H/Cal #5 - DuCaine...Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by SpeedsDaughter, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Stepherweps

Stepherweps The Resident Gleek Premium Member

Guys, just a little reminder about the 3 lines of ontopic discussion per post.

Thanks.

2. EmeraldEyes06

EmeraldEyes06 Lab Technician

Merry Christmas DuCainers!! :D Feels great to be back. I've been studying so hard and now I'm on a break. :)

From what I can tell, things have been pretty quiet, haven't they? Apart from that small scene in the beginning of 'Gone, Baby Gone'. Would you believe I teared up a little when I realised they were in the same room? :p They have that effect on me... House and Cuddy are the same in 'Joy', so emotional. *sniff*

Anyhoo, I have been keeping fairly up to date with the goings on in the world of CSI: Miami, and doing my best to avoid the spoiler lab.(Not!! :guffaw:)

When I read episode details of 'Smoke Gets in Your CSIs'... heart-attack!! */\__/\__/\__/\_/\_/\_/\_/\_/\/\/\/\/\/\/\______________* (That's me flat-lining by the way!! :lol:)

I'll put in a spoiler box here...

Calleigh gets put in the hospital after inhaling poisonous smoke!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: My heart stopped when I read those words. Haven't they put Calleigh through enough torment? Apparently not. :rolleyes: *grumble*

On the flip-side, this may be the opportunity we've all been waiting for when Horatio finally acknowledges this estrangement between himself and Calleigh, and he actually comforts her or tells her it's going to be okay. He went to see Eric in the hospital, why not Calleigh? But the writers tend to see it differently... :(

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. Could anyone be so desperate to see their 2 favourite characters inteact that they would put one of them in the hospital?? :wtf:

If there is not a single word exchanged between Horatio and Calleigh in this episode, HEADS WILL ROLL!!! :evil: :evil:

Now my little rant's over, time to talk about some sweet H/C moments!! Alrighty then! Let's remember 'Broken'. :) :)

After 6 episodes you could see the chemistry between the 2 of them, especially when they were alone. Calleigh's 'Hello, Handsome' to Horatio(how could we forget?!! :D) spoke of deeper feelings that went beyond friendship. I also remember their conversation when the first suspect was in custody about child molestors. I felt that they touched on a topic that they both felt strongly about, especially about saving the children by taking people like Stuart Otis off the streets. They had a common goal that bound them together in that episode both professionally and personally. They connected with each other on many levels in 'Broken' that was amazing to watch.

Here's a brief transcript of the conversation I mentioned earlier:

(Horatio steps out of the interview room. He immediately encounters Calleigh.)

CALLEIGH: Horatio?

HORATIO: Yeah?

(He holds the door open for her and they walk into the observation room.)

CALLEIGH: He was playing pocket pull just before the alarms went full blast.
    On camera the whole time.

HORATIO: On camera the whole time.

(They both look at Brad Repkin in the next room.)

CALLEIGH: But he still violated parole. He is still going back to prison.

HORATIO: He is not our guy, then. Do you know how many children a pedophile
    molests during a lifetime on average?

CALLEIGH: No.

HORATIO: Well, a recent study says 150. One hundred and fifty.

CALLEIGH: What if they're caught?

HORATIO: Down to 65.

CALLEIGH: Then we can still save 85 children.

(Horatio sighs and looks at Calleigh. He looks back at Brad.)

HORATIO: Let's work for that.

(Horatio turns and leaves.)

And I wouldn't be a DuCaine fan if I didn't mention the wonderful sleeping scene. :) You'd have to wonder how long Horatio had been standing there. What was his reaction when he first laid eyes on her? What was he thinking? Did he watch her for a moment? The scene was romantic in itself, with the low lighting, Horatio softly saying her name and then leaning close to whisper in her ear, "What would you like in your coffee?" :D That was a moment that forever stuck with me as a shining example of the precious moments in their relationship, and it was a light in the dark of an episode whose subject matter was dark and twisted. I'll be the first to admit that I still get teary-eyes when I watch it. It still packs a punch like it did back then. Anyway, enough with the episode analysis, back to the H/C! :p :lol:
    Even though she was a bit embarassed at falling asleep primarily, Calleigh maintained her professionalism in front of Horatio, but at the end she couldn't help reacting to that bit of closeness. Her smile said it all. She enjoys his company, and vice versa. She's able to make him laugh, a rare sight for Horatio Caine.
    And it is that reason why I think Calleigh is perfect for Horatio. She is one of the few people apart from Horatio's family and Marisol in a way that can get close to Horatio(well, at least she could in the sadly missed good old days of yore...). She is able to match him on a professional level and well able to push him enough(e.g, 'After the Fall', where she persuades him to let her look at the case-file for the assault charge against him.) They have both had bad relationships in the past, both are devoted to their jobs, both care about their families, both are relentless in their pursuit of justice, both are caring, compassionate and loving people
    Bottom line: they are a match made in Heaven.

