CSI: Hogwarts (CSI: Miami/Harry Potter Crossover Fic)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by rissarose, Apr 20, 2009.

1. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

Title: CSI: Hogwarts
    Author: rissarose
    Disclaimer: If I owned CSI: Miami, viewers would still remember who Natalia Boa Vista and Frank Tripp are. And if I owned the Harry Potter series, I'd have my apartment in Manhattan by now.
    Genre: Fantasy/Crime
    Rating: T
    Synopsis: When a student is murdered at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, it's up to a group of friends to give her justice.
    Characters: Calleigh Duquesne and Natalia Boa Vista
    Warnings: Character death (not graphic) much later on.
    Author's Note #1: I realize that I only have Calleigh and Natalia listed as characters, but I assure you that there will be a lot of CSI: Miami and Harry Potter characters making numerous appearances throughout this fic.
    Author's Note #2: Just a heads up that this story takes place in 1984. (I put the CSIs around thirty-five today, so after doing the math, they were eleven sometime in 1984. ...Just humor me, okay?)

CSI: Hogwarts
    Chapter One: "Dear Miss Duquesne"

It was a clear, sunny day when Calleigh Duquesne's Hogwarts acceptance letter came. The sun's rays had nothing on the eleven-year-old's bright smile upon having the envelope dropped into her lap by a large, brown barn owl. The emerald green ink on the envelope glistened for a second as it caught the sunlight before Calleigh turned the envelope over to find a wax seal with the Hogwarts emblem stamped into it on the back. After a quick gasp at the realization of what the envelope contained, she leapt up and sprinted toward her house.

"Mum! I got it!" the small girl exclaimed as she burst into the house and ran straight for the kitchen, where her mother was busy making lunch for the two of them. Calleigh's father, Kenwall Duquesne, was working at the Ministry of Magic, the local wizarding government, and wouldn't be home for another few hours.

Elizabeth Duquesne abandoned what she was doing to turn around and give her full attention to her daughter. "You did?" she asked, genuinely excited for her little girl. Calleigh had been waiting for the letter for over a week now and for every day it hadn't come, the girl had gotten more worried that perhaps she wasn't going to be accepted to the school. Elizabeth, however, wasn't the least bit worried - not only had her and Kenwall been students at Hogwarts, but Calleigh had shown a considerable amount of magical talent over the last few years. There was no doubt about it that she would be invited to learn at one of the most well-respected wizarding schools in all of Europe.

Without saying a word, Calleigh eagerly opened the envelope, inside of which were two pieces of parchment. She pulled out the first one and began to read aloud:

"Dear Miss Duquesne... We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!"

There was more written on the letter, but the blonde was too excited to focus on it. Her green eyes scanned over the words, all saying something about when the school needed an RSVP by, what was on the second sheet of parchment, etc. Once she reached the bottom of the first page - "Yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress" - Calleigh placed it down on the table and took a look at the other one. After a moment of silence, Calleigh gasped.

"First years aren't allowed broomsticks?!"

Green eyes left the parchment to focus on Elizabeth. "Mum! That's not fair!" One of Calleigh's favorite hobbies was flying around the backyard on her Nimbus 1000 with her best friend -

"Natalia!"

Calleigh left the side of the table to greet her best friend, Natalia Boa Vista, who had just burst into the kitchen wearing a smile almost as wide as Calleigh's. The Boa Vistas had moved in across the street from the Duquesnes when the girls were two, and they've been inseparable ever since.

"I got mine!" Calleigh exclaimed as she threw her arms around Natalia. "Did you get yours?"

Natalia laughed as her best friend hugged her. While she was extremely excited to have finally gotten her letter, Calleigh had been much more invested in getting her acceptance letter. "Yeah, I did!" The two girls stepped back from each other and Natalia waved her letter, just as she noticed Elizabeth. "Hello Mrs. Duquesne!"

Elizabeth smiled. "Hello, Natalia. Congratulations."

"Thank you!"

Calleigh tapped Natalia on the shoulder. "Hey, did you see that we're not allowed broomsticks?"

Natalia's face fell at hearing Calleigh mention it. "Yeah," she said, her voice filled with disappointment. "I think it's stupid."

"You girls will be fine," Elizabeth said as she turned around and resumed preparing sandwiches. "You two will be way too busy to even worry about your brooms. There are tons of other things to do at Hogwarts."

"But mum-"

"-But," Elizabeth interrupted, turning around again to face the girls, "all first years do get a few flying lessons." At this, the girls faces brightened, if only slightly.

"I was just making sandwiches, Natalia. Would you like to stay and have lunch with us?"

Calleigh perked up at this offer and turned to Natalia, who frowned. "I can't," she said. "Mum has to do some errands and I need to look after Christine until she comes back." Christine was Natalia's five-year-old sister currently battling a nasty case of the flu.

"Aww," Calleigh said, bummed that Natalia couldn't stay. "Well... maybe some other time."

Natalia nodded. "Yeah... sorry."

"Did your mother say anything about when she wanted to go to Diagon Alley, Natalia?" Diagon Alley was the best place for wizards to go for all of their magical needs, especially students going off to Hogwarts.

There was a brief pause, then Natalia shook her head. "No, I don't think so."

"Alright... Why don't you ask her how next Wednesday sounds?"

"Okay, I will," the young brunette said, smiling. She then turned to Calleigh and the girls shared one more embrace before Natalia left to go put up with snot and vomit.

Author's Note #3: Alrighty, there's chapter one! I hope you enjoyed it. Stay tuned for chapter two coming soon!

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I'm so glad you finally started writing this!! I remember you mentioning it like a year ago. :p
    Great start, I'm enjoying it. I'm having a hard time visualizing Calleigh & Natalia 11 years old ....& Calleigh saying 'Mum' :lol: but I like it. Can't wait to keep reading.

:)

3. Fiorella

Fiorella Hit and Run

I´m also having a hard time visualizing them so young, but like it too, and I´m waiting to read more.

4. lostladyknight

lostladyknight Pathologist

I love it! I've always been a huge sucker for CSI/HP crossovers. For some reason they make me immensely happy. Nobody has ever finished one though! Please don't let that happen with this one. It's so awesome already, you have me hooked!

5. Fiorella

Fiorella Hit and Run

I agree. Please keep on working in this fiction, don´t leave it endless.
    The start was too good.

6. Fiorella

Fiorella Hit and Run

May be I´m wrong, but seems like you have letf this fic endless. It´s a pity, the start was very good.

7. MacsLilDevil

MacsLilDevil Police Officer

Great job so far. Please continue. I hope you add Mac and Horatio to this story as well

8. CSIChick

CSIChick Dead on Arrival

Cool- it's my two favey-o things ever ... Hogwarts & CSI!

9. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

wow i've never had any thoght about crossover like this :)
    anyway, great job, keep writing :)

10. lal

lal Pathologist

just read this story and thought it was very good :thumbsup: can't wait for chapter 2

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  11. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Wow, this is actually pretty awesome. I'm a huge Harry Potter fan, so that's one of the things that attracted me to this story. Anyway, please keep going. It's quite good.

12. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

Author's Note: Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry! Real life has kept me insanely busy lately, but I finally have some free time to get up the next chapter. Thank you to everyone for your feedback. Enjoy!

CSI: Hogwarts
    Chapter Two: Three Up, Two Across

One very long week had passed since Calleigh and Natalia first received their acceptance letters. But despite the longevity of the week, their excitement didn't fade one bit. In fact, the girls spent the entire week waiting, rather impatiently, to get their supplies at Diagon Alley, one of the most popular shopping destinations in all the Wizarding World. The wait was the sole responsibility of their mothers, who were unable to find a date on which they both were free. In the end, Natalia's mother had insisted that she would be fine taking the girls herself.

So it was a little over a week after the girls' letters had come that they now walked down Charing Cross Road toward The Leaky Cauldron. In addition to providing lodging for wizards and other magical beings, The Leaky Cauldron was also the main entrance to Diagon Alley.

"Here we are," Maria Boa Vista announced as she pointed to a very old, shabby building. It was a small thing, wedged between a bookstore and a record store. Had the girls not know of it beforehand, they probably would've been hesitant to enter something that looked so uninviting, with its dreary, dark green color and windows that really didn't exist, since they had been covered up ages ago.

Calleigh and Natalia let their excitement get the best of them as they raced to the door, opened it, and immediately entered the inn. Maria did nothing but shake her head at their enthusiasm and follow them in, tugging along her younger daughter Christine, who was eyeing the building suspiciously.

Once inside, the group of four found themselves in the bar of the inn, which was relatively full, from what they could make out. It was very dark inside, the only light source coming from a select few candles that hung in midair. A soft buzzing filled the air from all different conversations people were taking part in, but one voice stood out: "Miss Duquesne! How wonderful to see you again!" It was the bartender, who only knew Calleigh because her father was a regular... a rather rich regular who was careless with his money when it came to drinking.

Not wanting to be rude, Calleigh curled up her lips into the tiniest of smiles. "Hello." She had only met the bartender once before and had no recollection of his name.

"Come on, girls. Let's keep moving," Maria piped up. "Keep walking to the back. Straight ahead."

Natalia rolled her eyes. "We know, mum. We've been here before."

"Alright," the older woman said. "Then keep moving."

