"A Space Oddity" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 12, 2009.

1. andsoareyou

andsoareyou Dead on Arrival

I love Wedges...even if they never really hook up as a couple, I think they have great chemistry, and I love seeing them work together. I totally agree about the Brass comment, though, it made me laugh. My opinion on Nick: they had been hovering over him for a while, and he just needed to get his job done. Nick can't do much wrong in my book....I'm biased!

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

What happened to CSI? I felt like I was watching a 3rd rate lame wanna be "Star Trek" episode, where were William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy? or the Hodges & Wendy show, what's next Archie and Henry? at least in "Lab Rats" they were accomplishing something, what was the point of this ep.? Hodges and his cheesy wig, having twisted fantasies about Wendy:evil: and Wendy in his 'dream sequences' writhing and slithering around, in a sequin type outfit.. I like her doing her lab work, but not seeing her in this capacity, even though it was in his obnoxious brain. Tacky.. He still doesn't have a clue he thinks he's cool. and he's so not:rolleyes:...The rest of the cast were hardly there. Greg, where's the quirky fun loving guy we used to know? And Nick, Cath & Doc all seemed so disconnected Riley, why is she here?, her role so small:confused:The only constant and great was Brass, I didn't find this ep. cute, funny or interesting, just dumb. And at the end Dr. Langston, he's a classy, brilliant guy and talking about Orchids with Nick, this is a far stretch.. I can't imagine hm watching some Astro Sci-Fi DVD show and acting excited, unbeliveable, not his cup of tea.. how embarassing:( The last scene with Hodges and Wendy making goo-goo eyes at each other..gag me.. pathetic:alienblush: this is my opinion my views and my ideas~

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  3. kc_from_kc

kc_from_kc Police Officer

Desertwind, maybe now you understand how some of us felt about gsr (not that it was a bad relationship, just that it, or any other romantic relationship, had no place on a show about science.)

I, too thought the episode was a little wacked out for CSI, but wasn't it written by different people other than the regular csi writers? That would explain a lot.

The break from all the Ray time was nice. This wasn't a horrible episode, but it just was not the csi I love. I don't think it's been the csi I love since season 5, but still, this episode was just so OOC.

4. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Agree - the wig was lame, the fantasy sequences were cringe-worthy, Wendy doing her slither dance was uncomfortable to watch, and some of it was very tacky and not in a good way.

Disagree - they underused the rest of the team (this was a Wedges-centric episode, and in that context, I think the rest of the team got decent screen time), Hodges thinks he's cool (I think the distinction here is that he considers himself important, not cool), Dr Langston wouldn't watch a cheesy sci-fi show (hey, c'mon, even the brightest people enjoy goofy sci-fi nonsense once in a while, and he wasn't always as classy and accomplished as he is now, so it's not such a stretch to think that he watched the show a long, long time ago).

5. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I think you're being a little harsh, Desert. Maybe I'm biased, although even I'll admit that the fantasies were a much, but I don't really think it was that bad of an episode overall.

Greg~ Yeah, he's been a bit out of it lately. He's been like that since the season started, though, so you can't really blame this particular episode for that.
    Riley~ I thought she was it the episode for a good amount of time. She was in it more than Cath has been recently.
    Langston~ So you're saying that classy, brilliant guys can't watch Sci-Fi? :confused:
    Hodges~ He's just a dork. I don't usually take him seriously, anyway. Yes, he thinks he's special. But I don't hate him for it; I actually find it amusing.
    Wendy~ She does stuff in the lab a lot. It was (while annoying) funny to see her somewhere else.
    Wedges~ Sometimes it gets to the creepy place, but most of the time it's just light, flirty fun. And competitive. We must not forget the competitive.
    Fantasies~ Like I said, they were annoying. But so in character for Hodges, really.

Just IMHO.

ETA: 1) kc from kc, your avatar is awesome.
    2) Wow, apparently I'm not the only one with a response.

6. dandylion

dandylion Hit and Run

I just flat out loved it. I know it helps that I'm a huge sci fi/Battlestar/Trek geek, but I thought the whole thing was very well done. And sure, we don't normally see Hodges or Wendy in that light (or those costumes :) ), but I guess it was okay with me because if Hodges were to actually have fantasies about her, I think they would probably be a bit, umm, warped. Like tciddaisc said, they were in character at least. The part I did like a lot was that as over the top as the fantasies were, the "real life" scenes between Hodges and Wendy were very touching, actually. And I, personally, can't complain about it being a show about them because a) I like them and b) it seems like they only get one a year...and it's nice to see supporting members of the cast shine.
    Also, I thought it was cool that Langston liked the show (as he mentioned in the autopsy room), but wasn't exactly a member of the fandom, like Hodges and Wendy. My dad was a professor, and he was a quiet fan of some really corny shows, too. :)
    Also, Brass, as usual made me laugh: "Who?!"

7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

Actually, he was doing fairly well in screentime for much of the season. It's only in the last few episodes that he's really been relegated to A/V duty. For a while now, it seemed like this was the first season since S3 that he'd really gotten much screentime, but apparently that's now ended.

8. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I was referring more to Serious!Greg, happyharper, but I understand what you said.

I agree with dandylion about the real life scenes. For how much I disliked the fantasies (even though they were in character for Hodges. come on, remember his slip-ups in You Kill Me and Chick Chop Flick Shop?) the "real-world" scenes between them were really well done. They were understated when they needed to be understated, but other scenes (particularly when she confronts him) were rather realistic in how a person would react in that situation.

9. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

One of the best things about this episode is that Ray was not shoved down our throats this time....

I enjoyed the episode too, it was adorable and funny. Hodges fantasies were hilarious! I love the one where Wendy was choked by the collar and Hodges Yelled: "But Catherine said it was ok!" Too funny, I grew up watching Star Trek so it was fun seeing all the spoofs of the episodes. SuperDave's "Im not [insert word] I'm a coronors's assistant dammit" was fun too.

Brass not knowing who Hodges was in the beginning was priceless.

I could have used a bit more Greg, maybe doing his own job for a change. Joining in on the investigation besides watching a video. Also he should have been included in the Nick inviting people to watch the video scene.

Wendy looked so adorable in all her little outfits. (My husband certainly thought so!)

All in all a pretty good episode

10. bookgirl20

bookgirl20 CSI Level Two

See I was thinking that Brass was a highlight of the episode for me. Not much script but he worked it good!
    -How'd you get this number? I laughed so hard I missed Hodges explanation, which was pretty funny in itself.
    -The Red Alert when he entered the geeks lair.
    - And I loved that he was dropping major big word lingo at the end with the professor. He's not just the brawn, he's a smartie too :D

11. matt729

matt729 Dead on Arrival

I would've enjoyed it a heck of a lot more if Hodges didn't keep having his.....fantasies. No offense to any Wedges fans, but I just think Wendy could do so much better. Other than that, intriguing episode, and I'm definitely ready for the next one!

12. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

That's your opinion and I respect that. Though I find it funny how you didn't find anything that Grissom and Sara did as pathetic or made you gagged. There stuff was much worse. Now you know why we found all the GSR stuff gagging us and pathetic. :shifty: I'm going to take a wild guess here, that if it was Grissom and Sara, than it would've been ok.

And yes, I thought the fantasy sequences were a bit too much. I don't mind the flirting between these two, here and there, but that was way too much. However, I can totally see all that in Hodges mind. I like how Hodges seems to be making headway and then he manages to piss Wendy off. :lol: You get him girl!

Now, Langston, being a scholar, could so enjoy watching Sci-Fi. What's wrong with that? Does that make him less of a person. Puhleez! :rolleyes: I watched Star Trek: Next Generation, does that make me less of a person. Don't think so.

I thought this episode was ok. It had its moments.

Doc Robbins and Super Dave? :guffaw: Those two were cracking me up.

I thought Brass would surely have more great one liners than he did.

That scene we he goes to those two geek's house? I bet you, anything, there is at least one person out there that has the same thing for Star Trek. :lol: Such obsession over a TV show. :rolleyes: How pathetic? Oh wait, that would be all of us too. :guffaw:

Nick, I liked the little testy Nick. Shows him taking more of a leadership role. I mean Hodges and Wendy were out of line. His expressions in this episode? Just love it.

So this episode was ok, not one of their best, but definitely better than the 200th episode. :rolleyes:

13. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

I so agree with you on that one :)

You can't just say an episode is bad just beacause you don't like the people who're in it... that's not objective...

And it was of course so much better then Mascara :thumbsup:

14. Half

Half CSI Level Two

:lol: That happens so often with them. I mean, really, that's not exactly uncommon with that ship. Actually, come to think of it, that's happened in every Lab Rats episode to date. Hodges does something smart, Wendy goes along with it, Hodges does something stupid, and she gets mad at him.

No offense, Desert, but speedystokesgirl has a point about GSR...

15. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

OK, once again I didn't like the whole Sci-Fi "Star Trek" episode, whether it had of been Super Dave and Archie, or Nick and Cath, etc. no matter, I don't like this type of scenerio, and on Hodges, he's a self-centered, pompous, obnoxious, unlikeable character, not to mention a hugh kiss-ass~ When Grissom told him he was leaving, he ran off like a spoiled child. And Wendy told him how much she'd learned and was sad to see him go, the opposite of Hodges, Wendy's a kind, caring, compassionate character. I just think it's a diservice to have her lower her standards to his level. And what women would be attracted to Hodges anyway? As far as the couple who left and are together, they were always enamored and smitten by one another, also kept their relationship private and discreet. Hodges is a braggart and tells everything to everybody. They're nothing alike in any way, shape or form. And, they respected and admired each other, and had everything in common and were desolate and sad with out each other. And now are together and happy~ I think Wendy would do just fine if Hodges was gone~

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009