monroe, ala Summer Hamilton. Nothing original or creative here. If the character becomes a love interest, which I don't see why they would possibly want to add another, I'm hoping it's for Hawkes or Adam. To be honest, season six doesn't sound appealing at all. The creative staff is cramming in too much at once, and they're not giving us enough time to digest it all.

Personally, for me, I would rather not add any new characters to the show and let the show focus on the cast they have remaining.

As a sidenote, I'm hoping it's Lindsay who doesn't survive the cliffhanger, so I don't have to deal with any of her BS anymore. :rolleyes:

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

From what I'm hearing, it is legit.

So I wonder if EV's recurring salary was really high enough to allow for another main character (doubtful) or if someone's dying in the premiere. Logic would say it's Lindsay since the new character is female, but can anyone really see them killing off Flack's girlfriend...and then making Danny a widower in the next episode? It would certainly bond the two guys further, but I'm not sure it's actually something they'd do.

It could be that they would have liked to make EV a reg, but the show just doesn't have room for two detectives. We've seen that in the past, on both CSI and Miami (the former got rid of Sofia Curtis, the latter Yelina Salas). So maybe NY wanted another female reg but couldn't fit Angell in...so decided to add another CSI.

With budgets tightening, though, it's hard to see how they'd bring a new character on without writing an old one off.

4. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

^Well i'm definitely surprised that they are actually going after casting another series reg. Robert Joy and A.J. Buckley were just added this past season, and now we are adding another one? Even putting aside budget cuts, they've added new people to the cast (either in series reg or reoccuring, like Angell was) almost every season....can we ever just sit back for a season or two and watch the cast we have develop?

Back to the budget...it really doesn't make sense to bring in another series reg if they just axed a reoccuring one because they couldn't afford it. Since the person they are casting are female, I'm gonna guess that they need her to balance out the cast...and the last time they did that, we got Lindsay. :rolleyes: Her description certainly does seem to be what they wanted Lindsay to be, and having her brought in now makes me believe very strongly that A) Lindsay is gonna die in the finale, or B) Lindsay will be reduced to Adam once was-series reg but not alot of time on screen (at least, not as much as Danny or Flack and such). Part of me is leaning towards her dying, because its the only way I can legitimately see them hiring another full time cast member with the budget cuts, and because it makes sense since Anna Belknap does have two young children and might take a break to spend more time with them. Honestly, they could even bring this Kaye Sullivan girl in for the year because Lindsay and Danny have a fight or something and Lindsay takes Lucy to Montana for a year (the season). If they really did intend Sullivan to take over the other female CSI role, they could just put her in this year, and get rid of Lindsay in the next year, when people have said her contract runs out.

But maybe that's all wishful thinking :p

Honestly, I don't want anyone to die in the season premiere (save for the obvious one that I wouldn't care to lose). With the news of a new series reg, I definately fear for the team alot more than I did before....

5. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

For me I dont like the fact they are bringing a new character after losing Angell. Then them saying she was cut due to budget cuts idk is odd to me.

Im hopping they do not kill anyone off. Unlike alot people on here im hopping its not Lindsay just because I love Anna as an actress I have seen her in so many things and each character is different then the other and I love Lindsay so I hope its not her, but I hope that its not anyone.

I think that adding another girl to the team could be a good thing because Lindsay and Stella are out number by 6 guys. I just hope that they add her without killing anyone else and write her in the show good. The CSI's do write in new characters in pretty well but they dont last more then a season or two. The only one I know that had been added a series regular without being on the show for about a year or so then added as a regular that stayed for more then a season or 2 was Ryan Wolfe and Lindsay Monroe.

6. Bunchie

Bunchie Dead on Arrival

^^^^I agree with you carminelove..I really don't want it to be Lindsay. However, we are just in the beginning stages..I'll have to wait and see what comes of this casting call.

7. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

If they are putting out casting calls now, does anyone know when they resume filming? and how long until we start getting spoilers? I am very intrigued by all this. As far as I can see there are 2 possibilities:

1. a main cast member is leaving/dying and new girl is the cheaper replacement

2. Anna has asked to reduce her hours to be with her children, so although Lindsay will still be around she will have less screen time so they are adding a new female to keep the male/female balance up. However, this doesn't fit with the budget cuts that were given as a reason for Angells death.

If they have decided to expand the team so quickly after saying Angell was killed due to budget cuts I think they may not only alienate some fans but also some of the cast and crew. I wouldn't be happy if my friend lost her job due to budget cuts only for another person to be hired a short while later.

8. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Agreed. I know that as a viewer if they don't kill off a second person (read: Lindsay) and this new cast member comes aboard I won't be happy. If the character turns out to be as Mary-Sueish as the description makes her out to be I see myself losing all interest in the show. S5 really lessened my interest to the point that I actually missed a few episodes and I'm not at all interested in the S5 DVDs even though I have all the other seasons. If they keep Lindsay and add another self-insert, Mary Sue after cutting EV due to "budget cuts" I may have to cut CSI: NY from my viewing list.

9. Top41

I doubt the new character will be a Mary Sue. Lindsay is the show's/franchise's only Mary Sue-ish character, a fluke more than a rule if you look at the other characters in the franchise. I wonder if it has to do with why she was added--clearly an attempt was being made to lighten the show, and to put in a character who was as unlike the others as possible--a sunny little country girl. And then they went wrong in casting, compounding the problem, though to be fair, Anna's bad acting didn't rear its head until mid-season (I don't think it started to grate on my nerves until "All Access").

CSI did an awesome job with the character of Riley Adams, and they got a great actress to play her. Let's hope NY will do the same with this new character.

10. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I really like Riley Adams. I think bringing in a new character might well be a good thing for NY, if they do it right and get the right actress.

11. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

^I think it could potentially be a good move, too, if they find the right actress and tweak the personality and role a bit more. Demographically, they are sort of missing a more youthful, exuberant female presence on the show, so I can see what might be driving this type of change. It is a gamble, though, to remove one or two existing characters, who have their own fans, and bring in someone new, who is an unknown entity.

And the character description does sound a little too good to be true, but hopefully they will refine it to get the balance right and end up with a character who, although not perfect, is still believable and likeable.

I keep going back to some of the previous descriptions of the finale -- something like a CSI's life will hang in the balance -- and wonder if whoever is injured will be comatose or incapacitated in such a way that would drastically limit their screentime. That could certainly lead to Mac bringing in someone new and would allow them to switch one of the regulars to a recurring or limited role if that is in fact what they are trying to do. On the other hand, that would be a bit too similar to what happened with Louie, so they might be reluctant to take that approach.

12. raymakay

raymakay Dead on Arrival

I've become addicted to spoilers. Kind of sad actually.

I really don't think they would kill Lindsey. To me killing Angel and then Lindsey would be, well, overkill (pun intended). Having both Flack and Danny mourning over their losses, leaving little Lucy motherless, I think it would all be a little too soap opera like - although the show is starting to get that way anyway.

I'm not an Anna Belknap fan. I wouldn't mind if she left the show or they cut back her appearances. In theory, the Lindsey character should of been a good addition to the cast but I find Anna's acting kind of limited and boring and since, as someone else pointed out, the character has been DL since the first episode she was in, Lindsey has never developed. Hopefully they get a good actress for this Kate part and she can add to the show's great cast.

Also, just because they are casting a female CSI doesn't mean it's a female who will possibly die in the aftermath of the shooting. Hawkes (god forbid) could parish - Hill Harper has a lot of other stuff going on. Also Adam - AJ is doing supernatural and X-men voice overs - so he's busy too. Or, Sid (who I would hate to see leave) could parish or be injured and Hawkes moves back to the ME position. There's a lot of possiblities. It'll be interesting to see what pans out.

13. Top41

That's a good point. Lindsay was supposed to be that, but aside from a few sparks midway through season two, she's been a mostly joyless drag on the show. And when they cut Lindsay's hair in season four, it aged her ten years and she hasn't really recovered, looks-wise. She looks like she's pushing 40 and has since that unfortunate haircut.

That's definitely true, and new characters almost always seem to have their detractors. I think a lot of it comes down to who they choose to play the role. The writing lifts the episodes and the storylines, but at the end of the day, whether or not a character is likable/appealing/interesting resides with the actor. I don't think Lindsay would have been such a big debacle had a warmer, more talented actress been chosen for the role. There have been moments I've liked her--"Stuck on You," "Cool Hunter," the pool table seduction of Danny in "Snow Day," but they've been outweighed by the moments I've found the character brittle, cold and manipulative.

Someone above said any of the characters on paper probably all sound too good to be true, and I agree with that. Again, it's the writing and acting that make them nuanced.

It's possible one of the regs won't be killed, but will be wounded or shaken by the experience so much that he/she chooses to leave his/her job at the lab. Lindsay could become a stay at home mom--she'd still be married to Danny, but she'd effectively be written off the show. Hawkes could have another career change, etc. There are options other than killing the character, but I think the addition of the new regular makes it highly likely that the lab will be down one person after episode 601.

ETA:

Yeah, that's the only thing that gives me hesitancy about Lindsay dying, too. It would kind of be overkill, even though it would be an interesting way to further bond Danny and Flack. But essentially it would be the same story, though I don't think they could have Danny go off seeking revenge the way Flack did--I think they'd have to have Danny break down, in true Danny fashion.

I'm glad they're adding another woman, too. It would be nice to have someone who could really have a great dynamic with Stella, as well, the way Aiden did. Stella and Lindsay never really bonded, and they've never come across as real friends on screen. So I'm excited about the addition of another woman to the cast, and I hope she'll be an interesting, cool character. And I really hope they get the casting right. :D

Yeah, I agree that the addition of the female CSI doesn't mean that a woman is dying. The regular cast is 8 people--only two are women. So if it went down to 3 women, 5 men, that would be a good balance. I'd hate to lose any of the guys though. Lindsay is the only one whose death would actually benefit the show.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  14. carminelove15

carminelove15 Rookie

Sorry Top but im going to have to disagree with that just because not here, but in other places Lindsay is a well loved character on the show and I think it would hurt the show alittle not as much as when Grissom left CSI, but would it would still hurt for a bit till people get the fact that she is not on the show anymore. I know that you and many people on here are not her fans, but im one of them along with a few on here and to me just me that was alittle rude I should say when you say if lindsay died " would accually benefit the show" kinda makes not mad just like Im a fan of her I understand that you are not a fan, but could you bring it in alittle im all for having your own opinion just saying that some of the things you say could hurt other people you know.

15. Top41

And fair enough--you are more than welcome to disagree with what I have to say. You can absolutely argue that you think Lindsay's death would be a detriment to the show and that she brings a lot to the show and that you think something major would be lost if Lindsay wasn't on the show.

But me thinking the show would benefit from Lindsay's death isn't rude. ;) Way harsh, maybe, but not rude. I guess I could elaborate on why I think that rather than just saying it though...basically, I think with the rush to marry Danny and Lindsay and give them a happy ending, they're both a little played out as characters. There's not really anywhere for them to go. If Lindsay died, though, Danny would have to grapple with being a single dad and juggling work and parenthood. The same would be true of Lindsay if Danny died, but I think Carmine is the better actor and could do more with the material. So that was my point when I said the show could benefit from Lindsay's death, storyline-wise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.