What keeps you watching CSI:NY?

• I love everything about the show!

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • I don't love [i]everything[/i], but I still enjoy watching the show.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • It's the characters that keep me coming back.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • I love the cases - this [i]is[/i] a CSI show after all.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I watch the show out of habit.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other (please specify - we like discussion! :D)

Votes: 6 8.6%

• Total voters
I love everything about the show. It has great characters, storylines and character development.

In my opinion it's the best CSI show from the 3.

i have been watching NY since day one for characters. i wasn't going to really watch the show but i figured i'd give it a try. in the first ep alone i was so taken by the characters and the way the show was written and performed had me hooked.

sometimes i'm not thrilled with the way the characters are written and some of their storylines (D/L S4, Mac's 333 stalker, Mac and the Cabbie Killer) but i'm a fan i'm dedicated to the characters.

I'd say some of the characters and the actors who portray them keep me watching. Also I keep holding out hope that things that bother me most about the show will improve. And I think getting involved in the on line fandom keeps me watching too. I like reading and posting here and other places so I keep watching so I can keep up with that.

That's exactly why I watch too, I think. For me there are so many things the show has dropped the ball on, and so each week I tune in hoping they will pick it back up again...and I'm sure a lot of it is out of habit now, too: its wednesday, therefore I must watch CSI:NY.

The characters are what really draw me in though, and so if anything, I'll keeping watching for Adam or Flack or a really compelling character/actor, regardless of how disapointing the actual show is.

I love everything about the show. Even the things that I don't like. :lol:

Thats a viewers prerogative!:lol:

I think that fact that we all grumble from time to time on here shows how invested in the show we are.

Personally I wouls say certain characters and the quality actors who portray those characters keep me watching. In other seasons I would have said the interesting cases but not this season, I don't think the cases so far have been particularly memorable - I hope that changes for the season finale!

Last edited:
Yay, lots of responses! :D

I'm definitely with you about the more minor characters, Nerazzurri_89 - they might be there less, but they're still great characters portrayed by great actors. I love them just as much as I love the more major characters - in fact, I love some of them even more. :)

And what about Adam????? Would you change a csi case-related episode for a csi-case-Adam-related episode? I know i would prefer more Adam!
Yep. I like episodes that have a more personal connection for the characters - even when I don't like them (to copy Elsie :lol:). Even if I'm not a huge fan of every little thing about those episodes, I appreciate that TPTB make them.

CSI:NY's the show I don't nitpick too much compared to other shows as I watch it for the entertainment value and mostly to get away from the garbage elsewhere on television.
Haha, that's funny - I'm the exact opposite. :p This is pretty much the only show that I do nitpick. (Well, okay, I'll nitpick other shows sometimes, but not with the same passion and seriousness. ;) Most of the time, I just watch other series to see what happens.)

I know it doesn't make sense, but in my world it does. It's almost like the annoying things, such as lack of continuity and the cases that defy belief, add to the charm. I like to get annoyed at the shows that I like, and to grumble about them every now and then, it all adds to my enjoyment. :) I really do just love CSI: NY.
It makes sense to me. As much as I get annoyed by the show, I don't want to give it up - and it's much more fun to be able to complain sometimes instead of just loving everything. It's a much more dynamic experience that way. If a show is just fun to watch, I don't give it much thought after I turn off the TV.

And I think getting involved in the on line fandom keeps me watching too. I like reading and posting here and other places so I keep watching so I can keep up with that.
Yeah - this is my first (and so far only) fandom. I chat a bit about other shows and movies and such, and I follow a community or two on LiveJournal, but this is the only series for which I'm actually in the fandom. If I wasn't part of the online community, CSI:NY might end up like almost every other show I watch - I'm several episodes behind, even for series that I really really like. I just can't find enough hours in the day to keep up with so many programs. But with CSI:NY, I make the time because I want to be able to chat about it and know everything that is going on.

I :adore: TalkCSI!

Hi!
This is my first post in Talk CSI, my favorite show out of the CSIs is CSI NY. I have been a fan since season two.
Welcome to the board! :D

I think that fact that we all grumble from time to time on here shows how invested in the show we are.
Exactly. Would I spend so much time complaining about a show I didn't care about? :lol: If I didn't love it, I would just give it up. :p

I know it doesn't make sense, but in my world it does. It's almost like the annoying things, such as lack of continuity and the cases that defy belief, add to the charm. I like to get annoyed at the shows that I like, and to grumble about them every now and then, it all adds to my enjoyment. :) I really do just love CSI: NY.

That explains with me why I love it I love the fact you can grumble at how a certain theory is sooo far fetched or a gadget its way to fancy for them to get or the fact Mac is yet again in danger it makes it all the more gripping.

The characters are also big for me I love there interaction more than i do in most shows they just all click and works. And Flacks sense of humour its always been a soft spot for me with sarcasm.

I also love the buzz that surrounds NY in it that they are always on the go. Where LV is slow and steady and Miami is way to bright and shiney for me. NY has tha buzz which makes you kinda watch more.

Out of the CSIs another reason I like CSI NY is that in my opinion is the one CSI show that I feel is the best paced episode no matter of what the plotline for what the episode is.

Maybe it's just me but this show never bores me. I get easily bored with shows, I usually stop watching *cough*csimiami*cough*. But i always come for more CSI NY. I love the little moments on this show. Like Flack's lines, and flugly ties. Adam's dorkiness is adorable! His what up?s. Danny's glasses--which I terribly miss. Stella being all motherly all the time. Mac being fatherly. Hawkes einsteiness. He's a freaking genius. Angell's kick-assness(wow, i've added the suffix ness a lot). And gotta love Sid's creepy place:) They're like a little CSI family.The cast is definitely stellar.I never want to miss anyting.

