Season 9 Ratings Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

I read this in the news. Bolding is mine

Some 15.3 million felt their way through last night's marriage-go-round, per preliminary Nielsen estimates. Grey's outdrew time-slot rival CSI (14.6 million) for the first time since November 2007, ABC said. Among hopeless romantics aged 18-49, Grey's dominated the night more than usual and beat CSI by its widest margin in two years.

So CSI has been beating Grey's for some time, not in the 18-49 demographic, but overall.

Not to mention that the main ship in the show was suppose to get married and then they did a switcharoo on their fans. Tsk Tsk

Here's the link if you want to see the whole article. Though its really about Greys.

2. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Plus last night was Grey's 100th episode. They were promoting the heck out of it.

3. 456

456 Dead on Arrival

Well, we certainly didn't get a ratings kick from our 200th episode.

Unfortunately, I think CSI is going to experience a continual erosion of its ratings. Many people just don't feel the same way about the show and are increasingly tuning out.

4. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I'm not sure where you got most people. CSI has still retained the majority of its viewers. CSI is, first and foremost, a procedural. Plenty of its viewers tune in for the mystery rather than the characters, and many more who tune in for characters do so for characters other than Grissom. If it were more character-drama/soap-operaish, then I think Grissom's loss would cause more problems. It's basically in the top hour-spot of the week and it isn't exactly losing wildly there. A lot of networks put their best shows in that time slot and were CSI not up against said top shows, then it would probably do even better, relative to its time slot. I know a lot of my friends have multiple shows that they really like in the Thursday 9pm timeslot, so they always have to watch at least one online afterwards. I'm sure that Internet viewers are definitely eating into CSI's viewing numbers.

5. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Well, this is May sweeps, and shows are suppose to have events to boost their ratings. I'm not in the biz, but I think sweeps months are used to help the advertisers determine what they will pay for advertising. No doubt CSI's stock has gone down some.
    I am very interested in what they have planned for next season and how they will promote the show over the summer when they do their promotional tour.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think maybe they should have Ray go to a conference for a couple of weeks (ie three or four episodes) and let Marg and George carry the show just for those few weeks and see how well the ratings do. Just as an experiment. Personally, I think they'll find that the ratings would do rather well, maybe better than they are now. I like the Ray character and I like the actor, but a lot of fans are resenting the character because the writers are focusing on him while leaving other characters in the background and some with very little development. Long time fans (some of them) are not happy with this. I DOUBLE DARE tptb to take my suggestion and put it to use, just to see. I'd be interested to see the results. ;) And if it doesn't work, then they could bring Ray back from the conference and have him at the forefront again (as long as the others don't get shoved into the background in the process and as long as screentime is more balanced with all characters).

7. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

8. Nicksfriend

Nicksfriend Police Officer

I agree 100%. This would be a great idea,let's see what George and Marg can do with the show,given a good script and the rest of the ensemble that has placed CSI as the number one scripted show on television. No Ray for three weeks,he is making several movies this year,this shouldn't be that difficult. Nice Idea!!!!

9. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

I TRIPLE DOG DARE TPTB to take GNRFan's suggestion. As much as I love it, TPTB wouldn't do it IMO. It makes too much sense for them to do it!:lol:

You are spot on about (some) fans resenting him because he is pushing their favorite characters to the back. I know that even though I like and respect LF and the fact that I enjoy Ray to an extent, that I do resent him a little bit becaus ehe has been shoved down my and other peoples throats. I know I should have expected it, but it's still a little annoying.

10. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I found this article over at the YTDAW website. Why I go there is beyond me. I must be a masochist! Since they seem to do nothing but bash fans of other characters.:klingon:

Anyways, going off topic. Here is the article.

11. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

The show is ending it's NINTH season. People are expecting the ratings to stay the same? Really?

Most casual viewers are not even that familiar with the characters, the one they know the most is Grissom, so it is no surprise the ratings will fall after he left. Even more likely, sara and/or GSR fans left the show, cause they are just SO loyal :lol:

12. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Funny, I feel the same way when I come here.

Back on topic:
    CSI was still in the top 10 last week(#8); just behind 3 other scripted shows: The Mentalist, NCIS, and Grey's Anatomy, with the usual reality shows (Ameican Idol and Dancing With The Stars) at the top. Not bad for a show in its 9th season.

And, yes, xfcanadian, there are some GSR fans who are also loyal viewers.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rest In Peace, Juliet :(

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  13. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

I hate when they insinuate that the only reason for the ratings to be dropping is Grissom's departure. The ratings have been dropping for years. In my opinion the ratings drop is more due to the fact that they decided to fight Grey's Anatomy on their grounds instead of doing what they do best. They need to look back on the episodes that made this show what it is and try copying it for todays audience.

myfuturecsi, you go there for the same reasons I do. If you figure out what those are will you tell me? :p

Sounds like a good idea to me. They haven't had someone away at a confrence since what - season 5 or something?

Susan

14. GameFace

GameFace Lab Technician

But part of ratings drops for all shows is due to viewing habits these days. I don't even know the last time I watched an episode of a tv show on tv, on it's premier air-date. Any new episode I watch of any drama series, is via download. And that's a common trend. It's an important fact in ratings over the past 3 or 4 years I'd say. So it's hard to compare now to a few years ago.

But even that isn't an excuse for the ratings drop that CSI has suffered recently.

Also most shows tend to drop ratings after the initial few years, it's about keeping 'em at a steady rate, something CSI used to do impressively, it was after all the #1 show still after 9 years. But now, I guess they need a bit (lot?!) of a summer re-think.

15. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

It's such a shame that the show is losing viewers. I love the show, but not so much this season. And it has nothing to do with Grissom leaving. For me, it's the writing, including the first half when Grissom was on. The cases really weren't that good. And that team dynamic really wasn't there. I dont' understand how earlier seasons had A and B cases, giving each of the characters a pretty good amount of screen. Not so this season. There were a number of episodes that only included 5 minutes of Nick, Catherine or Greg. I wondered if they were still on the show. As for Ray, he isn't that bad, but he got too much screen time.