Who had the best character development this season?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Apr 24, 2009.

1. CSInyFAN

CSInyFAN Victim

Adam--he is starting to become one of my favorite characters.
    I can't wait for wednesday

2. Meatball42

Meatball42 Police Officer

I'm gonna just write this by character as I go along.

Mac: I think he's mellowed out a bit, which is a relief. The taxicab thing was almsot painful to watch because he got soooo stressed out and I wanted to jump into the tv and point at that guy who did it! To be honest, I didn't even start watching the show until My Name is Mac Taylor, because it was the 100th eppy, but i immediatly gave in, knowing I had to watch this awesome show, and started catching reruns on spike. Now hes one of my favorite characters and I'm glad to see all the progress he's made: turbulence was interesting to watch, he was reallow calm about the whole D/L baby thing when in earlier season he might have flown off the handle, he was a bit mean to hawkes in help, though. The entire 'ella' storyline was awesomely scary. I felt so bad for her, then I thought 'oh you sneak!' I was freaked for about ten seconds that he would actually end up liking her. Glad that didn't happen, she's not good enough for him. I loved that he stood up for flack in rush to judgement, because he was wrongfully accused too, in the 'dobson affair.' I love the dunbrook storyline; it looks like he has learned a bit about politics, finally. I think it was really great how he and hawkes treated that poor girl in prey, I would have done the same thing. i can't wait to see Yarhzeit.

Stella: This greek storyline is looking to be one of the best so far! it really shows her dedication to her job, an obsession that my rival Mac'sd on the taxicab case.
    I can absolutely see her quitting to go to greece for her case and I'm so glad Mac decides to support her, otherwise she might not trust him anymore.
    The greek professor was interesting because it showed more of her past. I wonder how she got from a foster home (cold reveal) to studying at a university under an expert in his field. But this is my favorite storyline for her so far. Also, I'm glad she finally got a boyfriend who wasn't a. trying to kill her, or b. trying to kill mac. The eyeball in the coffee was sooooo unrealistic! it just happened to land in the CSI's cup? no way. The look on her fac e was funny though

Danny/ Lindsay: I'm grouping these two together because practically their every development has been as a couple this season. They didn't even have a scene together until dead inside. The box was one of my favorite episodes in the season, and I think it gave danny a lot of depth past the characteristic vaccilation between playboy and lovesick puppy that he usually was. I loved lindsay's lines in the box 'I know you' and 'I don't expect anything'. I wish TPTB would have elaborated on ThAT sentiment a bit more. I was shocked that she actually eblieved he would just stand by and let her raise his child alone, although, when you look at recent events, he didn't really seem like a standup kind of guy. On that subject, I think the storyline of bringing Rikki back would have been awesome! I wish they could still do it, although now the D/L thing is going in a 'happy family' direction where Rikki wouldn't really fit. I think it was good for them to get married, because now there's no more will they/won't they. It's also danny's way of proving that he is committing to the family. I don't think they ever stated it onscreen, does anyone know if Lindsay actually changed her name to Messer? I think that would be a bit strange.

Hawkes: I am so glad they put in that storyline in Help about Kara. It really gave his character so much more deoth and explained why he hasn't had a romantic interest on the show. I thought them bringing it up again in Prey was a bit cheesy, although it explained why he was so willing to forgive the girl who killed her stalker and why he showed her how to avoid jail time.

Adam: I think Adam is one of the worst used, most valueable characters on the show. The scene in Enough where he thought Mac fired him almost made me cry and it was so great to see how much he respected Mac, and the how hard Mac fought for him and the other lab techs who were fired. The Party's Over was heart-wrenching and I wish they would dive more into his history. I also think he should get a grilfreidn. He deserves someone who gets his quirks. Just not Stella. He's afraid of people in power, and her being nice to him is more like a mother figure than anything else.

Sid: Watching page turner was scary because, while I was pretty sure he wouldn't die, I was always thinking 'what if'. It was good to see everyone at the lab supporting him though, and him protecting them by staying alone with the body. I love camaraderie! Point of No Return was great because it showed that, although he is a creepy guy who works in a morgue he has really, really good friends. I was sursprised that sid, who always did his job and separated hismelf from it could not bring himself to do Anabel's autopsy. This really shows that she was liek another daughter to him.

Flack: This season has been a telling one for Flack, but sources report that more is still to come. I thought it was a smart move by TPTB to give Flack a sister. It shows that, although he has some alpha male characteristics, showing that he loves his little sister makes him so much more realistic. Her alcoholism and sentiments that 'you were always good at everything' show a lot about his family and background, something which was not much touched upon until this season.
    I have nothing to say on the topic of Angell because, although I think she's a great peron and they make one of the best couples I've seen on this show, I don't want to get too attached because I think she's going to be the one who dies. That being said, I relay really really really hope she isn't. let her be the one who's dangerously wounded but pulls through. Please?!?!

Wow! Sorry that was really long! I had not idea I had that much to say! sorry if it's too much, you don't actually have to read it all.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2009
  3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:) Actually, it was really interesting.

I've edited your post to put the spoilers into a spoiler box. If a thread isn't specifically marked as containing spoilers please use spoiler code as a courtesy to those who wish to remain spoiler-free. Thanks. :)

4. Meatball42

Meatball42 Police Officer

Sorry, I'm new here, I don't know how to do that drop-box thing.

Does anyone know why it says 'Victim' next to my username?

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The title under your username is related to how many posts you've made. (Some people have custom titles, but most members have one based on how many posts they've made.)