I'm teetering between my love of the characters and watching out of habit. :(

I started watching the show because of my crush on Gary Sinise, but instead of oogling over him, I was drawn into a damn good show. The cast was great and strong. It was compelling enough to make a part of my viewing routine. It stayed that way for a few years.

It's the inconsistencies that get my panties twisted. I'm missing what made the show different and stand out. The talent behind the cameras made for great material for the talent in front of them. It was more of a pleasure to watch the show, but now it's just routine.

Sure, a lot of what I'm saying probably would make people wonder why the heck do I keep watching if I am so ambivalent about it? But, it comes down to hope. I'm hoping that the show will re-capture me as a fan. I'm hoping that the show will get better. I'm hoping for something to make me say that the show is credible again. Until then, it's sort of like background music when I'm folding laundry. :)

after posting in this thread a little while ago i rethought my answer. it's still the same i like to watch it for the characters. i like to write scenes and stories and my favorite thing is to just write the characters. NY to me is a great character study b/c the writers seem to have ADD and change them all the time. what makes these characters so interesting to watch is the acting. i like to see the cast act with what they are given and how they can play their characters when they're put in a tough spot or when the writing isn't at it's best.

it all snowballs together the writing of the characters, the acting, and the cast.

i also watch out of habit as well. hell i watched NY last season when it was almost unbearable to watch. it's a habit it's addicting. i always wanna stop watching Grey's Anatomy but i can't that too is a habit. this just proves to me i am/we who post on here are all big fans of the show were dedicated.

i like this question b/c then thought about why i watch the other shows that i do haha.

Great idea for a poll and discussion. :) Only got time to parachute in briefly, but it's been fun reading everyone's take on things.

I've asked myself that question countless times after a few of the more exasperating eppies :lol: and yet, I do watch.

Short answer is, well, honestly, ...stubborness. :p A stubborn if pragmatic optimism, and curiosity about each new ep.

Voted Da Characters. If it weren't for the characters I wouldn't tune in. If it weren't for the characters the show would have little that sets it apart. It would be rather generic and anonymous, and there are lots out there to choose from. The show's definitely had drastic ups and downs for me, but the characters within a loose framework are what have kept me interested in coming back. I'm curious what they'll find themselves dealing with and how each will go about it, and it does matter to me less what than how.

Apparently I'm not the only one to feel this way, but also Hope. That stubborn optimism for ever better things for the show. That it will find a way to really reach the level I've wanted to see it hit. But why do I care about it at all...?

Mostly ...out of all the shows out there, somehow, it's my Show. I adopted it. And I wanna see it do well. It engages me, it frustrates me, it exasperates me beyond belief, wearies me, entertains me, occasionally stretches me or catches me unawares. I've followed this series since before it had a city suffix confirmed at all, and for some inexplicable reason, I've stuck with it to one degree or another since it started. I think the inexplicable includes the decision to set it in New York, and then the casting of it. (I also retain a certain curiosity about who Rick Carlucci might have been :lol:).

I've adopted these characters. The show is at it's best when a case challenges them, has an impact and an emotional resonance for them, and when they in turn entertain and challenge us. Strong cases and stories serve both, provide the best material for the characters, and gives us as viewers the best ride-along with them. Nor do I hafta like the characters all the time, or agree with what they do. Sometimes the most interesting characters are those you do happen to feel a certain warmth or affection for but yet wanna shake them by the lapels all the same. Still, moments that also affirm or surprise with new reasons to like characters are also great. The show really shines when actors are given or find moments between them to play, contributing to details which, were you to strip them away, would leave the show diluted and devoid of a certain pulse. It's already lacking the swagger and cohesive style it once had. Loose the characters and the rest fades.

Because of the show, I also found the community here, and that's just been an added bonus :lol: :p

Said a ways back in Dear Writers that the characters have been the show's ongoing saving grace; where the city of New York at one point used to be the soul of the show, the characters have remained it's heart. The cases alone will not have me tuning in, but the cases hafta be challenging all the same or what is the point. A balance between character and crimesolving is what what will keep me coming back. These characters in particular.

Great poll-subject! :)
I've thought about quite often why I've been stuck in CS:NY for over four years now! :cool: Well I think it's basically cause of those wonderful characters! :bolian: Especially Mac Taylor's character.:adore: I dunno really if something tragic would happen to him would I still watch the show...

I voted "Other" because I watch strictly for Flack. I loved the potential of the character from season 1 (a police "blue blood" coming from a long line of cops, his father a legend in the department). Too bad he didn't get any real story lines beyond is one episode in S1, but he's still pretty, still snarky/funny, still kick ass in tracking down the perps. If he ever leaves the show, I'll be leaving then, too.

I love everything about the show!
I don't love everything, but I still enjoy watching the show.
It's the characters that keep me coming back.
I love the cases - this is a CSI show after all.
I watch the show out of habit.
Other (please specify - we like discussion! :D)

PLEASE don't ask me to pick just one. PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!
For me, there's 4 answers. The last 4 choices.

It's the characters that keep me coming back. I love Mac, Flack, Hawkes, Sid, Adam, Angell, Lindsay, Stella. I'm not sure how I feel about Danny.
*runs and hides from the Danny fans*

I love the cases - this is a CSI show after all. <---Enough said.

I watch the show out of habit. I'm so hooked it's a habit.

Other (please specify - we like discussion!:D ) 2 words: Gary Sinise. He's hot and I love how he plays Mac. I love leader of pack types. Way Gary plays Mac, I totally buy him as the leader, the head of the team.

Last edited:
Back