Grade 'Greater Good'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 6, 2009.

?

How would you grade Greater Good?

1. A+

22 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. A

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. A-

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. B+

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. B

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. C+

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. C

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

New ep tonight--is it good? Great? Neither? Watch and grade! :D

2. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

This ep gets an A+ from me!

Not just because of the DL stuff (which I freaking loved! :adore:) but the case was really good too. And I thought we got some great character interactions.

3. Top41

It's aired already somewhere? :confused: Wow, that's earlier than even the earliest airing I've heard of.

I want to know if the shooter guy got Charles S. Dutton's character! That little clip CBS put up definitely made me curious about the episode.

4. Top41

I see now, lol!

Don't read any further if you haven't seen the ep or don't want to be spoiled!!!!

A

Really, really liked this one. All of it--yes, even the DL stuff. Oh, Lindsay is as self-centered and unsympathetic as ever...she tells Adam she "can't deal with him right now" before demanding he drive her to the hospital, but by now I think I've almost come to accept her abrasive personality as her. Lindsay isn't a warm and fuzzy person--she's kind of brittle and abrasive. I did like how she admitted her worries to Stella. Danny is as freaked out as one would expect him to be, worrying about having a heart attack and talking to everyone on the phone.

The biggest surprise? No name for the baby yet. She'll either be Lydia (Lindsay's pick) or Lucy (Danny's pick). Both are fine names, though I personally prefer Lucy. Either way, though, at least her name isn't Montana. ;) The scene at the end with the team was fun and sweet...and as many predicted, Mac is the one asked to be the godfather.

Now on to the case, which was great. It was basically Mac hunting yet another white whale--and finding out that in the end sometimes compassion trumps justice. I knew the minute Neville refused to tell Mac who was really driving that he was covering for one of his kids. If Mac didn't have his head so far up his own ass, he would have figured that out, too. :p If there's a flaw, it's that Mac is once again the magnanimous giver of absolution, but it's nice to see him for once looking at the grey areas of a situation and not just the black and white of it.

All in all, a great episode. :D

5. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I just finished watching the episode since CBS decided to give us all a gift and put up the video early. :thumbsup: Here's my review, so look away if you don't want to be spoiled.

For me this whole episode was a yawn fest. I'd give it a C. It wasn't the most horrible episode ever, but it could have been a lot better.

The case was predictable from start to finish. I pegged that the ex-con was covering for one of his kids. I pegged that the dead girl's mom was the one who hired the hit man. The one thing that did surprise me was Mac being so compassionate with the mother. No, I don't think Mac is heartless, but the only reason someone wasn't murdered was because Mac went to visit the mother and told her he thought someone else was driving and because the freaking hit man had enough of a conscience to not want a woman murdered. If the mother had come clean herself I could see him letting her off scott free, but as it was I thought he was too lienient; especially by Mac Taylor standards.

The baby stuff was kept to a minimum, thank god. And what was shown really wasn't so bad. It was all cliche and again, predictable, but it wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be. I did think Lindsay's comment about just coming back from Montana and not wanting to deal with Adam was too bitchy. Yes, the woman was in the beginning stages of labor, but Lindsay has a history of being a hag to Adam and this felt like just one more instance to show her disdain for him. Maybe if Anna Belknap had any comedic skills it would have been funny, but her overall lack of depth and warmth just made the line seem mean and I really wanted to reach through the screen and smack her.

Adam picking 18 hours and something in the labor pool was hilarious, though. He probably hoped it'd be a long and painful labor because Lindsay is always such a bitch to him. :lol: I also loved Sheldon's look of reproach. That was classic.

Danny and Adam in the hospital was funny too. The whole thing about Lindsay being huge and Adam's look when he said that was great.

I like both Lydia and Lucy for names, too. I just hope they don't try to compromise and come up with something like Lucidya. :shifty:
    Or, God forbid, they don't name her until the finale and they decide to name her after Angell or whoever gets offed.

I'd have to say that so far the hype about the last three episodes of the season has been extremely overblown. I hope they've got something substantially better coming up in the final two episodes.

