Grade Season Five

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 15, 2009.

?

How would you grade CSI: NY Season Five?

1. A+

19 vote(s)
    18.1%
  2. A

18 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. A-

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. B+

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. B

12 vote(s)
    11.4%
  6. B-

9 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. C+

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  8. C

6 vote(s)
    5.7%
  9. C-

5 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. D+

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. sucker4-SMacked

sucker4-SMacked Prime Suspect

i have a very different veiw i voted for an A the show still gets better every season, but i LOVE season FOUR alot better for some reason

2. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

I went with a C- purely based upon the fact that where I found myself bored out my mind for most of the episodes. The stunt casting wasn't too bad. Leading the way was Nelly, who was money in every episode he was in. I expected Ed Asner to be good, but he was down right chilling. Everyone else was all right.

Along with the the guest stars, they had some pretty good character development for a few of the stars. It was great for Eddie Cahill because Flack was important to just about every episode. Pity they didn't show his sister triumph over her problems, but since Louie is... Where they hell is he anyway? Flack and Angell was hot, while it lasted.

Mac is always Mac to me. I did find myself annoyed with him this season, but I'm almost always annoyed with him. So nothing changed with him.

I'm not even going to touch the DL stuff because I think I've covered my bases with how much I loathe it. The attempts to make them 'act' married in the last two episodes were weird. Not romantic. Not affectionate. Not even cute. Just weird.

c-

3. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i'm a D/L fan and i have to agree with you on that end. it felt weird to me, very forced.

anyway....

i gave the season a C+. except for like 6 the episodes were very boring. this whole season was a HUGE improvement over last year but the cases were boring. the team moments were fantastic, they usually saved an ep.

the team and personal moments were (imo) the best. yeah there was some angst and drama among them but the good moments showed they do care for one another and that they are like a family.

i wasn't thrilled with Mac too much this season. he was so self-righteous and vengefull it was just a pain to watch him most of the time. i got so mad when he got angry with Stella for not backing off the Greek coin case b/c he does the same thing.

the Greek coin case..... didn't like it during the year but as one of the few that liked "Grounds for Deception" it ended well.

i get mad with so many Mac and Stella stories, yeah i know they're the main characters but sometimes too much is never a good thing. i just don't like the stories TPTB come up for them, if the cases/stories were good i wouldn't mind.

Angell being killed off really dragged my grade for the season down. Angell was an awesome character i have adored her since "People With Money" i was devestated when i heard she was getting killed off. there was a lot of potential to make her a great full cast member. she and Flack were fantastic together, so much potential there as well. i hated how the writers pulled what i call a "Kate and Tony" from NCIS: they were having Kate and Tony get close through out the season especially towards the end and then they killed her. unfair in every way killing Angell off.

Eddie Cahill was awesome this season. i am so happy the writers gave Flack some literal and figurative love this year. Eddie was amazing in "Pay Up" he made the ep.

so all in all the season was just boring but a big improvement over last season. i hope the writers can continue what they started this season into next season.

4. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

This season was good but not as good as the previous season. I liked the Danny/Lindsay/baby storyline but I felt it kind of dominated the second half of the show and the other characters were kind of left out.

The storylines weren't as gripping apart from a few but as a whole I think season 5 could have had room for more improvement than season 4. I hope the next season is better thought out with better storylines, character development and the overall feeling of the show.

I gave this season a C+

5. CSIinator

CSIinator Victim

I gave it an A. Some good moments and action but then there were the not so good moments.

6. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

I gave it an A+ cause I really enjoyed the season. It hasn't bored me like the other two shows. Miami's gotten dull & I quit watching after Will Petersen left the show. So for NY to hold my interest it deserved an A+.

7. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

Were there no effort to expend, there are maybe three episodes I can think of that I would probably sit thru again because I remember them as being good, and maybe two, perhaps three others because I'd be curious enough to see if they're as good as I thought they were at the time. Together that might be an okay batting average, but not for a season of television viewing.

C- on a downward slope for a season that started with promise, hit a DL wall, fell into a grinding mediocrity, coyly teased with a few really good intermittent eps and dabbled with scattered, shining character moments, and ended with a very bittersweet finale, which is also the only thing that's sparked a curiosity for S6.

8. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Grade = C+

Overall, I thought there were only a handful of strong episodes and a few very weak episodes over the course of the season. The rest were clustered around the middle, with perhaps a few more above than below average -- hence, my grade.

Not many standout, memorable cases and character development was hit or miss. Flack and Adam had some good development, and Hawkes was more visible, although I think there were some missed opportunities with his storylines. Mac's development was inconsistent and uneven, and Stella's big storyline floundered at the end.

The handling of the D/L storyline was a disappointment. I went from being relatively indifferent to this relationship to being a non-fan, especially when they started dragging other characters like Mac in to "validate" the relationship.

So overall, an average type of season -- not surprising given the mid-life of the series. It ended on a strong note, though, which helps peak my interest for what season six will bring.

9. Half

Half CSI Level Two

B-. It was a heck of a lot better than some of the CSI episodes; I enjoyed the F/A moments; the finale was good. There were a few episodes that I really liked, but I'm not a D/L fan so there were plenty of things to bring the grade down.

That would've made it a "B", but they didn't pay off Angell's involvement in the Greek case, so that dropped my grade down.

10. Cyn-B-Demented

Cyn-B-Demented Police Officer

I gave the season a D for the same reasons mentioned by cSiNyFrEaK30!

» Way TOO many D/L. I understand why the writers wanted to focus on their story line, but it was just done pathetically and poorly. And almost in a hurry. Why they fell in the clichés, it's beyond me. I remember reading in TV Guide that D/L were "unlike any couple" and they don't do things the usual way (about the wedding)... or something around those lines... I guess it would have been exciting to see the couple if they had 1) chemistry, dynamic 2) a real love interest that people could buy. And it wouldn't have felt like a torture if they couple really got out of the les champs battus... anyone can translate that for me :confused:

»» Mac set my g-sting on fire in The Past, Present and Murder. I hate it when they bring Righteous Mac out of the closet. Although, it is also part of what makes Mac and it's a healthy love/hate thing I have with him lol

»»» I wanted more character development from Sid, Hawkes and Adam and instead we only got this Montana/City Boy bad, BAD overload. Every episode, I was hoping for development... and it never came. SHAME. They were tiny bits of moments here and there, but I felt teased by the writers. Were they poking around to see what kind of story line could evolved from these moments? I don't understand. It seems they served us the same characters over and over again for a long while. No? Or S5 was such a platitude in overall that it feels like I haven't seen the other characters since... forever. BUT, to be fair... I have to say that I really liked how Sid shined in Point of No Return. Robert Joy is a fantastic actor and I adore how he portrays Sid and it was nice to get more of him than what we usual have during the episodes.

EDIT
    Oh, and I forgot to say : Blasé Carmine/Neutral Danny makes me shrug :( It's only normal his character has to evolved and blablabla but why messed with the essence of what makes Danny Danny?! There are things in life that can make you mature (looove, having kids, loosing someone) but in the end it doesn't make you go 180 degrees from what you are. I don't believe people can change for the person they love... they can only improve some bad sides :lol: I guess that's why Carmine was running aournd without his vest? But I don't know. There's just something when he talks that is just isn't there anymore. Sorry if that was a little bit off-topic. But it's also one of the reason why S5 felt wrong for me. I was looking to see if the essence of Danny would kick back or not. It was there on and off IMO.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  11. Bryn Elizabeth

Bryn Elizabeth Rookie

I think I would give this season a low A. I love character development, but this season threw it out and in your face. There were certain things I liked: F/A, Danny and Lindsay doing the right thing...

Mac was overly self-righteous. Normally I adore his protective/fatherly nature, but this season he was way too "We have to do this by the book" and "Everyone else always screws up". It seemed very Un-Mac.

Stella holds her palce as my all-time favorite TV character. She is motherly and adorable, but passionate and independant. Her connection with Mac was great in the last few episodes. Melina always makes me smile.

Danny did a lot of growing up. He needed to grow up, but not that much, that fast. I loved the way he stepped up to take care of Lindsay and the baby, though. But then he went very out of character... Sure, he loves Linds, but he went way over the top after the baby thing. Their relationship was NEVER like that before and it went downhill fast.

Lindsay did a fair job. I was glad she got more screen time. She's such a cutie. I understood her stand with Danny at first, and I liked how she just continued to do her job. And Lucy is so cute!

Hawkes has never stood out to me. I mean, I am glad we know more about him now, but I don't understand everyon'e love. He's just another lab rat who doesn't even bring comic relief. He never seemed to have much persnality to me, although he did slightly improve this season.

Adam makes me laugh. I was glad to see him do more. Though he will never make my list of favorite characters, especially since I don't see him as very important or particularly unique, he is an aspect of the show I enjoy.

Sid is cool. he's so nice and he was very in-character this season. I enjoyed his episode immensely. If I am ever murdered, please send me to Sid.

Flack remains my favorite male character on TV. He's funny (not to mention gorgeous) and he seems very real to me. He had an amazing role this season. The range Eddie Cahill was allowed to play impressed me beyond belief. Eddie is a fabulous actor, and Flack is a great character, and we really got to see that.

Angell was one of my favorites on TV. She was hilarious, and the F/A relationship was amazing. The actors and characters had great chemistry, and it brought alot to the show. I cried the entire epsiode in which she died. I will miss her and bring the season's grade down partially because we lost such a great character.

As far as episodes go, they weren't boring. It was a good balance of case and character development. The story arcs were pretty good. I always wanted to know what happened next.

All in all, I was very impressed with this season. I can't wait to see what season 6 has in store for us!

12. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I gave it an A, though on second thought maybe it's really deserving of an A+ just for making me cry in the finale.....

But i love this season! I think NY finally found its unique groove! The cast is absolutely wonderful and writing is pretty darn good too!

13. danny-lindsay4e

danny-lindsay4e Witness

i went B+ it was great one of my top season's but! it could have been better like the start of the season we should have had more danny lindsay to let us know she went back that night and not have to guess it.
    The opener was a bit boring i wanted more mac kicking ass you know? but he was fine well apart from the swim.

14. Miyukiseta

Miyukiseta Rookie

Grade: D

Why: Season opened with Mac kidnapped by "Joe". Boring...! Anything that involves the words "cliffhanger finale and TBC premier" just annoys me to hell now and is just a way to keep the audience tuning in for the next season. Christ's sake, TPTB thinks we're that dumb...

A whole list of bad eps. To name a few: Turbulence, The Box, Prey, The Past, Present, and Murder, Greater Good, Grounds For Deception, etc. The list goes on.

A whole list of good eps and ones that I would love to watch again: Yahrzeit, Pay Up...umm...umm...uh oh...can't think of any others...that's not good...2 out of 25 eps...outta a hundred...8/100...whoa...8%... That is not good...worse than fail. How is that even possible...? :confused: *shrugs*

The following 2 eps above totally saved the season...kinda. Otherwise, I would have given S5 F. Maybe even worse than F...Z? In my books, 2 out of 25 is just dang horrible...:scream: :wtf: :shifty:

15. Zipster

Zipster Witness

I really enjoyed this season, I certainyl kept coming back for me! A+

Z
    :thumbsup: