Danny in a TV Guide Poll... *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Why did Danny make the 'characters most likely to die' list?

1. He's happy--and characters don't get to stay happy in dramas

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. He's gotten boring--the character is lacking the passion he had originally

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. He's played out as a character--nothing left to do with him

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. His death would be the most shocking

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

It would be somewhat unexpected. Since CSI is a cop drama, technically, any character can die at any time.

2. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I am surprised to see him in that poll.

For me (and not the tvguide poll) I picked #2 Boring because I think he's really suffered over the years. But if boring were a criteria there are certain others whom I think shoulda found their way onto the list.

I don't think it's in Messer to simply be happy go lucky, and if he ever reached that state of #1, then that would certainly lead to state #3, of having played himself out.

I don't think I'd be shocked either. I recall moving him from my Not Bloody Likelies to Possibles at one point when the speculation was wide open and Carmine looked to be rather uninspired. There are others whom I would be far more shocked to see go than Messer.

Well, in the best of all worlds I'd like to think his future potential existed regardless, but it's been three seasons of erosion. Sure, the stakes for him are now upped in starting a family, but I'm also dismayed his future potential is now primarily tied to DL. I think TPTB will always veer toward melodrama; the worry to have is how they're gonna handle it. That's the track record they're often lacking in.

I think the problem with Danny this season is that he was co-opted into Lindsay's baby storyline, and neither character got much of anything else. Airtime is finite, whaddaya do. Mac and Stella have each had their stories, I like that Flack and Hawkes and Adam have gotten some overdue attention directed their way :p , and even Sid did too in 5.02 and 5.18. I think each character did get a little something tossed their way this season, including Danny, I think it's just that aside from brief glimmers of the Danny of old, his material is generally tied to Lindsay. Anything further I'd say here about the impact DL is having on each of the characters within the relationship and the kind of material it generates for them is probably better placed in different threads.

My first questions would be, who wrote the poll, and were the characters listed voted onto it in the first place. Curious too that came out after House aired their shocker.

I voted Boring because I think he now is. If I claimed to understand a collective whim at all I'd think the general populace would see Danny dying as being a shocker.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. CrimeShark

CrimeShark Pathologist

I agree. And even though I don't want to pigeonhole Danny as the guy who messes up or who has things happen, he's really that person. Even Carmine has said so. The problem with this is, writers basically see Danny as a "tool" to use whenever they want to do something shocking, or to throw a plot line at - and they're not necessarily to his advantage or to further his character development. I think ever since Lindsay arrived, he's had to share his drama and it's just not fun! I want the old Drama Queen Danny back *pouts*

I don't think I'll be watching NY without Danny. As much as I love Flack, it's just not the same :(

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

*pops in* I was surprised to see that they had him on this poll - but my guess is that he's included because he is 'happy'. This whole baby-and-wedding storyline has been all about him, and it seems suspiciously like they're wrapping up the Happily Ever After just to rip it down.

I don't think that's the case (unless they're being very good about keep spoilers under wraps :p), but that's how it seems. So yeah, that's my guess about why he's on the poll.

5. Isla

Isla Prime Suspect

Perhaps some thought of 5x18 when he was almost shot in the warehouse. And of the scene in the locker room with the blood on his hands. But I don´t know. I´m really surprised to see him in the poll.
    Now that we know that there are more cops in his family, I think that could be an interesting storyline for Danny.

6. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Danny is in the pole b/c he is happy and has a storyline with Lindsay.

also it's TV cliche as well. when someone's life is finally going right and they're happy it never lasts (Grey's Anatomy fans anyone? we all know about this too well from watching this show).

7. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Personally I think there are a couple of reasons, I think if he were to be killed of, it could be because his character has eventually got happiness, and like it's been said, that doesn't happen in dramas, but also IMHO he's gotten dry over the last season or so, I don't have the same love for Danny as I used to, he just doesn't seem to be being used as much, and doesn't seem to have the same passion that he used to, although that could be the intention, making him calm down in prep for becoming a father... Just my 2 cents...

8. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

I don’t find that the character of Danny is tedious, far from there, it is the character who evolved the most in the show.
    Afterwards, perhaps that its relation with Lindsay took more place, and that for some, it is disturbing, but I think that it is a good thing.
    Since season 2, one felt that something went last but nothing really concrete, except the final one of season 3.
    This season 5 will have allowed a settling and allows us to really see or us all in all with the DL.
    We can like the couple or not, but at least one is fixed about relationship.
    If its name appears in this survey for my part, it is especially because it is the character who has the most affinity with the remainder of casting.
    He means himself with everyone, therefore it is normal that its loss can affect everyone.
    Thus for my part, I have chooses this option because that would upset everyone at all because it is tedious.

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I wanted to think about this one before I voted. I went with the fact that he's happy, which I think probably influenced some in voting, but I think if I were to make this poll now, I'd have included an option that said "he's been reckless this season." I think Danny has taken a lot of chances, from rushing after a suspect without a bulletproof vest to beating a Neo-Nazi. He hasn't suffered any major consequences for either--namely, Mac, the voice of reason on the show, hasn't chewed him out for either. So maybe people suspect he's heading for a big fall, one that could cost him his life.

I do think it's interesting that he got enough votes to make the poll, though.

10. Mynerva24

Mynerva24 Witness

I voted for because there's nothing else to do with him. Well, at least nothing that wouldn't seems to be forced into the show. Of course they could do with him being a father and have to balance that with work, and what not, but i have this feeling that if they do that, our old Danny (which you guys have been talking about) will not even left his remnants. Beside, his death (as another original character that would be killed) will also be more shocking (given that we know that it won't be Mac or Stella). I agree with Debs. He's not untouchable anymore. Don has taken the position. Even Doc and Adam seem more untouchable than him. *shrug*

11. Railynn

Railynn Rookie

I'm a little confused I thought Angel was the one dying in the finale?? did that change and now we don't know, or is someone else dying as well?? I don't get it I thought there was one death in the finale and that one death was Jessica Angel.

12. Mynerva24

Mynerva24 Witness

Well, it's Angell that die in the finale. But, one of the team will also be in danger. I think it's supposed to be the cliffhanger for this season, and like you see, most people think it'd be Danny.

13. Zipster

Zipster Witness

I would be surprised if they killed him off. He's a gritty NY cop with a little bit of personality. He's reminds me of someone you'd see in NYPD Blue - along with Flack. I would be sad if they killed him off, but sometimes a show needs fresh blood to take it in a new direction.

Z
    :p

14. coruption

coruption Dead on Arrival

I just can't see them killing Danny off (unless Carmine wanted out). He's probably the most popular characters on the show. They have to know there are probably fans who would literally stop watching just because he was gone.I'm not one of those fans. I like Danny.I still find him interesting and realistic.In fact,I kind of liked him this season (except for a few moments) better than the ones before. By letting him concentrate solely on his relationship with Lindsay and the new baby (as stomach churning as that storyline is, IMO),I think the writers have made room for some development of the other characters this season.Before this season,Danny's angst kind of overshadowed things.Great acting ,by far,but it was starting to be a little too much.Its nice to see a balance. I still don't want him killed off and I just can't see them doing that. I think he made that list simply,maybe, as a attempt to throw viewers off...