"A Space Oddity" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 12, 2009.

1. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I guess I was using myself as an example as that type of nerd. I've seen Star Wars and enjoyed it. I loved Star Trek: The Next Generation. However, I don't really care for the other Trek shows (even the original) and have never gotten into others (Battlestar Gallactica). I'm more of a casual sci-fi watcher. Greg could be similar in that regard. He's seen some television and movies of the genre. Probably even enjoyed a few of them. He did say in Leapin' Lizards that he practically grew up on the The X-Files (though I see that as a different genre). He probably just isn't as into it as Archie, Wendy and Hodges. Kinda like Mandy who watched sci-fi (Mr. Ed :lol:)but wasn't a die hard.

I know...:( I just like to think of other reasons they weren't there. Cath and Greg are two of my favorites and I do wish they had been there. So I try to make up possible excuses besides TPTB being a bunch of ****ers. :lol: However, I also realize that with a show that stars an ensemble cast, it can be difficult for all the actors to be in all the shots. Perhaps there was a shooting conflict or time issues. Like myfuturecsi pointed out, maybe Marg and Eric were shooting different scenes. I do agree though that Nick could have referenced them or have a cameo of them in the breakroom waiting with popcorn or something.

2. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

The ratings for this episode: 15.717 million viewers, 3.8 in the 18-49 demo

Although the total viewers dropped from last week, the demo remained steady, so that is a positive sign, I think.
    FYI, The Office won the demo for the night with a 4.2 and Grey's was a repeat.

3. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Well, there's been many scenes with Greg and Catherine where Nick wasn't there..so I don't think people should get too upset if Greg isn't in one scene.

I don't see he needed to mention them at all. The last scene was devoted to Hodges and Wendy.

Well most people predicted the show would be a lot lower than that, so I think it's holding steady and doing well for a show that's lost three cast members and is nine years old.

4. erep

erep Witness

I know I'm late coming to this discussion, but here's by proverbial two cents' worth:

I thought the episode was hilarious and well-written. Liz and Wally were very entertaining. I enjoy these occasional "fun" episodes of CSI. My favorite in this "genre," if you can call it that, was "Rashomama."

As a total aside, Archie Kao looked H-O-T in that genie costume.:)

All in all, a succesful episode.

One gripe: if we are to believe that Ray is really only a CSI level 1, then he should have different lines, less responsibility, and far less influence on the other characters. I think the producers and writers, in their (understandable) attempt to push Fishburne forward as the new leading man, have lost perspective on what the *character* needs to be to be believable. I want more Catherine, more Nick, more Greg and, of course, all the lab rats!!

5. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

We're fine with him not being in a scene. It's that the scene being referred to was a clear team-bonding type scene, and I would have expected Greg and Catherine to be included, especially Greg since Cath is the supervisor.

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Eric may have had to film another scene, I don't think he was left out on purpose. I speculate the crew is trying to finish the season.

7. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Exactly. It's not that I expect him to be in every scene, but to me it just felt like he and Cath were both left out of an important team bonding scene. And I understand Nick wanting to make friends with the new team members, that's fine and dandy. But, why can't they have Greg and Cath there too? Greg hasn't had a chance to do much bonding with Ray and Cath hasn't been given much of a chance to do much bonding with Riley.

If this was the first time this had happened lately, I'd say okay maybe Eric had something else he had to do. However, it isn't the first time and unfortunately it most likely will not be the last. Greg has gotten the same treatment in past seasons as well. It's frustrating to those who view Greg as one of their favorite characters. Nick is my other fave, obviously (I love them both equally lol). And I get upset if its felt like he's left out of scene he shouldn't be left out of as well. Only thing is, fortunately it doesn't happen that often with Nick like it does with Greg. One time or once in a while is one thing and I understand if the actors have other things they are dealing with... but, its been more than once with Greg. I have a hard time believing its just a coincidence.

He did at that. :) I've always thought he was a cutie anyway.

8. csi_fan7

csi_fan7 Hit and Run

i think it is about time they addressed the Wendy and Hodges thing ( i don't know what you would call what they have)

Also major awesomeness to Liz Vassey for being able to pull of the outfits she had to wear for the daydream sequences.

My favorite part was when Wendy found out what Hodges said to her at the convention, it was the most adorable moment ever:luvlove:

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Ok, with all this Greg and Cath not being in the last scene thing.

You all have to remember this. They very well could've been written into that scene, but........

1. The script was changed at the last moment

or​

2. It was filmed with Nick asking them, but it was edited out.

or​

3. I have read that they can be shooting two episodes at the same time (because they're always cutting it close with getting the show ready for airtime), that Marg was shooting next week episode that she is the focus on and maybe, just maybe, Greg is in this one a lot too.

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, that could be true. However, they (especially Greg) seem to be left out a lot. It's hard not to be frustrated with it when it happens what seems like often. I've tried very hard for the most part to give tptb the benefit of the doubt, but when the same thing (seemingly) happens over and over again, it becomes increasingly harder to do.

However, at least this time they had a scene where Cath actually got to act like a supervisor (the scene with Hodges) and at least they had a scene where Greg actually got to interview someone and be out of the AV lab for a change. So, props to the writers for those scenes.

I still do think though that it wouldn't have been hard to write in a small mention from one of the characters about why Greg and Cath were not there in scene such as that (ie: a team bonding scene). But oh well, what's done is done and cannot be undone. It can only be improved upon and let's hope that it is in the future.

I agree. Kudos to her. I bet Liz had a blast dressing up in all those different costumes. I know I would have. Of course I wouldn't have worn that blue thing. Loved the color, but not the style. :lol: Though it looked great on her. :)

11. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Releasing from tack, feel free to continue the discussion. ;)

12. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Was worried they somehow ruin the whole Hodges/Wendy thing ,but I think it was hilarious and the end scene :luvlove:...( I confess I'm a slash girl at heart , but they have great chemistry )
    Yep can only agree ,respect for making those outfits work *g*

Brass facial expressions were once again the best *lol*
    I too miss at least a comment about Greg/Cath in the teambonding scene but maybe Nick will be with Greg or Mandy at the next con :rommie:

13. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

WOW. I actually really enjoyed the episode. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the episode. We need those funny episodes every once in a while to break up all the depressed episodes. And as much as I was bummed about the Hodges situation, I actually liked him in this episode. Am I a new found Hodges/Wendy shipper? Maybe...but I will save that for the shipper threads :). Overall I gave the episode an eight out of ten.

About the end scene, I also noticed the lack of Greg AND Cath and found it a little odd. I figured it was Riley, Nick, and Ray because they were dealing with the case more than Greg and Cath. Greg's role is shrinking. Was it purposeful? I don't know, but I definitely took note. I guess the reason why I noticed so much was because the old group always did ending scenes like that in season five and six. I just miss it a little.

14. church2001

church2001 Witness

A little trivia but all three credited writers on this episode were Star Trek writers (Naren Shankar on TNG, Weddle and Thompson on DS9), so the Trek references weren't big surprises. The Ronald Moore cameo, however, was the biggest surprise of the episode (incidentally I have a feeling Star Trek TNG probably got a similar reaction from fans much like the "re-imagined" BSG)

15. Kohoutek

Kohoutek Prime Suspect

I am so glad I loved this episode.. After the debacle with the 200th, I was beginning to think I'd wasted the last nine years of my life! I felt like the convention fans watching the "re-imagining of Astro Quest" :lol:
    I just watched this episode with a smile on my face all the way through. Good plot, not too convoluted, great acting as always... I just thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus it brought me back to posting on this forum, so that's another reason it was ace. (I lurked after the 200th, but just couldn't bring myself to post, I was so traumatised... lol!)