ETA: I think that the "Greater Good" was served in this instance, but I just wish they would have gone about telling the story in a less obvious way. And btw, I think Flack should've bitch smacked Danny for asking Mac to be the baby's Godfather. I'm just sayin'. :p

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Oh, Miss Top, I'm so glad you really really liked it (all of it). I know I'm going to love it, although I'm going to wait to see it at 10:00 just like normal. The names are great. I can totally see Danny picking the name he did but I like Lindsay's choice better. Sounds like Mac found the marshmallow center of his heart. Can't wait to see it.

7. PerfectAnomaly

I think the baby looked more like a Lydia than a Lucy. But then if they go with Lydia the kid is gonna be called Lyd her whole life. Plus she and mom together would be Lyd and Linds. No kid should have to deal with that.:p

8. CdfSjaI

CdfSjaI Prime Suspect

I just couldn't wait another 5 hours so I watched the episode online. Somehow I do think CBS posted early intentionally.

On to the story: If It hadn't been for the guest stars' awesome acting, the story arc would have been boring as heck. Charles Sutton (I hope i got that right) did really great and so did the lady that plays the mom. I loved how they incorporated the 'Ghostriders'. It seemed like a very REAL episode. Mac's little "compassion" was kind of :rolleyes: but other than that I really enjoyed the flashbacks, overall an A- from me.

I did like some of the baby stuff. I LMAO when Danny said that maybe it was twins and that Lindsay was huge :guffaw:And for some reason, everyone was looking really GOOOD in this episode. Sheldon looked sexy, Danny looked hott, Mac was all dressed down:thumbsup: Flack, Adam, everyone was just uber sexy. I loved how Sheldon drove like an insane person and then Danny babbling at him. I really am a sucker for these team moments.

BTW, Lindsay's hair looks better on the pictues than on the actual episode. I really still don't dig her, especially because of what she said to Adam at the beginning, I went: WTF? Don't talk to Adam that way.

9. PerfectAnomaly

If I was Sheldon I would've shoved Danny out of the SUV while it was still moving, first time father nerves be damned. :p

10. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Oh, you may be right there PA. I know of a RoseMarie that named her baby Rosemary. Too weird. But I really do love the name Lydia. I really really hope they don't change their minds and go with a namesake like Angel or Claire or Aiden. Something fresh and new would be better.

The more I read this thread the more I can't wait until 10:00 so hub and I can watch it together. But I will.

11. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

I just went to try to play it one CBS' site and it said that the video had expired... I guess I'll have to wait til 10.

12. coruption

coruption Dead on Arrival

Where is the episode? I went to CBS.com and couldnt find it...why would they post it early? It still has less than 2 hours before it airs here on the east coast

13. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I liked the episdoe a lot. I love episode that you feel liek the whole cast has a lot to do and a lot of intreaction with each other. Those are always fun.

I liked the baby stuff, deffinetly wasn't a fan of the labor scene I really thought CSI: NY wouldn't do that, that we see a couple of scenes at the hosptial then we'd see the baby.

I little dissappionted there no name for the baby yet, and really curious why no name?? how come the writers couldn't come up with a name and when are we gonig to find out the name??

But over all a very good episode I give it a B+ would have been an A if we got a name for Baby Girl Messer.

14. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

So crime and an entire office of civil servants take the day off so Lindsay can squeeze out a little bundle of something or other.

We learn early on that Danny's two week suspension is up and yet Lindsay is freshly back from Montana, so how exactly Danny spent his two weeks off with her while she was in another state we're really not sure, but asked to suspend belief again.

Her line: "I just got back from Montana and I'm not ready to deal with you yet" ruined much of the first half of the show for me. Not only did that one line completely screw up running timelines but she managed to mention Montana and be a bitch to Adam again all in one breath. Honestly I still have no idea wtf her problem with Adam is but she needs to step off. Maybe he's not ready to deal with your whiny, bloated ass after such a well-deserved break for the whole office.

At least the first half of the show gave me a highly comical impression of Mac from Adam. That saved that whole scene.

For Mac, the only person short of Adam, Sid and Flack who seem to be getting any work done while this is going on, the episode is reminiscent of The Closer but this time it takes them over 15 minutes to get around to telling us just what the hell it is that has Mac so suspicious about this case to begin with. When he finally reveals to Flack about the shoulder thing, I'm not sure I buy that he wasn't subborn enough a year ago to have figured this out then.

Secondly, Mac pretty well says outright in this scene with Don that what Nevil did at the scene of the accident was just so decent he couldn't bring himself to believe it was the truth. That says something far more interesting about Mac than it does about the case and they neglect to explore it at all.

And then we add the cheese. Danny rushing to the hospital with Hawkes' help while he calls her repeatedly, wondering why she can't pick up a phone when she's busy trying to squeeze something the size of a watermelon out of her who-ha, but don't worry because despite the fact that this is a NYC hospital and on a good day is probably half as packed as the Bronx Zoo they bump into each other in the first hallway he comes rushing down.

Half of this episode plays out during flashbacks, which is I guess the only way they could involve some characters like Danny in it without pulling him away from his own drama right now. It's not a bad idea but it doesn't execute very smoothly and it feels like everyone is popping in and out from the lab to the hospital to the morgue and wherever the hell else they're needed.

When we do catch up with Lindsay she’s already lodging complaints with Stella and I get this sinking feeling that this is only scratching the surface. We're going to be hearing about 3am feedings and colic until we're all bleeding form the ears and for a moment I have a pang of sympathy for Danny. Meanwhile in an adjacent hall Danny's moaning to Adam and I have to laugh that this thing is on the verge of springing from her loins and still these two are completely incapable of voicing their real thoughts with one another and have to dump their shit on coworkers. I'd be pissed to have to work with either of them at this point.

Adam has 600 in the baby pool, well I wonder what he's got in the divorce pool.

Probably the best interaction through this entire episode was that minute we got between Sid and Mac in the morgue where Mac finally breaks down and asks why the hell everyone is so concerned with how he spends his off the clock time and Sid has to point out the obvious for him.

The rest of the episode really happens in a bit of a blur, between long uninspired conversation and the revelation that his daughter was in the car with him, which I'd guess from about five minutes in. While I might have preferred that the goon working for the vending company had scared Nevil into I've seen this plot play out before on both other CSIs, and probably a Law & Order or two. It's not new. It's not inventive. It's not surprising.

The next thing I know I'm cringing at the sight of Danny coaching this kid out of his baby Mama for about 30 seconds longer than I could stand to see and then everyone is standing around ooing and awing at the fresh pink neonate. They make hackneyed quips and congratulations and Mac is given the title of Godfather for reasons we've barely been privy to. Most annoyingly they end the heart warming scene making damn sure not to give us a name in what only comes off like a desperate attempt to retain viewers for these last two episodes. They might as well have had Lindsay start saying "her name is..." and quickly cut the scene with a big bold "TO BE CONTINUED..."

Weak.

ETA: half way through watching the show here, I learned that CBS leaked it on their website. Silly kids. I wonder if that will effect their ratings, or if there was some rhyme or reason to doing that.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  15. ErinElizabeth

ErinElizabeth Rookie

I know I gave my little tid bit already but I was afraid to say too much because I knew so many others hadn't seen the episode yet.

I loved everything about this episode though. I loved all the team/character moments, the DL moments, and the case.

Thought I will say I'm with all of you, Lindsay's "I can't deal with you" to Adam was bitchy. But She was in labor so I dunno... But yeah she does seem to cop an attitude with Adam which is odd to me.

I'm also not thrilled that Mac is godfather. :rolleyes: I was almost hoping Flack would go "WHAT?!" when they asked him but no dice. :lol:

Seriously though! Is the poor guy just chopped liver now or something?! I know Mac has been a father figure for both Danny and Lindsay but make him honorary grandpa then!!

All well. I'm personally not a fan of Lydia or Lucy and hope that they'll come up with something different by the next episode. But I thought it was so funny when Flack goes "I guess that's a no..."

Just a few small complaints but I really did love this ep.