American Idol

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by ziggystarduzt, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Who else was in the Rat Pack besides Frank? :lol:

So, who do you think will sing Strangers In The Night? My guess would be Matt. :lol:

Adam could do "mac the knife". :lol:

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

The rat Pack was made up of Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Dean Martin, Joey Bishop, and Peter Lawford.

The following are the Top 20....but who knows what is on the list the contestants get to choose from.

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
    Try:

I'll Always Love You (Day After Day) - Dean Martin
    Mr. Bojangles - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    I'm Gonna Live Till I Die - Frank Sinatra
    Rhythm Of Life - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Ain't That A Kick In The Head - Dean Martin
    Too Close For Comfort - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    That Old Black Magic - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Somewhere There's A Someone - Dean Martin
    Me And My Shadow - Frank Sinatra
    Lady Is A Tramp - Sammy Davis, Jr. or the Sinatra version
    Innamorata (Sweetheart) - Dean Martin
    (Love Is) The Tender Trap - Frank Sinatra
    Something's Gotta Give - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Volare - Dean Martin
    Mr. Success - Frank Sinatra
    A Lot Of Livin' To Do - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    You Make Feel So Young - Frank Sinatra
    Shelter of Your Arms - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Sam's Song - Dean Martin
    When You're Smiling - Dean Martin
    My Shining Hour - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    That's Amore - Dean Martin
    My Shining Hour - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    The Lady Is A Tramp - Frank Sinatra
    Guys & Dolls - Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin
    The Birth Of The Blues - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Little Ole Wine Drinker Me - Dean Martin
    I've Gotta Be Me - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You - Dean Martin
    Chicago - Frank Sinatra
    This Guy's in Love with You - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Powder Your Face With Sunshine - Dean Martin
    What Kind of Fool Am I? - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Hey There - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Witchcraft - Frank Sinatra
    Have A Little Talk With Myself - Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Eee-O Eleven - Sammy Davis, Jr.

3. GregNickRyanFan

I thought Dean Martin was in there. :lol:

ETA: Randy said Adam's performance was good but a little too theatrical for his tastes. Then Simon said: "That's like complaining that a cow moos." :guffaw: :guffaw: That's like the funniest thing ever. :lol:

Okay, :wtf: was up with Paula's dress? It looked like she had a big giant bow wrapped around her. That was so weird looking. :lol:

The performances:

Kris - good job.

Alison- I thought she did really well. I hope she's not the one to go home.

Matt - pitchy and I dunno kind of boring for me. I liked the last note though.

Danny- AWESOME. As much as I'm not loving Jamie Foxx at the moment, he did give Danny good advice. Danny knocked it out of the ballpark. That was just incredible!

Adam- It was good, but like Randy said a little theatrical with the entrance and all. I felt like I was watching a Rock Opera. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but anyway...

As for who is going home... I kind of think Matt, but it could be Alison though I hope not.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  4. jwells2472

jwells2472 Witness

Kris was most certainly on his game tonight, he's my new fave since Anoop has left:scream::(
    Over all I think they all did a great job, as they should, last 5 is no place for dropping the ball.
    Adam had the best performance stage-wise.
    Allison was terrific
    Matt was okay, not one of his best
    Danny reminded me back to when I thought he had this whole thing already won back in hollywood auditions!

5. matt729

matt729 Dead on Arrival

All of them did a good job last night. I think we all know who will win so the rest are going for #2!

6. Della

Della Police Officer

Kris: I think I’m turning into Simon Cowell, because this is going to hurt to be so harsh. Maybe I’m in a bad mood and don’t know it? *shrug* But anyway, this was boring. I yawned. Yes he hit the notes, but I got absolutely nothing whatsoever from his performance. Nothing! Nada! Zilch! I couldn’t even get up enough gumption to really dislike it because it was that bland and, thankfully, instantly forgettable.

Allison: Knowing she was going to sing “Someone to Watch Over Me” scared the living sh*te out of me (I was already getting a bit upset thinking she was going home), because it had to be a semi-pure vocal performance, and that’s what scared me, but, good golly miss molly, she blew me away. Loved, loved, loved it.

Kara STFU!! PLEEEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!! Allison is not a “rock chick”, she’s a wonderful grinding blues, soulful chick. So please, someone gag Kara (please, please please) and another someone needs to tell Allison that she needs to stick to the grinding blues and not try to “rock it up”.

Matt: I don’t know what’s going on with Matt but, for me, this was not good at all. Maybe I was thinking of Melinda Doolittle’s version, which blew me away, but this? This was horrible. To be honest, he was out of tune so many times that when he hit the right note, that’s when it sounded out of tune to me. It was the wrong song choice, the wrong song for his voice and badly performed. Worst of the evening I’m afraid.

Danny: I’m hoping that my thoughts on this performance aren’t influenced by the fact that Danny is my ultimate favourite performer. Still, as far as I’m concerned, his performance was just about perfect. I’m not a fan of the Rat Pack, but Danny putting a soulful, grinding blues touch to the song just blew me away. He hit every note with perfection and also managed to deliver an outstanding performance to boot. Wonderful, wonderful stuff!!

As a side note: Kara is seriously p*ssing me off now. It’s like she tries to somehow take credit for the performance with her drawl/attitude when giving her comment. I just wish they could gloss over her. In all honesty, I didn’t see one iota of swagger from Danny, but I did see some confidence from him which was really nice to see.