Here's a few screencaps from 'Broken' for ol' time's sake. :):

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/... Breathless/CSI Miami - Broken/broken_099.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/... Breathless/CSI Miami - Broken/broken_127.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/... Breathless/CSI Miami - Broken/broken_112.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/... Breathless/CSI Miami - Broken/broken_135.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/... Breathless/CSI Miami - Broken/broken_149.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/... Breathless/CSI Miami - Broken/broken_163.jpg

Though it seems we have been abandoned, in the end, we will always have fanvideos and fanfiction to fall back on. I for one would be happy to read well-written, believable stories about H and Cal rather than wishing for interaction between them an being disappointed. There's only so much a fan can take after all.

Speaking of fanfiction, I would definitely reccommend HCrazy's amazing DuCaine fanfiction to chase away the blues. She has started posting 'Totally Twisted', which looks totally brilliant!! :)

So here's hoping the new year will bring new DuCaine moments. :) See you all again!! :D

3. bringirl2001

bringirl2001 Hit and Run

Hi guys - long time since i have been here- but i am teaching school and also going back to college to wrok on my sixth year- so yeah- a LOT has been going on- however i have still been reading my ducaine fanfics and still watching seasons 1 and 2- ducaine was so special then and i can't help but hope for the future- hang in there- I also love the mvids on you tube so more soon
    H crazy and others great manips and scenes from previous shows- we need to keep up the encouragement:lol::bolian:

4. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

I't been ages since I last came here, but the new year is very close & we can hope for something good for our DuCaine to come!
    I know things look pretty bad for this couple also in terms of simple friendship, but hey we can always hope for something good next year.
    BTW, happy new year to everybody! :D

Well, actually they shared another scene together in "Tipping Point" and I know why they shared a scene like that one :devil:. Just look how she's dressed and you all understand why I'm telling this!!!

You're not the only one who flatlined reading the spoilers :lol:
    I don't know whethere we will actually see them sharing a scene together, especially at the hospital. All I know is that this episode should show the real intention of TPTB in terms of shipping.
    Hope things will turn out in a good way for DuCaine just because they need a scene together & I know they could give us something really good! If only they had a scene together!!

Oh those sweet DuCainer moments!!! I missed them so much! I loved s1 just for those moments, I still can't believe we don't have them anymore :rolleyes:

Oh guys, I love all your manips and I so can't wait to see something more!!! It's always great stuff!
    No matter if this ship will sink, we still have fanart!!!

5. DuCaineluvr93

DuCaineluvr93 Witness

okay i just saw episode 7X12 and they spoke to each other!!!!:):):):):):)

6. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

:brickwall:
    How sad that TPTB have manipulated the characters to the point that viewers get excited at the prospect of Horatio and Calleigh sharing a scene or actually speaking to one another; exactly the opposite of their relationship in earlier years. It's as unnatural as trying to force chemistry where none exists.

7. lexxy_willows

lexxy_willows Police Officer

Hello. I don't think I've ever posted here before, but I feel that I have too. I absolutely adore Horatio and Calleigh. I think it's pretty sad what's happened to their relationship, to the point where it barely exists anymore. If only TPTP would bring back the flirty-ness they used to have, the show would be all that much better.

I hope we get to see them in a scene where they have more than one line sometime soon.

8. CSIloverZed

CSIloverZed Hit and Run

well, it has been a long time since anyone has posted... I still love DuCaine but I don't think the show will put them together. which totally sucks!!

9. lexxy_willows

Just some quick thoughts about the past couple of episodes.

1) A couple of episodes back, I think H and Cal had 2 scenes together. Real scenes where they conversed and looked at each other. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming :lol:

2) In the season finale, when they found the car with Eric's father, and they couldn't find Eric, I thought Horatio was a little bit uncaring, almost. When Calleigh said they couldn't loes Eric, H could have hugged her, or at least touched her shoulder. But he went off and looked into the distance? Calleigh needs comfort, and I hope (probably false hope, but...) that Horatio will be there for her.

10. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

Hey everyone! Just wanted to see if there were any DuCaine fans still hanging out here? I haven't watched the show since the Season 6 Finale, but I recently caught this year's final ep. by accident, and actually liked it (despite no DuCaine :( ) Since then, I've been watching some clips online, and I have to say some of the eps look good. I don't know how they turned out in terms of DuCaine (I know E/C is getting a lot of play and is pretty much a lock right now in the show), but I was hoping H and Cal would have a nice scene or two.

