Season 9 Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Mar 21, 2009.

1. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Good point. I guess if Grissom was the heart and soul they need to find some way to transplant another heart-how they can do that is hard to say?

I would just hate to see the show be cancelled now because even though Grissom was the centre of the show, there were other wonderful characters on there who in my mind still have a story there to tell about them. Nick had a wonderful storyline with Turn, Turn, Turn but there's more there and I just wish and hope it gets flushed out before the end of the show.

And sadly, I think the whole focus on Ray was a bit of a mistake because even he is an established leading character, he didn't easily win over fans because the loyalty to other characters is still so strong.

LOL. Yeah I hate reading how uncreative I am because I'm a fan of another character. Oh well.

So I hope things improve, but after nine years it's hard to say. Is CBS willing to let the ratings continue to drop? I fear what they plan to do next because they don't always have the best intersts of the fans in mind. For them it's about the big bucks.

Here's another one from MSNBC.

I just hope if they do decide to cancel it this season, at least flush out Nick more because God knows George deserves to be in the spotlight more!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

oh yeah, cause we make up nick names of the characters like 12 year olds and ban anyone who doesn't drink the GSR kool aid....riiiggghhtt.

Good grief, did everyone's brain explode this year? CSI fans are going to have to accept that the ratings WILL drop eventually. No show has ever kept their ratings this high before. Look at Law and Order...

Besides, Grey's had a huge ratings hit this past season, and last season...they sank down to around 14 million, and that show is still young. CSI has been beating them for most of this and last season.

CSI is a huge money maker, even if it isn't number one. I doubt that only 15 million people are watching CSI. Even if they lost 50% of the ratings, the show could still be considered successful, most dramas only hit 6-8 million.

3. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

In reference to Grey's, I really do see that show fizzing out soon enough. It's a character drama, and eventually they're going to run out of potential melodrama storylines. Losing two key characters definitely won't help them. My impression was that one couple in particular was what kept the show alive, and there's just only so much drama you can create around a single couple. And now that that couple is "married", they're going to have to rely on even more contrived plot devices. So I'd say Grey's is on it's way out. CSI, being a procedural, has the potential to last a lot longer than Grey's does. Good character dramas (let alone god-awful ones, a category that I think Grey's fits into more), as far as I know, just don't last as long as good procedurals.

4. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I agree. I just don't trust CBS because it doesn't matter if CSI is still bringing in 15 million viewers, they still want the show to hit the 24 million it used to get because more viewers equals more money through advertising fees and such. Every network aims to be number one.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay this was not necessary. consider this a friendly reminder, if you disagree about the characters involved in GSR that is fine as long as you back it up with why, etc, but it's the members who like them that is off limits, you know this. ;)

7. 456

456 Dead on Arrival

8. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Translating to viewer numbers:

CSI 14.42 million/ with 3.4 in 18-49 demo.
    Grey's Anatomy 1st hour: 15.58/5.5 in the demo.
    2nd hour of Grey's: 17.12/6.2 in the demo.

9. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

From Yahoo News.
    CBS finishes season as most-watched U.S. network

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – CBS finished the U.S. television season as the most-watched network and the only one of the four major broadcasters to increase its viewership, Nielsen Media Research data showed on Thursday.

The CBS Corp unit boasted both the top drama ("CSI") and top comedy ("Two and a Half Men") as its average overall viewership rose 11 percent to 11.76 million in the 2008-09 season. CBS has led the field six times in seven years.

News Corp's Fox, last season's leader, slipped to No. 2 as its viewership dropped 13 percent to 9.8 million. Its talent-show juggernaut "American Idol" remained the most-watched TV show in America, despite some erosion. Wednesday's season-ender attracted 28.2 million viewers, the lowest audience for a finale of the popular show since 2004. Fox also was the top choice for adults aged 18 to 49, a demographic coveted by advertisers.

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ok, to continue the ratings discussion.

Remember 'Gum Drops'? One of CSIs highest rated shows and no GSR in it.

My guess is Jorja is coming back because she knows what a mistake she made leaving the show or tptb finally cowed down to her and gave her the money she wanted when she left originally.

My guess is if the really wanted the ratings to go up, it would be Grissom they're bringing back NOT Sara.

As for the season finale not having big ratings, that has nothing to do with no GSR, that has to do with the writers writing a bad episode, just like the 200th episode was bad. Ratings for CSI has gone down even with GSR on it.

Ratings are not an indicator of how many fans like GSR. It's an indicator of how many people are watching the show. If the ratings go up a bit when Sara is on, then it means Jorja's fans are watching and lo and behold, not ALL Jorja fans are GSR fans either.

Besides you can blame the ratings drop over the season for a lot of reasons and GSR is one of them. I know many people that stopped watching CSI because of it.

So you can argue ratings all you want, the fact remains it doesn indicate what the fans really want.

Alright, we're both going off topic and we're both going to get hosed. We'll have to argue ratings in the ratings thread.

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Sadly there are groups of CSI fans who believe that to be one of the worst episodes.

12. nanigsr

nanigsr Witness

I remember that epi,i liked. You can only give me an episode? About that GSR ruined the show,i don't think the same. GSR give better ratings,and withouth GSR dropped the ratings...just my opinion. Of 9.11 to 9.24 they had time to shine,and they does not did it so much. The return of Sara is because that they're desperate.

13. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

The thing is that it's rather difficult to determine whether the cause of good ratings in such episodes was caused by GSR or by Grissom in general. However, ratings have been going down during GSR's tenure. To the new team having the latter half of Season 9 to shine, the thing is that TPTB didn't really give them that chance; rather, they gave it to Ray Langston. If they hadn't brought him in and just gave the new team the rest of the screentime (and if they hadn't written the two awful Ray-centric episodes, Mascara and All In), then maybe they would have been able to hold their ratings.

14. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Good point Happy. GSR did not do much for the ratings. They lost the main demographics to the Grey's crew.

And as for the cast shining. The highest rated, post-Grissom episode was Turn, Turn, Turn-a Nick centric episode with 20 million viewers. So..

15. nanigsr

nanigsr Witness

The people who say "GSR ruined the show",the problem is that was GSR the chip chosen and not Gil/Cath,Nick/Cath etc...if it had been another ship,no problem. The executive are ruining the show "not GSR". They're trying to extender a show that not give for more. Without Gil "I'm talking of him,and not GSR" not like so much the show. They tried to cover his big hole with LF,and that idea didn't work...The CBS,TPTB are making down the ratings,they ruined it not GSR.