Could they just hook up Mac and Stella?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by SnowScorpio, May 31, 2009.

1. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

To everyone: Calling another group of posters 'haters' isn't helpful, so let's lay off that term please.

Also, please respect the opinions of everyone in this forum.

2. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

While I love Mac and Stella and the idea of them being together (their chemistry is so great, whether it be as friends or as potential couple material), I don't want it to happen, at least, not right now. To me, the perfect ending for the show for me would be them getting together at the end, if at all. We could see how they went from really good friends like they are and watch their relationship grow and develop. Mac/Stella scenes are always fun to see because of how well they work together, and I think if they got together now it would go stale pretty quickly after that. If it happened at the end of the series, I really couldn't disagree with it. :)

3. Meatball42

Meatball42 Police Officer

In this day and age, a show needs to have some aspect of comedy, drama, romance, horror, even soap to keep it afloat, to appeal to a wide variety of people and assure high viewership. Personally, I think that CSI: NY has done a great job keeping the show from becoming too much of a fiasco, although, obviously, some things (D/L) could be handled better. While I am a calm and collected SMacked shipper, I feel that such an approach ought to be subtle, and I can think of several shows off the top of my head better at subtlety than NY. The writers should wait until they have a perfect storyline before rolling out this ship.

4. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Alex--->
    But the difference i didn't call you a Smacked hater. I was just speaking in general. In that case i must respectfully disagree with Miss Blue. There are Non Smacked fans (actually i use that term very often) but there are also Smacked haters I don't think you are not in that second group.
    And because i was talking in general i won't apologize for nothing else

Regarding PerfectAnomaly--> i don't know what is going wrong but you seem to think all my comments are about you. And certainly i don't have time to make my comments "personal". I don't have broad band at home so i have only 15 minutes more or less to post anything. It's your decition if you believe it or not but posting in another language with people from other country is a world of difference. I can say it because i post in English and French. But the difference is nobody else thought i was being rude for making a bad choise of words. And i post since 1999. If you think i attack you in any way send me a PM or participate inside the Smaked Thread or the Stellarina Thread. I can only tell you I have a good communication with all kind of fans. Flannel fans, DL fans, Non Smacked fans and so on. I express my opinion, they know what i think, they express themselves and we still have a great communication

Miss Blue--->
    your post is the best example of a good debate. I understand your point. I respect it. Also i liked your words on Mac and Stella's relationship. Because you were fair enough to admit they look nice.
    It's true they can keep their relationship as it is. For me is nice too. But i also i am a firm believer when you get marry, you marry your best friend. It's the person who will know all your feelings, who will know you more than anybody else. Who will see your soul "naked". You don't have to pretend in front of your husband/wife! (I mean in a normal relationship)
    For me their relationship fits that idea. I wonder if Stella will allow herself to show in front of anybody else her vulnerability. The same she showed in front of Mac when Professor P. died
    They have shared an intimacy nobody else shared and when i say "intimacy" i mean in some spiritual way

5. Catu

Catu Police Officer

Debs, you rock!! I totally agree with you it wouldn`t bother me if they became a couple, on the contrary I would loved it, as long as the show and the stories don`t lose quality!!

6. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I wasn't asking for an apology. I was just making a statement. Perhaps it wasn't applicable to your statements, but I've been called a ship "hater" before, so I probably reacted viscerally. So I'm going to apologize, and end this.

I will admit that when I first started watching (second season finale) I at first considered Mac/Stella as a possible ship. However, when season three came around I became intrigued by Mac/Peyton, and didn't pay much mind to M/S through S3. By the time S4 came around I valued them as friends, not lovers, so I never again really considered the possibility of M/S. Now that we're heading into S6, I see them even less as a couple, because I believe that it could ruin the close friendship. Plus, I feel as though it would ruin the dynamic they have as the leaders of the team. They benefit from the way they can question each other, and while I'm not saying that that would change if they got together, it would definitely be different. And I like the way it is now.

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I never said your comments are directed only at me. Your comments are directed to a group of people who feel a certain way and I am part of that group. I can only speak for myself when I respond, and if you interpret that as me thinking your posts are all about me there's nothing I can do about that.

I'm also aware that it can be very difficult to communicate in a language other than your native language. But when a pattern develops as to how a certain group of fans are addressed I start to believe there's more going on than just miscommunication and misunderstanding.

8. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I hope that they don't put Mac and Stella in a romantic relationship. I see a lot of love and respect in their relationship but no romantic chemistry whatsoever and neither of them are a quick hook-up for casual sex sort of person so, for me, it wouldn't work in any way.

In the first season I saw Stella as a safe place for Mac after he lost Claire. Someone he could joke around with and be himself with and not be looked at in pity or as a potential mate. He seemed so lost and alone that he needed Stella in that role.

Then she was the sister that encouraged him to get out and meet someone, even taking his tie off and loosening his collar. She was there for him when Peyton didn't come back, again as a sister that loved him like family and supported him. He treated her the same way when she killed Frankie and again when her apartment burned. He offered to pay for her lodging and even offered her his extra room. That is what family does.

Stella has never appeared to be attracted to him, and has always looked outside the department for romance. Mac doesn't seem to be attracted to her, and as many times as she has hugged him, he seemed uncomfortable and sort of just stands there. He is amused by her and she infuriates him occasionally, but I don't see attraction or sexual chemistry. I see deep and abiding friendship, purely platonic. I value those kinds of relationships and had that kind of dynamic with a supervisor one time and will always cherish it as something unique and beyond compare.

It would be a shame for the writers to take that and warp it into something romantic because the temptation to play with the love aspect is just too strong.

9. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Catu, dear
    and ITA with that! I don't want the show loose quality either. I think it's possible to find a way to give a chance to our ship and at the same time make it so subtle to avoid make angry to non Smacked fans
    Melina and Gary's characters deserve respect and love with a good writing :) Hopefully someday we will be able to see our fav couple together!

Alex--->
    Fair enough :) I understand very well what you are saying because i remember the Smacked Thread was a reflection of the general fandom back ther in S3. The Smacked Thread was at the second page!!!! There was a certain air of pessimism because many people liked MPac ship.
    And it's curious because my hopes of them as a couple became stronger after the dear John letter in 4.04. I do see them together as a couple more now than then. I feel it was recovered the same type of relationship they had in S1

Certainly i do understand fears. Their relationship is so beautiful now and not even Smacked fans want it to change...much. Because they already have a couple dynamic. The only difference is they don't have a psysical relationship. But i trust their relationship will be handle very slowly just to make the change gradual and natural. Right now it's too fresh certain memories about another storyline and we need time to get over those just to have my ship strongly under the spotlight (I trust Melina will be there in S7)

PA--->
    certainly there is not such a thing as a pattern behind my words. I write, i make mistakes and when i can i edit messages but only in a very lucky day. I don't have time to do anything else these days (I have started my training at the hospital again) i am studying two differents things so you can bet i am closer to a "Burn out" syndrome than to a "Battle" in some forum. I don't know why you feel in that way. I only post in the Smacked, Stellarina and Mac Thread and time to time in other places but it i don't have any group as a target. Actually, in the past i gave some "lashes" towards DL fandom and storyline but it's over now (there is nothing i can do to change what it was done so for me it's an old story)
    As i told you before, you are invited to send me a PM or to participate inside teh Smacked Thread. We have non shippers there and they can tell you i don't try to convince people and they are very welcome and very missed when they are away (Sophia , i am talking about you! :) )

10. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I respect anyone willing to engage in discussion. Especially in a language other than one's mothertongue. :bolian: I've lived and worked in a language other than my first, and know it's not easy to say what ya want all the time.

-

I refrained from commenting the first time this phrasing came up.

Speaking specifically on the general subject, all I'm gonna say is that I don't hate Smacked. I don't hate the ship. I do have a speculative point of view about how pairing Mac and Stella in canon might impact the show. My focus here is the show, not the ship. I do think that distinction is present, and important.

And I won't ever mind talking with anyone on a topic who has a different opinion on matters than I do. (I'd rather, though, that none of us, no matter the opinions, was labelled as anything other than simply a participant for the willngness and effort :p).

I agree with a lot of what you say here. For me though, I think I really saw their friendship as unique from season one, and I suppose I have regarded it as worth too much to risk tampering with, for lack of better phrasing, ever since.

:lol: it's hard to keep up in here now. (I kept getting distracted with Jon Stewart on in the background, oop, now Colbert :p)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  11. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

One of my reasons for hoping Mac and Stella get together much further down the line is the fact that so far she seems to be the best match for him. Not one woman they have stuck him with so far comes across as remotely suitable for him. Mac needs someone to shake him up someone to stand up to him someone his equal. As does Stella.

Peyton came close until they removed her backbone "you do adore me don't you." *shudder*.

He doesn't need a simpering whining needy female that is a damsel in distress.

They never really pursued the flirting Jane did in season 1 so I don't really have a strong opinion on her one way or another.

Rose was a definite no no, she so fits the damsel in distress profile.

The next woman interested was Polly Partem the roller derby cop, Now I would have loved to see her turn up again, not for the romantic point of view but I love how she made Mac blush, so from the comedy POV. I wouldn't mind seeing her again. :lol: Flack would get so much mileage out of teasing Mac.:guffaw:

Then Peyton showed up...now I am not a massive fan of this pairing, I liked her to a point, then she became annoying and started slipping into the whining simpering femail mode...it was a shame cause she had potential, the writers just pulled the rug out when they removed her backbone. I think the rot set in from Silent Night onwards..

Next we had Jordan....atypical damsel in distress with a side order of stalker (remember the Taxi storyline, who isi Reed to Mac and why don't I know about him. Yay for Stella putting her in her place...)

Then we had Quinn, now I liked her because she wasn't damsel in distress material, she was a strong character like Stella, as to if I would have liked a romance between her and Mac I don't know, but she was a better bet than the others they have come up with lately, but after the Taxi storyline we didnt see her again. Ella was never a romantic consideration, except for needing someone that cared about her.

Then we had Inspector Whitford. Again another step in the right direction. Good points - strong female, Mac's boss, so could have been a very interesting dynamic, a step in the right direction away from simpering females...but I think with budget cuts I don't see the actress being back next season.

With all these females the perfect match to me is still Stella. But thats just my take on it.

And as for Stella OMG the psychos they have stuck her with!!:eek: Frankie, Drew!! She needs a nice strong Marine..:) The only decent guy they have given her is Brandon, but he is a bit bland, and comes across as if the writers consider him as a token boyfriend to fit into the storyline.

Dont get me wrong if they came across with DECENT partners for them both then I would be pleased. As long as we still got the close bond they share as friends. But I would be delighted if they did a Mulder/Scully with them in the final season and got them together.

Saying all that I have a comment here. I would just be delighted if they improved the writing and gave us some decent character storylines that didn't involve romance. Because I really think they should play down the romance and happy families for a while. I don't mind hints/subtle moments things like that but I think after season 5 they need to take a break.

Reading back on this I have noticed things getting a little defensive around here. We are always going to get people that have strong opinions one way or another about a possible pairing or character. People tend to be defensive/protective of their favorites. I am the same when it comes to Mac in particular, but also Stella and Flack. But not everyone will agree with our points of view on the subject, no matter how much we try.. If we cant agree to disagree then possibly its time to step back. Take a deep breath and let it go..:) Things got very heated when D/L debate started and I would hate for the same thing to happen here.

After all its only a show....err did I just say that....scratch that....its not JUST a show..and Mac is mine...:p:p:p:p

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Ghawazee, when a mod asks you to stay away from a term like the word "haters," it is generally a good idea to do so. Maybe use the word "opponents," which carries a similar meaning without the same hostile connotations?

This is probably closest in line to how I feel about Mac and Stella. Do they have chemistry? Sure, loads. But it's never seemed romantic to me. I don't not want Mac and Stella to pair up because there are too many couples or because the Danny/Lindsay pairing has been a debacle; I don't want to see them together simply because I don't think they have that sort of rapport. It wouldn't be completely lacking chemistry, like Danny and Lindsay do, but I don't think Mac and Stella really generate any heat together, any romantic fire.

CSI shows don't do romance especially well. Procedurals generally don't. When I'm watching, say, Grey's Anatomy, things that are said/done between Meredith and Derek or Alex and Izzie will actually make me smile, or occasionally cry. That show does romance really well for the most part, but then, that's it's purpose because it's a soaper. I got swept into it when Grissom went to Sara in Costa Rica and smiled when Eric and Calleigh finally got together, and yes, Flack and Angell were hot, but by and large, CSI shows don't generally do romance especially well because they don't devote enough time to it. It's not the purpose of the shows. Putting chemistry and actress concerns aside, Danny and Lindsay could have been a cute pairing at some point, but right now? It feels like Danny married Lindsay because of the baby. Lindsay's own motivations feel murky at best because she's under-developed but if you go back to what she said in season four, I guess you can assume she married Danny because she loves him. It's hardly a healthy or happy relationship, but it's been smoothed over to the point that we're supposed to buy that it is--because whatever needed to happen between them happened off screen, because crime dramas don't devote a lot of time to this stuff.

I'm digressing quite a bit. :p I definitely agree with Fruitbat in that Mac and Stella have never really had especially great love interests. I liked Peyton and thought Quinn had loads of romantic chemistry with Mac, but Stella has been stuck with losers/stalkers/random hunks. They certainly have never done Stella any justice in the romantic department, and from that point of view, I can definitely see why Mac would be an appealing choice. I just don't see the romantic chemistry there. I absolutely think Mac and Stella love each other, but as friends--very close, dear friends, but not really on the romantic level. And for the sake of the show, I don't really want to see the writers try to go there with them, because I don't think it would turn out well. They work great as friends, something the franchise does do really well--think Danny and Flack or Nick and Greg or Delko and Speed...friendships done so well that some people want to see them turned romantic, despite the relentlessly heterosexual bent of the CSI shows.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i think CSI Cupcake said it perfectly - that's exactly how i see mac and stella too, just really good friends with an almost familial connection.

and i totally agree with Fruitbat about the other women - i think quinn was the best bet really, especially as it was clear there was history there. i liked that she seemed to know mac really well - almost as well as stella - and was able to joke with him and be totally on his level, rather than a needy female. actually i thought she was very similar to stella - at a similar level of profession, similar jokey but tough exterior and so on. the fact they both went for the same job suggests that they are equal in many ways - sure he got the job but there was the impression that it was a close thing and she ended up doing pretty well herself. i don't really want stella and mac to hook up but for me him and quinn would've worked really well on a very similar level.

i always liked peyton (probably because she's a londoner!) and i thought they worked well together but i totally agree that she became a simpering needy woman towards the end, that was a real shame, i liked when she stood up to him (like over the hawkes thing).

i agree about stella's men too, they've all been nasty or inconsequential, they need to give both characters someone strong enough to be their equal. i guess a lot of people would say they are the only ones that fit that category and therefore should hook up, but i'd rather see them carry on as friends - they have such a great thing going it would be a shame to ruin it.

i've never wanted those bromances to go further but i really do think they need to get some more gay central characters - how can you have a department in the middle of one of the most vibrant cities in the US (and that could go for any of the franchise) and every single person be straight? it doesn't add up! [/digression]

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I actually liked Jane from S1 for Mac the best of all the female characters he has been on screen with. Or maybe I should say I liked the way Mac was when he was around her. I usually don't refer to S1 because it was so different and we lost all the support characters between S1 and S2, but Jane affected Mac. I think he could have been attracted to her but then she disappeared and we never saw her again.

I struggled with Peyton, because I don't think she ever understood who he was inside. She tried really hard to change him and he tried hard to accomodate her efforts, but it just didn't work for me. I lost all hope in Snow Day when she would not get off the phone and ended up being the catalyst for the lab blowing up. Then her running and leaping into his arms...well, we won't go there.

As for Stella, I think Horatio Cainie has a thing for Stella but since they work on two different shows that wouldn't be possible. All of her fellas seem to be such rotten eggs. I don't know...maybe they need to bring in a female interest for her and see how that works.

15. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

CSI Cupcake, which Jane? I can't remember her...:confused: The only significant female from s1 relationship-wise I can remember was called Rose, I think. I mean the one from "What you see is what you see". Kinda liked her for Mac, but she appeared only in that episode.

I didn't really see the chemistry between Stella and Horatio, maybe because I've always despised Horatio and I was paying more attention to the... way... he speaks. Anyway, he's in Miami and if there's another CSI/Miami crossover, I hope they don't sleep together.

I ship Smacked, that's no secret, but I understand each and every reason the rest of people express against it. Having Mac and Stella officially together may unbalance the show making it too romance-driven. Cases might lose importance and we must not forget this is a procedural show. All personal stuff should always come second, after the whodunit. Also, there is always the risk that their relationship becomes something like D/L. Mac and Stella have nothing to do with Danny and Lindsay, they're very well defined right now and I don't think it's likely, but it would be risky. This is no soap opera and adding more cheese to the mixture may only kill the show.

All in all, I'm torn here. I like the idea of the two of them together, I want them to be together, but I admit it may be too much and too risky. Turn them into a couple of sappy fluffy bunnies and a great part of the fanbase will grab their remote control and choose another series.