Oh and *mourns the loss of the six o'clock shadow* *sniffle* :D

Adam: All my worst fears came to fruition with this performance. My ears threatened to burst and bleed on the penultimate note and that was all I got from it all. I have to be honest, completely honest, and wonder, really wonder what people see in Adam and his vocals. Rock Opera? Yeah, but that’s not a good thing in my book. I can’t stand the stuff. Sings like Axel Rose? Oh yeah, and better to be honest, but then the only good song Gun’s and Roses ever did was “Knocking on Heaven’s Door” and even then Axel did a good job in trying to ruin such a wonderful song.

Adam managed to do much the same with this song, because in my opinion, “Feeling Good” is a wonderful celebratory song about feeling good about things, so, for me, the singing was completely wrong. Mind you, my ears being on the verge of bleeding probably didn’t help what I thought of this performance.

All in all, swagger in abundance from Adam, but for me, so not in a good way. Didn’t like it at all.

As for who's to go home, as sad as this is for me to say because I would like to see Kris go, but Matt should be the one to go because his performance really was the worst.

As to who will go, I'm afraid I agree with Simon, because considering that her fan base seems almost non-existent compared to the others, I think Allison will be going - which will make me seriously grindy-teethy and very sad :(

:)

7. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Kris did good, he really surprised me with this song.

Allison was alright...but I don't really like her voice. I think she's going to be in the bottom and possibly be going home.

Matt was alright as well. I think he is on the cusp of going home again.

Danny man did he kick some butt last night! Jamie Foxx's advice was amazing and if Danny keeps listening to that he's going to take it all the way.

Adam did alright, but like Randy says it's consistant...he doesn't change much for his voice and his arangements are sounds a lot alike. Though I did hear on the radio this morning that Adam used the arangement Muse did for that song...hmmm.

8. GregNickRyanFan

Who is Muse?

The new issue of TV Guide has an interview with Simon Cowell. In it he puts the odds at 55/45 of Danny beating Adam. He says he definitely thinks it'll be those two in the finale. He doesn't think Alison has enough personality.

9. Della

Della Police Officer

Muse are a British Rock{????????) group with a bit of a twist.

Here's a youtube link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp3_a-PMTw

and if you like them here's a link to a Muse Youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/muse

I think you might like them to be honest GNR Fan.

:)

Edited to add: Here's a youtube link to Muse's version of "Feeling Good" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inW91qRDGwI

After hearing it, it wouldn't surprise me if Adam has been influenced by the lead singer of this group because all of the dramatic intakes of breath are there. In all honesty, I prefer Muse because there's no screeching whatseover. :D :p - chuckle. I have to say also that there are lots of similarities between Adam and the lead singer of Muse, as far as saying that Adam is rather a copycat version. *shrug*

10. GregNickRyanFan

Thanks, Della. I'm not familiar with a lot of British musicians. I listened to their version of the song Adam sang. I liked it, and dramatic intakes of breath aside, I don't really think he sounds that much like Adam. But, I do agree its possible that's the version Adam patterned his after.

11. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I loved these songs from the old days, and Frank Sinatra sang alot of these original ballads, and a bit of trivia, the remake of the old movie actually starred William Petersen as JFK who also hung out with the original "Rat Pack" here's a video a quck clip of the 1998 movie~

http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi3841065241/

CHRIS 'The Way You Look Tonight" a Frank song, nice smooth rendition~

ALLISON Someone To Watch Over Me" done by Frank, Ella and Rod Stewart. Fantastic version so perfect, she can sing anything:bolian:

KRIS "My Funny Valentine" also Frank. I didn't particulary care for his rendition, it was good, but not great!

DANNY "I'm Gonna Love You, Come Rain Or Come Shine" He's got a great voice, good rendition, I wished he had Adams' stage presence~

ADAM "You Know How Feel" OMG, another killer, out of this world ballad, tremendous, such strong stage persona, he knows he's good, and he's got such a swagger. and that white suit so Vegas then.. and so confidant, there's no one like him in this contest, fantastic. that voice:eek:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  12. GregNickRyanFan

Adam was in the bottom two? [​IMG] Danny and Alison were both shocked. Danny and Kara both had this expression: [​IMG]

I knew Matt would be the one to leave, but I expected Alison to be in the bottom three with Kris and Matt. I can't believe it was Adam. What a shocker.

Next week: Rock-N-Roll week. I wonder who the mentor will be.

13. Della

Della Police Officer

I was pretty much gobsmacked as well to see Adam in the bottom three and then in the bottom two, but probably for a different reason to others because I'm pretty much okay with him being there. I was gobsmacked because I never thought the American public would ever have Adam in the bottom three, and then two.

To be honest though, I never for one moment thought he was going home, so it wasn't at all a surprise when Matt was sent packing.

All in all, I'm hoping that with Adam being in the bottom three and then two, it will give him such a severe kick in the pants that he will now start to think about his performances and instead of pantomiming his way through the songs he picks, he will instead actually think about the content and the context of the songs and deliver something that I, being a member of the audience, can connect with.

For me, he's so far delivered some okayish (if you like his sort of thing) aesthetic pantomime jobs on stage, (and at some point in each song, barring one, some excruciatingly painful to hear notes as well). Still, I really hope he does think about what he's doing and does deliver something that means something to him (which I think is the imortant thing) and not just play up to the audience and screech his falseto.

14. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

:guffaw: Della you have been reading my mind!

It was crazy to see Adam get moved from the high group to the low group...but I agree that perhaps he will take more time in preping his song choices and vocals.

15. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Having ADAM in the bottom was I think for shock value, stupid:vulcan:, I was stunned, and knew he wouldn't get booted, beings he's the best on ths show. And then they put him back, He will be the winner, I've predicted this from the beginning, he's got the voice, the pazazz, the sparkle, and the whole stage presence, that it takes to be an American Idol:thumbsup: my opinion~

Last edited: May 1, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.