BTW, the spoiler code is:

[*spoiler=Season Finale] Here is what appears in the spoiler box [*/spoiler]

Take out the ** (and edit the part that says 'Season Finale' to be relevant to whatever the spoiler is about) and you're good to go. :)

6. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I think Flack and Adam have had the most meaningful development this season (so far).

With the introduction of Sam, the romance with Angell, and the wrestling/IAB episode, we got to see other dimensions of Flack. And even though they could've done more with the Sam and IAB storylines, I think what was shown ultimately did add to the character and help flesh him out.

Adam had some good development as well, and it was interesting to him in the field more often and also to see different sides to him in "Green Piece" and in "The Party's Over," especially with the implication that he could have some OCD tendencies.

Hawkes got more focus as well, but for some reason, I didn't feel that we learned much new about his character even with the background on Kara. I think what is missing for Hawkes is a more obvious and somewhat unique relationship with someone else on the team. He is obviously a valued and well-liked colleague who gets along with everyone (and shares a medical background with Sid), but he doesn't seem to have a special and/or deeper connection with any one of them.

For all the screen time that Mac got, I didn't think the character development was that meaningful. It seemed they were going for a kinder and gentler version, but the evolution was a bit uneven and the motivations for some of his actions were murky.

Stella got her share of screentime as well, and the Greek coin storyline including the potential conflict with Mac seemed promising. I really hope the wrap up goes well, especially since apprently MK is writing it, but
    I am somewhat skeptical because it seems like they might be cramming too much into one episode -- the resolution of the coin case, the Mac/Stella conflict (and resolution?) and some background on Stella's family.
    We'll see soon enough.

As far as events, Danny and Lindsay had some major ones this season, but it remains to be seen (to me at least) whether these changes will reallly translate to meaningful development. Too much was glossed over (the Rikki issue, the decision to marry, etc.) in an apparent desire to accelerate the storyline.

And despite his prominence in a few cases, I didn't think Sid had that much development this season.

7. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I think in overall development, I would pick Flack, with the bringing in of his sister as well as the new romance with Angell, we are really seeing a softer, brotherly side of Flack that we hadn't seen before....but there have been sooooo many moments for other characters that were just amazing. Seeing Adam with that little boy and finding out he dealt with OCD when he was younger (coupled with an abusive father) was great for his character; Sid's behavior in the episode with the coroner (whose name I'm totally blanking on:p) was also revealing to the character and really let both actors shine with what little material they had been given. Same goes with Hawkes and the storyline with Kira, along with several other instances this season where we've seen more of his personality, like how he felt about Danny and the Blue Flu and the way he tried to help out the girl who had killed her stalker in a recent episode.

Flack was one I think that really had the most development, but I think at least Hawkes and Adam had several defining moments, which I hope to see more of soon. :bolian:

8. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

i agree with the lot of you guys that Flack, Hawkes and Adam have had the most character development. they've gotten great scenes and great stories.

Flack i was so happy to see get a good story with his sister. we always knew he was a caring guy but seeing him with try to help Sam just really pushed that fact. even the ep where he gets questioned by the IAB was great for him b/c we got to learn about him through the other characters and their views on what type of a person he is.

Hawkes i'm liking more and more of him. i didn't like his storyline in "Sex Lies and Silicone" but after that Hawkes was given some great material especially with the storyline with his ex-girlfriend.

Adam is just awesome. i'm so glad that TPTB decieded to make him a regular character. he gets funnier and more incredible with every ep he's in. i think we've gotten more growth out of Adam in one season then we have the other characters over 5 seasons.

9. Mynerva24

Mynerva24 Witness

Adam - he's emotional, caring (regarding Party's over), funny, nervous, happy, sad - in other words, he's the most humane of all the characters.

Doc - the case with Kara, which later, affected how he react toward Katherine McPhee's character, proved he's not a all-about-business-and-work man.

Sid - the case with Pino, we got to see serious Sid who i bet a very good father.

Flack - the big brother figure is brought up through Sam's appearance, and of course, the relationship with Angell.

Stella - regarding the coin case so far, i think, we got to see more of Stella. I still think she's a bit OCC lately, but maybe, that's the development *shrug*

Mac, Danny, and Lindsay's characters has also developed. But, i don't know... *another shrug*

10. Dusk

Dusk Victim

I'd say Hawkes, definitely, he's had some great stuff to work with this season. I enjoyed seeing his principles in 'Sex, Lies and Sillicone', and then the other side of him in 'Help', with Kara. I also like how that seemed to carry on affecting him, for instance in 'Prey', where he basically gave Odessa a get out of jail free card - after having sat in the background and occasionally provided pieces of trivia, I love getting to see his morals and the way he thinks.

Close second is Adam. Well, to start with, there's been more of him, which is always a good thing! And I really liked the way his backstory was hinted at in 'The Party's Over' (still forming my own theories about that), and then of course in 'Green Piece' when he got to be the hero. I also like how he seems to have gained a lot more respect at the lab and become more self-confident around the others. I was grinning when he managed to get Mac to bump fists with him in the latest episode! I am extremely glad that the storyline where he supposedly had a crush on Stella was quickly dropped, though ;)

11. Mynerva24

Mynerva24 Witness

Same here! His interaction with Mac seems to make the older man loosen up a bit! Gotta take a lot courage to do that with a man like Mac. :thumbsup:
    And the crush-thingy, i'm glad it was dropped, too. It'll make him a bit creepy, having a crush on some one older. :)

12. gypsy

gypsy Police Officer

I have to say that I find that Adam has really development well in the episodes that I have seen him in. Partys not over was a good one for me when he was talking to the young lad. That was one great scene

13. Mynerva24

Mynerva24 Witness

When he cried, *sigh*
    I could feel how he felt, having to arrest a child like that...