"If I Had A Hammer…" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I do in fact watch "Cold Case" a favorite, but that hugh rug that Riley was processing, that wouldn't fit into a little box,:confused: that's what I was talking about, I had no idea, they saved all of that, but interesting to know. The team this week all had pretty much the same screen time, that's what I enjoyed, like the CSI's of old, and the perp. did have Cath going in another direction, and Brass set her straight. It was just a stupendous episode.:thumbsup:

2. Fighter

Fighter Lab Technician

I enjoyed this episode, especially liked that in the end it was confirmed that Jeremy was guilty (don't really know why I liked the ending, maybe because IMO it was quite original - usually when there's such a case and new evidence is found, the first convict is finally acquitted). It's good we got to see all the cast, and their screentime was divided rather fairly, but IMO Ray could've been given a smaller role, and someone (coughGregcough) could've spent more time with Cath. But well, I probably shouldn't complain, at least everyone got some decent scenes and the case was a group effort.

I have a problem with that piece of glass found in the girlfriend's car - unless I missed something, that car was used for several years after this breaking-in so are we supposed to believe it wasn't cleaned at all and nobody found this glass? :confused: IMO, it's quite improbable that they managed to find two crucial pieces of evidence after so many years, I can understand the hammer but I'm not sure I get how this glass wasn't thrown away :confused:

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I guess they probably had to roll up the rug to make it fit and probably had plastic over it. But, I guess they might have had to use a bigger box for it though.

Yeah, I'm glad it turned out that Cath and Brass were right the first time. I was a little worried what could happen if the guy was actually innocent. With him mentioning Lindsey it made me worry he would go after her if he got out or something. Glad he's not going anywhere. But, he was a smug one wasn't he? :lol:

4. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

this was one of the BEST CSI episodes of late.

I agree with everyone, Cath was at her finest. I love Catherine-centric episodes when they are like this. She was focused and not overly emotional. She didn't blow up at anyone (not Hodges or even Ecklie :lol: ) She was great.

I love her references to Grissom about looking up and her peeking into his office. 18 years ago he would have been her supervisor. He would have to have signed off on all her evidence. I wonder what Grissom would have thought when they re-opened the case??

As for the perp. He was great too. This was an episode where you weren't sure if he was gulity or innocent. There have been so many advances in DNA collection that people who were put in jail 20 so years ago are now getting exhonorated. You almost belived that possibly he was one of those people. But... as sooon as they found his girlfriend... I KNEW he was guilty and she was in on it. And the boy.. who looked just like him. To me, that's why he wanted to a new trial. To see his son. Anyone else think that?

Again great, great, great episode. Keep them like that, and you won't have viewers turn off the tv. ;)

5. electra

electra Pathologist

For a moment I also believed that Trent was innocent.I was getting ready for a big angsty storyline for Catherine.But this way was better becouse even without all the new technologies,her gut instincts were right.

6. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I don't think Grissom was her supervisor. Back at the beginning of Season 1, Brass was the supervisor of Grave Shift. It had to have been either him or someone who no longer is at the lab. Grissom may have been assistant supervisor, though.

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

That's correct he was in San Francisco, that long ago, teaching classes, that's where he and Sara met..but not 18 years ago, but, he had been in Vegas in some capacity and gambled, earlier for money, he told Cath that and it showed him with the old cronies in a former ep. I think Brass was on the staff back then. Did any one notice how when they showed Cath from 18 years ago, she looked exactly the same.. HMMM, right:rolleyes:. no one stays the same in looks from that long ago, we laughed at that part, but nothings perfect, 100% of the time, still an excellent episode~Here's a history of Grissom's past and his jobs/education etc. before CSI~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_Grissom

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  8. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I thought they actually went back to the Marg 'bad hair days' like from the Bad Boys era. :lol: Especially when they showed the 'younger Cath' through the window.

9. xenon22

xenon22 Victim

"Kent probably wants to know why he got life because of a rock?!?!" The answer : Because Catherine's an idiot!!
    An episode focusing on Marg = crap - I think this was my last CSI episode.

This would have been the perfect opportunity to fire Catherine for having been incompetent all these years. To bad they made the wrong choice for the ending of this episode.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  10. Drumchik

Drumchik Captain

I agree Kaylyne. That was bad hair days. She had it up in a bun over her head and she looked younger.

And OMG, hello good CSI. You are made of epic win. Forensics, ALL the team members participating - THIS is what CSI is about!

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

xenon22, this is the second time I have had to issue this reminder to you regarding Show Criticism It's fine to say a certain aspect of CSI is bad, as long as you don't insult the people who think otherwise, and as long as you actually back up what you say. Jumping in and shouting "Willows sucks!" is not an acceptable form of constructive criticism.

If I have to remind you one more time, I will give you an official warning.

12. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

All in all, I'd say this was a pretty good episode. I like that they were able to revisit an old case without having the original verdict be wrong. We also got a great performance from Marg :)

13. matt729

matt729 Dead on Arrival

I thought this episode was superb!! I love how the team stood by Cath the way; they never doubted her. The mentions of Lindsey, Eddie and Grissom were kind of a surprise.. I'm not too sure why. I absolutely love Brass. His pep talk to Cath was amazing. He reminded her to never doubt herself.. Classy man, that Jim Brass is.. Great episode.. Thank goodness! It's about time!!

14. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Releasing from tack, feel free to continue discussion. :)

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

It's funny, too. Because I think it was in the "Pilot" (?) episode, when Catherine was talking to Holly, Catherine said "Never doubt, never look back. That's how I live my life."

So it's kind of as if they brought the 'doubt' thing from the "Pilot" episode.