"All In" Season Finale Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, May 9, 2009.

1. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Well think I'm in the ok group.Many things have been said but I'll just babble on a little...

With Ray it was for me the same old . I think his character is interesting and I really liked his intrudaction and the team/Nick taking him under his wing in a few work methods .
    I give him credit for life expirience and being a prof. ,but I totally miss a believable transition to him suddenly being a know it all and top dog CSI...
    And scenes like Ray working full time CSI and then pro bono as a doc - two exhausting jobs ??; or the omnious box :character developement ? future story ? what ??? - just too much IMHO. But maybe they'll play it down a little in the future and Ray'll learn from this lesson.

Liked the little scenes for nearly everyone (at least al little Mandy as one of the other lab rats) ,can live with it.

I think Riley was right, what Ray did was dangerous and her snappy reaction can be because she was worried and on adrenalin.

Nick as the new bug guy ? well could say one way to evercome a fear is to face it....

Liked the use of Gregs interest in Vegas history :) and the story is mostly ok ,and I don't need big drama/cliffy (got that with enough other shows ^^ *g*) but I had hoped for one of their little more quirky or unusuals eps as finale.

Well I'm an optimist and after this not exactly smooth season I hope it only can get better, with George recovering and more balance in the team and story writing ...

2. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with him needing to put enough hours in at a hospital to keep his medical license or something like that. He did mention that it was pro bono work, so it could be just a matter of him doing it because he likes it. I'm hoping they explain more of this in next season's opener. Some of this would make more sense if they had just added a 'to be continued' note at the end, so we'd know that this storyline won't just be dropped. (since we all know that the CSI writers aren't good with continuity)

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ooh, that's a good theory. I wish they'd explain why he reacted the way he did to the man in the pit (lol man in the pit sounds like a Bones ep title haha) more than just the doctor bit. I would understand it better if he had been a medic in the armed services since in wars they are usually hiding in pits or something similiar.

4. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

I'm curious as well as to why Ray was in the ER. Yes, he's a doctor, but I don't ever recalling him being an M.D. I thought he was a PhD in some sort of psychology.

And I don't think Nick is taking on the "bug man" role so much as to get over his fear but as to to keep Grissom's spirit alive in the office. Grissom treated Nick like a son and I think Nick feels he should take his "father's" place.

But I'll be waiting for you Nick in Hawaii on the beach with some Hawaiian Mai Tai's :D

5. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I believe that he's mentioned a few times that he's a doctor, in this episode in the hospital when he was talking to the guy after he'd just had his leg amputated. Even back in "no way out" when he & Riley were held hostage in the basement, he told the suspects that he was a doctor and could help the injured guy who was bleeding. Didn't he used to be an M.E. or something too? That's the reason he's comfortable with Doc Robbins in the morgue and helps him with autopsies.

6. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Lol. I'm guessing you're one of those Devils fans, eh?

Ray is definitely an MD. My understanding was that that was a big part of the basis for his character becoming a CSI. He worked with a serial killer when he was working at a hospital.

But as to him needing to work pro bono or in some vicinity to keep his M.D., I'm fairly certain that's not the case. Not that CSI:Miami represents the pinnacle of realism, but I'm fairly certain Alexx wasn't practicing her live doctoring skills in the six-seven years prior to going to work at a hospital. A retired doctor is still a doctor, as is a doctor that works in other jobs. Doc Robbins is still a doctor, and I don't think he's done any other pro bono type stuff either. If anything, it would be a major liability for hospitals to have random M.D.s coming in to brush up on their skills. So I definitely still don't see how Ray working at a hospital makes sense.

7. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Heck no. Flyers fan. Doesn't matter. We still lost with the help of Epic Fail. *shrugs* That's hockey.

I suppose it's entirely possible for Ray to have a side volunteer-ish job as a doctor. I was just confused because I had no idea what it was supposed to do with anything concerning the plot. That he's a doctor? That he cares about his patients?

8. EricaSJ

EricaSJ Judge

^ I think it's possible that they did it to make a contrast with the ending scene where he had to end another person's life.

9. ACW1129

ACW1129 Police Officer

My questions might've gotten lost:
    1) So who actually killed Huston?
    2) Why was that guy hiding in the trunk anyway?

10. Elayne

Elayne Police Officer

1) I think Huston was killed by the guy who lost his leg
    2) He had just killed his wife (the diner's owner) and was probably just planning to bolt when Ray drives up and probably blocked the getaway.

11. Live4GrissNSara

Live4GrissNSara Lab Technician

Well, that was definitely a disapointing season finale. It was okay for a normal episode, but never for a finale. Probably the worst in the history of CSI. I am glad they didn't do the whole "CSI in danger" though. I'm a huge fan of CSI's in danger, but I think it was appropriate this time around to do something different, especially since Ray and Reily had that hostage episode not to long ago.
    That being said, there wasn't much of anything to keep me interested or even want me to return for next season. I would have prefered a cliff hanger of sorts. That leaves us fans lots to speculate about over the break and have something to look forward to. I love suspense.

Honestly, all my other shows' finales smoked this episode. I'm still on a high from Lost, and that was wednesday. I found myself flipping over to Grey's Anatomy's finale during commercials.. and not returning until Grey's commercials. That never happens.

I really hope the writers have learned a thing or two about what fans like and dislike from the second half of this season. And hopefully season 10 will improve.

Oh, and I love that Nick is becoming the bugman. Well, bugman Jr.

12. byline

byline CSI Level One

I hate to keep restating the obvious, but mightn't this have been due to his back? He probably was not physically capable of doing more than he did.

As for the episode itself, I thought it wasn't a bad episode, just not a great season finale. But I still think they're scrambling a bit in the wake of Petersen's departure, still trying to figure out how to integrate so many changes, and a pretty significant new hire, and create a new yet familiar landscape.

13. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree with you on this point. I just told my dad basically the same thing earlier today on the phone. :lol:

14. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Releasing from tack, feel free to continue the discussion. ;)

15. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

Sorry if i am repeating the same things, i couldn't read all the posts...

Not the worst episode i have seen and not the best season finale of course...

The begining was confusing. I thought the guy with knife in ER would connect to the case in some point but no... It was just a piece of Ray's character as a doctor i guess. :rolleyes:
    The newbie against new girl... i guess i liked the idea. I think Riley was right, Ray should have been more careful with the suspect .

In the end, i didn't feel shocked or dissappointed or ecxited or sad or... :wtf: I hope the next season will be more exciting...

The End...