And they did, all the way to the very back of The Leaky Cauldron. They left the inn and entered a small courtyard, empty except for a trashcan that was placed directly in front of the back brick wall. They all approached that wall as Maria brandished her wand and began counting the bricks silently.

"Two up and three across, isn't it?" Calleigh asked, studying the wall, her green eyes moving across the bricks as she counted. She had gone through this way once before, but that had been quite a few years ago.

Maria shook her head. "Close," she said, as she moved her wand up and over a few bricks. "Three up and two across." When she reached the correct brick, she tapped it three times and then stood back as the entire wall came to life and slowly made itself into a rather large archway, allowing the four of them to enter Diagon Alley.

The long and winding cobblestone street was rather busy, with various wizards making their way fro shop to shop, stopping to say hello to a acquaintaince or to look at displays in the shops' windows. There was cheerfulness in the air, something that was only just coming back after one long decade of horror. The evil wizard Lord Voldemort had reigned for all of the 1970s, terrifying the wizarding world. His downfall had happened only three years ago, when he had tried to kill one-year-old Harry Potter, not known as 'The Boy Who Lived'. When Voldemort had gone to use the killing curse on Harry, it had backfired and instead destroyed Voldemort.

Besides the births of Natalia and Christine, that had been the happiest day of Maria Boa Vista's life.

"Mum, could we get our wands first? Please?"

Maria looked down at her daughter, whose chocolate eyes gleamed with an incredible amount of excitement. The one thing she had wanted more than her Hogwarts acceptance letter was her very own wand, and now the day had finally come.

“Alright,” Maria said. Since Ollivander’s was toward the back of Diagon Alley, they could start there and work their way forward.

After a short walk down the street, interrupted only when Christine caught sight of Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlour, the group had reached their destination. The shop was rather empty in terms of people and objects, with only Mr. Ollivander returning wands down one of the aisles and a single chair sitting up at the front of the shop. There was also a desk, upon which appeared to have been a glass vase at one point, but was now nothing more than broken shards.

“Good afternoon,” Mr. Ollivander said softly as he approached the group. Looking at Calleigh and Natalia, he smiled. “Here to get your wands for Hogwarts, I presume?” When the two girls both nodded, he picked up a tape measure and chuckled. “Well, let’s get started then. Who’s first?”
    Calleigh had stepped up and Mr. Ollivander immediately began asking her several questions while the bewitched tape measure went to work, measuring her arms, legs, neck, feet, and various other parts of her body. After a couple minutes, he excused himself and went down one of the aisles. When he returned, he had a single box with him.

As he placed the long, thin box down on his desk, he spoke, “Let’s try this one, shall we?” Taking off the lid, he revealed a wand that looked to be close to ten inches in size. “Elm, phoenix feather, nine-and-a-half inches. Springy.” He took it out of the box and handed it over to Calleigh. She took it hesitantly and immediately felt a surge of power run through her.

“Go on, give it a wave!”

Bringing the wand up to eye level, Calleigh quickly waved it from left to right and out of the end came four small, blue birds. They flew up, twittering, toward the ceiling and faded just as they reached it.

Mr. Ollivander clapped his hands. “Oh, very good, very good! I believe you have your wand, miss!”

Calleigh smiled.

It had taken a little longer for Natalia to get her wand. She had gone through three before waving a ten inch wand made of fig and a phoenix feather, out of which came roses, which also faded, just as Calleigh’s birds had, when they fell to the floor.

Next up was Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions. Across from the shop was the Ice Cream Parlour, which little Christine was desperate to go to. After begging and tugging on her mother’s arm for several minutes, Maria finally gave in to her little girl’s demands. Once Calleigh and Natalia assured her that they would be okay on their own for a little bit, Maria let them enter the robe shop alone.

This was another empty shop with only a small, chubby woman behind the counter. As the two friends entered, she jumped up and came out to greet them. “Good afternoon, girls!” she said cheerfully. “In need of some robes for Hogwarts, too? I’ve had kids coming in for the last two weeks… I’m almost out of stock!” The woman, who they assumed to be Madam Malkin, chuckled. “Never mind that, though… Come, follow me.”

Calleigh and Natalia hadn’t even said one word before they were ushered to the back of the store where several footstools stood in front of a wall of mirrors. “Go ahead girls, get on up.” Madam Malkin gestured to the footstools and then wandered into the back room while the girls obediently stepped up onto neighboring platforms.

“Satisfied with your wand?” Calleigh was watching Natalia, who was looking at herself in the mirror.

After a moment or so, Natalia nodded. “Yeah, for the most part.” She angled her body as her eyes continued to search it. “Would have been nice to have a unicorn hair, though. They’re so pretty, unicorns.”

Suddenly, an unfamiliar voice sounded. “Unicorns? I don’t know, Speed… I’m pretty partial to the Grindylow myself.”

Both girls jumped and spun around so fast that they nearly fell off of their footstools. Leaning up against the mirror closest to the front of the store was a handsome Latino boy who looked to be around eleven-years-old. Next to him was a boy about the same age, with messy brown hair and his hands shoved into his pockets. He shook his head.

“No way… Ghouls are much prettier.”

Calleigh frowned. Clearly they were mocking Natalia, and she didn’t like it. Putting her hands on her hips, she spoke out with a strong, confident voice, “I’m sorry, but I don’t believe you were part of this conversation.”

The first boy laughed. “Well excuse us, blondie,” he started, then paused to smile at the use of the nickname he created for the sole purpose of teasing her. “We can’t give our opinion?”

“No,” Natalia said, her voice just as firm as Calleigh’s had been.

Again, the Latino boy chuckled. “Alright, that’s fine.”

At that moment, Madam Malkin re-entered with another woman, both carrying one robe each. “Really are depleting my stock, you Hogwarts kids,” she mumbled, shaking her head. As she marched up to Natalia, she opened up the robe in her hand, which turned out to be rather large. The other woman who had also come out of the back room did the same. “Arms up, dear,” Madam Malkin instructed Natalia, and then caught sight of the two boys. “More Hogwarts?” she sounded exhausted.

“Yes, ma’am,” the second boy said, his voice low and lazy. Malkin sighed and shook her head, then slipped the robe over Natalia’s head and soon began to pin, as did the other woman working on Calleigh.

The first boy stood up straight. “So,” he started, addressing the two girls, “you two are going to Hogwarts, as well? I’m Eric.”

The other boy raised his hand. “I’m Tim, but people usually just call me Speed or Speedle.”

“Hi,” said the two girls, their tones slightly resentful. The last thing they wanted to do was talk to two boys who had just given them a hard time. So what if they were also going to Hogwarts? The school was big… it’s not like they were going to see each other every day or anything.
    But still… the polite thing to do would be to introduce themselves. And Calleigh, having been brought up to be polite, spoke.

“I’m Calleigh.” Natalia, who clearly hadn’t forgiven them yet, shot her an angry look, but she continued. “Just Calleigh. No nicknames,” she added, focusing her attention on Eric, who smiled. She then looked back at Natalia, who was still looking at her with a scowl on her face. Calleigh’s only reaction was to raise her eyebrows at her friend and make a rolling motion with her hands as if to say, “C’mon, your turn.”

Reluctantly, Natalia looked away from Calleigh and turned to face the boys. “I’m Natalia,” she said.

Eric nodded. “Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, too.”

An awkward silence soon fell over the room, which was eventually broken up by Madam Malkin humming. Natalia was watching her intently, while Calleigh was watching the boys through the mirror. Eric was rummaging through a bag he held in his hand, which both boys were extremely engrossed in. This caught Calleigh’s interest and she continued to watch them as they fiddled with something that Eric never pulled out of the bag. Calleigh’s concentration was only interrupted when she felt a sharp, stabbing pain in her hip.

She sucked in air. “Ouch!”

“Sorry, miss,” the woman said, pulling back. “I’m almost finished… are you alright?”

“Yes,” Calleigh answered the woman, looking down at her. “I’m fine.”

After that, the six stood in silence for about another two minutes before Madam Malkin spoke up. “Alright, dearie,” she said, standing up seconds before the other woman. “You’re all finished. You can get out of this and I can go wrap it up for you.”

“Do you have any wrapping paper with unicorns on it?” Eric asked Madam Malkin. “Because I've just learned that Natalia here loves unicorns.” The smile on his face couldn't have been any wider.

Madam Malkin frowned and shook her head, then turned to Natalia. “I’m sorry, dear. No unicorn wrapping paper.” And with that, she made her way to the front of the store with the other woman to duplicate the girls’ robes and package them each with a plain pointed hat, protective gloves, and a winter cloak. Calleigh and Natalia were also quick to follow the two women, as they wanted to get away from the boys as soon as possible. Speed’s monotone voice called after them: “Nice meeting you.”

Eric chimed in, “See you at Hogwarts!”

The girls rolled their eyes and kept walking.

13. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Aww c'mon Calleigh it's not a hard name to remember. TOM! :lol:

Really cute. I love the interaction with Eric and Speedle. Can't wait for more.

14. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Thanks for updating Riss -- reallly good chapter. I'm imagining the girls are so cute at the age of 11, especially stubborn little Natalia :lol: this is alot of fun to read -- nice touch with adding Eric & Speed to the mix also.

15. lal

lal Pathologist

hi i really enjoy it , i thought it was cute , i can just imagine Eric and Speed messing about in Snape Class :lol: