Grade 'Yahrzeit'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 29, 2009.

?

How would you grade Yahrzeit?

1. A+

52 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. B+

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. B

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Dusk

Dusk Victim

This was definitely the best episode of the season so far, in my opinon. Very powerful, and extremely sad. I was crying from when Mac was watching the testomony about his dad until after it had finished... amazing acting in this one, particularly by Braun. I loved him in his first scene with Mac, and then he turned out to be absolutely evil *shudders*

A+, no question about it.

As proof as to how much I liked it... I've been a member on these forums for nearly a year, and this is the... 4th thing I've actually posted on :p

2. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

A+. Great job done by all on a sad but true subject. It makes the one about the indian tribe appear ridiculous in comparison.

I cried more than once and had to turn away when they shot the family. What a wonderful thing for Mac to hear about his father. Nice moment.

Matt McTighe does a great job as the neo-nazi. Immediate thought when they showed that room at the shop...what a throne to worship at. So twisted.

Also loved when he realized who all he would be "keeping company with" if Mac pushed to put him back in jail. I guess the lawyer won't be an issue now. :lol:

I am loving the new Danny...even when he reverts to his roots and smacks Michael Elgers head against the floor, multiple times. What a hothead!!! Don't worry Danny lovers...he's still in there. He's just learning to control it a bit better.

Underlying theme to this show...transparency. Anyone else get it?

Felt so sorry for Abraham's son. What poetic justice to have his son be living the Jewish faith and have to look at it every day.

Now I gotta pick on a couple of things:

Nice to see that Melina's breasts were appropriately contained this episode. Her neckline actually got higher as the show progressed and by the end she was even covered up in a jacket. Sorry...had to get that in because of all times this was not one to be distracted by her plunging necklines.

Danny has two weeks off and Mac pats him on the arm and walks away. WHAT??? We have Lindsay out, Sheldon at a funeral, and Danny on suspension and Mac is as calm as I have ever seen him. I guess since he has bonded with Adam over a fist-bump things will be fine? I wouldn't want to be Adam for the next few days. He's going to be a very busy boy.

3. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I would have to give this episode an A+. It's been the best episode of the season so far.:thumbsup:

4. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I have to say that this is honestly my favorite episode of CSI:NY period. It was amazingly emotional, intense, and powerful. I was in tears by the end when Mac was watching the testimonial from the man his dad had saved. Then the last scene with Hannah was so moving and wonderfully done that the tears just kept on coming.

Sheldon's scenes were so touching also. I have to admit I've never been a big fan of Sheldon but last night his performance moved me and made me realize what a great, interesting character he is.

I loved the intensity in everyone's faces when Braun was being interviewed and I have to say that it was just plain evil the way that man went from playing innocent to saying "we should've killed them all"; made my skin crawl.

Flack had some great lines like "I don't speak ignorant" and I loved Sid's comment on Pluto. I am also very fond of Pluto.

Loved it :)

5. kinehelene

kinehelene Hit and Run

I gave this episode an A+. This is one of the best ep of CSI NY.
    It was interessting and sad. I have always tought History to be interessting and The World War 2 is some of my main classes next year.
    So that they had an episode revolving that was cool.
    And puting real video of the victims of the war. it was realy moving and i almost startet to crie :(.

6. CCA

CCA Police Officer

Okay two things...Hawks was coming to Michigan that made me scream lol come on dropping my state name always makes me happy...(I'm a geek that way) and on top of it they had a model name Cody...and she was female! You know how rare that is!!! Gee can you guess what my real name is lol!

But besides that, I thought the episode was really good, it held my interest and I thought it touched based with something that transpired so many years ago but still such a twisted disgusting part of our history. I thought the writing was very good and even when it came to the skinhead they didn't hold back and I thought that was good. Because it was more believeble.

Anyways I really enjoyed the story

7. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

If i remember correctly (i haven't taken German in a couple years), das messer means knife. That's the first thing I thought when I learned his last name was Messer :lol:

8. DMandLM4ever

DMandLM4ever Civilian

I absolutley loved this episode.
    I dont know why though.

9. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

The result was very good and interesant. It was played exellent. What has only disturbed me. The Mac's father and Elgers still too young were to be had experienced around this so. The war is over since 1945. These are, at least, approx. 64 years.

10. CSI Cupcake

How old do you think Mac is? I suspect he is somewhere around 45-50 which is consistent with having a father that could have served in WWII. As for Elgers, it doesn't matter how old or young he is. For him it is a choice of who/what he wants to be.

11. Axatullux

Axatullux Lab Technician

This episode gets an A+ because of the way it was written and the intensity of the story and how it led up to the present conclusion. I was in tears at the end of the episode with Hannah's cousin with Mac performing a celebration ritual at the end and along with the Holocaust survivor and her both telling of how Admiral Boyd Taylor (Mac's father) was among the rescuers who helped liberate Buchenwald just made my Adam's Apple tighten up. :(

I cried as the episode's story sunk in as I went to bed knowing that such evil really did occur and is only two generations removed from mines and that such even worse cruelty has occured since this dark chapter such as 1970s Cambodia and 1994 Rwanda both of which were like slasher/gore horror movies occurring in real life. :(:(:(:(At the same time, it was also tear-jerking knowing that heroes actually helped put an end to such atrocities even if they were aligned with sides the U.S. is/was at odds with. Vietnam brought down Pol Pot in 1979, only a few years after we fought them. I won't go further from there.:(:(:(:(

'Yahrzeit' is a fabulous but really heavy episode that made me cry.

Michael Elger made for a great albeit hideous foil for Danny Messer's short temper. Ultimately, despite his hideous and violent prejudice that drives his views of non-whites, Elger turns out to be a small baddie despite his terrifying persona.

The real culprit really shocked me.

Ed Asner was absolutely fabulous in this episode. He was a natural actor for the role of seamingly benevalent Abraham who ultimately actually turns out to be a former member of the Hitler Youth named Klaus Braun who betrayed several victims by telling them he was going to rescue them only to drive them to Auschwitz and he managed to cover this up for 67 years. The way he wore the facade of a benevolent old man to mask the hideous spiritual void he/was absolutely terrified and angered me. :mad::eek::mad::eek:

I became familiar with Asner for his role in voicing Hudson from Disney's Gargoyles a decade ago for those old enough to remember that show.

The conclusion of the the footage of a Holocaust survivor telling of an American Marine who helped liberate the camp turned out to be Mac's father and the ceremony with the elderly survivor made me cry when the credits rolled. :):(:):(

Even the preview of Linday saying "My water just broke" could not stop the tears because of this episode. :(

TPTB did a marvelous job with this episode. :bolian::(

12. jwells2472

jwells2472 Witness

I wont go into specifics because everyone else pretty much summed up my feelings on this episode, but WOW

This is no doubt one of the best episodes of not only season 5 but best episodes period...

I had this feeling in my gut watching the whole thing that it was gonna get me. And boy did it get me. (Takes alot for a movie or show to deeply affect me emotionally)
    I was bawling at the end...1st time I've ever cried during an episode of CSI

Favorite parts:

1. Mac taking the jewelry to the holocaust victims relative and Mac in a yamaka...:thumbsup:

2. Adam/Mac - the fist bump just shot that ship right to the top of my faves:guffaw:

3. Danny slamming that Aholes face into the floor and Sheldon keeping his cool.

A+A+A+A+ Loved it

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A

Great episode and a nice change of pace for CSI: NY. I like how the story in the past got enough time devoted to it to really make an impact--it wasn't just glossed over or a quick backstory. I realize it's difficult to make time for big emotional stories every week, so it's especially nice when there is an opportunity to fit it in.

It's great to see hotheaded Danny rushing to the defense of his friend, but he's been so reckless this season. I can't help but wonder if he's headed for a fall. By all rights he really should be.

I thought Hawkes was way more serene about the vile Elgers rhetoric than most would be, but that's Hawkes--he rises above. And really, he's right--the racism is Elgers' problem, not his.

That guy who plays Elgers, Matt McTighe, is just great. He's really good at being really evil. I love when Flack goes up against him, though Flack trying to claim he resisted arrest kind of made me chuckle. Elgers was vile, he spit at an officer, but he didn't resist arrest. Flack would say anything in defense of Danno, wouldn't he? :p I'm surprised there wasn't a repeat performance given the way Elgers was mouthing off about Danny. :p ;)

Asner was great--love how he transitioned from sympathetic to utterly sinister when he got called out. Very nicely done.

Just a great, great episode.

14. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

Don't forget - he's between girlfriends now, so he's got some extra time that he can spend at work :p

I will post more later. I am still too emotional, and dang, if Lost doesn't stop running till 10:02, I will :scream:. I changed it over (well, Hubby did) in the middle of the opening credits. :shifty:

15. CSI Cupcake

Oh that's right FlackFan01. I completely forgot. Next episode we will see that Adam has been camping out at the lab and is wandering around muttering to himself. No wonder Lindsay has to grab him by the shirt to make him understand that she's serious!:lol::lol:

Sorry, don't mean to take away from the thread. I'll say it again. This is one of the best CSI episodes I have seen in a long time. The tone was just right and it was amazing how they tied the past and present together, letting us know that it lives on.

My father is a WWII veteran who served overseas but was not in Europe. He doesn't talk about it much, nor do my uncles or my husband's uncles. It was nice that Mac got that bit in about his father not mentioning anything about his experience. I, too, had to go to the library to find out exactly what part my father had in the war and how it fit into the big picture.