Why Lindsay Must Go, Part 4

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 22, 2009.

1. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Without quoting a bunch of stuff...

Agreed Curiosity. Even though I placed a lot of the responsibility on the desk of the writers, the actors really need to step up their interaction now and make it believable for the viewers. I hope they can do it. I think you are right in that the actors didn't have clear direction as to the relationship status and that made it hard to know how to portray the characters. I remember an interview Carmine did in which he stated something about he and Anna not knowing if their characters were together or apart so that has to be hard.

Top, I think they need to be given a chance before killing her off. There's a lot they could do with Lindsay that could be positive. You're completely right about the relationship with her and Mac. Of course, it can't be romantic now, but they did work well together. I think Mac was quite smitten with her in S2. Remember Risk? He about broke his neck looking up when Danny said Hello Miss Munroe on the subway tracks. (I went back and read the Lindsay/Mac ship thread and can't help but agree with you on that one.) But it's funny, I didn't see sparks fly between the two of them or anything like that. I saw Lindsay being her sweet innocent self and Mac falling all over himself to be around her. So cute!

2. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I would agree with you there...if this thread was at this point three seasons ago. The fact is, I feel that the writers have had plenty of chances with her character (she was brought in during the second season and we are now in the fifth, thats three seasons or so) as did the actress, and I'm really not up to giving them chance after chance after they have proven that they can't get her to stand on her own.

I do agree with you though in several parts of your post...I really did like her at first, and think she did have potential...but at this point, its been three years and she is still not much of anything.

3. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

^ ITA. Anna may not be the greatest actor ever, but she handled the storylines she was given at first quite well. She wasn't amazing, but she didn't make anyone cringe. I didn't like Lindsay that much at the beginning, I was missing Aiden so much, but I could take her or leave her, she didn't get on my nerves as she does now. I'm not blaming Anna's skills at all, but the path TPTB chose to take with Lindsay. She hasn't evolved, but quite on the contrary. Now she appears to be nothing but Danny's wife and Montana Jr's mother. The situation doesn't seem likely to improve any time soon and instead of trying something different to fix it, we're being asked to believe they are a mature, steady, in love couple just because TPTB say so and not because there's anything really solid on the show to prove it.

4. CSI Cupcake

^^I know. Lindsay definitely takes the award for the shouldawouldacoulda character. I just keep hoping because I'm a what-if kind of person that leans toward the optimistic side. I'll be back in here next week to see what you guys thought of 523. I would set up a table with free barfbags and baby booties so both sides of this very lively debate can have some fun but I'm not sure how the mods would feel about that. Too volatile perhaps?

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^I'm all for a table of baby booties and barf bags for the impending baby birth. :lol:

I don't mind the baby story so much--I think the writers have actually settled Anna into a niche she can handle as an actress. They've minimized the damage she can do to the show. She was awful in season three with the big emotional storyline, and giving her this storyline with the baby has put her in territory she seems more comfortable with.

That being said, I think it's kind of a bummer that Danny has been yoked to her. I think the writers have gone out of their way in the last few episodes to show us that Danny is the same reckless, passionate guy he's always been, but there's some little spark missing there. I think that might have to do with settling the character down--while it may have been the best choice for Lindsay's character, I'm not sure it was for Danny's. I guess we'll see what happens next season. I do think Danny being a father is going to be great for his character.

But I can't say how I feel about it for Lindsay's character...because there's just not much to go on. The whole baby storyline has (wisely) been shown almost exclusively from Danny's point-of-view. I will be curious to see how much "the first CSI baby" affects the show and specifically Danny and Lindsay.

6. privatename

privatename Rookie

I really don't like the baby story. Although it has been shown from Danny's perspective, it really seems to put focus on the weakest link in the show. I prefer Lindsay when they fade her into the background as a lab tech.

I was talking with a friend who loves this show and she was surprised at my (admittedly virulent) dislike of Lindsay. She basically said that she thinks that the actor is a little wooden, but is a small enough part of the show that it doesn't really bother her. As my friend and were talking, I realized that I don't really think that there is anyway for them to redeem Lindsay for me. Unless Anna is suddenly going to become an excellent actress, it doesn't matter how good the writing is -- she is still going to drag the show down for me.

7. CSI Cupcake

So sorry for the lack of barfbags, folks, but my episode was interrupted by a weatherman that repeated himself for the entire hour about a might-be-a-tornado situation south and west of me. I got the first few minutes and saw Lindsay's feet and it cut to the weatherman.

8. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Ha! If I loved just a little bit further north I would have been in the same situation as you! As far as the labor scene, let's just say that she performed as expected and met no great expectation. Maybe the actress could benefit from a little Method training to get in touch with the character?

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

The woman has given birth to two children. How much more "in touch" with the character do you have to be to do scenes of a woman in labor and giving birth? :wtf:

10. Top41

Was the labor scene really bad? I've never been in labor myself, or been in a room with someone who was in labor, but it seemed realistic to me.

I thought her comment to Adam about not being able to handle him now was rude, but par for the course with Lindsay. She's been much more in the background this season, and not quite as grating...at least not for me.

The show would still be better off without her. Anna still can't act very well--her gestures and movements and lines always come off as scripted as opposed to natural. Lindsay still hampers Danny's development. But she seems like less of an issue than she used to be because it really feels like she's been marginalized.

11. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I've never given birth myself but I have been in the room with upwards of 20 women giving birth (and no, not at the same time!:lol:). It definitely was realistic to me. Sometimes you get real 'screamers' but certainly not the majority in my experience. I actually thought she played the scene really well.

12. CSI Cupcake

Was the labor scene really that bad? I didn't think so but some of the others here may not agree with me. She did the appropriate amount of heaving, ho-ing, grimacing, and vocalizing. I thought Anna did well conveying that it had been a long day and she was exhausted and it hurt. There's not that much you can do except express pain (which she did well, I thought) and exhaustion when it's over (thought she did well with that too). Danny, on the other hand reminded me of a Jack Russell Terrier, bouncing back and forth between her head and her hoo-haw. I could almost hear "kibbles and bits, kibbles and bits" in the background. No he didn't kiss her afterwards. Neither here nor there with me because kisses can come later...that implied sort of thing I have to bear with on this type of show.

13. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

:lol: It really is a small wonder how she didn't grab him by the collar (instead of Adam of course) and tell him to shut the hell up! I definitely think Danny could have used one of 'mother's little helpers' at that point.

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

But that's Danny. The guy is a spaz most of the time. :p

:guffaw:That is hilarious on more than one level.

15. Top41

Danny actually bounced at one point when he was on the phone with Mac. Danny hasn't bounced in a while. :lol: He's definitely a child about these things.

As for the kiss...I think that's kind of telling. There's just no heat between Danny and Lindsay. I noticed that in the wedding scene, too. I just don't feel a connection between them, and felt like the lack of that was kind of emphasized by the fact that we didn't really see them together before the birth. We did, however, see each of them with other people. To me, that says a lot.

I did think the labor scene was fine--the only thing that put me off was her treatment of Adam, which stood out because she's copped that attitude with him before.