Danny in a TV Guide Poll... *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 20, 2009.

?

Why did Danny make the 'characters most likely to die' list?

1. He's happy--and characters don't get to stay happy in dramas

16 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. He's gotten boring--the character is lacking the passion he had originally

26 vote(s)
    37.1%
  3. He's played out as a character--nothing left to do with him

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. His death would be the most shocking

23 vote(s)
    32.9%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

So I was reading through the new issue of TV Guide this morning and noticed they did a poll about which characters people thought would die by the end of the season. Izzie from Grey's Anatomy was in the lead, followed by Juliet from Lost...followed by none other than Danny from CSI: NY with 8% of the vote.

I have to admit, I was surprised to see Danny in the poll. Even when we didn't know who was going to die, I didn't quite consider him a serious possibility--though at the same time, I did think if it was him, that would be the most shocking death, and certainly the one with the most impact on the show and other characters (aside from say, Mac and Stella, who we knew it certainly wouldn't be).

So why do you think Danny made a poll that only listed four characters? What about the character now makes the general population think he could be killed off the show? Is it that he's happy...or that his character is stagnating...or that he seems to be played out? What are your thoughts?

2. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I think his character has gone dry in the last season or so. He just isn't the same Danny he was back in S1 and S2, when I liked him better.

3. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

i agree i think its being tied down to lindsay thats made him like that it feels that the only scenes he can get are when she is around when shes gone its like he fades into the backround and that is not like danny at all

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I think he was on the poll because his death would be more shocking. Despite some fans declining interest in Danny, I think he's still a very popular character and the audience wouldn't expect him to be the one killed.

5. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Well TPTB have been slowing killing the character for a while now, so why not go the whole hog!

It would be interesting to know if people thought Danny was likely to die because they think TPTB are likely to kill the character off or they think Carmine is likely to want to leave the show? Personally, I would find it highly unlikely that TPTB would want to kill the character but the way Danny is going lately I can still see the latter as a possibility.

6. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I voted that is was because he had gotten boring, but I do agree his death would be one of the more shocking (if not the MOST shocking) one to occur. But sadly, he is only a shadow of the Danny Messer from Seasons 1 and 2, and even though we've gotten brief glimpses of his old persona in the last couple seasons, I don't think we have gotten him back...

7. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

^ I agree. Nobody would expect Danny to die. To me, he and Mac (and maybe Stella? But I'm not that sure) are completely untouchable. If any of them died, it would be quite an unexpected blow unless we knew in advance that they want out.

8. FlackFan01

FlackFan01 Police Officer

I didn't want to get into too many details about WHY he's so dry, but yes, I agree, the whole D/L thing seems to be dragging him down. I just hope that starting with S6, things get better. I hope Lindsay gets better. If not, it's gonna be real hard to watch the show. I just wish there was a peaceful, polite way to bring that to a close so we don't have to sit through all that. AB is part of the issue, but so is the writing. If it were written better, I'm sure AB could make some improvements. Something has to get better, soon...

9. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

In the past Mac, Stella and Danny were the "untouchable". Now he left that cathegory and i think Flack is in his shoes.
    Personally i think he is boring with this current storyline. But still would be shocking his death

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I think it would be a shocker if they killed him off. Kind of like with Warrick, only even more so because we would have no indication that it was coming. With Warrick, you kind of expected it at some point both because of the character's problems as well as the actor's. But, with Danny, it would be totally out of the blue.

11. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I'm also surprised to see Danny mentioned in such a poll. I would, personally, never have considered him as a possibility to be dead by the end of the season. Although, I'm loving the poll in this thread, and I pretty much agree with the first three options. So why not kill him off? :lol:

12. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I picked the first choice, but it could just as easily have been the fourth. I certainly don't think the character is played out and I don't find him boring (yet!).

I really am viewing S5 as a transition season for Danny, a kind of investment if you like. They're increasing the stakes for him and therefore they increase his future potential. Of course I could have got it completely wrong and they're just going to turn him into a happy family man who does nothing of any interest. I doubt it though. Tptb aren't that stupid are they?

I think the problem with Danny this season is that they gave him the baby storyline and decided that was is. We're so used to seeing Danny with many more layers that it does seem as though he's somewhat diluted at the moment. I blame the writers. They are notorious for picking and choosing the characters they develop and letting the others fall by the wayside. That being said, Danny's had a lot of complex development in previous seasons and it would seem tptb are focusing on bringing some of the others (Flack, Hawkes and even Adam) into play a bit more. That's only fair imo. But, I admit to missing seeing Danny angst. Hopefully we'll get to see some of that in S6 (if he survives that is :lol:).

13. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Sucks that I’m watching a re-run of Season Two’s episode Recycling as I’m typing this… That’s when Danny was at his best, to me. Love how there’s little Ruben is talking to the pervert and how Stella and Danny are processing the news stand that’s in front of the building that gets blown up at the end of the next season… :lol:

To be fair, the poll asked who has the ‘best chance of being killed’ and since he has the lowest percentage, he has the least likelihood of being killed. Maybe his inclusion on the poll was an obvious wrong answer or bad guess. No way are they going to scrap the character. There’s just so very many more ways that they can still ruin him and call it maturity. :rolleyes:

As of my typing this, he’s up at 9%. :guffaw:

14. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I agree with you 100% JellyBelly. Danny in transition in S5 and an investment for future seasons is the best theory I have heard yet and one I can really get along with. They have showed us just a bit of the "jump first and then look down" part of his personality in Point of No Return, which shows us that he's still in there. I look forward to seeing him in season 6 to see how he handles those urges to jump.

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I picked the He's gotten boring--the character is lacking the passion he had originally option. He's lacking the character that he had in the first three seasons, and to be honest, he started to lose his spark in the last few episodes of the fourth season. But he really went downhill this season.

If they really wanted to shock us with a death, it would be Mac.