The Fan Art Forum Guide - Rules/Tuts./Questions *updated 10-05

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by cofi_shot, Oct 1, 2006.

1. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Thanks! I checked them out, and am definitely getting the hang of this (or so I hope). This is probably gonna sound like a pretty stupid question, but my Gimp help file is refusing to download to my computer (it keeps complaining about how the folder names are invalid) and I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to change fonts and font sizes. How do you do this on Gimp? I have multiple fonts on my computer, but when I add text, I can't figure out how to change the font on that text. There's an option to 'open' a file there, but as soon as I click on a font that I've downloaded, Gimp and X11 close entirely. When I click on the 'Fonts' folder that came with the laptop, I get an error message. Also, has anyone had similar experiences with the Gimp help file just not working? That part is really irritating me right now.

2. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Ouch what version of GIMP do you have?

GIMPs help files I haven't actually bothered to use them *checks* It doesn't work for me either, I get an error message too :confused: *shrugs* Never need to use it so it's not been a problem for me.

Erm for fonts and sizes you don't need to go to 'open' a file to change these. Are you seeing this toolbox?:
    [​IMG]
    Let me know and then you can go on from there.
    Are you opening this via GIMP or manually, what does the error message say?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. fatalze

fatalze Rookie

Not a stupid question at all! I've been using Photoshop/Paintshop Pro/other graphics programs for years and I still have trouble with GIMP lol.

I think to change the font, you need to see your Tool Options in the window that is to the left of your image (unless you moved it). Like in this image.

You choose your font by pressing that button that has the Aa on it. You have to choose the font before you type, I think.

The "Open" button you were referring to is actually to open a text document, so that wouldn't work well for choosing a font.

If you are using Windows XP, your fonts should be there after you load GIMP. If you are using Vista, you need to go to your Windows Menu > Control Panel > Appearance and Customization > Install Fonts.. then drag and drop new fonts into there before you can use them.

Hope that helps!

LOL, Soph was faster than me. o_o And her post confused me.. I thought it was mine.. and was like, WHERE DID THAT IMAGE COME FROM OMG?

4. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Sorry Becka! You explaination was alot better than mine :rolleyes: :p.

5. fatalze

fatalze Rookie

Not at all! You use GIMP, so you actually know what you're talking about without guessing. ;D Besides, two answers are still better than one.

6. happyharper13

Thanks so much, guys! I got text added, and now I have one complete icon and a wonderful feeling of completion :)

One more question (though it probably won't be the last at this rate ;/) -- How do you make vertical text on Gimp, in terms of both text where the letters themselves go down but are all facing upright, and in terms of tilting text?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  7. Hannah06_95

Hannah06_95 Police Officer

Ok, I've got a question! I need help sizing a picture for a signature banner. If i have a big picture that is 500x280 if i'm making an icon i normally make a crop box of 240x240 then scale the image to 140x140 or 100x100 which means i can have quite a big bit of the picture in a small box, but when i'm trying to scale an image for an signature banner i can't get the depth to 75 pixels unless i make the pic tiny meaning normally cutting a persons head in half!
    Is this making any sense! If anyone can understand what i'm talking about and can tell me how to make a picture 220x75 without cutting someones head in half that would be great! :)

By the way i'm using gimp as my editing program

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Hannah, you can try taking the original and resizing it at this site. Make sure to put the 75 in the first box and the 220 in the second box. Hope that helps. :)

9. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

Normaly I try to have the selection with a big length, so then I scale it to 75 of width and then I just have to crop what exceeds the 200px. I don't know if my explanation is understandable, but if you want I can do some PrintScreen and post here, but GRNF already posted a website where you can do that :)

10. Hannah06_95

Hannah06_95 Police Officer

Ok thank you! I will try the website GNRF gave me. Thanks for the help. :)

11. happyharper13

How do textures work, on either Photoshop or Gimp? (Tutorials would also be helpful.) ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  12. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

Textures are simple to use, you open it Photoshop/GIMP, in photoshop you select it all, copy and Paste on your icon or other thing you're making, in GIMP you just opy and paste in the icon [...], then you have to select the right layer option, you just check out all the option and chose the better ;) In GIMP, make ctrl+l and then chose the right option for the texture you use, you have to be sure that is the texture you want is selected; in photoshop you have some option in your right side, the layer window in the last one, and it's the same thing, be sure that is texture that is selected and chose the layer option.

Hope that helps, I couldn't find any tutorial, if anyone do please share, b/c I've sure is better than mine explaination :p

13. happyharper13

Thanks!

One more question (though I'm sure there will be more in the near future :p) --

I never quite realized that there was a difference between JPEG and PNG, but I noticed that one of my images, which looked fine in the standard photoshop format (.psd) had those extra over-sharpened lines (not quite sure what they're called, but I end up with them when I've oversharpened) when uploaded in JPEG. I resaved the file as a PNG and the lines disappeared and the picture looked more comparable to my .psd version.

So, what format do you guys find it best to save in once you're ready to post a piece of fanart? And what exactly is the difference between PNG and JPEG (as well as between any of those and other formats you've found useful)?

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, I use jpeg cause that resize2mail site won't work with pngs. I never saw any lines or anything with jpegs. The only difference I noticed is that pngs are bigger pic wise, take up more room and look a little bit clearer sometimes. If you use pngs for your VLC caps and then upload to photobucket, you will run out of room very quickly (so I've heard). I had the caps set on pngs at first until someone told me that and then I changed it to set it on jpegs.

15. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

Yeah, basically what ^ she said. png is better quality, but slightly bigger file size. I used to use .jpg, but whenever I uploaded them to photobucket, they lost some of the colour (faded). I switched to .png and haven't had that problem since.