I guess what I'm ultimately saying, and have said since Season 6, is that TPTB should be able to show two people of the opposite sex caring for each other without having to necessarily hook them up. While I love DuCaine as a couple, I never really expected a full-blown romance (like they've done w/E/C) b/c of what it would do to the character's integrity, that it would be too over-the-top, etc. I miss the first few seasons when men and women CSIs could care about each other w/out having all this "drama" of "will they/won't they" involved. Why can't TPTB show H caring for Calleigh at her bedside? Are they afraid this will take away from their current romance plot? Why? It's just two people who love each other - it doesn't mean they're going to get married for pete's sake! Just show the concern and care that we know is there. I don't know if they did this or not in "Backfire" Or "Smoke Gets in Your CSIs", but if they did I feel like this board would've been way more active and mentioned it. If they did, I stand corrected and would love to see it! :) Let me know! OK. End of Rant. Good to be back ;)

Anyway, I was thinking up a scene for "When smoke gets in Your CSIs" if anyone's interested. I've only seen clips, but it looks like H and Cal didn't get a scene together in that ep - did they? Anyhow, if anyone's still here and still interested, please post! I know it's been a rough go for DuCaine fans, but we gotta keep the love alive :) Take it easy!

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  11. alexa

alexa Witness

no they didnt!
    i miss watching this 2 as close friend too but now with all E&C thing they put Call far far away from all males! (When they thought that AR will leave..you can see some scenes with her& Jesse (the new guy). But then with the return of AR she returned to calleigh-just-hav-scenes-with-eric. and now they are slowly building a friendship between Nat and H (I really like them together).

I like ducaine! I'm not a support but I like them! lool they are so warm togther.

12. lexxy_willows

I was watching "Kill Zone" the other day, and it just hit me how much I miss these two together. Yes, I do wish they were together romantically, but I would settle for one scene. Calleigh and Horatio have probably had about 5 scenes together the past 3 seasons. It's to the point where I'm excited when they say each other's names. I mean, I know Calleigh's with someone else, but why should that change her working relationship with Horatio? I just don't get it.

13. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Hi. Never been here before, but I found something classy about DuCaine. I'll never forget that scene in "Breathless" when Calleigh looks straight into his eyes and says "Me personally? Leather chaps. Nothing else. It was a joke." Horatio never misses a beat. "I know." That scene still cracks me up to this day.
    In that case, I think I'll go look for some DuCaine fanfics. :thumbsup:

14. miamirocks

Hello everyone - let's keep the DuCaine love alive! :bolian: Here's to hoping H and Cal will have some "real" scenes this season! (Like maybe more than just a few words on what Cal found out in the ballistics lab :scream:)

Welcome, Jag Lady - thanks for paying us a visit, and recognizing how awesome DuCaine was back in the day :). (I agree w/Lexxy_Willows on the older shows and how great our pair was back then - it's hard to repeat the chemistry that was there in the early seasons, but if they would only give them some screen time that was a little deeper then "I'll run this to trace ...." :rolleyes: I mean, look at how much Cal has been through over the past few years.

I think TPTB did a bit of a better job in Season 7 (from what I saw - I'm still catching up on the eps) in making H more of a presence when Cal is hurt or whatnot. When I saw the look on H's face at the hospital during "When Smoke Gets In Your CSIs," I was hopeful there would be a scene to go with it, but alas, it was left unresolved ... again. I was hoping for a scene between H and Cal like the one that Alexx and H had in that same episode - doesn't H care for Cal as much as he does for Alexx, if not moreso? I just don't get it.

It was the same thing in "Wrecking Crew" - H is talking to Eric about what happened to the witness, and he asks Eric if Calleigh is OK - I was like, 'Hmm...well, why don't you go ask her yourself - you're her boss? Isn't it your job to make sure she's OK?" :brickwall:

OK, sorry for some negative vibes there - just had to vent. I'm trying to be more positive since I do like the eps in Season 7 so far, and I know H and Cal have some scenes together at the end of Season 7 and at least in the Season 8 premiere (I haven't seen them yet). I just don't get H's stand-offishness w/Cal. Is he trying to stay out of the way for Eric's sake? Is he worried b/c of the whole Marisol thing and he just doesn't want to put Cal through that? Has he loved her all along but stayed away first b/c he wanted to help Marisol and then b/c he didn't want to hurt Eric? I would at least like to see his reaction to Eric and Cal's relationship - he's so close to Eric, you'd think it would come up at least once. And he also used to be so close to Cal - remember how he stepped in when she was dating Hagen - he was very protective of her. So what changed. What's happened to them? Any thoughts?

I know some have speculated about some off-camera stuff, but I don't want to go there - it's just rumors. I'm more inclined to believe that TPTB have kept them apart (writing wise) to pursue other relationship paths (you know what I mean.) TPTB are notorious for making poor decisions when it comes to characters, I would say since Speed's demise (what a mistake!). Recently I came across this article (I think it was written in March), and they actually asked Emily Procter about why her character never become romantically involved w/Horatio. Here's what Emily said:

"The only reason," she [Emily] says, "I could guess that they didn't put the two of them together would be that he's a really mystical character. If you had him in a personal relationship, inevitably he'd have to expose some of himself, and I just don't think that, as a character, it works.
    "Or I thought maybe it's because it was important that he always have really beautiful girlfriends that got killed.
    "If I were a Floridian, I would not date either Horatio or Calleigh. It would not be a smooth move."

This was a great response, IMHO, b/c it acknowledges that there was/is something between H and Cal, but the writers didn't want to explore it b/c H, of course, would open up to Calleigh and that would expose him more, make him more vulnerable. And you'd have to wonder why that wasn't the same w/H's other girlfriends or with Marisol - why would his being together w/Calleigh force him to "expose some of himself" in a different way? It's b/c Calleigh grounds him, Calleigh makes him "real," and exposes this "mystical" character's soft side. She makes Horatio the Horatio the audience wants to see - a caring, loving, strong, compassionate man - and not the removed/detached "Hero" we'd been seeing for so long. Calleigh, unlike so many others TPTB put H with, makes Horatio HUMAN! And my goodness, we just can't have that can we? LOL :rolleyes:

As for her last comments, I think those were hilarious - that was always the joke around here - if Cal marries H, she's doomed! And if H marries Cal, he's doomed too! But maybe that should be the Series Finale! I mean, there's some high-drama :) Maybe they would kind of cancel each other out so that they'd both survive. That's why none of their relationships ended well - b/c they're supposed to be w/eachother :) Maybe that's why their significant others are always dying or being put in danger :)

Any comments on Emily's comments? I thought they were interesting, and the fact that she spoke to an H/Cal relationship when their on-screen relationship doesn't even exist anymore is pretty nice. At least it shows that someone's paying attention to the entire history of the show (ie: the reporter who intereviewed her - he said that H and Cal have "a nice rapport." :) That's a step in the right direction!)

Just wanted to throw some thoughts out there to keep the DuCaine love alive! :)

15. miamirocks

::BUMP::

Hey everyone! I know there are still DuCaine fans out there - I've seen you all on youtube and such :) - so let's try to keep the DuCaine love alive, even if it's not exactly happening on-screen.

So did anyone see some of the promo pics for the first episode? Horatio is actually acting concerned over Cal - it's really sweet! (Hope that wasn't too "spoilerish," but I wanted to get this ship buzzin' again and the scene I watched showed me some nice (all be it brief) emotional interaction between our dynamic duo, :drool: - something that's been lacking for awhile.

Here's a picture that I don't think is too "spoilerish," but thought you'd like to see - it's for real, I promise! Seriously, check it out - he's actually TOUCHING her :eek: - awww! :) (Maybe someone could just crop ::cough:: ::cough:: something :))

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi_miami/photos/Sneak_Peek/

Also, in watching some of the eps. from Season 7, I did come across some nice scenes between Cal and H - I'm sure it was overshadowed by some other stuff, which is why we may not have caught it the first time around.

But for example, I really LOVED the scene in "Target Specific" (season 7) when Cal gets a gun pointed to her head, and then H saves her, SLAMMING the guy on the hood of the car and roughing him up - he's so protective :adore:

I also loved the scene in "Backfire" (Season 8) when Horatio RUNS into the burning building to save Calleigh - it was so awesome how he asked Ryan, "Where's Calleigh?!" and when Ryan said, "She's still inside!" H makes a bee-line for the house. That brief moment when he's searching for her really was awesome, even if it was short - it was a lot more than we got in Seasons 5-6. :rolleyes: Of course, I wish H would've taken her out instead of the fireman, but that's OK. Also, at least H was at the hospital looking concerned - and the look they shared about the case - you know they can read each other perfectly. Now if only we could get TPTB to see that.

So c'mon DuCaine fans - don't be shy! I know you're out there - don't let what's goin' on on-screen get you down! Let's enjoy our pairing and spread the love ;) Long live DuCaine!:thumbsup: